Ultimate Fighting Championship

I'm rather surprised I didn't find any UFC threads. I really enjoy watching the fights and follow quite closely. So lets discuss all upcoming fights, match ups we'd like to see, and which fighters we consider the best.

UFC 92 has quite a few fights I'm interested in and here are my predictions:

Forrest Griffin vs Rashad Evans = Griffin by decision

Antonio Nogueria vs Frank Mir = Nogueria by submission

Wanderlei Silva vs Quinton Rampage = Silva by TKO

Feel free to argue them. :naughty:

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Not sure why you are surprised. MMA has grown a lot recently but remains a niche sport and this is a pokemon forum. Theres been a couple threads about UFC cards in the past though so this isn't the first.

Rather than predicting who I think will win, i'll make it different and say who I want to win.

Forrest, because he cannot ever seem to get credit, he beat Shogun, at the time considered #1 in the division and didn't get credit for it. Shogun "gassed and he never does", his "leg was fucked up". He followed it with a split decision win over champion Rampage, again at the time considered the #1 in the world in the division but it "was a split decision that could have went either way", "the champ should lose convincingly to lose his belt", etc.

I wish people would shut the fuck up and finally give the guy credit, starting with himself downplaying his skills and accomplishments. What more should you do than defeating back to back #1 fighters in the world? Perhaps defend his belt. Sadly, if he DOES beat Rashad, who is also an underrated monster, he still won't get any credit from it. Will follow the "Rashad wasn't really top 5 anyway"s as he was "just a TUFer anyway"s. Whatever.

Make it happen Forrest.

Fight #2

Mir is a bully and a jerk to my eyes, I wish he gets his ass kicked which realisticly will happen. Then again, Nogueria is far from invincible, especially at this time in his career and I wish people wouldn't consider him "without any doubt the 2nd best HW in the world" because I don't think thats true anymore and at the very least, certainly isn't without a doubt. Fedor, thats one without a doubt.

Rampage vs Wanderlei...

Can't root for someone simply to piss off elitist imbecile Pride fans considering they both fought there. I like both, but I'll pick Wanderlei because I believe he takes his shit more seriously simply gauging what's been happening recently in Quinton's life.

Again, no predictions, just picking my favorites.

edit : Damn you for this picture. I need to counterbalance a Québécois getting punched in the face with a Québécois giving someone else a beating now.

Forrest Griffin is the best light heavy weight and is god so yeah

Nogueria so he can bash Lesnar back to the WWE

Rampage even though he is mentally retarded

Farmer

But I don't dry tears, I just aim at them on purpose
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've never really followed it before but this thread has spark my interest in it now.

UFC 92 Predictions:

Forrest Griffin vs Rashad Evans = Rashad Evans by TKO

Antonio Nogueria vs Frank Mir = Nogueria by Submission

Wanderlei Silva vs Quinton Rampage = Rampage by TKO

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I love watching UFC, but I can never get it because I don't have a television :-/

I suppose UFC 92 will be available to watch online sometime...

Surgo you can just google and find a video somewhere usually after a day after.

Krack, I don't see Rampage winning; I think he still hasn't recovered mentally from the loss to Griffin.

I wish the thread was titled, "Mixed Martial Arts," I don't like the UFC to be the center of the MMA world, though it is. I won't hate though they did what they did to stay alive and beat out the other companies, though for this sport to survive I believe there should be more organizations to be competitive with the UFC like Affliction and whatnot. Anyways, I'll give my predictions of the final UFC card this year. This card has a lot of depth and will be exciting to watch.

Forrest Griffin vs. Rashad Evans

Alright, I'll take account of what Vineon said about Forrest not getting a lot of credit, because well he's still presume to have the title TUF'er. He proved to me awhile ago that he can hang with the best, thats why he beat Mauricio Rua. Though, I'll admit I thought Mauricio should've destroyed him and I still believe he can. But I won't make any excuses for his lost like other nuthugging pansies usually do. Anywas, Forrest has heart and is fighting another underrated fighter in Rashad Evans. Rashad is one of my favorites ever since he appear on The Ultimate Fighter and won in the Heavyweight division. He too also have heart and shows it in his flawless record. All lot of people believes that Rashad is boring, but in his recent fights you see a lot of new tools he's using in those battles, for instaces, kicks and better boxing. I believe though Forrest will always be known as an underdog and Rashad will be triumphant in this bout. So I say, Rashad with tko Round 2.

Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera vs. Frank Mir

Now, I too didn't like Frank Mir's smug attitude in the Season 8 of the Ultimate Fighter, especially for most of his behavorial ways. I don't know if it was video edit or something, but he really came out as a douche this season. There is really nothing much to say abut Noguiera except that this dude is the direct definition of having guts and heart in a fight. I can re-call so many of his fights that he overcame adversity and made huge comebacks. I know that he's aging, though I belive he's still a great threat in the Heavyweight division. I believe Nog will sumbit Mir in Round 3 with an armbar.

Wanderlei Silva vs. Quinton Jackson

Okay, I'll make this completely short, I believe Silva has Jackson's number no matter what type of environment. In a cage or a ring, Jackson just can't combat Silva's muay thai, especially if its in a cage. The clinch will only get even deadlier.

I only wanted to highlight the main fights of this card. So yeah, this will be a good event, and hope to hear from yalls responses after.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
though for this sport to survive I believe there should be more organizations to be competitive with the UFC like Affliction and whatnot.
meh.

On the contrary, this is exactly what is hurting boxing. I love the current dynamic. One big company with most of the best fighters and smaller companies you could think of as minor leagues.

I do not want to have to wonder what would happen if champion of one organisation fought the champion of another knowing its never going to happen.

And mma is not going anywhere, it doesn't need more huge promotions to survive.

That said. Mir was impressive last night and damn so was Rampage. Sweet revenge. Little sad for Forrest however, I thought he was handling himself superbly before getting taken down. Hopefully, people take Rashad seriously now, there is no question he is the real deal..... although he is likely facing Rampage next and I'm not sure I'd take him if I was a betting man.

EDIT: Vineon beat me with the results, I didn't notice the bottom of his post, oh well. I'll edit.

DAMN what a good event! Also I could be wrong but I'm willing to bet I posted the first mma related thread on Smogon. :D By the way, TONS of knockouts and stoppages in that event, google all the fights, you'll find em all. Hint hint Surgo. :) Don't waste your money on the bullshit PPV's when hardcore fans always post the fights online the next day.

Griffin vs. Evans- I absolutely love Forrest because he's got so much guts and he never give up. I picked Evans though for a few reasons: Jardine knocked out Griffin, Evans beat Jardine via judges decision, Tito Ortiz beat Griffin, whereas Evans tied Ortiz. Also Evans crushing Liddell sealed the deal for me. Only nod Forrest had was beating Rampage but Rampage didn't exactly have the greatest record in PRIDE FC either.

I'm not too happy to say my prediction here was right. Evans won via 3rd round TKO and imo was losing the fight until he finished off Griffin. Griffin almost knocked Evans down in the 2nd round I beleive but Evans showed some heart. Yay fur TUF guys becoming champs and all of the people that like to boo these guys can fuck off. Seriously. They're picking off legends and I find myself agreeing with Vineon alot in the few mma fight related threads and for good reason. :) Huge gratz to the new 205 lb champ! I'm really hoping Lyoto Machida will get a shot one day, guy's a beast.

Moving on. Mir vs. Big Nog.

FRANK MIRRRRR WOOOOW just amazing. I predicted Noguiera(sorry if I mispelled) too basically wear down Frank Mir and laugh and at any take down attemps but oh wow. I'm actually glad I'm wrong. Mir seems smug and kind of arrogant but the guy can fight. I find myself in love with wrestlers who can box really well. IMO if a guy is going to have two dimensions any combination of wrestler and boxer/maui thai is just destructive and Mir proved that. He absolutely dominated the fight and knocking down big Nog. a few times in the first round. I always expect Nog. to get knocked down but he usually wins in the end. However when he get knocked down at the end of the first and Mir gave him a smug look, I pretty much knew it was over.

Mir won via ground and pound second round. Don't exactly remember if it was KO or TKO since Nog. hit the ground and was pounded out. I'm assuming KO(correct me if im wrong please)

OK Finally the one I was looking forward to the most; Rampage Jackson vs. Wanderlei Silva...

wow wow big anticipation. However, if you look at these two guys without the bullshit easy-to-sell names, neither of them is that great anymore. Wandy isn't the dominate, agressive scary motherfucker he once was, and Rampage wasn't ever that amazing and PRIDE and made a name for himself in the US by beating the Ice Man. The 205lb class is just so incredibly competitive that I don't think any fighter is a notch about the rest. (Think Liddel past few years, Tito before him, Wandy in PRIDE, Fedor in HW)

I was rooting for Wandy since I like watching him swing like a maniac and just go all out, plus I was confident in him with his wins over Rampage back in PRIDE. Also Rampage is a cocky motherfucker so what can I say. Both guys came out nervous as fuck, and keeping their distance. I remember they both hit the ground and fucking scattered like a bomb fell inbetween them lol so they definantly showed some respect. Like I said 205 is so competitive and it just takes that one mistake for a guy to lose. Wanderlei made that mistake and was knocked out COLD in the first round.

