AbamsnOwned! An Ubers Hail Team

I finally completed my Hail team, and added in the last 2 Pokemon. It has won me matches, especially against stall teams.

Abomasnow (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP/24 Spd/20 SAtk/212 SDef
Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Wood Hammer
- Blizzard
- Leech Seed
- Protect
---

To start this off, I need Hail. This because there are alot of Kyogre Scarf leads, and the occasional Support Groudon lead that tend to want their weather up. Well, since Abomasnow is slower, Hail will always activate instead of their weather.

Wood Hammer hits Kyogre, and Tyranitar switch-ins, and does good damage on Blissey. Blizzard hits Groudon and Dragon switch-ins.

Protect scouts, and is for additional Leftovers/Leech Seed heals. It also stalls for Toxic Spikes and Hail damage.

Leech Seed is for anything else.

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/16 Def/240 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Light Screen
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion
---

Toxic Spikes is what makes this Hail team own.

Rapid Spin sees some use, but not much. I keep it b/c of Rayquaza, Walrein and Abamasnow's weakness to Stealth Rock.

I removed Reflect for Light Screen so it can live longer (on the Special Side) while still providing support to my teammates, and put alot of its EVs into Special Defense so that it has 216 Special Defense, or 432 under Light Screen.

I still need your help, should some HP EVs be moved to Defense?

Explosion is a last resort, and because its the only move bound to do decent damage to Ubers.

Giratina @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/244 Def/12 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-o-wisp
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Dragon Pulse
---

Standard wall and almost a requirement to my Hail team. It comes in on Fire, and Fighting attacks. It also comes in on Heracross which uses Megahorn on Abamasnow.

Blocks Rapid Spin, and also W-o-Ws physical threats.

Walrein (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 220 HP/56 Def/232 SDef
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Surf / Blizzard
- Roar
- Substitute
- Protect
---

Great wall, helps tank physical hits effectively that aren't Super Effective. Also, great because its an Ice type that doesn't lure in Steel or Fire moves, and gives Rayquaza/Giratina an easily switch out of Ice hits.

Surf works well if only because of enemy Kyogre's Drizzle, however its almost a shame to not use Blizzard with Hail and STAB. I leave it for just Abomasnow, but it would work great against Pokemon Immune to Toxic Spikes (Either them being Flying or Lati@s). The only concern would be hitting Steel types.

Dialga @ Expert Belt
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 120 HP/136 Atk/252 SpA
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Thunder
- Brick Break
---

Keeps Hail in effect, which is better than Rayquaza, and since it uses Expert Belt, it only takes 6.25% each turn from Hail, rather than 10% with Life Orb like Rayquaza had.

Pairs perfectly with Latias because they cover eachothers weaknesses quite well.

Fire Blast also works to hit Metagross and other Steels hard, and makes up for Overheat (Rayquaza had that).

Thunder hits Kyogre, and Draco Meteor hits anything else.

Brick Break scares Blissey and Heatran, oh and Tyranitar/Weavile (without missing).

Latias (M) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 112 HP/204 SAtk/192 Spe
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
- Wish
- Reflect
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunder
---

Latias takes Earthquake, Fire, Grass, and Electric attacks, which my team attracts. She works really well with Forretress as they perfectly cover eachother's weaknesses, and power up eachother's strongest Defense stat with the Screens.

The reason they use the Screen to power up their own weaker defense is so they can switch back and forth to eachother without worrying about the teammate taking a big dent.

Also, Latias needs Reflect to handle Pursuit.

Wish makes her a good supporter, and sets her apart from most other Wishers by being very fast. I did replace Jirachi with her, which means I lost Stealth Rocks, but don't count her out just yet, she does sweep, and that is what I needed. Plus, Thunder hits what Toxic Spikes can't... Flying types. Dragon Pulse hits other Dragons Immune to Stealth Rocks: Lati@s, and Rayquaza.

