Prinny dood! OU

Hello Smogon!
I have created a new team. It is a pretty unusual team, with some lesser used pokemon in OU. Oh and it is Empoleon based. This team doesn’t really mind any of the higher used pokemon, such as Szicor. I don’t have much else to say, so without further ado…

TEAM PRINNY, DOOD! (Prinny reference, dood.)

CLOSE-UP
<-- prinny dood!

IN DEPTH

1 pokemon weak to Stealth rock, 2 resist it.
0 pokemon hit by Toxic spikes, 6 immune. >,>
3 pokemon hit by Spikes, 3 immune.

Azelf@ Light clay
Levitate
Jolly
Ev’s: 252 hp, 4 Def, 252 Spe
Moves:
- Light screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
-Taunt

Summary: I have noticed Azelf’s rise in usage as a lead, so I decided to try a lead, but with a different set. The strategy here is to Taunt, set up dual screens, than U-turn into a counter. U-turn will also break focus sash. Azelf is the newest member of this team, having replaced about four others (leads are so hard to decide on!).

Synergy:
Dark goes to: Empoleon.
Bug goes to: Zapdos, Empoleon, Gliscor, Tentacruel
Ghost goes to: Emopleon

Why this pokemon?: I needed a lead that was resistant or immune to ground type attacks, and not weak to ice, Azelf was perfect. It could set up dual screens and taunt.

How it helps Empoleon: Every pokemon, including Empoleon, likes dual screens on their side. Also prevents those pesky spikes that get lodged in the flippers.

Gliscor@ Yache berry
Hyper cutter
Impish
Ev’s: 252 Hp, 40 Def, 216 Spe
Moves:
- Earthquake
- Swords dance
- Roost
- Stone edge

Summary: This thing is an excellent wall breaker. After a couple Sd’s it can go on a 6-0 sweep (have done this a couple of times). Eq and Se have pretty good coverage, and Roost adds to it bulkiness. Yache berry is to shrug off on ice move and hopefully KO the attacker or switch. Thank good Wevial and Mamoswine usage has gone down… Likes to switch into a Heatran locked into Earthpower, and than get an Sd on the switch.

Synergy:
Ice goes to: Empoleon, Brongzong, Tentacruel
Water goes to: Empoleon, Tentacruel

Why this pokemon?: I wanted a pokemon that was resistant or immune to ground, electric, and fighting. Gliscor was perfect and could break tricky walls and stop Baton pass teams.

How it helps Empoleon: KO’s any electric pokemon in OU, and beats that silly and fat pink blob Blissey.

Empoleon@ Petaya berry
Torrent
Modest
Ev’s: 12 Hp, 12 Def, 232 speed, 252 Spatk
Moves:
- Agility
- Substitute
- Surf
- Ice beam

Summary: After Sr damage and two subs and a bit of fodder damage petaya berry is activated with torrent, if I’m lucky I can get an Agility in or two. Just so you can see the power of a Surf at these circumstances is awe-striking. With Ice beam it has great coverage and hits most of OU pretty hard.

Synergy:
Fighting goes to: Azelf, Zapdos, Gliscor, Tentacruel
Ground goes to: Azelf, Zapdos, Gliscor, Brongzong
Electric goes to: Gliscor

Why this pokemon?: I like Empoleon! It has great typing and can perform a pretty nasty sweep. First member of the team.

How it helps Empoleon: It is Empoleon, which is a dood.

Zapdos@ Leftovers
Pressure
Bold
Ev’s: 248 Hp, 228 Def, 32 Spe
Moves:
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Hp grass
- Heat wave

Summary: Bulky bird is bulky. Okay, Tbolt is a great stab move, which covers Dd Gyara (who has given me trouble). Roost makes this beast live longer and KO more. Hp grass counters its counter, Swampert. Heat wave is for coverage and to KO Scizor. It takes hits and deals stronger ones, I love that idea.

Synergy:
Ice goes to: Brongzong, Empoleon, Tentacruel
Rock goes to: Brongzong, Empoleon

Why this pokemon?: I wanted another resistance to fighting and ground and electric, which I got the first two and neutral on the last. Zapdos also is a great physical wall and hits Scizor really, really hard, and Gyara too.

How it helps Empoleon: KO’s Gyara which would normally set up on Empoleon. Also takes some hits for him.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf (Thank you Mister Miltia)
Serene Grace

Hasty
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SAtk
- Fire Punch
- Iron Head
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Punch

Summary: Okay, this guy is fast and strong in both physical and special attaking. He beats all of my weaknesses, too!

Synergy:
Fire goes to: Tentacruel
Ground goes to: Gliscor, Zapdos, Azelf

Why this pokemon?: Because Miltia Man said so... It also counters my biggest threat, Gyarados.

