Project Wiimon, Mark 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Wiimon has Moved Out!
That's right, we've outgrown our shell here at Smogon universtiy, and have started our own forums! For teh most up-to-date news on our Project, visit us here. =]

Wiimon Summary
Hello All, and welcome to the new Project Wiimon thread. This thread will attempt to progress and reorganize the previous thread, and will be more up-to-date on the newest contributions. Our goal is simple, to take our ideas to Game Freak and, hopefully, make this into a full-scale Pokemon game for the Nintendo Wii.

Wiimon- The Origin
Project Wiimon is the brainchild of fellow Somgonite, Darkartisan. Darkartisan’s vision came in a dream he had about battling a Ratatta in real time. From that moment on, Darkartisan started brainstorming ideas about a real-time Pokemon game. Once he felt that his ideas and hopes for this game were concrete, he presented it here on Smogon. Once here, the idea quickly started to materialize into an actual demo, on the brink of success.

The idea has extended to contain a key group of contributors, each who have given much insight into the making of this game. The list of contributors is growing continuously, with the most updated one below.

Contributors (In No Particular Order):
Darkartisan
Mintyfresh7
Xia
foibles
Solstice
Felix91
PokemonKing
Fuzzberry
Just O
M4GNITUDE
K.k.2
Perfect Chaos
IceBug
rayquazamaster776

Darkartisan is the leader of the organization, and he has the ability to overrule and make decisions over anyone else. In short, his word is final. A list of “Thread Moderators” will soon be implemented. They will be written in italics, and will perform Darkartisan’s duties while he is away. This will keep the thread flowing smoothly and will keep things from stagnating.

So, on the behalf of the entire Wiimon team, I welcome you to Project Wiimon, Mark 2. Let’s keep adding fuel to the fire and never forget our main focus: laying the foundation for Game Freak to creating the first real-time Pokemon game!

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Nomenclature
The ideas this project has spawned has resulted in some new terms that are unknown of in the previous Pokemon games. This post will help define terms used here that are used here in Project Wiimon.

Terms
Aggro- term used to describe the apparent size of individual Pokemon. This value can range from one to ten, and has a big effect on dodging and parrying attacks. A full list of the Pokemon's Aggro levels can be found in the Unique Characteristics post.

Evading- a general term used to describe either Dodging or Parrying an opponent’s attack.

Dodge- a Pokemon’s ability to evade the Special Attack of an opposing Pokemon. Dodging many attacks in succession can lead to stat bonuses that can be used against the opponent. Dodging an attack can increase these stats: Special Attack, Special Defense.

Parry- a Pokemon’s ability to evade the Physical attack of an opposing Pokemon. Parrying many attacks in succession can lead to stat bonuses that can be used against the opponent. Parrying an attack can increase these stats: Attack, Defense.

(Region) League- refers to the eight Gym Leaders and Elite Four that are present in each of the four regions of the Pokemon world (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh). Each region will contain Pokemon from all regions. This means that Brock could have both an Onix and a Rampardos on his team. This allows us, the contributors, more options when creating teams.

Environment Bonuses- every Pokemon has an environment that is their natural habitat. When a Pokemon is battling in their natural habitat, that Pokemon will receive stat bonuses just by battling in that area. These stat bonuses can affect any stat, and cannot be removed for the length of the battle. Habitats are determined by the placement of the Pokemon in the Pokedex from FireRed and LeafGreen.

Check back here often to stay up-to-date with any new terms being used here that would cause confusion.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Unique Characteristics
Seeing as all competitive Pokemon games have been formatted for the handheld consoles, Project Wiimon has the ability to utilize many of the Wii’s unique components. Below is a list of things that will only be present in this game.

Online Play- this game will continue using Wi-Fi to link trainers across the world. Online play will be available to those who defeat the Elite Four and receive the Battle Invitation. There will be many different things for players to do online. You would be open to do nearly everything. Each Trainer will have a rating score, similar to the one found on Shoddy Battle. The higher the score, the better the Trainer. The better the Trainer, the more people who want what you have. Trainers would have the ability to challenge those of similar rating, join a tournament, auction off their Pokemon, bet on a current battle, and exchange clothing and accessories. Competitive battling would reach a new pinnacle here.

