Tyranitar (CounTar Lead)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey
I honestly don't know why the idea struck me, but i havent been able to get it out of my head since....A Tyranitar with Counter
After running some tests and calculations, I have come up with this set to take on many of the common leads of today's metagame.

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry/Focus Sash
Adamant Nature, 172HP, 168Atk, 80Def, 88Spe

-Counter
-Earthquake
-Pursuit
-Fire Punch/Ice Punch

EVs
<p> The Ev's each serve a specific purpose against different leads. The HP evs mean it will survive either a standard metagross lead (401 attack) meteor mash, or a standard Roserade (349 spa) Leaf Storm. The Atk ev's enable it to 2HKO Metagross with Earthquake, OHKO Roserade with Fire or Ice Punch, and, on average, 2HKO Azelf with Pursuit (assuming it does not switch out) The Defence evs provide with maximum possible bulk while still taking enough minimum damage from the standard swampert lead's Earthquake to counter it for a clean OHKO. No Evs are required in Sp Def due to Sand Storm's boost, and the Speed EVs enable it to outspeed the standard Metagross lead. <p>

MOVESET
<p> Counter is the centrepiece of this set, enabling Tyranitar to counter many of it usual 'counters', as well as many leads. Jirachi's Iron head is countered for an OHKO (nothing can be done about flinching unfortunately), Metagross' Meteor Mash becomes its own death warrant, Swampert's earthquake likewise.

Earthquake provides great coverage and good base power. It hits several leads for good damage, and provides reliable, consistent damage if Tyranitar comes back later in the game.

Pursuit is for STAB as well as hitting ing any pokemon which try to flee, namely Azelf, Aerodactyl, Ninjask and Hippowdon.

Fire Punch ensures a clean OHKO on Roserade, as well as hitting non-gronded steel types. In Mid-Game play, it is also a clean OHKO on standard Choice Band/Swords Dance Scizor. Ice Punch ensures an OHKO on Salamence (not factoring in Stealth Rock, Intimidate or Sandstorm), while still hitting Roserade for an OHKO. <p>

How It Fares Against Common Leads
(Assuming Standard Sets)

Jirachi - Counter Iron Head for OHKO, Earthquake for 2HKO (nothing can be done about flinching though. If tricked a Choice Scarf, Tyranitar reaches 270 Speed, which still doesn't outpace it though.

Metagross - earthquake for 2HKO, Counter a Bullet Punch, then use Earthquake, or Counter a Meteor mash. The only way for Metagross to defeat it is to Meteor mash, then bullet punch

Azelf - Pursuit will 2HKO on average, assuming it stays in, factoring Sand Storm. Immune to Psychic, resisting Flamethrower, and taking about 55% at most from Explosion makes this set a reliable counter.

Swampert - Countering Earthquake is a clean OHKO, and the reason defence is not boosted any further. Although, a different ev spread could be used, just ensure you can KO it with Pursuit.

Aerodactyl - Counter Aerodactyl's Earthquake, then pursuit. Aerodactyl will be OHKO'd no matter if it stays in. Aerodactyl's Earthquake is only a 3HKO.

Hippowdon - Hippowdon's Earthquake, when countered, leaves it with 12HP if Hippowdon's Earthquake does minimum damage. Hippowdon cannot OHKO, but is subsequently easily KO'd by Pursuit.

Bronzong - Can counter either Earthquake or gyro ball, and Finish it with Fire Punch

Tyranitar - Assuming your opponent's Tyranitar has max attack, Counter their Earthquake, and this puts in the KO range for your Earthquake. If they are faster, this Tyranitar will survive another Earthquake.

Roserade - Lum Berry to cause Sleep Powder to be ineffective. Alternatively, Tyranitar will survive a Leaf Storm, and can then OHKO with Fire Punch.

Ninjask - Can only break its Subs.

Against Machamp and Infernape, Tyranitar stands no chance. DynamicPunch and Close Combat are both clean OHKOs. However, if you run Focus Sash, Counter them for the OHKO. (Infernape's Focus Sash is negated by Sand Storm)

Other Pokemon

<p> With the proper support, this Tyranitar can make a comeback mid to late game, able to take on several of the most common OU pokemon.

Scizor - Against the choice band set, you can OHKO it with Fire Punch, or counter a Bullet Punch for OHKO. The Speed EVs mean it will not be hit by Supoerpower or U-Turn.

Heatran - Tyranitar will survive Heatran's Earth Power with ease, 359 S.Atk for Heatran not even a 2HKO at maximum damage. Tyranitar's earthquake is a clean OHKO.

Salamence - If using Ice Punch, it's a clean OHKO (not factoring in entry hazards, intimdate or sandstorm, or roost) however, you can counter its Earthquake, and it will be KO'd by life orb recoil and sand storm. This Tyranitar can also survive (at full health), a +1 earthquake, and, on average, a +2 Outrage from Salamence.

It can Pursuit Gengar or Starmie, while not surviving a Timid Gengar's Life Orb Focus Blast, but having no problems with Starmie's Hydro Pump (assuming Life orb). Gengar is severely crippled, assuming it stays in, but is easily Ko'd if switches out, while Starmie is KO'd on average (if it switches) <p>

Team Options

<p>This Tyranitar works well with Wish support, as it enables it to return later in the game. Vaporeon or Blissey work well here, although both share weaknesses with Tyranitar. Too bad Latias is gone....=( Paralysis is also handy, giving it an edge over faster opponents. Unfortunately, there are some leads it cannot reliably counter, mainly those with STAB fighting-type moves. <p>

<p>That's all i have time for, but I'm sure it's enough to generate some thought. Hope the formatting works well. Please rate/comment
Any questions, let me know. <p>

Something like this had been posted before in an analysis, but the issue with this set is that it neither sets up entry hazards nor threatens to do major damage to the opposing team.

Opponents such as Aerodactyl and Azelf get their hazards up and then suicide, fulfilling their mission.

Against everything else, they will usually put up hazards first (fulfilling their primary goal), making it difficult for you to decide between Counter or attacking on turn 1. From there, they can attack you to cripple you for the rest of the match, or switch to a counter, which you will be hard-pressed to threaten with your weak coverage and unboosted attack.

Either way, Tyranitar becomes dead weight on the team and your opponent has early hazards up.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm wondering what is this thread doing in OU instead of being in Quality Control... Can a Mod please take care of this? Thanks.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
IIRC, we had a similar set on-site a few months back, but it got removed due to its overall inefficiency. What has been proposed here doesn´t have Stealth Rock as one of the four moves to use, and it either looks like a great utility Pokemon outside of the lead position.
I have to reject this.

QC REJECTED (2/3)

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
IIRC, we had a similar set on-site a few months back, but it got removed due to its overall inefficiency. What has been proposed here doesn´t have Stealth Rock as one of the four moves to use, and it either looks like a great utility Pokemon outside of the lead position.
I have to reject this.

QC REJECTED (3/3)

yeah this set used to be on site before QC took it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)