Fighting Gym Leader Richter

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Overview
So in spite of being new to competitive Pokemon gaming, I decided to join the #Stark challenge and create a mono-Fighting team. Why not right? It got me off my ass and actually into ladder matches, which I was hesitant to try. And you know what? I've actually been doing pretty damn good all things considered. Sometimes it doesn't even feel like mono-Fighting is a handicap, but if that were the case all the time I wouldn't be here right?

The fact of the matter is most teams have 2, maybe 3 if I'm unlucky, Pokemon to counter my Fighting types in general. When they are removed, the game turns into a massacre. Also, it's been extremely easy to learn prediction with this group.

Lead
Infernape (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 64 Atk/192 Spe/252 SpA
Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
- Fake Out
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast

Running a lead has never been so easy for me. For one thing, on an all Fighting team I never have to worry about Stealth Rock. I don't care if my opponent gets it out. Likewise, Stealth Rock is wonderful for me as the opponent isn't going to totally resist it. I'm in love with Fake Out. It's the right move 95% of the time. The other 5% the opponent switches out, but I can still easily get Stealth Rock up. I have Focus Sash out so that Blaze can activate easily, however this usually doesn't happen. Infernape is easily my fastest Pokemon, so you'd think he'd be a good revenge killer, but his two STAB moves are mostly useful against Steel which isn't a threat to my team anyway. But I can't complain, as Lead he gets the job done and even gets kills sometimes.

Physical Sweeper
Heracross (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Megahorn

This Pokemon steals the show from everyone else. In a really good game, I won't even take out Lucario, Machamp, or Gallade. I can get that Swords Dance up 90% of the time, and while 295 Speed isn't perfect I still manage to sweep like a motherfucker. Close Combat and Megahorn are both 120 BP STABS, though I usually go with Megahorn. Facade is useful for its 140 BP, in the rare instance that neither CC nor Megahorn will do neutral damage.

SporePuncher
Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 48 HP/252 Atk/208 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Spore
- Focus Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Stone Edge
I'm loving this Pokemon so much. Breloom is almost a guaranteed kill per fight, and once the opponent is out of Pokemon that resist Fighting Breloom can sweep too. I'll bring Breloom in as a counter, Spore the opponent, then I gotta do some predicting. See, they probably know Focus Punch is coming. And if they have any Flying Types that could threaten my team (TOGEKISS) they tend to switch in on Breloom. So I usually Stone Edge actually, killing Flyers outright. Now, I don't always do this, Focus Punch works wonders later in the fight. I have Seed Bomb to combat Water types, but I've honestly never used it to its full potential.

Reversal Sweeper
Lucario (M) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
- Endure
- Swords Dance
- Crunch
- Reversal
Now, I've had this set on other teams before and its power at sweeping is awesome. Unfortunately, Lucario is a late game sweeper, and the access to Crunch and being Steel type make him far too valuable as a counter. In a good game, Lucario isn't even used. In a bad game, Lucario is used too early and isn't effective. Long story short, I need a different Lucario set. I love this set, but it does nothing for this team.

RestTalker
Machamp (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
- DynamicPunch
- Ice Punch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Very useful Pokemon, but not for the reasons originally intended. Truth be told, I've yet to successfully use RestTalk with this Pokemon on this team. I love his bulk, I love his Leftovers, and the combination of DP and Ice Punch has worked so many wonders you'd think they were four attacks instead of two. Maybe I just need tips on using RestTalk right, I dunno. Anyway, Ice Punch is good against Flying types and those pesky Dragons. For everything else, even those resistant to DynamicPunch don't really want to be hit by it. I really don't have to be afraid of the opponent switching into DP. It's wonderful. But I dunno. Maybe I should switch Rest and Sleep Talk for something else.

Revenge Killer
Gallade (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut
- Ice Punch
- X-Scissor
If there's any Pokemon I'd consider getting rid of, it'd be this guy. And truth be told, I'm not even sure why. If I have to switch him in, he usually gets a kill. But threats that truly need revenge killing, like Salamence and Togekiss, have bowled over him in the past. He does great damage. Can outspeed a variety of Pokemon. His attacks have great coverage, X-Scissor in particular has saved me from several Starmies.

Threat List
I left out most Steels and Waters. Why? Steels will crumble under my all Fighting team, and Water generally takes neutral damage and doesn't end up being all that threatening.

Probably one of the few leads that could give Infernape trouble, but he hasn't yet.

Gallade kills it.

I've yet to have a problem with a lead so far, and Azelf is no exception. They rarely seem to pack Psychic, so after a Fake Out a Fire Blast will usually kill it. If not, Gallade mops up.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Heracross and Breloom aren't afraid of Spore, neither is Machamp for that matter. Infernape will outspeed and him to death.