Ranking- At the beginning of the game, the player will be presented with a list of questions that they must answer. These answers will then determine the difficulty of the game. Difficulties are divided into four groups: Beginner, Novice, Master, and Legend. The higher the rank, the stronger the opponents and smarter the AI. Players are able to increase the difficulty during the game by sweeping Gym Leaders and dominating opponents. This will keep the game easy for inexperienced players and challenging for more competitive players.

Titles- playing on Wi-Fi can result in you earning a title. Titles are differing, depending on what you do online. Perhaps one of your Pokemon sold for a high price at an Action. You might earn the Title of Breeder. Keep working for Titles, they show your Pokemon knowledge and skill.

Trainer Customization- like in Pokemon Battle Revolution, Trainers are customizable. Unlike Battle Revolution, however, certain clothes are only able to be received after a player has reached a certain checkpoint. Also, clothing can only be traded up. This will keep those who have not met the prerequisites for that article of clothing cannot be given it by another Trainer.

There will be more to come here. Any contributions here are greatly appreciated!

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Mechanics
Battling here will be much different than anything you have ever done before. The jump from turn-based to real-time has resulted in a complete makeover of the battling system. This will help clear up any questions you may have about the new battle system.

Battling- When you are not in a battle, you will be in control of the Trainer. Once a battle is engaged, however, you will gain control of the Pokemon that is thrown out into the battle. Attacks are assigned to certain buttons, and you will move using the Nun chuck. Start will still pause the game, adn bring up your bag and Party Pokemon.

Attacking- the object of a Pokemon battle is to make you opponent’s Pokemon faint. Attacks will utilize the same categories as those in D/P/Pt, as far as the Special vs. Physical aspect goes. These attacks will then be broken down into two more subcategories; short-range and long-range. Short-range attacks can only be used when the opponent is within a close proximity with the attacking Pokemon. These attacks will hit the opponent directly. An example would be Tackle. Long-range attacks are only able to be used when the opponent is far away from the attacking Pokemon. These attacks will focus primarily on beams and missile-related attacks. An example would be Hydro Pump or Fury Attack.

Defending- When the opponent is going to attack you, there are many game mechanics that come into play. As the attack is coming at you, a random button or button combination will flash onscreen. If you hit the button configuration before the attack hits you (your Pokemon), then you will successfully Evade the attack. The amount of time the button will linger onscreen is based a lot off of your and you opponent’s stats.
Stat Bonuses- these are earned in many different ways. Dodging, Parrying, and the Environment can all grant Stat Bonuses. The main difference between Stat bonuses earned through Evading and those granted by the Environment is their permanence. Evading Stat Bonuses are only there as long as the Pokemon plays defensively. As soon as that Pokemon uses an attack, it looses its Stat bonuses. Environment Stat bonuses last the entire length of the battle, or until the Pokemon faints.

Using HM’s- To use a TM, you must send out eh Pokemon that has the HM learned. Once that is done, just choose the HM attack and target the thing that you wan changed. To send out your Pokemon, you must select that Pokemon from the Party Screen, press a button combination, and swing your arm forward. To return the Pokemon, press the same button configuration and swing your arm backwards.
More to come here in the future!

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Formula List
New formulas will be implemented to make this game seem more real than any other Pokemon game yet. The following are simple frames that will be built upon and edited until we deem them solid and secure.
Evasion Formula- Submitted by Xia
A=(((a+s)/(a'+s'))/x)/2

A is the amount of time the random parry button (see OP if this doesn't make sense) stays on screen.

X is your accuracy, in decimal.

a is the Pokemon's aggro. a is the defending Pokemon, a' is the attacking Pokemon.

s is one-tenth of the base Speed of the Pokemon. s is the defending pokemon's speed. s' is the attacking Pokemon's speed.
Knockback Formula- Submittd by Solstice
Special Formula - M=((AggroA*Attack+Power)/(AggroB*Defense+(CURHP+W))*(E))

Physical Formula - M=((AggroA*Attack+Power+W)/(AggroB*Defense+(CURHP+W))*(E))

M is the distance in meters

AggroA is the attackers aggro

Attack is their attack/special attack stat

Power is the moves power

AggroB is the defenders aggro

Defense is the defenders defense stat

CURHP is their current HP

E is the moves effectiveness (4x, 2x. 1x, 0.5x, 0.25x)

W is the weight of one of the Pokemon (formula specific)

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Project Checklist
This post shows the next steps on creating Project Wiimon. Once these steps are completed, they will be removed from the post. If you are new to the thread and would like to contribute, check out what everyone is saying about these topics and respond intelligently.

