Salamander's Yard

Hello everyone. ^_^

After a good amount of laddering, I got to a CRE of 1416, which is good by my standards, however I want to go higher, but have a hard time. I will skip over the team-building walkthrough, since I have replaced many pokes that I practically lost count.

Through the Binoculars

1st Leg

Gliscor@Leftovers
Jolly : Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 Spe
-Earthquake
-Taunt
-Stealth Rock
-Roost

Gliscor is a very nice lead, able to stop slower leads, and helps deal with stall courtasy of taunt. Earthquake is for STAB, which hits Metagross, Heatran, among others for super effective damage. Also, it helps to check Lucario, if healthy enough to accomplish it. Taunt, helps deal with stall, and prevents other leads from setting anything up. However, almost every lead which is Taunted, except Smergle, can seriously hurt Gliscor. An example would be Heatran, which can Fire Blast away. Stealth Rock, is obviously needed, since it helps reveal the opposing items, and helps wear down threats, especially very dangrous flyers, such as Salamence, and Gyarados'. Roost, is for longevity, which helps in the long run, to counter threats such as Tyranitar and Lucario. Previously, I had Knock Off over Roost, to knock off Shed Shell off of Fortress', and Skarmorys. To help Magnezone trap them. However, since it was deblitating to Gliscor's health, it was changed.

The EVs are fairly easy to understand. 252 HP is for maximum longevity, which helps. 36 Def for the needed bulk. 220 Spe is to outspeed opposing 216 Spe Gliscors. In addition, outspeeds base 90s. Jolly, is mainly to outspeed base 90s such as Roserade, and Lucarios. Sand Veil which helps gain a free turn. Hyper Cutter is on because I have no way to hit the popular Intimidaters: Salamence, and Gyarados.

2nd Leg

Scizor@Choice Band
Adamant : Technician
EVs: 162 HP / 180 Atk / 168 SpD
-Bullet Punch
-U-Turn
-Superpower
-Quick Attack

Ahh, everyone either loves Scizor, or hates them. Scizor I must say helps this team very much, Thanks to his decent bulk, and awesome resistances, and priorties.

Bullet Punch is obvious, STAB and Techinician boosted. Helps revenge dangrous threats such as Salamences, and Tyranitars. However, every good thing comes with a bad thing. Magnezone can easily come in and start pounding away, or set up. U-Turn is to scout the switch in, and hit Psychics to massive damage. Superpower is for when a predicted Heatran, or Magnezone is expected to switch in. Quick Attack is for run away Infernapes and Gyarados'. However, I don't know wheter to change Quick Attack to Pursuit. Since I already have a Pursuiter, but he isn't as strong I would like him to be.

The EVs, I honestly don't know. However, I have heard that 10% power is given up, for 70% boost specially; which is good enough for me.

3rd Leg

Metagross@Leftovers
Careful : Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
-Meteor Mash
-Bullet Punch
-Pursuit
-Earthquake

Metagross serves as my primary special tank to take down Latias' and Gengar, since if they pack HP Fire is OHKOed, while Metagross at best is 2KOed. Also, serves as my Primary MixMence swicth in, since most haphazrdly uses Draco Metoer, and combined with his resistance, EVs, and Wish he can take a beating.

Meteor Mash is for STAB and even with only 4 Attack EVs is still does decent damage. Bullet Punch is for priorty should Scizor fall somw how. Pursuit I think is the crux of this et. Many props to RaikouLover for this article: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66064. Pursuit allows to punish fleeing Latias', and Gengars; which is his main uses. Earthquake is a filler, hitting opposing steels, namely Heatran and Magnezones.

The EVs is for maximum special bulk. However, when I use using Raikou's EV spread, I was 2koed by Gengar's Life Orbed Shadow Ball. To deal with it max Special Bulk is needed. With the current spread a Shadow BAll dos at max, 42%. Meaning it can't 2ko with SR, factoring in Leftovers. However, the loss in power is noticable, but it can be dealt with, somewhat.

4th Leg

Magnezone@Choice Scarf
Naive : Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Flash Cannon
-Hidden Power Grass
-Explosion

The 4th leg is supposed to be the fastest one on the relay. And with Choice Scarf he is able to accomplise that task. Magnezone's role is 2-fold. Trap Weakned steels: such as Scizors and non-scarfed Heatrans. The 2nd task is to revenge anything from an Infernape to Salamence.

Thunderbolt is for STAB, which is the most common method of dealing with Infernapes and Salamences, among other individuals. Flash Cannon is for added STAB, and helps take down rouge Tyranitars, and Mamoswines.
Hidden Power Grass is used mainly because Swamperts cause so many problems for this team. Previously I had used Hidden Power Ice, to take down Gliscors, and other Ice weak Mons. Explosion is for the bulky Suicunes which have the combination of CM+Rest, which means I can't stall with Vaporeon, unless CroCune Variation. It has the added effect of weakening something, should Magnezone be on its last leg.