How it helps Empoleon: Beats Scizor, Gyara, Mence, and a whole lot of other annyoing things.

Tentacruel@ Black sludge.
Liquid ooze
Calm
Ev’s: 252 Hp, 120 Def, 136 Spatk
Moves:
- Toxic spike
- Surf
- Hp electric
- Rapid spin

Summary: Exellant switch in on trickers, since all are hindered by black sludge. Toxic spikes are great support for me, and Rapid spin owns the opponent. Surf is a great stab and Hp electric hits Gyara.

Synergy:
Physic goes to: Brongzong, Azelf, Empleon
Ground goes to: Azelf, Zapdos, Gliscor, Brongzong
Electric goes to: Gliscor

Why this pokemon?: Gets rid of those nasty entry hazards, and has good typing. Also can hit pretty hard and hurts Gyara. Sets up Ts, which make some pokemon think twice before the switch in.

How it helps Empoleon: Empoleon laughs at poisoned pokemon as they slowly lose health. Hits Gyara hard too, which Empoleon approves of. Also takes rid of entry hazards like spikes,

TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

I wanted to have a team based around Empoleon.

Someone told me that Empoleon is good with Ts support so I added a Roserade lead.

Scizor is an awesome sweeper, so he was added.

I needed some rocks. Hello Brongzong.

I wanted to add some resitances and power, so I added a Gliscor.

I needed a Gyara and Scizor counter. I added Zapdos.

OH SHIT. I found some major weaknesses. Like fire and when Zapdos is gone Gyara can set up on anyone. Also Scizor and Roserade just weren’t working. I changed Roserade to Azelf.

Still had to replace Scizor and lacked Ts, and needed a Gyara check. When all hope was lost I found Tentacruel.

Miltia man brings to mind my Gyara weakness and suggest replacing my Brongzong for an awesome Jirachi. I do.

Final product:

THREAT LIST (of highly used OU pokemon.)
High threat level is in RED, medium in ORANGE, and none in BLACK.

● This guy is countered by my Empoleon, which resists the normal set.

● Gliscor can set up on this tub of lard.

My new Jirachi makes this thing into mince meat.

Usually locks itself into Earthpower which gives me a switch to one of my ground immune pokemon, mainly Gliscor who can get a Sd when the Heatran switches. If locked into Dragon pulse Empoleon likes to set up and Surf.

● Water, ground, and rock moves dent this monkey.

Hit it quick and hard with ice. Usually helps me get the Petaya boost with Empoleon who will than Ice beam the shit out of it.

● Nice typing buddy.

Hurts my steels pretty badly… hopefully switches into my Brongzong who can Eq it or my Emploeon with an Agility or two and petaya activated.

● Brongzong handles this nicely.

a’s
These guys can be pretty tricky… lol pun… they use trick… … Well I usually send in does who can hit it with heat wave for neutral damage, or Gliscor who isn’t afraid of any of them besides the washer and fridge form. I guess it also depends on the form. What I said above is for the most common one, the oven.

● LOL SR AND ICE

● Zapdos works best, Gliscor and Empoleon can work too. Azelf stops Sd sets.

● Zapdos is waiting for this with hp grass. Surf is pretty good too.

● My team doesn’t mind the sand and can hit with: Gyro ball, Eq (best two options), Surf, Hp grass

● Sr and Stone edge work well. If Empoleon has an Agility it will Ice beam.

OLD TEAM MEMBERS

Brongzong@ Leftovers
Levitate
Sassy
Ev’s: 252 Hp, 86 Atk, 80 Def, 92 Spdef
Iv’s: None in speed, for max damage on Gyro ball.
Moves:
- Stealth rock
- Hypnosis
- Earthquake
- Gyro ball

Summary: This guy sets up the rocks and puts stuff to sleep. How awesome is that? Let me tell you, very awesome. Eq hits many things for Se, so it is a great addition to this guy. Gyro ball makes use of his low speed and hits with stab, pretty good against rock types (T-tar).

Synergy:
Fire goes to: Tentacruel

Why this pokemon?: I needed rocks and an immunity to ground. He also has access to sleep support.

How it helps Empoleon: Sets up rocks, which damage counters that want to switch into Empoleon. Also puts annoying things to sleep.

There are 0 pokemon on this team hit by Toxic Spikes.

First off, I really like this team on paper, however you need an answer to DDGyara,which can get out of hand, Tentacruel is no check to a Gyara. I personally like this Jirachi in place of Bronzong especially with Hypnosis having very low accuracy since Platinum.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SAtk
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Fire Punch
- Iron Head
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Punch

The only other thing I could suggest from there is to try to stick stealth rock on either Gliscor or Azelf somewhere, but I think this team is solid on paper.

