Blissey [4P]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malfunction

nice desu ne
Done, pretty much.

This is but my first attempt at conciseness, so please bear with me.

Changes:
~ Basic trimming of the first set (WishBliss).
~ Fixing the Counters section into a lesser number of paragraphs.

[SET]

<p>The #1 special wall in the game has had to reinvent itself slightly to keep up with DPP's new special threats. The general idea is to switch in, use Wish and then Protect to mimic the effects of Softboiled. The advantages are that Protect allows you to waste more turns for PP stalling and Toxic damage, and Wish can be passed to other members of your team. Additionally, Wish can be used preemptively (with more than half of your HP intact, even at full health), allowing Blissey to attack on the next turn without having to worry about losing a large chunk of health.</p>

<p>The Wish / Protect combo is even more appealing due to the popularity of Choice users. Simply use Protect to scout the opponent’s attack, and then switch to an appropriate counter. This can even save Blissey’s life if your opponent tries to Pursuit it to death. Another option would be to use Softboiled over Protect as the instant recovery offered by Softboiled can sometimes be priceless, especially against set-up sweepers.</p>

<p>For the attack, you definitely want Blissey to have the ability to hit Gengar, so your choices are narrowed down to Flamethrower or Ice Beam. Flamethrower is the primary choice since it hits most Pokémon that is immune to Toxic for super effective damage. It also helps cover Heracross and Scizor, both of which like switching in to Toxic. Even though Heatran is immune to both Flamethrower and Toxic, it usually holds Choice Scarf, and can easily be PP stalled or used to pass Wish to a teammate. Ice Beam helps Blissey deal with Mixed Salamence and keeps Dugtrio away. For the fourth slot, Toxic gives Blissey the ability to stop special attackers that can heal themselves, and works well with Protect. It also hits levitating Pokemon that are not affected by Toxic Spikes. If, however, your team demands extra coverage from Blissey, you can drop Blissey's Toxic for Seismic Toss.</p>

<p>Even though she is a force to deal with on the special side of the attacking spectrum, Blissey is fairly weak against physical attacks. Most physical attackers, like Tyranitar and Machamp, can come in with impunity on anything but a status attack and pose an immediate threat. Depending on your attacking move, Blissey worries about different Pokemon. Without Flamethrower, Lucario, Scizor, and Metagross all get free switches, and lacking Ice Beam invites Salamence to the party. Blissey also suffers from being set-up fodder against a lot of Pokemon, like Gyarados. Pairing it with a Rotom-A is a good option as Rotom-A is immune to the STAB Fighting attacks aimed at Blissey, and can deal with most physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp. Gyarados, with its Intimidate ability, can also help Blissey deal with most of these threats.</p>

<p>Blissey can be paired with defensive Pokemon as well. The ever-popular defensive combination of Skarmory and Blissey is a perfect example of Blissey’s ability to be paired with other defensive Pokemon. Skarmory takes the powerful physical attacks aimed at Blissey with ease, while Blissey takes the special attacks aimed at its partner. Gliscor and defensive Gyarados can provide similar synergy, as Blissey takes the Ice- and Electric-type attacks aimed at them, respectively, with no trouble.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Most of what counters Blissey tends to be a physical attacker, as already mentioned above. Machamp can switch into any Blissey with impunity, as Guts variants welcome an attack boost by way of Thunder Wave and Machamp with Rest / Sleep Talk do not care either way. Heracross is in a similar boat as Machamp, except it doesn't like paralysis nearly as much. Scizor and Lucario can take advantage of Blissey without Flamethrower and use her as set-up bait, but in addition to Flamethrower, Lucario also minds Thunder Wave a lot more than Scizor. Even if Lucario is a special attacker, it has a shot at 2HKOing those Blissey that don't invest in Special Defense.</p>

<p>Snorlax also doesn't care about being paralyzed, nor does Metagross really, and both can hit Blissey hard with either STAB attacks or Pursuit. Some variants of Tyranitar do care about status, but otherwise can switch into Blissey very easily and scare the hell out of her with the notion of "will I Crunch or will I Pursuit?" or, alternately, it can Taunt if it's a Dragon Dance variant. Rhyperior is immune to Thunder Wave, and with a possible Sandstorm Special Defense boost paired with its high HP and Solid Rock, it doesn't take much damage from Ice Beam, either. Dugtrio's going to have a harder time switching into Blissey in DP thanks to the strong slant towards Ice Beam, and if it is using Life Orb and not Choice Band, it will only do 40-47% to Blissey with Earthquake. Life Orb Salamence 2HKOes Blissey with Brick Break or Outrage.</p>