The EVs are self-explaitory, max Special Attack, and Speed. Which reaches the 360 benchmark. 4 Atk EVs since with Explosion it does; 81.9% - 96.5% against 0/252 Calm Blissey.

1st Alternate

Vaporeon@Leftovers
Bold : Water Absorb
EVs: 188 HP / 248 Def / 72 Spe
-Surf
-Hidden Power Electric
-Wish
-Protect

Vaporeon seems like the glue which holds this team together, and yet, feels like the weakest link. Vaporeon handles a mayrid of threats, Mamowine to Gyarados'.

Surf is for STAB which hits for excellent neutrel coverage, hitting Heatran, Mamoswine, among others for super effective damage. Hidden Power Electris is to hit mainly Gyarados'. Since other wise I would have a very hard to dealing with Gyarados' Wish + Protect is excellent for healing, not only for herself, and everyone else. Everyone else resists a super effective attack aimed towards Vaporeon, which is excellent. Electric goes to Gliscor and Magnezone, Grass Goes to everyone but Gliscor. In reutrn, Vapreon can take super effective attack aimed at others. Ice and Water aimed at Gliscor, fire towards the 3 steel members. Ice aimed towards Salamence.

The EVs are straight forward. 188 HP allows to a Leftovers to heal maximum HP. 248 HP to easily deal with run away Infernapes, and Gyarados'. 72 Spe is to outspeed other 68 Spe Vapreons, should the need arise.

2nd Alternate

Salamence@Life Orb
Naive : Intimidate
EVs: 80 Atk / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Brick Break
-Roost

Salamence was previously the bulky Physical Dancer. Salamence also allows to come in on all of the Steel's weakness', which means he has amny opportunites to come in, and having Wish and Roost allows for much longavity.

Draco Metoer hits hard, as many people know. As some individuals expect the DDer, they get hit by a bomb. However, I don't hapazardly use Draco Meteor, since people are starting to know that they usually use Draco Metoer almost always, and as a result I hit steels trying to absorb the DM, which is excellent. Brick Break allows to break stall easier, being able to 2ko Blisseys. Many battlers also go to Blissey, after I have revealed DM, and the predicted switch in, cam result in a dead Special wall. Roost is for obvious healing, which allows for Salamence to shed his SR weakness and other damage encurred.

EVs are somewhat straigh forward. Max speed to at least tie with base 100s. should the need arise that I only have Salamence to revenge a basee 100, he can at the very least tie with it. However, as a result doesnt hit as hard Specially.

Thanks to everyone who read it. ^_^

Threat List

Legend:

----: Very Dangrous to handle
----: Can be handled, but can get out of hand, if expertly handled
----: Easy to handle

: Leads are very tricky, since I lack U-Turn to weaken them. I go to Metagross, since it can take a Fire Blast easily. Then a combo of Meteor Mash + Bullet Punch takes him down, but I take a good amount of damage. (53.8% - 63.7%)

: A large threat, since the threat of Sleep always incapacite a member of the team. The one who goes to sleep is usually the one who serves the least purpose against the opponsing team. Gliscor and Salamence is my primary switch in, since they resist Focus Punch, and can heal. In addition, Gliscor is able to Taunt to stop Leech Seeds, etc.

: Not a large threat. Having Scizor to hit it with a 4x U-Turn is always excellent. With the extra bulk, the normal 220 Def / 0 SpA cant OHKO Scizor. Gliscor is another added benefit of taking pultry from Grass Knot and Thunder Wave. Salamence, can FB a weakened Celebi.

: Causes so much trouble, thanks to the type coverage provided by it's attacks. Salamence and Gliscor is hit by Ice Punch / HP Ice, Vaporeon is hit with Thunderbolt, the rest is hit by Flamethower (46.7% - 55.2%). Metagross can survive a Flamethower at full health and KO with EQ however.

: Not that big of a problem. The SubPetayaAgility set is in check by Vaporeon. Since at low HP my priority attack can take it down at low HP, while GK vs Vapreon does a poultry 60 base damage.

: The Scarf set is held in check my my various steels, and Gliscor. The steels can take the U-Turn, and the STAB Dragon Attacks. Gliscor can take the STAB ground attack, same with Salamence, but not always worth the risk.

: Metagross comes in first. Able to juggle it with Pursuit, MM, and BP. Pursuit a fleeing Gengar, MM a staying one, BP to kill a weakned one. As a last resort Scizor and Magnezone can take it out.