Checklist
Categorize Attackdex
Brianstorm ways to Defray Cost
Create a Capture Method
Categorize all pokemon based on Aggro

i mentioned this in the last thread, but it may have been overlooked; perhaps we should see about getting this a subforum in site projects.

How do you plan on getting $2000?
It's obvious. He's going to steal it.

Now, this sounds a lot like a Pokemon text RPG, but without the text. I like it, specially because I used to have one. Now, just one thing:

Xia said:
Attacking- the object of a Pokemon battle is to make you opponent’s Pokemon faint. Attacks will utilize the same categories as those in D/P/Pt, as far as the Special vs. Physical aspect goes. These attacks will then be broken down into two more subcategories; short-range and long-range. Short-range attacks can only be used when the opponent is within a close proximity with the attacking Pokemon. These attacks will hit the opponent directly. An example would be Tackle. Long-range attacks are only able to be used when the opponent is far away from the attacking Pokemon. These attacks will focus primarily on beams and missile-related attacks. An example would be Hydro Pump or Fury Attack.
I don't agree with this. A fist full of Draco Meteor right into the face of a rushing Infernape would be awesome. But it'd make beam-like attacks too broken.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I like your idea of a subforum, skitty. My question is, are we buddies enough with the mods to get our own subforum?

Well we're not exactly sure about the two grand... I may be able to get it through school. We could use it in my computer classes? If that's a nix, we're going to have to find someone who's willing to sponsor this.

Yeah, Perfect Chaos, I agree with you, but how else are we going to keep those attacks from being broken? I just wrote up the basic framework for the thread.

All i know is that there is no way that I will be able to weasel anything, let alone 2 grand, from PPS. We have to somehow raise the money. I dunno how that will work though.

I have an idea, on big forums they can accept donations to keep it running, so why can't we make a forum about the project, get some support, and see if we can raise the $2000?

I have an idea, on big forums they can accept donations to keep it running, so why can't we make a forum about the project, get some support, and see if we can raise the $2000?
creating a whole new community for the project is not the way to start. you seem to think that people will be inexplicably drawn to an obscure community that is asking for money. It will not happen that way. we need to keep thin project in an already established community if we want it to succeed.

Yeah, Perfect Chaos, I agree with you, but how else are we going to keep those attacks from being broken? I just wrote up the basic framework for the thread.
For the beam attacks, they could be weaker when closer to the opponent. Obviously this would have a cap.

does anyone want me to help classify the attackdex?

I think that just aiming the beam attacks would be pretty good, ind of like snakes final smash in brawl, only possibly a little bit easier.

Great job, sorry I have been so busy lately that I haven't been able to update. Wrestling takes my life away :x

So anyways, please spell my name correctly. "Darkartisan" not darkartsian

As to the formula bit, I have been working on something to get the Dodge and/or Parry rate dependant on the aggro, the lvl, and HP remaining.

I came up with this:

Aggro = aggroclass * (lvl/100)

Dodge/parry= Aggro/ ((CatRate*CapRate)* (MaxHP/CurHP))

where aggroclass is the one to ten system you have thought about, CurHP is the current HP of the pokemon, MaxHP is the maximum HP of the pokemon, CatRate is the catchrate of the pokemon (I remember seeing a guide on smogon where they're all listed for each pokemon), CapRate the capture rate of the ball (refer to aforementioned guide).

This way, the succesfulness of higher leveled pokemon to evade capture is increased, but if you use a better ball/weaken the pokemon beforehand, you capture at an increased rate.

wait, are you saying that the ball will connect less often with the pokemon you are trying to catch, or that you are revamping the entire capture formula. because there is already a well documented one here: http://serebii.net/games/capture.shtml

also, I think we should implement all of the pokeballs that could only be found in the johto region.

So I recall from the last thread, I'm to start working on the common trainers on the routes?

I have another idea...If I could get some assistance, I could start working on the locations and levels of wild Pokemon.

If that's okay with Art.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)