Metagross take heavy damage from Thunder, and Reflect won't let Latias go down either.

~~~~~

Overall I think I did what I could for a Hail team. I provided my team with the best Defensive Ghost, whom serves many purposes, I specifically use an Ice type that doesn't attract Steel or Fire moves, limited my Fighting weak Pokemon to only 2 of my team members, and each Pokemon on my team works together.

Forretress takes Toxic, Grass, Dark, Psychic, Ice and Bug attacks, and Rapid Spins, while Giratina stalls with Pressure and Rest, and Burns anything that isn't Poisoned, Walrein stalls really well with Toxic Spikes, and can take strong physical hits, even in Ubers, especially with Reflect up.

I will admit Rock and Dragon/Ice moves are strong against 3 of my Pokemon, but I rarely see Rock moves outside of Stealth Rocks anyways, so I added Latias for Wish support. Also, Walrein and Forretress can take Ice hits.

My main concern used to be that I needed a 2nd sweeper, but with Latias I feel I have kind of made a supportive sweeper, which may sound ironic, but it does make sense when you look at the set. Plus, Reflect keeps her around longer.

Help me out. My new concern is that I have 3 Dragons and only 1 Steel type, meaning half my team is weak to both Dragon and Ice. Do you suggest I use something else? Say perhaps a Scarf Heatran over Rayquaza?

I've seen OU Hail Teams, before, but one for Ubers? I don't have enough experience in Ubers to really be rating this, but I wanted to say this is a very nice idea. Props to you for coming up with it.

Thank you!

I am really trying my best to do what I can to make a Hail team work in Ubers.

I am concerned about Vaporeon. I have just recently switched to Jirachi. I am editing him in now.

Ok, so I now have 3 fire weaks, and only 2 resists.

I am concerned about removing Forretress and adding in Tentacruel. Tentacruel will take Fire hits, and Ice hits, as well as Fighting, as well as absorb enemy Toxic Spikes.

GB_Packers_Ftw

LOOKS LIKE FAVRE GOT SHUT DOWN
i dont understand how hail benefits you lol. Its a cool idea, but perhaps keep it in OU. Mence over ray and Blissey i suppose over giratina

i dont understand how hail benefits you lol. Its a cool idea, but perhaps keep it in OU. Mence over ray and Blissey i suppose over giratina
The point of this team is to function in Ubers, so I don't see the reason to say it would work better in OU. BTW, girantina is a physical wall, not a special one, so bliss definately isn't the best choice

GB_Packers_Ftw

LOOKS LIKE FAVRE GOT SHUT DOWN
My point was that using UU pokemon in Ubers doesnt always work out so great, and adding in that i dont understand how hail even benefits this team, i suggested the mvoe down to OU. But please do by all means keep it in ubers especially if it actually works. However i still at am a loss as to how hail really Helps your team out, besides walrein i geuss.

I've battled this team before, and the biggest weakness is Specs Kyogre. It takes away your Hail, and OHKO's almost every Pokemon on your team.

I don't know how to solve the problem without ruining the team itself though.

Rag

"aaaaaaaahhhh!"
Heatran is really devastating in ubers, and will tear a big hole in your team. Considering Palkia runs Fire Blast it isn't going to be stopped anytime soon. It will outrun everything on your team and won't require any prediction to get a clean sweep.

A bulky Latias would do you much good, as it will provide a really important Fire resist and can handle Palkia somewhat with ease. You may want to use Reflect on it too, as you can't afford to lose it to a Pokémon with Pursuit. Reflect will let you beat CBGross and the ever so common LO-Scizor with ease, and it will open a moveslot on Forretress. Gyro Ball will let you handle Darkrai. It's your only Dark resist, so it's worth consideration. A more special defensive EV-spread wouldn't be such a bad idea either.

Special defense spread for Forretress? Specifically what?

Also, Darkrai can 2hko Forretress with Focus Blast.

I really do think I need a Steel... Hmm, Perhaps a Dialga? Only 2 Weaknesses, and it doesn't include Fire. Also, packs a punch, but being part Dragon means it doesn't resist Dragon either...
I am considering Scarf-Heatran since it takes Fire, and Dragon Hits and threatens with its own attacks, but that adds another Fighting weak (2 are already from my Ice types).

Okay, I thought of Latias, perhaps even with Wish, but I knew I would then have 3 Dragon weaks, and 3 Ice Weaks.

Also, I would lose Stealth Rocks.

Also, do you suggest Latias Handle Metagross with a Hidden Power Fire?

Reflect, Roost / Wish, Dragon Pulse, and what 4th move?

Rag

"aaaaaaaahhhh!"
Thunder would cover Metagross well enough, but HP Fire will let you hit those pesky Scizor too. Grass Knot could be used to take out Tyranitar AND Kyogre, but is a really bad option alongside with Dragon Pulse as you'll be unable to hurt neither Metagross, Heatran or Scizor. Meh, it's really a personal preference.

