Apprentice Program - Round Thirty One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
SOMETHING NEW THIS ROUND!

An apprentice tournament, run concurrently with the normal tutoring term, is going to take place this round! The first 16 apprentices who indicate their desire to participate in their sign up post will be given a spot... just respond "yes" to the tournament participation question included in the format given below.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to make the deadlines for this tournament; there will be no extensions of any kind. If you do not have the time to get assigned matches done promptly, it would be better for you to wait for a different round. Blue Kirby will be administering the tournament, and it will be managed in this forum. Be sure to pay attention to updates here to stay current on the proceedings! All standard rules apply, check out the Tutoring Tournaments page on the site for rules information! If you have questions about the tournament itself, Blue Kirby is your contact.

This round will last for 3 weeks, until
September 27, 2008

We are ready to begin Round Thirty-One of the tutoring program, which will focus SOLELY on D/P OU standard battling; If you wish to get a tutor for this round all you have to do is post your profile in the format below. Tutors will be an excellent resource for you to learn Pokemon team building and battling strategies, as well as someone who can help "initiate" you into the Smogon Community. They are here for you...so take advantage!

This round will last for 3 weeks, until September 27, 2008

Shoddy Battle nick:
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!):
Do you want to play in the tournament: yes or no?
Experience level*:A little about myself:

*You don't have to be good...just willing to learn. So, don't be shy; Sign up now!

YOU MUST BE ABLE TO USE SHODDY BATTLE TO PARTICIPATE!

I will begin assigning all tutors to appropriate apprentices. If you are still looking for a tutor after all tutors have been assigned...you have the option of looking through the tutor roster and PM'ing a suitable person (one who is online during similar hours) to ask them if they will take you on as a second apprentice. It's as simple as that!!

If at any point during this round you encounter a problem (difficulty getting together with your tutor, etc.), let me know and we will work to resolve the issue.

Round Thirty-One Match-Ups

imperfectluck - Too_Hungry35
JabbaTheGriffin - Nenoplan
Maniaclyrasist - Olie
MS - newbioform
Calciphoce - pichuman
Great Sage - matty
Max - MiaLeet
maddog - charmander162
husk - Espreon
IggyBot - Basics
Taylor - Giant Enemy Crab
jrrrrrrr - berserkpenguin
Jackal - ceramic
KD24 - Helios
Bologo - Mysterio713
DawnBringer - Kopie
Ancien Régime - Corrupted
Brawley - Shaft
Judgement - Chris is me
Ryo - Tyranitarphantom

Assigned to JabbaTheGriffin

Shoddy Battle nick: Neno

Time zone: GMT + 2. Paris, Köbenhavn etc.

Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 12:00 - 17:00 EST is the usual, but can be extended no problem.

Do you want to play in the tournament: yes or no? Yes.
Experience level: I have played for a month, and what I have most problems with is to make teams. And of course I don't have experience battling good players, only medicore like myself.

A little about me: I live in Norway and have played pokémon ever since RBY, but I started playing competetively just now. I really like the dephts of the game and really wish I was better so I could play really good games without having insufficient teams but still not use standard movesets etc.

I would like to ask for Jabba the Griffin as my tutor since we are on at exactly the same times, and as he said himself that he can make new players think outside the box, which I would really like to do.

Thanks!

EDIT: btw I spoke with Jabba earlier and he said it was ok

Assigned to Maniaclyrasist

Shoddy Battle nick: Olie

Time zone: GMT -7

Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 6-12AM
Do you want to play in the tournament: yes or no? For Shizzle :)

Experience level*: Well, I've got about 8 points in the tour, came close to winning one, and have been battling often, and succeding in tournaments I enter, at least a bit. Now, I'd love to just make another team, and get more practice against a seasoned pro.

A little about myself: Well, I have a Wii, and am very busy with school, but will still be able to meet with my tutor often.

btw, I have already spoken to Maniac about a week ago, and he has agreed to be my tutor for this round.