Just like Metagross, Infernape can outlead him and the rest of the team doesn't have much trouble with him.

Can Gallade say X-Scissor?

Gallade to the rescue.

Potentially as threatening as Salamence.

Last time I faced this guy he burned Lucario, but still got Crunched to death. When Trick Room was put into play, I took out Machamp.

Never faced one, not sure I have anything to worry about.

Nowhere near the threat of Salamence or Dragonite, Ice Punch suffices.

Never faced a Gengar before, but it'd probably go down the same as Rotom. He'd be a pest, die to neutral damage, and then I've won the game.

Machamp and Gallade can kill it, Heracross will sweep it.

Gyarados could pose a problem. Heracross will Facade all over his ass, and Gallade can usually outspeed him. But with Dragon Dance, all bets could be off. Perhaps Machamps bulk and DynamicPunch are the best counters in the long run.

Could be problematic if it sets up before my Heracross, but Infernape is usually faster anyway.

Jirachi's speed and Serene Grace can make him a pest, but he usually can't take 2 Fighting attacks, and god help him against Infernape.

Scary speed, but taken down pretty easily.

Gallade usually takes care of this guy.

Infernape will destroy this guy as a lead, otherwise the rest of my team usually doesn't have trouble with him.

Could probably OHKO it with every Pokemon I have, so not afraid of Baton Pass.

There's enough Ice and Fire on my team to deal with him.

Rotom is always a pest, but taking him out usually means I've won. Lucario can crunch him, and all my Pokemon can hit him for neutral damage. Breloom and Heracross don't fear burn either.

Here's the single biggest threat to my team. If a Dragon Dancer switches into Infernape, Heracross, or even Lucario at this point, it's GG. Machamp and Gallade can Ice Punch, Breloom can Spore, but after one Dragon Dance this beast is unstoppable.

Scizor is Steel. It doesn't stand much chance at living for long against my team, but with Bullet Punch it has been capable of at least one revenge kill in the past.

This guy just can't resist using Whirlwind on Heracross or even Lucario. Infernape toasts him though.

Never fought him, but he can't have much longevity. Still, tricky Pokemon.

Gallade has always been a surefire stop to Starmie.

Suicune is a beast, one I've been fortunate never to face. I know I'm pretty cocky about water types, but Suicune could actually pose a challenge.

Like Starmie, this Water type is best dealt with by Gallade. He can usually set up toxic spikes, but three of my Pokemon don't care about that.

When I predict right, Togekiss dies to a Stone Edge. When I predict wrong, Ice Punch can take care of him. However, I once had my whole team swept by a flinch lucky Togekiss. Once is too much I say.

Like Scizor, has the potential to kill but no potential to stay alive.

Stone Edge and Ice Punch.

Choice scarf on gallade could help with revenge. Maybe you should make lucario a mono special attacker. Not like blissey can do anything about it as aura sphere and a team full of fighting types is enough trouble. Lucario's special movepool is beast. You have aura sphere, psychic, hp whatever, dark pulse, shadow ball, dragon pulse, essentialy, enough stuff to pull it off. Beside dusknoir just took the plunge as a counter.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Choice scarf on gallade could help with revenge. Maybe you should make lucario a mono special attacker. Not like blissey can do anything about it as aura sphere and a team full of fighting types is enough trouble. Lucario's special movepool is beast. You have aura sphere, psychic, hp whatever, dark pulse, shadow ball, dragon pulse, essentialy, enough stuff to pull it off. Beside dusknoir just took the plunge as a counter.
Yeah, Special Lucario is the first thing I've been testing and at the very least Lucario is much, much more useful. I'm not sure if Gallade would be hitting hard enough with a Scarf though.

Yeah just checked. the only Fighting type that can outspeed +1 Mence is Infernape.

I propose this. Use a Scarfed infernape and put Machamp in as your lead. You already have Heracross that can absorb any non sleep status.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Interesting idea, but I can't stress enough how easy using Infernape as a lead has been. Should I change Machamp to be a better lead? And what's to stop a player from switching in their Ghost to avoid a DynamicPunch?

Also, Infernape is the only Fighting Type that can learn Stealth Rock.

Finally, with a Specced Lucario, a Banded Gallade, and a Scarfed Infernape, I'll have three Pokemon that will be choice locked. Is that advisable?

There's no sr, but it probably is necessary. By the way, I just found out Lucario can learn agility. It could be an option for its set. Once Heracross or Breloom has been poisoned/burned, you can absorb sleep. Lucario doesn't need to run specs. It's ok to have three choiced pokemon. Salamence is to big of a threat to remain unchecked. Yes infernape is a good lead, but you can't just let salamence own you. As for the ghost, nothing but you'll have to live.

