Need a Metagame Update -- help appreciated!

About a month ago, this team got me up to 1550 on the OU ladder, but I haven't really played much and would appreciate some creative input to update it. The team philosophy is bulky sweeping with a little BP support. I rely fairly heavily on paralysis support and agility and defense passes.

_____

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Natural Cure // Calm
EVs: HP 252 // 120 Def // 112 Spe // 24 SpD
IVs: 27 Atk
- Trick
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell

This is your standard Trick Scarf lead. If the opponent is a suicide SR lead, they get stuck using SR, and I can SR as they switch or Thunder Wave to slow them down. Heal Bell is for later in the match if stall is wearing me down, or if a couple things are paralyzed. With Scarf, this hits 396, enough to be max speed beneficial nature 130s, namely, Aerodactyl, leads.
_____

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Serene Grace // Calm
EVs: 232 HP // 68 Def // 8 Spe // 200 SpD
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Thunder Wave

This guy is a monster! Everyone hates the flinch set, including me, but Togekiss can do so much with it. Thunder Wave on faster things, then you can Roost off Thunderbolts and Ice Beams. It can beat Zapdos 1v1, provided Zapdos doesn't paralyze it in return. With the small defensive investment, it can take one +1 Outrage from non LO Salamence, and end its sweep with Thunder Wave. Overall, it does a great job as my secondary special wall and can hit really hard after one NP.
_____

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal // Jolly
EVs: 4 HP // 252 Atk // 252 Spe
- Spore
- Facade
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

Standard SubSeed Loom with a twist. I've used a couple different Breloom sets, but this one is my favorite. Facade hits with base 140 power off of 359 attack, and does more in two turns than STAB Focus Punch can manage, and doesn't sacrifice Breloom's much needed sub. With paralysis support, he can subseed something to death, subbing repeatedly for parahax, and then seeding next. He can annoy a couple guys to death, and come out with full health.
_____

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Thick Fat // Careful
EVs: 80 HP // 208 Def // 220 SpD
- Curse
- Rest
- Body Slam
- Fire Punch

Bulky Curselax. It can Curse, take a Close Combat from most anything regardless of item, and OHKO back with Body Slam. It can also wall Scarftran well, and has Fire Punch to hit Ghosts and Steels. Thick Fat takes the edge off of Fire and Ice attacks.
_____

Scizor @ Leftovers
Swarm // Bold
EVs: 224 HP // 112 Def // 172 Spe
- Agility
- Iron Defense
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
This guy is great in today's metagame. His speed EVs give 209 which allows him to outspeed Scarf Heatran after one Agility, and he makes an extremely capable physical wall with Iron Defense. DD Gyarados loves to switch into Scizor, and this one can counter his dances, sub, and pass it off to something that can wreak havoc on Gyarados.
_____

Rotom-w @ Leftovers
Calm // Levitate
EVs: 252 HP // 4 Spe // 52 SpA // 220 SpD
- Discharge
- Shadow Ball
- HP Ice
- Rest

This guy is my coverage attacker, and is EVd to receive an Agility and Iron Defense, and proceed to take a lot of hits. Discharge is for paralysis support, and to beat Gyarados. Shadow Ball is for STAB. HP Ice is for Salamence and Flygon.
_____

In closing, Rotom really doesn't do too much for me, and this team is extremely Fire and Tyranitar weak. I've tried Gallade and Spiritomb in its place. Spiritomb's HP is a little low for my taste, but it does well with Shadow Ball, HP Fighting, Calm Mind, and Rest. I thought CM Cune might work in its place, but I haven't tried it out yet. Let me know what you think could be helpful!

Well constructed team you have here. I noticed that a Taunt Gyarados has the potential to wreck this team. So does the not as common Electivire, who is immune to the main strategy which this team is focused around, which is Paralyzing the opponent so that your less speedy team members can perform at their full potential. Curse(or Sleep Talk) Swampert can run right through this team too since it resists Thunder Wave, and Gliscor is a bit similar and can give your team absolute hell if it is a physical sweeper or dancing tank. The three Pokemon who would normally be able to shut those threats down are not able to because of the lack of usual attacks ran by them such as Grass Knot, Seed Bomb, and WoW, respectively. Your only saving grace to those threats are Rotom, who won't be able to really hurt Swampert too much since Swampert is immune to Discharge and HP Ice coming from a neutral natured, minimal EV'd Rotom isn't going to hurt Swampert all that much. However, Gliscor will get KO'd by HP Ice but as I said earlier, if it is offensive then a +2 Stone Edge will OHKO Rotom on the spot since a minimum Speed Rotom will be outsped and have no way to defend itself. I honestly do not understand Scizor's role, and his complete role seems like a waste. First off, the normal recipients that are going to be passed +2 Speed and +2 Defense aren't going to benefit from it a whole lot, especially Snorlax, who already has Curse which does raises Defense already (and Attack), and Rotom doesn't really benefit that much from it because it isn't EV'd to be a sweeper or anything with the small amount of Special Attack EV's (maybe if you max'd Sp. Atk and dropped Discharge for Charge Beam to increase sweeping potential). Scizor can be used as a more offensive attacker and this will increase his general usefulness within the team.