Assigned to MS

Shoddy Battle nick: newbioform

Time zone: +8 (Singapore)

Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): I'm not sure which Eastern are you talking about. It's 8-12pm in Singapore, 12-4pm in London and 8-12 am in New York, but I'm avaliable most other times too.

Do you want to play in the tournament: yes

Experience level: I have been playing for maybe 2 months and have basic competitive knowledge. My conservative rating on suspect is 1100. I am not good at team building and prediction and occasionally still get the speed of certain pokes wrong. Hopefully I can learn some useful things through this program. I have played against quite a few established players but mostly against other bad players.

A little about my self: I'm a uni student doing an actuarial studies honours degree. I am a devoted person and usually grasp things quickly (not happening with the whole prediction thing though).

Assigned to Calciphoce

Shoddy Battle nick:pichuman

Time zone:idk which one. i live in California, in the U.S.
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!):I am on usually at like eight to eleven or later
Do you want to play in the tournament: yes or no? more than anything
Experience level*:A little about myself: well i like pokemon a lot. i have played it since it first came out. but just recently i have decided to try it at a competetive level. it turned out im not that bad. but i cant make teams. i seriously need hard core team building help. that would make me so much better. also i need someone who will help me think a lil more strategically.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Assigned to Great Sage

Shoddy Battle nick: matty
Time zone: MNST
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 6-9
Do you want to play in the tournament: yes or no? MOST Defiantly
Experience level*: I play in a lot of tournaments; always need help with team building.
A little about myself: College Student at CU Boulder; think this is my 4rd round for tutoring.

Assigned to Max

Shoddy Battle nick: MiaLeet
Time zone: EST, -5:00 GMT.
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 7:00-8:00am, 2:30-9:00pm. Basically before and after school. Weekends vary.
Do you want to play in the tournament: yes or no? Sure, I'll try. :)
Experience level: In competitive battling, none.
A little about myself: I played Blue when it first came out, back when I was 5 or 6 so I guess I know my stuff. I stopped after LG to play MMOs. But with my senior year starting, I decided to quit MMOs and play something less consuming and more fun. So, two weeks ago I decided to buy a DS + Pearl. Dashed through it with my Torterra, Mismagius and Lucario, then decided that I'd like to try competitive battling. I read a few things about it back in RSE, but I never had the time to actually try it. Well, until now. I'm hoping this tutoring program can show me how fun competitive battling is.

Assigned to maddog

Shoddy Battle nick: charmandR
Time zone: pacific time? either -7:00 GMT. or -8:00 GMT.
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): around 8pm-12am
Do you want to play in the tournament: of course
Experience level*: A little about myself: I've been playing pokemon since the golden ages (red/blue) but just recently I've decided to go competitively. I'm just ok at team building, but what i think i need help on along with building is how to make better decisions while battling. i need to learn how to think two steps ahead

Assigned to husk

Shoddy Battle nick: Espreon
Time zone: Eastern (GMT -4)
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 5:00 PM - 12: 00 AM (Weekdays) 12:00 PM - 12: AM (Weekends)
Experience level*:A little about myself: My team building skills are not that good. My prediction skills are fine and I am fine when battling. I enjoy competitive battling; I am the type of person who doesn't give up that easily.

Assigned to IggyBot

Shoddy Battle nick: Basics
Time zone: EST (GMT-5)
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): I keep very odd hours, but I can alter them to fit my tutor's schedule. Generally speaking, Mon-Fri 5PM-1AM. Obviously not that entire chunk - I go out quite a bit! I'm mostly online from 10 PM - 1 AM
Do you want to play in the tournament: Oh, most definitely.
Experience level: I think that some of you (maybe most of you? I don't really even know anymore) should know me. I played a great deal of RSFRLGE(XD), and I have been fairly successful in some rather large tournaments. I have very little experience in DP, and I'm definitely looking forward to a capable teacher to help me get started. :)

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Assigned to Taylor

Shoddy Battle nick: Minijinx/Giant Enemy Crab
Time zone: GMT (England)
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 11am - 4pm. 4pm - 9pm in GMT
Do you want to play in the tournament: yes or no? Yes
Experience level*:A little about myself: I've been battling competitively in D/P since July 2007. Since then I would say I have been successful since I have reached the leaderboard on shoddy a few times. I have a few nitpicks which I really need help with, relating especially with Team building. I'm good with everything but that.