: Doesn't doesn't seem to be a large threat. Since Vaproeon can check it with it's powerful STAB water attacks. Salamence outspeeds all version, and hit it with a DM. My own Gliscor can Taunt another to prevent SDs, and other tank moves.

: My only check is Vaporeon. Albeit an excellent one; but without Vaporeon, I'm hard pressed to take a healthy one down. In desperation, a quick attack from Scizor can take him down.

: Hard to handle, considering I have 3 steels on the team. Vaproen is again my primary check to it, but can be Toxic-ed. Salamence can come in on Fire attacks and Earth Powers as a last result to 2ko with Brick Break. Same with Gliscor vs non-scarfed Heatrans.

: Easy to handle, since I gave Gliscor and Salamence. Both of which have recovery and resists Heracross' STABs.

: Can cause my troubles, if Vapreon is out of the battle, and the opposing player knows my Magnezone is Scarfed. Since the steels are taken down by Fire attacks, and the rest is taken down by HP Ice.

: Can cause trouble, the CM sets can be halted by Glsicor, albeit it takes some damage in thr process. It can be taunted, and hit with Earthquakes. The choices sets are taken care of my everyone but Gliscor and Salamence. Magnezone has the added effect of trapping non-U-Turn versions.

: Tricky to handle, my main method is to bait it into using Outrage, then to go my steels.

: Not that much of a problem, having Scizor and Metagross allows me to have a easier time, since they're both bulky, and can take her attacks fairly well.

: Not that big a problem, since 3 pokes; Gliscor, Magnezone, Salamence all out speed and hit it with a SE attack. Magnezone is my last resort since its T-Bolt cant OHKO but can KO a weakned one.

: Extremely annoying. Gliscor can handle non-Ice Punch versions. However, if they have Ice punch, it can severly weaken my core, if not destroy it. If worst comes to worst Magnezone can explode on it, dealing a min of 84%.

: Ironically, the Magnezone only can trap Scizor and my own Magnezone. However, sets with HP Ice causes much greif, and sets that outspeed Metagross also hurts. Can take out almost everyone with a set of Magnet Rise / Sub / T-bolt / HP Ice.

: Easy to handle; Scizor can BP, Metgross can also BP, in addition to MM. Magnezone can outspeed and hit it with Flash Cannon. Vapreon can tank hits, and hit it with Surf.

: Not that big of a threat, the non-agility sets are trapped by Magnezones. The agillity sets with Ice Punch can be handles with Vapreon, the ones with ThunderPunch is handles by Gliscor.

: Can hit very hard, thanks to Metagross' typing he resists Porygon's STAB. And fire off Bullet Punchs if low on health. Scizor can use priority, Magnezone can revenge non-scarfed versions. Salamence can outspeed non-scarf as well.

: Lead sets almost always Leaf Storm, since they know Taunt is coming. After that I go to Metagross to tank, and hit it back. All-in-all can come in several times if played right and just cause anoyance.

: The Choice Versions require playing around with, and allow Metagross to come in and pursuit them. Non-Scarfed Gliscor can taunt, but can't do anything in return.

: Not that big of a threat, DMs can be taken by the steels, the DDer can be baited into a dragon attack then taken out my my steels.

: Gliscor can come into CB sets, thanks to resistance to U-Turn. The SD set can be handle by my steels, especially Magnezone.

: Curse sets are really annoying, since I can taunt it, but hard to take down, since it can cause damage to my only fighting user; Salamence.

: Metagross again is my main guy, but Metagross can easily be overcome with all the damage incurred. Scizor can U-Turn but cant Pursuit. Magnezone can out speed the defensive sets.

: The CM sets are very hard to take down. Since its STAB Surf hit 4/6 of the team neutrally or Super effectivly. Vapreon is my only choice but, with CM and Rest it can stall me out. Magnezone's Explosion can be used, however, Suicune must be under 50% for the Explosion to KO.

: Not a problem at all. Gliscor can EQ, and tank hits. Metagross & Scizor can take down any set, one can use up the Babiri berry, and the other can KO. Magenzone outspeeds non-speed boosting sets and hits it with Flash Cannon. Same with Salamence, except with Brick Break.

: Hard to take down, especially the sets with HP Ice. My only way is to weaken it, then hit it with DM from Salamence.

Just a quick suggestion, maybe you could have HP Fire over HP Grass on Magnezone to put a dent in other Steel-types. You already have STAB Thunderbolt to kill Water-types not named Swampert.

Thanks for the reply ^_^, the reason I have HP Grass over Ice is because Swampert was being a big pain, since no one can OHKO him. But, I'll consider your advice.