Having that said, Forretress should invest a lot more special defence in ubers. It isn't going to take any physical hits really, only some Outrages from Rayquaza and Garchomp which you'll take even without any EVs. And to be honest, I haven't seen a single Darkrai who runs Focus Blast. :toast: Most of them usually runs Focus Punch to OHKO Blissey, which you'll take pretty good. Dark Pulse will do 99-117 damage (216 SpD neutral nature) from a 252 neutral nature Darkrai, which isn't even enough to 4HKO you. Anticipating Giratina already have absorbed Dark Void, Forretress would be your best bet against Darkrai.

Hmm, I guess. I mean I would see Dark Pulse do over 40% to Forretress, making it hard to switch it in since Hail already removes Leftovers' heal.

Ok so make it's Special Defense 216? I guess that would work... Also should Forretress pack Light Screen? Seems like he causes alot of opponents to switch to Special Sweepers if they don't already have it out against him. This would work especially well if I Light Screen as they send in a Fire user, and then switch to fire resistant Latias whom already has high Special Defense as they hit me with Fire Blast, especially if Latias will have Reflect.

Ok, I am removing Jirachi for Wish/Reflect/Dragon Pulse/Thunder Latias. [Now, I am concerned that it will have a hard time staying alive since it takes 6.25% each turn from Hail since it has Soul Dew over Leftovers].

I do realize that I now lost Stealth Rocks by taking out Jirachi, but I still think Forretress is probably better with Light Screen.

You can see my TEAM EDIT CHANGES ^~^~^ above in my first post.

P.S. Should I remove Rayquaza? Having 3 Dragon/Ice Weak Pokemon (Giratina, Rayquaza, Latias), makes it stand out.

I could use perhaps Dialga if I still want a Dragon STAB sweeper, and Fire Blast, without the Dragon/Ice Weakness... what do you think? Plus it would be 1 less Rock Weak, infact it would resist Rock attacks.

The point is to make it work like a TSS team but for Hail in Ubers.

The reason being is Blizzard works great in Ubers to deal with Dragons/Groudon/Lugia, so it is great to abuse it with Abamasnow. I don't use it on other Pokemon because 3 of my other Pokemon carry dragon moves which deal with Dragon types, and Abamasnow is the only 1 to gaurantee Hail for Blizzard to work (since there are other Weather changers).

Also, just like TSS, not all pokemon have to benefit from Hail.

My concern is how to properly work a balanced team into the theme.

I am considering Dialga over Rayquaza, as it provides a useful stealth Rock resist instead of a weakness, and isn't weak to fire like other steel types, nor is it weak to Dragon/Ice like other Dragon types. Additionally, it packs Draco Meteor. Latias would also work perfectly with because it is Resistant to Fighting and Immune to Ground, while Dialga would be Resistant to Bug, Ghost, Dark.

You, know what? I am going to add in Dialga over Rayquaza right now.

EDIT: ADDED IN DIALGA'S SET. ITS MIX DIALGA.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
First of all your Forretress has too many EV's. Second, why doesn't Latias have Soul Dew? O.o

O.o Wow, I didn't know one of these teams could actually work in Uberz.

If you ask of MY opinion, if I had to choose for something on a Uber Hail team, I'd pick a Regice with Psych Up, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and Counter. It might seem like a bad Blissey, but Regice has a STAB Ice Beam. It could also beat other Blisseys with Counter if they continouly batter you with Seismic Toss. Regice also doesn't slowly wear down by Hail.

That was just a thought though.

Perhaps even Blizzard and Thunder.

Blizzard is to be used in Hail, and Thunder in Rain (many opponents have Kyogre).

It seems interesting, but I fear lack of recovery makes it suffer.

Maybe: ResTalk, Counter, Blizzard

And who would he go over?

I am not so sure about that.

It can be used over Blissey, as a Special Wall, and can deal with Physical hits better than Blissey can, as long as they are not Super Effective.

Regice also gets STAB Blizzard to abuse in Hail, and Thunder, letting it handle Kyogre under Rainy Conditions.

Regice may lack a recovery move, but heck, doesn't Giratina? And people use it.

Regice will probably barely make the mark, and only under the right conditions (abusing her Niche, *Hail Team use only*), but when all things considered, she can funtion fairly well.

Let's not Forget about Psych Up, as many Teams use Calm Minders in Ubers: Mewtwo, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Blissey, Lugia, Jirachi, Celebi, etc. So Regice can use that to handle Special threats.

And a Special Wall dealing with Special Sweepers (mainly those weak to Blizzard) seems perfectly viable.

I mean, many people assumed Walrein wouldn't be able to take Physical hits well in Ubers, and as I previously pointed out, she takes Physical hits better than Forretress due to her high HP, and that is not even factoring in Ice Body!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)