I'm hoping 205lb stays extremely competitive and that no one guy can dominate. I sincerely don't think it's possible anymore since everyone is getting so damn good.

Overall, the only prediction I got correct (in the 3 fights mentioned) were the LHW title fight but whatever. Great event imo. Some other notable mentions: CB Dollaway(could be mispelled) won his fight and proved he's good, although cocky and arrogant as ever, Cheick Kongo beat up some Mostapha dude, and Matt the HAMMER Hamill won his match.

As for future events, BJ Penn vs GSP is going to be awesome. My fav 155 vs my fav 170 what can I say. :) I'm going to go ahead and say GSP will win just with his wrestling and ground and pound pushing the pace. If BJ Penn pours on the offense he can win.

Also Shogun Rua will be facing Mark Coleman soon. I'm looking forward to Coleman getting his ass beat and going back into retirement. No offense to Coleman fans, but I didn't like him much after he went on a fucking roid rage against a downed Shogun who pretty much broke his arm(due to a fall, nothing Coleman did) and then Coleman went on to flex in over corner of the ring like he accomplished something with Baroni pointing at him like he actually mauled Shogun or something. Whatever, we'll see what happens. I predict a Shogun TKO or tapout win in either 1st or 2nd round.

EDIT: I laughed when they showed Chuck's reaction to Wandy losing, you can tell he was extremely unhappy with it. Anyhow I'm hoping Rampage will have to fight at least one more time before getting a shot for a belt again. Since they're playing the good guy moves up a weight class to fight card, I wouldn't mind seeing Anderson Silva fight Rampage.

I can't stand Lesnar. The guy didn't earn the belt. He fought what, two fights? I don't like Mir either but Lesnar does not deserve it.

I was dissapointed Griffin lost.. Not much to say, I thought he was winning the fight up until the third round.

The Rampage knockout was pretty cool. Hopefully his head is back in to fighting and he works harder to make it back to the top.

You know, I'm somewhat okay for freak shows to enter MMA, etc...Kimbo Slice or WWE guys, but I don't want them to allow to get a title contention so fast, or gain more popularity or hype than the people who had to go through a lot of competition to get where they're at.

I still disagree with Brock getting the championship match, but I'll give it to him that he won fair. Does he deserve it, somewhat yes and no. Yes because he beat Randy Couture, and no because he didn't have a lot of fight under his belt in MMA. He lost is opener to Frank Mir, and decisioned Heath Herring which does not equal to championship contender. Like Kimbo Slice and EliteXC, the UFC is doing the same thing to get ratings and I don't blame then, its a business first and a sport second.

Now, to my UFC 92 predictions, well I'm very disappointed on how my matches went down. I'm a bit surprised at Noguiera though, I know he feels comfortable at standing up but we know he's not efficient standing up even to subpar boxing. It think Nog's JiuJits is better than Mir's and he should've done more to bring him on the ground. This is the same Nog who fought friggin Fedor twice and went through hellish rounds. Maybe the years of punishment is catching up with Nog I don't know. Though, he'll be back, he always does.

Now, I don't like both Brock Lesnar or Frank Mir, but I'll be pulling for Mir on this case because he showed great technique again Nog and I believe Brock should lose that title. That guy is too cocky like Mir, but at least Mir is having to go through more competition than him.

Like Nog, Wanderlei Silva's years of punishment is catching up. If you guys seen Pride, Wanderlei took vicious knockouts from the likes of Mark Hunt, and Mirko Cro Cop, etc.... Rampage just caught him, but like Nog, he'll be back as well. Now onto Rashad, i'm glad he won and I agree that he shouldn't be looked as an underdog because that when people are most vicious, when they're looked as a non-threat.

unless i'm mistaken, Lesner was slated to fight Couture because no one else wanted to fight him.

that's surely not his fault...

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
unless i'm mistaken, Lesner was slated to fight Couture because no one else wanted to fight him.

that's surely not his fault...

that and at the time, considering both Nog and Mir were locked up in the TUF season and were to fight next for the interim belt, there really wasnt anyone else that seemed very legitimate to fight Couture for the championship besides Werdum... and it is a good thing he didnt get the title shot when we saw in what kind of shape he showed up in his last fight.

As for freak shows, you'd need to define that. Kimbo Slice isnt really an out-of-the-ordinary physical specimen so I wouldnt call him that and if you call Brock Lesnar one, I believe that is a tad unfair because he is a legimate contender unlike real freak shows such as Bob Sapp, Butterbean, sumo wrestlers in mma, the korean giant Fedor fought, Andre the Giant, etc.

