Shuppet (Analysis)'

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATUS: INCOMPLETE-- Have not begun testing of all sets quite yet, just gonna put up some viable-seeming sets to remind myself that I need to test them. I haven't done anything with the new format yet, so let me know if I need to fix anything format-wise.
- Added comments for Trick Room Setup set.
- Added comments for Suicide Anti-Lead set.

[Overview]

<p>Shuppet was almost completely overshadowed by Misdreavus' presence prior to her ban; now that she's out of the way, Shuppet's unique qualities have a chance to shine. Shuppet's impressive offensive stats, rather poor speed, decent offensive movepool and access to Trick Room make it both excellent at setting up and effectively utilizing Trick Room. Its movepool also provides it with some handy support options that can be viably used outside TR.</p>

[SET]
name: Trick Room Setup
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Destiny Bond
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Hidden Power (Fight) / Thunderbolt
item: Focus Sash
ability: Insomnia
nature: Quiet
evs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 SpD
ivs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is probably Shuppet's most useful set, combining its ability to set up Trick Room with its ability to offensively utilize it. As a lead, it resists Fake Out thanks to typing and sleep thanks to Insomnia, and with a Focus Sash it can always successfully set up Trick Room (barring Taunt, which is uncommon in LC) and if attacked, it can then opt to take a foe down with Destiny Bond, giving an incoming TR sweeper a free switch-in. If your opponent opts not to attack in the first turn, you can go on the offensive yourself with the unresisted Ghost-Fighting type combo of Shadow Ball and Hidden Power (or Thunderbolt). </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Destiny Bond will, of course, fail against any lead utilizing any priority move other than Fake Out / Quick Attack, and against Snover (especially offensive variants) you will not likely get the chance to do anything outside of setting up TR. It should be noted that if you opt for HP Fighting, your Special Attack gets lowered by a point (and since 252 EVs are required to achieve 17 SpA with full EVs, it's impossible to invest any more) so Thunderbolt is an option to consider in its place, since Ghost / Electric still get pretty good coverage together.</p>

[SET]
name: Trick Room Sweeper
move 1: Shadow Ball
move 2: Hidden Power (Fight)
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Sucker Punch / Shadow Sneak
item: Life Orb
ability: Insomnia / Frisk
evs: 8 HP / 236 Atk / 252 SAtk / 12 SDef
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p></p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p></p>

[SET]
name: Suicide Anti-Lead
move 1: Trick
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Destiny Bond
move 4: Will-O-Wisp / Taunt / Thunder Wave / Confuse Ray
item: Choice Scarf
nature:
evs:

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is a set specifically designed to counter Stealth Rock or other setup leads. It's mostly a gimmick set, as I haven't had a great deal of success with it, but it IS surprising and can really screw people up if they're not expecting it. Trick locks your opponent's lead into setup moves like Stealth Rock, usually disabling it. You can then threaten the switch-in with a status move like Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave, or give yourself some breathing room with Destiny Bond. A nice side effect of Tricking your Scarf onto leads is that you often steal the common lead item, Focus Sash, giving you a little breathing room in the event that your opponent goes on the offensive from the outset. Outside of disabling SR or Screen leads, though, it's usually best to retreat to a waiting ally after or even before using Trick in most cases. Destiny Bond can be saved to take down sweepers, and Taunt can be utilized over status moves to disable setup leads while still letting you use Trick to disable someone else later. This Shuppet has a pretty short life span and you shouldn't really expect it to last too long outside of crippling foes, which is why having Destiny Bond helps (although with Shuppet's poor speed whien not using a Scarf, chances are you won't get to use it).</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p></p>

[Team Options]

<p></p>

[Optional Changes]

<p></p>

[Counters]

<p>Houndour</p>

<p>Munchlax</p>

<p>Stunky</p>

Added some comments for Trick Room Setup and Suicide Anti-Lead sets. Phrasing may be a bit awkward, possibly not concise enough, so I'll most likely go back to edit it later.

Not necessarily about the analysis already up but it has other options when setting up TR. Namely the TR Taunt Destiny Bond combo. Not sure if you want to put it in anywhere or even if it is viable but i have had success with a lead set based around those three moves.