Hello.

This is a pretty decent team, but has a massive Gyarados weakness. Life Orb Gyarados after a Dragon Dance completely obliterates you, as Earthquake will OHKO Tentacruel and Stone Edge will OHKO Zapdos. For this reason, I suggest using a more reliable Gyarados counter than Zapdos, Rotom-A:

Rotom-A @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold / 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
- Thunderbolt / Will-O-Wisp / Rest / Sleep Talk

This is a much better Gyarados counter, able to counter and defeat most sets, barring some unforeseen hax. Thanks to Rest and Sleep Talk, Rotom-A can also take status for your team. Will-O-Wisp is insurance against Tyranitar, while also allowing you to beat even Pursuit Scizor. It also hits a lot of Pokemon on the switch, although watch out for Heatran.

Speaking of Heatran, your team will also have a lot of trouble dealing with it. If it has a Life Orb, even Tentacruel will be defeated if it tries to counter it, as a boosted Earth Power will surely finish it off. Especially since you lack any Special Defense EVs. Empoleon, Zapdos, and Bronzong are all slower than it and will also be OHKOed most likely. Gliscor is your only "check" to it with Earthquake, but is far from a reliable switch in. For this reason I suggest replacing Tentacruel with Calm Mind Suicune, who is an excellent Pokemon to set up behind Dual Screens, which Azelf sets up.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid / EVs: 252 HP / 56 SpA / 200 Spe
- Calm Mind / Surf / Ice Beam / Hidden Power Electric

This is a fast, yet bulky Suicune, easily ripping apart many offensive team. You can get up a Calm Mind or two behind a Reflect and Light Screen, and then OHKO most Pokemon after that. Ice Beam is mainly for Celebi, while HP Electric is for enemy bulky Water-types. The reason for max HP is to reliably counter Heatran and Infernape, as otherwise, it would risk being defeated by Hidden Power or a boosted Close Combat. The Speed is enough to beat Adamant Lucario and Timid Heatran as well.

Gliscor really wants a Jolly nature in order to counter Jolly Lucario, who often runs Ice Punch. The boosting nature also means you outspeed neutral nature Salamence, allowing you to OHKO it with a boosted Stone Edge. You also outspeed (or tie with) Jirachi that lack a Choice Scarf. You could also move the 40 Def EVs into Attack, since your primary goal seems to be sweeping and not walling stuff. I would also try Life Orb on Gliscor for the power boost, but if you really want a berry then I would use Passho Berry. This allows you to take a Surf or Waterfall which is extremely helpful. You can beat some Latias this way and even Suicune and Vaporeon.

I agree. I don't know how you worked out that 4 of your team members are hit by Toxic Spikes, they are all immune and give you no trouble whatsoever. Due to this you don't really need a rapid spinner on your team. Also give tentacruel leftovers, black sludge only gives a tricker another weapon to hit your team with.

Although I like tentacruel on the team because he can set-up TS for an easier empoleon sweep and absorb opposing TS, like I said before TS doesn't give your team much hastle. You also need a better gyarados check and tentacruel isn't a reliable one. I recommend you use vaporeon as a more sturdy gyarados check with the following set:

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 188 HP/252 Def/70 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Wish
- Protect

This is a bulky spread that allows you to come in on gyarados after a DD and OHKO with HP. He also act as a wish passer to aid your team such as bronzong, azelf (if he's still alive) and most importantly empoleon. With wish passing from vapoeon, empoleon can have more chances at setting up to sweep.

Hope this helped. Good luck!

Hahahahaha, sorry about the Toxic spikes thing (I dont even know what happened.)

I find that with Miltia man's suggestion most of my problems are fixed.
MetaNite if Heatran becomes a problem I will try your cune suggestion or Zombie Leon's vapreon.
Thank you.

I dont want to repeat what the others have said about your Gyara weakness, but instead of the calm mind offencive suicune, how about a calm mind defencive Crocune.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Evs: 252 Hp/252 def
Bold Nature (+def/-atk)
-Surf
-Calm Mind
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

This totally counters Gyara because even after on ddance eq can barely harm it. It can come in one Gyara and set up. You also dont have any sort of sleep or status absorber so this suicune can help much more. Also nicely stops Heatran and can out stall CM Latias and just beat the others.

I'd suggest using U-turn on your Jirachi, in place of Ice Punch. U-turn enables you to switch out of counters so that you can set up with other pokes. Also, I don't understand why you have Thunderbolt on him either, Thunderpunch is the better option unless you run a mixset. Rapid Spin isn't really needed here, as your one poke with a SR weakness has recovery. Try using a Vaporeon in place of Tentacruel to help with your Gyara weakness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)