Cannot login to Smogon server

Hey, I've encountered a problem with Shoddy Battle. When I attempt to log in to the Smogon server (yes, I have already registered) nothing happens. I can click the button as many times as I want but it won't log in. Help?

I have also been having this same problem for a while :( Could anyone help?

I've tried uninstalling shoddybattle, reinstalling the latest update of java, and nothing has worked. I can login to other servers, like C-A-P server, but not smogon...

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've found the bug but never found a fix for it. If relaunching Shoddy Battle doesn't work, try again later.

It seems like a lot of people, including myself, are having this issue, there are probably 15 different threads asking for a fix. So far the most anyone has suggested is to reinstall the program or java, repeatedly.

Since this issue has been so prevalent, is there anyway ANYONE with a deep knowledge of the program can take a look at it? I understand that it isn't possible to look into every random problem a particular user has, but seeing as this is repeatedly coming up as an unresolved issue, I think it warrants a bit of work.

I'd be glad to help in anyway, honestly I have very little knowledge of the program, but I'd be willing to go through the posts mentioning this issue and find commonalities, or anything helpful.

So far...

1) Users can load shoddybattle, and progress to the Smogon server login page, but are unable to, after entering the username and password, login. It is as if the login button is not functioning. At times, the button will remain highlighted for a period of time (usually 4 seconds or so) after which time it will return to normal and remain inactive.

2) Reinstalling the program/ updating java have no effect on resolving the issue.

3) Server traffic is not a factor in the issue.

4) Manually entering the host and port information does not resolve the issue.

5) Users are able to login to all other servers.

6) "Waiting" or "coming back later" (although often suggested) rarely, if ever, solves the problem.

Also, this is entirely different, it seems, from the issue that causes users to receive this message:

"An error occurred while attempting to connect to the server:
Connection timed out: connect"

Though many times the issues are lumped into the same post.

Please please help us!
This is such a great program, probably why we are all so frustrated with this issue!

usually the problem is that people assume that if they are registered on the forum, they are registered on the server. that is not true. did all of you register on the server as well?

Thanks for the quick reply ferron, but I don't think thats the issue (at least for me). Even after registering a new username/password on shoddy, the same problem persists.

bearzly

Shoddy Battle dev
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If the connection is timing out, then there is a network problem somewhere. In general, if you want to try and solve any bugs then you should turn on the Java console. On OS X this is found in the advanced tab of Java Preferences. Any errors should be shown here, and then you can post back and we will potentially fix them.

OK I ran the program with the Java console enabled. This is the readout:

(Shoddybattle app opened)

Unimplemented intrinsic ability: Stall
Unimplemented move: Natural Gift
Unimplemented move: Recycle
There are 2 unimplemented moves.
The move library is 100% implemented.
(Smogon server is selected/opens to login screen)

Connecting to shoddybattle.smogon.com
Version: 3
(Username and password are entered, no reaction, problem occurs w. the highlighted button)

java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:168)
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:182)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream$PeekInputStream.peek(ObjectInputStream.java:2126)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream$BlockDataInputStream.peek(ObjectInputStream.java:2416)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream$BlockDataInputStream.peekByte(ObjectInputStream.java:2426)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1245)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(ObjectInputStream.java:322)
at netbattle.MessageHandler.getNextMessage(MessageHandler.java:114)
at shoddybattleclient.JoinServer.cmdLogInActionPerformed(JoinServer.java:400)
at shoddybattleclient.JoinServer.txtPasswordKeyTyped(JoinServer.java:329)
at shoddybattleclient.JoinServer.access$300(JoinServer.java:24)
at shoddybattleclient.JoinServer$5.keyTyped(JoinServer.java:171)
at java.awt.Component.processKeyEvent(Component.java:5121)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processKeyEvent(JComponent.java:2420)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:4975)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:1613)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3681)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1671)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3543)
at java.awt.KeyboardFocusManager.redispatchEvent(KeyboardFocusManager.java:1713)
at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchKeyEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:627)
at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.preDispatchKeyEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:831)
at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.typeAheadAssertions(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:741)
at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:592)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3572)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:1623)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:480)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:234)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:178)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:170)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:100)
All subsequent attempts to login (clicking the login button) produce this message:

java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:113)
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:182)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream$PeekInputStream.peek(ObjectInputStream.java:2126)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream$BlockDataInputStream.peek(ObjectInputStream.java:2416)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream$BlockDataInputStream.peekByte(ObjectInputStream.java:2426)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1245)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(ObjectInputStream.java:322)
at netbattle.MessageHandler.getNextMessage(MessageHandler.java:114)
at shoddybattleclient.JoinServer.cmdLogInActionPerformed(JoinServer.java:400)
at shoddybattleclient.JoinServer.access$200(JoinServer.java:24)
at shoddybattleclient.JoinServer$4.actionPerformed(JoinServer.java:165)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1819)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1872)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:420)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:258)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:247)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5166)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:4963)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:1613)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3681)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:3527)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3242)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3172)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1657)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:1623)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:480)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:234)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
Just for the record, when logging in to another server successfully (in this case the Game FAQs server) gives this message:

Connecting to 75.127.124.36
Version: 3
After selecting the server, and this after the actual login:

apple.awt.EventQueueExceptionHandler Caught Throwable : java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.String.contains(Ljava/lang/CharSequence;)Z
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.String.contains(Ljava/lang/CharSequence;)Z
at shoddybattleclient.HumanClient.handleFieldTextMessage(HumanClient.java:181)
at shoddybattleclient.ServerLink.handleMessage(ServerLink.java:358)
at shoddybattleclient.HumanClient$2.run(HumanClient.java:112)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:189)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:478)
Hope that helps, it's greek to me. Also, how would I tell if the connection is timing out? If it gives a message when this occurs, I've never received it. I'm on a wireless internet connection that is always at max connection, if it helps.

Actually this happened 2 days ago -- approximately 48 hours around the same timeframe. I was able to use Shoddy yesterday night (that's around 12 hours ago), though.

Maybe there's something wrong with the server everyday of this hour? o_o The window is also registering that 0 users are logged in on every server.

Zekira that sounds like a separate problem, since this lasts for months/permanently. I've tried to login at all hours of the day, no difference.

I think the 0 user problem you mentioned is answered in the 'ask a simple question' thread. As I recall, it doesn't have any actual meaning concerning the actual amount of users online, same as when other people used to get 450/200 users online (for example) on the official server. I'm not sure, though.

bearzly

Shoddy Battle dev
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The first error is just a network error, so it's pretty hard to determine what the cause could be. The second one is because you have an older version of Java. Some code was added that was added in Java 1.5, and since we claim support for Java 1.4 I removed that code. Hopefully the client will get updated soon

Some code was added that was added in Java 1.5, and since we claim support for Java 1.4 I removed that code. Hopefully the client will get updated soon
This piece I didn't follow. My Java Preferences window shows the following.

Should I simply download a new version of Java? I'm on a mac, and checked my software updates, and nothing new is available. Whenever I need to update Java, it always appears there.

Just to be clear, which version of Java SHOULD I be running?

Sorry for the probably obvious questions, and thanks again for your help bearzly.

JohnR011

Ew David
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm having the same problem, and nothing seems to work. It's been happening for about three weeks now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)