Special/Specs Luke, as mentioned before, is quite useful. However, in addition to the Modest 252 Special Attack/Speed, 4 HP Aura Sphere, Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse, HP Ice, Vacuum Wave set, I might suggest:

Naive/Life Orb
252 attack, 228 Speed, 28 special attack
Agility/HP Ice/Close Combat/Crunch

I've used that set to great effect in past. It outspeeds any +0 Max (but not Max+) Speed base 100 (Mence). At +2 Speed, only bulky opponents stop you.

Meanwhile, Machamp may want instead to use the Substitute, 3 Attacks set (Leftovers, Adamant, 248 HP, 252 Attack, 8 Speed, Substitute/DynamicPunch/Payback/Stone Edge) with Ice Punch possibly used instead of one of the other moves (Stone Edge could go, possibly). On Breloom, if Seed Bomb isn't useful enough, you could try Substitute as a solid protection.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I'm not quite used to using Sub properly yet, although it'd certainly be easy with Breloom, and alot of foes want to switch out of Machamp. Should that Machamp be my lead though?

Yes Machamp has it's own lead set so look it up. it does rather well against most of the most common leads around.

I personally don't like Machamp as a lead. If you really like infernape and it works for you, use it. Remember, rates are suggestions; you don't need to follow them if you don't like them.

I like the idea of an agility special Luke. If you really like, I'd run Shucca on it. I just ran a calculation and the Shuca guarantees that you can take an unboosted EQ from any Mence set with life orb (I think any pokemon's unSTABed EQ, but don't quote me on that one) POSSIBLY making it a good counter? Well, if you like the LO just use it. Better yet, if you can usually keep the opponent from setting up rocks, I'd try a focus sash, since you don't take damage from the sandstorm, making it a total BEAST after it sets up on Mence (assuming you've killed your opponent's scizor).

I do not like the idea of taking out your Gallade, since it deals with so many psychic threats for your team. If you don't mind not running a full fighting team and want to keep the solid counter on psychics, maybe run scarfTar. Here's the set:
Tyranitar @ Choice scarf
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Stone Edge
~ Crunch
~ Pursuit
~ Earthquake / Superpower

It doesn't help to add that ground weakness, but I think (not know) it'll help with the general flow to your team.

Once again, JUST SUGGESTIONS. Your call man.

Many teams run multiple dragon dancers and quite often Dragonite and Mence together as a physical duo.

Machamp matches well. That is all I am saying. It provides the single best option for dealing with his biggest weakness honestly Agility Lucario isn't an effective check to a dragon dance mence unless they get cocky and go for two boosts.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Actually, I really like using Machamp as a lead. He's not as easy as using Infernape, but if I can get a sub up all sorts of shenanigans are possible due to DynamicPunch. Earlier, I took someone whole team out, and we're talking common OU Pokemon. At the same time, Infernape actually gets to revenge kill and does a good job of it, but he tends to hate being Choice locked.

Both the mix agility Lucario and the pure special Lucario have done very well, and I'm honestly not sure which one I want more.

Anyway 3v3, it's a #Stark challenge so I have to all of one type. When the challenge ends though, I think I'll switch a non-fighting type in.

Hi there =3,
Well first of all im declaring that im DEFFINETLY gona steal this team cuz <3 Fighting types and i never "successfully" made any mono fighting teams.Well truth be told i never successfully made any mono teams or any NORMAL teams for that matter....*Cries*

Well enough about my failiures and onto the team,
Well as youve already feagured it out ur team HATES mence.Dragonite is pretty much a wannabe mence but i really dont find DDnites much often nowadays.Well i wasnt so sure about the speed stats of some of those pokes so i checked and found out that non of them except that flamingmidgitmonkey over there is fast enough to outspeed mence.Well ur gallade can get umm maybe a shadow sneak to revenge kill salamences at about 30%....But thatSTUPIDANNOYINGDRAGON\FIRE\WATER\THUNDER\GROUND\FIGHTING and every other type known to pokemonkind using dragon wont even allow you that pleasure thanks to Intimidate fucking up ur choice band.Well he wants to play rough?We'l (Since i already declared im using this i hope you dont mind if i use the pronoun "We" =P...Thanks) play rough!And if you havnt noticed already im not a very evilflyingdragon loving person....Well as i was saying since Infernape is the only member that can outspeed that "abomination" i suggest a Scarfnape.Well I dont think ppl are exactly what you say "familiar" with such a item choice but that thing has fucked me up in the past.So why not give it a go? =P.Well now since you have a problem with a lead i suggest Machamp :D.I mean there like one of the most if not the most annoying pokemon\lead w\e that ever existed.Any team without like a spiritomb is gona get pissed off seeing that guy.Well since yah machamp is like one of the best leads out there i suggest you get that =P.
Well I gota go now il hopefully edit this and give you a full rate tomorrow =P.

Ps: What no love for lucario? =X

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)