May I request someone like imperfectluck or husk?

Assigned to jrrrrrrr

Shoddy Battle nick: berserkpenguin

Time zone: GMT +10 (Sydney - Australia)

Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): I don't have any regular hours but I'm more than happy to work around my tutor's schedule

Do you want to play in the tournament: yes or no? yes

Experience level*:A little about myself: I'm new to competitive battling and have only been playing for about 2-3 weeks. I think I know all the basic skills in terms of team building and battling, but I've kind of hitted a wall and would really need some help to overcome it. The best thing about this game IMO is that you really get to devise your own strategy and implement it, so I while I've read loads of RMTs and suggested sets, I really try to be original and give my opponents a surprise. The thing is that I'm not too good at balancing between effectiveness and originality... so I'm really keen on getting some tips from the pros and hopefully when I do get better I could help out and discover sets or move usages that were previously overlooked. Thanks in advance~

Assigned to Jackal

me and calciphoce didn't really meet up due to different online hours/family issues on my behalf so im going to sign up for this again

ShoddyBattle Nick: ceramic/dragonfruit
Time Zone: GMT
Regular online hours (in EST): 11am-5pm
Do you want to play in the tournament: yes or no? If there is space, yes.
Experience Level: I've been playing for a while now, but never really got the hang of prediction, I'm hoping to get a tutor that can help me with it.

Assigned to KD24

Shoddy Battle nick: HeadHonchkrow
Time zone: +10 (sydney)
Regular Online Hours: 4:00am-9:00am (which is 4:00pm-9:00pm over here)
Do you want to play in the tournament: Sure, why not
Experience level: Meh (haven't done much since last time I applied), good at neither team building or prediction
A little about myself: Applied two rounds ago, but my tutor was unable to do much (think he was away or something)

Assigned to Bologo

Shoddy Battle nick: Mysterio713
Time zone: CST (GMT - 6)
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 7:30-10:30 PM EST mainly, but I can change that.
Do you want to play in the tournament: yes or no? Yes
Experience level: Average, I understand the concepts, but I can't build teams effectively. I'm also not too sure of the Metagame's threats and whatnot.
A little about myself: Just an average kid. Not much else besides that. I can count to ten in five languages. I also have random thought processes.

Assigned to DawnBringer

Shoddy Battle nick: Kopie
Time zone: GMT (Lisbon, London...)
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 8 pm to 1 am (which is 2pm to 7 pm according to the "smogon time zone")
Experience level*:A little about myself: I don't have much experience. I starter playing for about, hm, almost a month now. I use an UU team. I tried making another team, but I'm not that good at it (team building that is)

Assigned to Ancien Régime

Shoddy Battle nick: corrupted
Time zone: +1 GMT (Netherlands)
Regular Online Hours: Flexible, I will adapt to the tutor's schedule when possible. I have school on all weekdays, 'till 3 most of the time.
Do you want to play in the tournament: Sure
Experience level: I've been battling since the beginning of DP. I stopped wifi battling a while ago. And have been playing shoddy battle since then.
A little about myself: My battling and team building skills have been declining for a while. I need someone to bring me back up again. Team building seems much harder than it used to be, and being original has become much harder. I want to try out fun things, and would appreciate some tips on prediction ect.
Some things about myself: I'm english, but I moved to holland a while back. I'm a hockey player. And a dj for small partys (specializing in minimal, techno).