Now that I've pointed out the issues, I will see to it that I help you patch them up. First off, I want you to drop Discharge for Will-O-Wisp on Rotom. I'm going to give a later suggestion so that you still have coverage over the things that Discharge usually provides coverage against, which are for Gyarados and bulky Waters mainly. Will-O-Wisp is needed since it will shut down the earlier mentioned physical threats like Swampert, any variant, and also any verson of Gliscor (except the rare case of coming up against a Gliscor that runs Taunt). Running WoW will also take care of any Gyarados that doesn't have Taunt, which is actually pretty common since most are offensive and another threat I didn't mention earlier was Scarf Flygon who will screw you up in most cases with STAB Outrages. Now for Scizor, I want you to go ahead and turn him into a CB variant. I know you might argue at me with this 'bla bla bla, this is a bad suggestion because I already have a Choiced pokemon' argument, but I believe that you will benefit from this. This gives your team a reliable revenge killer and will take care of weakened threats that may not be able to get KO'd by your slow team due to the high dependency of inflicting your opponent with Paralysis. Another threat that won't be affected too much from Paralysis and can quickly KO Celebi and Togekiss (since you lack the oh so common Aura Sphere) is CB Tyranitar, and CB Tar also manhandles Snorlax who is your other Paralysis inflictor I'm guessing. Again, CB Scizor takes care of CB Tar, and also DD Tyranitar who you otherwise have no real check to. Now for Celebi, I think you'd be better off dropping Heal Bell for Grass Knot. Most of your team isn't affected by status that much since two Pokemon have Rest, one Pokemon has a Toxic Orb, another Pokemon has Natural Cure, and that leaves only two Pokemon, Togekiss and Scizor, who may be affected by status. Scizor is already going to be slow anyways, and Togekiss is the only one left, so you'll manage. So with Grass Knot, you have a better check to Gyarados and you won't be completely helpless to a Tyranitar when it comes out since you'll inevitably have to face a Crunch or Pursuit. I also want to point out that with Togekiss you won't be able to take on a Zapdos 1 on 1 on if it's running Substitute. Otherwise, good team.

So that's the end of the rate. Hope this advice helps and good luck with your team. I'll check back here just in case you're wondering about some of the things I said or if I missed anything. ^_^

Thanks for the rate! I'd like to address some of the things you mentioned really quick and add some more background on the team.

I mainly just rely on paralysis to slow one or two guys down that would be able to sweep, and to get that lucky break that blows a 1v1 scenario for the other guy. Paralysis isn't really that gamebreaking for me, but it helps Togekiss sweep a lot easier.

Taunt Gyara could wreck my team, as I generally leave Scizor out when Gyarados switch in. Giving it another free DD when I would inevitably have to go to Rotom.

Curse Swampert and Sleep Talk Swampert haven't given me too much trouble, as Breloom can Spore + SubSeed both sets very effectively.

That Gliscor could be a bit of a pain, but, without Taunt, I'm not going to have too much trouble slowing him down and countering his boosts with Scizor and passing to Rotom or Togekiss to dodge the EQ that he would inevitably be throwing at Scizor, and then either HP Icing or Air Slashing it down.

Tyranitar has been a big problem, and that was a main reason I posted this. WoW on Rotom really wouldn't stop it that well, and I need something better for that. I've also really not been that fond of Rotom in general, so a replacement wouldn't make me too upset.

I had an old baton pass team that passed Agility and Iron Defense via Scizor and Calm Mind via Celebi. This Scizor was tinkered with a bit from then, and his role on my team is, simply put, surprise transition. There are a few Pokemon that are seriously afraid of Scizor (Ttar), and most everyone carries a Scizor counter (Gyarados, Zappy). I'll play out the most common scenarios for you really quickly.

I sent out Celebi.
They sent out CB Tar.
Celebi used Trick.
Tyranitar used Crunch.
Celebi takes about 60% including sandstorm.

Switch to Scizor, take about 10% from Crunch.
+6% Leftovers.

They switch in Gyarados.
Scizor uses Agility.

Ok let's play that out. I generally Iron Defense when I see Gyarados.
I couldn't find the server statistics on Taunt quickly enough to suit my ADD, so: Gyarados is going to do one of three things: Taunt, DD, Waterfall.
Taunt: I would be forced to switch to Rotom.
DD: He has +1 Atk, +1 Spe. I have +2 Def +2 Spe, I'm fine to continue setting up.
Waterfall: He does ~18%, and I sub to force him to attack.

If Gyarados lets me set up, he usually ends up outspeeding me, but I pass to Breloom with a Sub and the Sub stays because Loom resists Waterfall. Not only does Loom now outspeed him, he can also Spore Gyarados and proceed to annoy it to death.

Or if They switch it Zapdos.
Scizor uses Agility.

At this point, I outspeed all Zapdos except the rare Scarf holders.
I generally sub to scout their set.

Scizor uses Substitute.
Zapdos uses: Thunderbolt - Pass to Breloom
Heat Wave - Pass to Snorlax, Body Slam
Thunder Wave - Iron Defense, Sub again, See what he uses.
Substitute - Pass to Snorlax, Body Slam

I'm open for more suggestions for Rotom. If you're still not sure about Scizor, hit me up, and I'll battle some on Shoddy with it, and you can see it go to work.

Otherwise, thanks for the rate, and if anyone else has any other ideas for the team, please post!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)