...hm... I hadn't thought of that. :0 Goes to show my lack of creativity... I'll go ahead and test it out, get Taunt up there as an option.

Another thing I've noticed about D-Bond, that I should mention in the analysis, is that it acts as a switch-opener for your team against foes like Croagunk, Machop, Munchlax and other non-boosting attackers when used with proper prediction. Use D-Bond, and if they hesitate to attack you, you can use it again and then switch with the knowledge that your switchin will likely not be attacked.

Thanks for your input, it's most appreciated.

-EDIT- now that I actually think about it, there are a few reasons why Taunt-Dbond-TR isn't that favorable. One, Shuppet needs TR in order to use either of those moves effectively, which leads to two, using Taunt and Dbond both takes up two turns that Shuppet's teammates need to start sweeping. What's more, Shuppet can't prevent SR setup with Taunt until TR is used, being too slow, and by the time he's made it to his third turn to use DBond, he's probably dead before he gets the chance to use it. =\ This is purely presumption and prediction, of course, so I'll still need to test it to be sure, but it isn't sounding all that good for the reasons I mentioned.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Shuppet was almost completely overshadowed by Misdreavus' presence prior to its [Pokemon are only assumed a gender when they can only be of that gender, I.E. Kangaskhan or Nidoking] ban; now that it's out of the way, Shuppet's unique qualities have a chance to shine. Impressive offensive stats, rather poor speed, decent offensive movepool and access to Trick Room make it both excellent at setting up and effectively utilizing Trick Room. Its movepool also provides it with some handy support options that can be viably used outside of Trick Room.</p>

[SET]
name: Trick Room Setup
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Destiny Bond
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Hidden Power (Fight) / Thunderbolt
item: Focus Sash
ability: Insomnia
evs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 SpD
ivs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is probably Shuppet's most useful set, combining its ability to set up Trick Room with the ability to offensively utilize it. As a lead, it is immune to Fake Out thanks to typing and sleep thanks to Insomnia, and with a Focus Sash it can always set up Trick Room (barring Taunt, which is uncommon in LC [Meowth?]) and, if attacked, it can then opt to take a foe down with Destiny Bond, giving an incoming Trick Room sweeper a free switch-in. If your opponent opts not to attack in the first turn, you can go on the offensive yourself with the unresisted Ghost-Fighting type combination of Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting. Thunderbolt in place of Hidden Power Fighting also achieves excellent coverage. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Destiny Bond will, of course, fail against any lead utilizing any priority move other than Fake Out / Quick Attack, and against Snover (especially offensive variants) you will not likely get the chance to do anything outside of setting up TR. It should be noted that if you opt for HP Fighting, your Special Attack gets lowered by a point (and since 252 EVs are required to achieve 17 SpA with full EVs, it's impossible to invest any more) so Thunderbolt is an option to consider in its place, since Ghost / Electric still gain good coverage together.</p>

[SET]
name: Suicide Anti-Lead
move 1: Trick
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Destiny Bond
move 4: Will-O-Wisp / Taunt / Thunder Wave / Confuse Ray
item: Choice Scarf
nature:
evs:

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is a set specifically designed to counter Stealth Rock and other setup leads. It's mostly a gimmick set, as I haven't had a great deal of success with it, but it IS surprising and can really screw people up if they're not expecting it. [Very subjective phrasing and I doubt gimmick sets have places in an analysis] Trick locks your opponent's lead into setup moves like Stealth Rock, usually disabling it. You can then threaten the switch-in with a status move like Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave, or give yourself some breathing room with Destiny Bond. A nice side effect of Tricking your Scarf onto leads is that you often steal the common lead item, Focus Sash, giving you an extra turn in the event that your opponent goes on the offensive from the outset. Outside of disabling SR or Screen leads, though, it's usually best to retreat to a waiting ally after or even before using Trick in most cases. Destiny Bond can be saved to take down sweepers, and Taunt can be utilized over status moves to disable setup leads while still letting you use Trick to disable someone else later. This Shuppet has a pretty short life span and you shouldn't really expect it to last too long outside of crippling foes, which is why having Destiny Bond helps (although with Shuppet's poor speed whien not using a Scarf, chances are you won't get to use it).</p>
The second set doesn't flow particularly well. A lot of 'you'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)