<p>Togekiss can Nasty Plot up and doesn't take enough damage from anything Blissey does. The only hope Blissey has is to use Toxic and try to just stall it until it dies or use Thunder Wave and bring in a powerful physical attacker like Tyranitar. Celebi can use Leech Seed to let just about anything you can't OHKO stall you indefinitely thanks to the massive HP drain. Dusknoir and Spiritomb don't really care about Thunder Wave or any of Blissey's attacks, and both can use Pain Split to heal off any damage while severely hurting Blissey. If Blissey uses Toxic, they still aren't lost, as many Dusknoir and Spiritomb have Rest. Mismagius doesn't want to be statused, but it can use Substitute and Calm Mind to nullify the threat of status and your special attacks. Similarly, Rotom-A can protect itself from status with Substitute, and Charge Beam up to +6 Special Attack to 2HKO Blissey with Thunderbolt or Hidden Power Fighting. In fact, most Pokémon without a 4x weakness and average Special Defense can beat Blissey just by using Rest and stalling out the PP of her moves. In a similar manner, Skarmory can come in on any Blissey without Thunderbolt or Flamethrower, set up Spikes, Roost off the damage, and then use Whirlwind to shuffle around your team.</p>

<p>The multitude of Pokémon that can learn Trick, including prominent special attackers such as Gengar, the Rotom formes, and Togekiss, among others, can use Blissey as a target. Being a slow wall, Blissey really does not like being Tricked on items like Choice Scarf, Choice Specs, Choice Band, or even Black Sludge. Pokemon that can create Substitutes that cannot be breakable with a single Seismic Toss can use Blissey as set-up bait. A perfect example of such a Pokemon would be Jirachi, as it can use Substitute, Calm Mind up, then threaten your whole team with a sweep.</p>
_______

Think any important information was left out? Any thing not necessary? Please don't hesitate to post it here.

I didn't catch any error and IMO this must be one of the best concises in this forum. I don't think you left anything important out.
Great job. ;)

Good job first of all :)

Nitpicks/suggestions: In the discussion on protect, you might want to mention it's special utility against explosion, especially against gengar and heatran.

In the counters section you could possibly mention that any pokemon with taunt/choiced trick/unbreakable subs can cause blissey problems. I know you're aiming for conciseness, but blissey is one of the main reasons for the terms 101hp subs, and trickscarfing.

When you're talking about defensive combinations, you say that skarmbliss is "tantamount" to blissey's combo potential. I've never heard the word used like that; did you mean "testament"?

In another section, you talk about blissey being a good choice for teams with a "thorn" for special attacks. This sounds awkward to me, perhaps "weakness to" or "vunlerable to" would work better.

In the third to last paragraph, "gyarados, who's intimidate" should be "gyarados, whose intimidate".

Sorry if this post got oddly formatted as I'm on an iPod and don't know how to fix it. Hope this helped!

Malfunction

nice desu ne
Good job first of all :)
In the counters section you could possibly mention that any pokemon with taunt/choiced trick/unbreakable subs can cause blissey problems. I know you're aiming for conciseness, but blissey is one of the main reasons for the terms 101hp subs, and trickscarfing.
Most of these have been already mentioned in the Counters section, but I'll see what I can add to them.

When you're talking about defensive combinations, you say that skarmbliss is "tantamount" to blissey's combo potential. I've never heard the word used like that; did you mean "testament"?

In another section, you talk about blissey being a good choice for teams with a "thorn" for special attacks. This sounds awkward to me, perhaps "weakness to" or "vunlerable to" would work better.
These words are all from another write-up, so I didn't really know if they need to be edited. Now that you mention them, though, I'll consider rewording them.

Your nitpicks will be edited in the OP. Thanks for your help.

Roflmao23, thank you for your kind words!

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hm, yeah. I think more can be cut in the first set.

First off, completely strike the third paragraph and add a sentence about using Softboiled in paragraph 2. It seems to be the better route here since 1) I've rarely seen Wish + Softboiled and 2) Wish + Protect covers most of Blissey's healing anyway. The only slight merit it has is auto-healing on turn 1.