Assigned to Brawley

Shoddy Battle nick: TU-Schaft or hfacs
Time zone: GMT +1
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 8 am - 4 pm
Do you want to play in the tournament: yes or no? yes
Experience level: I'm not a bad battler at all, just checking how good the tutors are here and if they can learn me something ^_^. And ive been out for a while.. need to get back into it again.Btw I'm from Marriland but not a noob xD.
A little about myself: Im Schaft from Marriland, pretty well known there.. people might know me here too.. again just doing this to check the level here, which should be good.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Assigned to Judgement

Shoddy Battle nick: Chris
Time zone: Central
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 5 PM - 2 AM
Experience level*: I'm pretty experienced in that I know a lot about Pokémon movesets, stats, and battling. I basically am doing this because I'm only good at theorymon. I need a "coach" to help me fix the mistakes I make at battles. Also, any help in making team building a less agonizing process would be greatly appreciated.
A little about myself: Hi, I'm Chris, notorious for being a general prick! I'm a very confusing person in general. I dunno...

Assigned to Ryo

Shoddy Battle nick: Tyranitarphantom
Time zone: Eastern
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 4pm-10pm
Experience level*: Medium, i was an expert in advance, but im a DP noob
A little about myself: I know a lot about Pokemon(i could call myself a walking Pokedex), but i barely understand competetive battling, and could really use a mentor. i suck at making teams(only one team ive ever made has worked well)

If there is still a spot.

Shoddy Battle nick: Crinold
Time zone: GMT+1 (Amsterdam)
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): Every now and then, normally in the evening between 7 and 8. Of course on saturdays and sundays it is easier.

Do you want to play in the tournament: yes or no? If there is still a spot, yes.

Experience level: I know at least something about it but to say I'm very good, no. Most of my wins are because my opponents are overpredicting me and so they stay in instead of switching.
A little about myself: I prefer to play something like a Rain Dance or Trick Room team. No stalling because I just don´t like to play that way but rather more something with fast playing style.

Shoddy Battle nick: Twash / Twash_Man
Time zone: GMT (UK)
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 11am-5pm weekdays, 5am-5pm weekends.
Experience level*: Fairly good. Been playing in DP since 2007 (Jul). I play fairly well, I need help team building, which is by far what I struggle most with! I am very knowledgeable about the game.
A little about myself: I love Formula 1. Completely obsessed. I live in the UK, and like chilling out and relaxing. I would just love to improve some more! (:

Shoddy Battle: MetalgarX
Time Zone: GMT (UK)
Regular Online hours: I dunno the difference between GMT and EST, GMT- 7:30pm - 9:00pm, sorry guys I go to a school with lots of Homework
Tournament: Yes, but I am sorry I cannot use the comp outside these times except on weekends
Experience Level: Well I was introduced to EV's and stuff in DP, and I think I am fair( Approx 1000 on Standard, UU and Suspect). Not too good at team building, although I have been getting better.
About myself: I am quite reckless in battle, I mostly stay in in tough situations rather than switching out....I am also a fairly good spriter(see the duskull dex or my stuff in Super Spriting!!)

Shoddy Battle nick: Banana292

Time zone: GMT

Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): All day except school =/

Do you want to play in the tournament: yes or no? Nah I'd not remember and stuff.

Experience level* Fairly large. Been playing since the release over here on July 27 last year [I think], but I was EVing etc since about March. I know a LOT of theorymon stuff. I just need help with team building and with prediction [if that's possible>_>].

A little about myself: I dislike being the same as everyone and usually try to mix up. I'm known to be indecisive a lot xD. I'm also picky [and hypocritical] on grammar >_>

EDIT: It would be of great help if my tutor had MSN because I sit on that all day and night.

Shoddy Battle nick: Reno
Time zone: GMT
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): Due to college starting again, it will be around 3:30 PM to 12 AM

Experience level: I have played competitive Pokemon since 3rd gen. I think I joined late. I have been playing 4th gen for around a year I think. I do not consider myself bad, but I make mistakes that often cost me the game eg: sacraficing the wrong Pokemon, predicting wrongly.
A little about myself: Well, the thing I enjoy most about Pokemon is team building. I can't get enough of it. I have hundreds of teams that I have made, but just a few are good. I would like to learn prediction as although I can predict, I would like to get it near-perfect. I would also like help building teams. As I said, only a few of the teams I have built have been successful. I have just bought a Wii and Brawl, so I will be playing that as soon as it arrives. I am studying English, History, Resistant Materials and Philosiphy and Ethics for A-Level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)