SmogonDex for iPhone, iPod, iPad

First off, I am the developer of a Pokédex app for the iPhone and iPad. If you want to take a peek at it, you can check out http://www.appsbydan.com/pokedex. It has gotten good reviews and modest downloads.

But that app is not really the reason for this thread.

The Idea

I've been toying with the idea of really expanding the usefulness of such an app beyond just looking up stats and moves. What if it was an entire suite of Poké-tools aimed toward the competitive battler?

The Features

• Full "Pokédex" like the one above
  • IV calculator
  • Pokémon comparison
  • Access to Smogon analyses
  • Moveset type coverage
  • Team weakness analysis
  • Versions of X-Act's EV/IV/BST applets
  • Whatever crazy RNG calculator you guys have made
  • EDIT: Damage calculator

The Issues

I am personally interested in developing an app like this, and I think the best outcome would come from working directly with the Smogon community (Official Smogon App perhaps?).

And because it's been brought up in other threads, the remark: "But I can browse Smogon.com fine on my iPhone/iPod..."

No arguments there. However, here are the advantages:
  • Would work almost completely offline (analyses, etc. could be downloaded once and cached on the device)
  • Would provide everything in one coherent package
  • Wouldn't need Java (you can't access X-Act's applets on iPhone)

As a closing question, do you think it would be worth it to make an app solely for Apple devices (albeit an extremely awesome app)?

I think that would be awesome.... It would make it really easy to IV reset on to go (in a car ride or something), and it would let me think up new teams when I'm traveling.

Definetely a must.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Interesting. By "Team weakness analysis", do you mean something comparable to Marriland's Team Builder or are you focusing on individual sets?

I think that sounds like a great idea, and something that I sure wouldn't mind having around with me. Considering most people carry around Apple products nowadays, I think it would be a safe bet to make it for the product, in my opinion.

Too bad I don't have any of those. :P

ya id prefer one like marrilands (shows exact pokes as well as abilities)
im on my iPod so i can't link really but just go to the website and look at the d/p team builder link on the left side

It should have a damage calculator, or else making teams on the go is very diffucult. You need to know what threats you can <arnold schwarzennager> terminate </arnold> and what will come after you.

I'm unlikely to ever buy an iPhone/Pad/Pod Touch. And since Apple have decided to be wankers, you can't develop one app for all platforms.

A damage calculator, of course! Silly that I forgot that.

And cantab, maybe this will be the app that'll make you need an iPad. :P
(But yeah, I'm not thrilled with Apple's rise in evilness lately)

I totally agree! I was gonna go here and suggest the same thing but you did it in a better format. Can't you make it?

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
Wow! This is a great idea. Well considering the fact that Jungle Boy you made the Pokedex app, the info for most of the stuff is openly present on the Smogon website and it shouldn't be that hard to collect it so, when/who will make it?

Sounds like a great idea! On another note, your website seems to be down. (Might just be me though.)

Edit: Got to your website via Google's cache (hooray for Google). Your app looks great; the fact that you can use it offline is extremely nice. [Goes and purchases app.]

AppShopper link for anybody who wants to look at it . . .

Oh, good catch. I've switched over to a new web host now.

First of all, I am totally up for making this app. It seems to always be at the forefront of my thoughts. However, I'm currently busy with a non-Pokémon-related project for the next month, so I won't be able to get any real development done until that's finished.

I was wondering what the site admins think about enabling some sort of web API to access the Pokémon analyses (contact me!). Though I don't know how that data is stored on the back-end, if it were possible, then users would always be able to download the most up-to-date analyses.

Also, I am open for suggestions on functionality/features (I have a bunch of ideas that are floating around in my head, I'll have to get them in a readable format eventually) and design/aesthetics (someone who would like to design UI would be a great help).

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It should have a damage calculator, or else making teams on the go is very diffucult. You need to know what threats you can <arnold schwarzennager> terminate </arnold> and what will come after you.
Why would you make a team on the go? You can't play with it on the go, and if you're sitting down you can use a laptop...

Why would you make a team on the go? You can't play with it on the go, and if you're sitting down you can use a laptop...
Yeah why don't people just put their laptops in their pockets....
1. People rarely want to carry a large, heavy, expensive thing around with them when they can carry a small, light, expensive thing around with them.
2. Picture this: you are sat on a train, bored...your mind wanders to the team you want to build when you get home...OH LOOK I CAN NOW PLAN MY TEAM ON THE TRAIN LIKE A COOL KID.
3.You are Chris is me.

I think this is a great idea. As long as it has a near identical feature to marilands team builder, I'd get this! Just some existing features that should have a similar feature on an app like this:

-mariland team builder
-offline access to smogons analysis' (not too important)
-the ability to make your teams as you do in shoddy and then somehow transfer them when you get home
-damage calc (a similar to one to smogons so you can just choose by the set instead of using alot of time choosing specifics)

I know these are in the OP but for me these should be priority in making them as polished as possible.

Being able to access all these features offline is MASSIVELY important imo, otherwise you would just be on a laptop.

I'd definetely pay a small price for this, if it is a good standard.

Hope you get this done eventually.

Excellent ideas, especially for people who are on the go and just need to look up that one thing about a Pokemon.

Great work and hopefully it can get somewhere.

Being able to RNG while on the go would be the most helpful thing ever.
While i was at the mall the other day waiting for my movie to start i whipped out my DS and decided to just try and catch Giratina over and over again until i got a good IVs, if there was an app for RNG i wouldnt have to be at my computer to get those godly pokes. It would also give me multiple things to do at school(Breeding projects during class ftw).

I would probably also use the damage calculator to use when im having a battle and no access to a computer.

Overall great idea and hope we get something like this in the future

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lol, chrisisme has a purse.

I think the best idea in this thread is the potential ability to build a team in a shoddy team file format, and then have it transferred to your computer. I'm not sure of the logistics of this, but I know I personally have been out and about and not had computer access, but had a great idea for a team (bored in class / at a friend's house / on break at work). It'd be cool if I could whip out my iPhone and start teambuilding, and then continue working on it later when I got home.

If this would released, I'm not sure how popular it would become, but I know I would defiantly get this. Being able to do all of what you have mentioned with a single app would be so much more effective than having to browse online. Personally, I would even pay a little if you came out with an app like this.

Now, I think I will go DL the current app you have now. :)

Being able to RNG while on the go would be the most helpful thing ever.
While i was at the mall the other day waiting for my movie to start i whipped out my DS and decided to just try and catch Giratina over and over again until i got a good IVs, if there was an app for RNG i wouldnt have to be at my computer to get those godly pokes. It would also give me multiple things to do at school(Breeding projects during class ftw).

I would probably also use the damage calculator to use when im having a battle and no access to a computer.

Overall great idea and hope we get something like this in the future
Agreeing with some sort of RNG app. Even a port of Emloop/Pikatimer would be very useful.

Scimjara

Bert Stare
is a Tutor Alumnus
On my iphone that would be one cool app. This would be great and I'd love to be able to use it once its out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)