I find myself agreeing with Vineon once again lol. Lesnar was definantly signed on to pull up ratings but the guy wins fights. I doubt anyone expected him to beat Mir in his opening fight but he looked impressive until his ZERO experience in jiu jitsu showed. Whether you like him or not, he did dominate Herring and Couture couldn't even bring Lesnar to the ground. When Mir vs Lesnar 2 comes up, I predict someone's getting knocked out. I think Lesnar's going to be way too smart to get caught again and I dont think Mir can bring Lesnar down much like Couture couldn't. I'm not a wwe fanboy, in fact I hate it, but I am a little annoyed when everyone discredits Lesnar and calls him a freak, steroid user, wins because he's big (wtf its HW), lays on top of people, etc. I predicted he'd be beast after he lost to Mir and I don't think anyone can say I'm wrong honestly. Lesnar was definantly a ratings booster but imo he's proven that he's much more then that. I predict Lesnar will win either by TKO or KO over Mir despite Mir's good performance. Er either his good performance or Nog. just standing there getting beat up. :(

I think we should all point out the guys that actually DO take roids, that should be discredited....hello Tim Sylvia, Sean Sherk, and buncha others. I can't confirm it, but I'd bet that Coleman's been injecting hormones for years.

Also lol Bob Sapp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giJxnhvK2js
enjoy.

I believe that is a tad unfair because he is a legimate contender unlike real freak shows such as Bob Sapp, Butterbean, sumo wrestlers in mma, the korean giant Fedor fought, Andre the Giant, etc.
Butterbean is a legit boxer with a 77 - 7 - 4 professional record, he's not really a freak show - but he isn't that good in MMA competitions - it's like watching some of the early UFC fights where most people had only 1 style.

Hong Man Choi (the Korean guy) is also a pretty capable kickboxer with a win over Semmy Schilt and some close fought matches with Jerome Le Banner, it isn't completely unreasonable to assume he'd do at least ok in MMA considering the transitions others have made (Mark Hunt and Cro Cop, for instance) - I think it's unfortunate that they fed him to Fedor so quickly, but the situation was pretty much "Fedor is out of people to beat".

As for Andre; pro wrestling is a bit of a freak show anyway, can't really be seen as in insult in that context imo.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
and Akebono is a world sumo champion and his only value in an mma/ring cage is his freak show appeal.

I suppose it is too easy to classify all super heavyweights as freak shows though.

and Akebono is a world sumo champion and his only value in an mma/ring cage is his freak show appeal.

I suppose it is too easy to classify all super heavyweights as freak shows though.
The difference is that sumo has been proven to have pretty much no use in MMA, unlike kickboxing and boxing.

I find myself agreeing with Vineon once again lol. Lesnar was definantly signed on to pull up ratings but the guy wins fights. I doubt anyone expected him to beat Mir in his opening fight but he looked impressive until his ZERO experience in jiu jitsu showed. Whether you like him or not, he did dominate Herring and Couture couldn't even bring Lesnar to the ground. When Mir vs Lesnar 2 comes up, I predict someone's getting knocked out. I think Lesnar's going to be way too smart to get caught again and I dont think Mir can bring Lesnar down much like Couture couldn't. I'm not a wwe fanboy, in fact I hate it, but I am a little annoyed when everyone discredits Lesnar and calls him a freak, steroid user, wins because he's big (wtf its HW), lays on top of people, etc. I predicted he'd be beast after he lost to Mir and I don't think anyone can say I'm wrong honestly. Lesnar was definantly a ratings booster but imo he's proven that he's much more then that. I predict Lesnar will win either by TKO or KO over Mir despite Mir's good performance. Er either his good performance or Nog. just standing there getting beat up. :(

I think we should all point out the guys that actually DO take roids, that should be discredited....hello Tim Sylvia, Sean Sherk, and buncha others. I can't confirm it, but I'd bet that Coleman's been injecting hormones for years.

Also lol Bob Sapp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giJxnhvK2js
enjoy.
Lesnar lost to Mir in his opener, which then placed him against Herring, who is a "meh" fighter now and Lesnar won but not in the most convincing manner. Those two fights and ONLY fights do not grant him my respect and I'm disappointed Dana has allowed him a title shot simply for the money. Then against Couture I won't give him credit for the win. Couture is old and hadn't trained hard since he was all into the movie ordeal. To me, Couture did it for the money also and didn't really care at this stage in his career. When Lesnar starts beating top caliber people continuously then I'll give him credit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)