Also on the second paragraph LonelyNess gave me a better way to write it:

<p>The Wish / Protect combo is even more appealing due to the popularity of Choice users. Simply use Protect to scout the opponent’s attack, and then switch to an appropriate counter. This can even save Blissey’s life if your opponent tries to Pursuit it to death.</p>

Simply add the Softboiled tidbit after "...it to death." Then in this paragraph:

<p>Toxic is a great move on this set regardless of whether you choose Protect or Softboiled. As you are sitting around healing yourself, Toxic will slowly take its toll against your opponent's Pokemon. Toxic also can be used against levitating Pokemon, such as Togekiss and Gyarados, that aren't affected by any Toxic Spikes you may have set up.</p>

Could be cut down to this:

Then with this paragraph LonelyNess came up with this suggestion:

<p>Toxic gives Blissey the ability to stop special attackers that can heal themselves, and works well with Protect. It also hits levitating pokemon that Toxic Spikes doesn't...

Then I glanced and saw Thunderbolt is unnecessary, also shifted some of the sentences around:

"<p>You definitely want Blissey to have the ability to hit Gengar, so your choices are narrowed down to Flamethrower or Ice Beam. Flamethrower is the primary choice since it hits most Pokémon that is immune to Toxic for super effective damage. Italso helps cover Heracross and Scizor who are ccommon switch-inw to Toxic. Even though Heatran is immune to both Flamethrower and Toxic, it usually holds Choice Scarf, and can easily be PP stalled or used to pass Wish to a teammate. Ice Beam helps Blissey deal with Mixed Salamence and keeps Dugtrio away. If, however, your team demands extra damage from Blissey, you can drop Blissey's Toxic for Seismic Toss.</p>"

Yeah I can see this being trimmed down a lot more if possible.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There's a lot of fluff in the Team Options portion too. A lot of what you're saying can be trimmed down considerably.

<p>Though Blissey is a force to deal with on the special side of the attacking spectrum, she is noticeably weak against the physical side. Tyranitar can come in and immediately threaten with powerful STABs in Crunch and Stone Edge; it only has to worry about being Poisoned from Toxic. Machamp can come in on any of Blissey’s attacks, thanks to its natural bulk and Guts ability, and pose a threat from STAB Fighting moves and a high base Attack stat. If Blissey uses Ice Beam, Lucario, Scizor, and Metagross can come in and threaten Blissey with their powerful STAB moves, while not fearing Toxic. If she uses Flamethrower, most Salamence sets can threaten her. Additionally, due to Blissey’s nature as an exclusive special wall, she is prone to being set-up fodder against a lot of Pokemon, such as Gyarados. Pairing Blissey with Rotom-h is a good option as Rotom-h is immune or resistant to the aforementioned physical attackers' STAB moves. Rotom-h can render them useless with Will-O-Wisp, or perhaps finish them of with Overheat.</p>
Can be summed up a lot, for example

<p> Unfortunately, Blissey is fairly weak against physical attacks. Most physical attackers, like Tyranitar and Machamp, can come in with impunity on anything but a status attack and pose an immediate threat. Depending on your attacking move, Blissey worries about different Pokemon. Without Flamethrower, Lucario, Scizor, and Metagross all get free switches, and lacking Ice Beam invites Salamence to the party. Blissey also suffers from being set-up fodder against a lot of Pokemon, like Gyarados. Pairing it with a Rotom-A is a good option as Rotom-A is immune to the STAB Fighting attacks aimed at Blissey, and can deal with most Physical attackers.<p>
It doesn't seem like much, but I trimmed it down by almost half (173 words to 104), and there is literally no missing information from the former to the latter.

All in all, I'm pretty much parroting Colonol_M, it could be way more concise, if you need help I'm pretty good at summarizing, and would be more than happy to pitch in.

Malfunction

nice desu ne
Sorry I just noticed there was new replies here. Could have responded earlier.

Most of what I did here was basic trimming. I didn't really reword anything other than things that needed to be reworded after trimming. But seeing how you guys think most of this information is rather unnecessarily elaborate, I'll go through the whole thing again, summarize anything that needs to be, and make sure everything is as concise as possible.

Thanks.

Malfunction

nice desu ne
I apologize this is still not done, but school and exams took all my time. I'll be having some free time for the next month or so, so I'll make sure this is done by tomorrow at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)