If you are so worried about Suicune and Zapdos, why don't you change Toxic on Magnezone for Explosion. Most Suicune carry Rest anyway so Toxic doesn't do to well. Explosion will also severe damage Machamp if not killing it (same goes for Electivire).

Also Gyarados with Dragon Dance do not often have Earthquake so Magnezone can switch in as well and KO with Thundebolt.

I never thought of that :D, I always wonder if I should change Earthquake on Metagross to Explosion. However, your suggestion is way better. Thanks!

Hey, I saw your visitor message and I will happily rate this team.

On Gliscor, the Defense Evs wont help at all, at least not as much as running max Speed would, since it outspeeds all Gliscor lower than that (most players won´t use max Speed) and Taunt them, rendering them useless. 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Def should be your new set.
On Scizor, I don´t know why you have such a bulky spread when you have specially defensive Metagross along him. I reccomend you to use the standard CB spread
248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe / 4 Def
This spread allows you to hit Swampert harder as well, with U-turn.

You said you have problems with Swampert, have you ever considered running Explosion on Metagross? Even without Attack Evs it deals a massive blow in almost everything that doesn´t resist it; it will also help with your Cro Cune weakness.

I think that this team will benefit from a Dragon Dance Salamence rather than your current set; test the changes and tell us how they worked.

Good luck with your team!

Metagross, Scizor and Magnezone all have one thing in common; they're all weak to fire attacks. With everything now running HP Fire and Heatran being omnipresent this isn't good to have. You claim to use Metagross as your special wall, but I have someone who can do a better job, add a fire resistance to your team and help check the Gyarados you're worrying about. This pokemon is Scarf Tyranitar. He can take Gengar's Shadow Balls very well but taking Draco Meteors isn't always nice. He also supplies excellent synergy with Scizor, being able to deal with almost all of his counters, and can act as Scizor bait for Magnezone. In the last slot, Dragon Steel is very effective and could aid your team, but giving up Vappy is a hard decision, since it can heal your teammates and provide useful resistances. If I myself had to choose it'd be Vappy, but I hope whatever you pick works out for you. Hope I helped.

(The tar set is)
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Speed (You can change it to a mixed set if you'd like)
Jolly
Sand Stream
Stone Edge
Crunch
Pursuit
Superpower/Earthquake

Hey, I saw your visitor message and I will happily rate this team.

On Gliscor, the Defense Evs wont help at all, at least not as much as running max Speed would, since it outspeeds all Gliscor lower than that (most players won´t use max Speed) and Taunt them, rendering them useless. 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Def should be your new set.
On Scizor, I don´t know why you have such a bulky spread when you have specially defensive Metagross along him. I reccomend you to use the standard CB spread
248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe / 4 Def
This spread allows you to hit Swampert harder as well, with U-turn.

You said you have problems with Swampert, have you ever considered running Explosion on Metagross? Even without Attack Evs it deals a massive blow in almost everything that doesn´t resist it; it will also help with your Cro Cune weakness.

I think that this team will benefit from a Dragon Dance Salamence rather than your current set; test the changes and tell us how they worked.

Good luck with your team!
Thanks for your advice. I never thought of maxing Gliscor's speed, since the added bulk is nice, I'll try your advice. In addition, I though MixMence would prove helpful, but I can see how DD Mence can help. ^_^

Metagross, Scizor and Magnezone all have one thing in common; they're all weak to fire attacks. With everything now running HP Fire and Heatran being omnipresent this isn't good to have. You claim to use Metagross as your special wall, but I have someone who can do a better job, add a fire resistance to your team and help check the Gyarados you're worrying about. This pokemon is Scarf Tyranitar. He can take Gengar's Shadow Balls very well but taking Draco Meteors isn't always nice. He also supplies excellent synergy with Scizor, being able to deal with almost all of his counters, and can act as Scizor bait for Magnezone. In the last slot, Dragon Steel is very effective and could aid your team, but giving up Vappy is a hard decision, since it can heal your teammates and provide useful resistances. If I myself had to choose it'd be Vappy, but I hope whatever you pick works out for you. Hope I helped.

(The tar set is)
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Speed (You can change it to a mixed set if you'd like)
Jolly
Sand Stream
Stone Edge
Crunch
Pursuit
Superpower/Earthquake
Thanks for the advice, never considered ScarfTar, even though he has been successful lately. I'll try him over Metagross. ^_^

You have a good team just get ride of quick attack on scizor the intimadation drop from gyra and mence wont gaurentee you a KO even with technition and BP + stab will do more to it with the drop alone, just do the damage calcs and see for yourself.Also you dont wanna be locked into a move so weak even to revenge kill because they can predicte and switch to a ghost if they scout your team out and you would reather have a "not very effective move" hit a pokemon then a "doesnt effect" hit a pokemon, that could cost you the game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)