Raichu (Update)

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm doing a complete revamp... The current analysis is too outdated.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/raichu

[Overview]

<p>Raichu's respectable Speed, decent offensive stats, and good movepool make him a dangerous sweeper. Access to both Encore and Nasty Plot differentiates Raichu from other specially-oriented sweepers Nasty Plot Mismagius and Nasty Plot Toxicroak. Unfortunately, his frailty and lack of useful resistances mean that it is relatively hard to switch Raichu into battle. With that said, if a quick Encore user who also poses as a powerful offensive threat is needed, then Raichu is a great choice.</p>

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Encore / Focus Blast
item: Life Orb
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Nasty Plot boosts Raichu's modest Special Attack to incredible levels, giving him an opportunity to sweep. Thunderbolt is Raichu's STAB move of choice and OHKOes Milotic and Slowking after a Nasty Plot boost. Hidden Power Ice provides pseudo-BoltBeam coverage and allows Raichu to hit Ground- and Grass-types for super effective damage. Encore gives Raichu a much better chance to set up a Nasty Plot, but Focus Blast may be used to get past certain defensive Pokemon, including Registeel, Clefable, and Steelix.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice provide nearly perfect neutral coverage (only resisted by Lanturn and Shedinja in UU), sometimes that isn’t enough for a sweep. Focus Blast can help Raichu break through teams since it scores super effective hits on a number of key targets, as shown in the following damage calculations:</p>

<ul class=+2 LO Focus Blast Damage Calculations >
<li>vs 252/156+ Registeel: 83.5% - 98.4%</li>
<li>vs 252/252+ Clefable: 103.6% - 121.8%</li>
<li>vs 0/252+ Chansey: 57.4% - 67.7%</li>
<li>vs 252/252+ Steelix: 140.7% - 165.5%</li>
</ul>

<p>Although Nasty Plot Raichu is incredibly powerful, he still has trouble with some Pokemon depending on which moves he carries. Chansey is a good counter to Raichu, as she can cripple Raichu with Thunder Wave or Toxic; however, if Raichu carries Focus Blast, he can 2HKO Chansey. Raichu also has difficulty getting past Registeel without Focus Blast. Dugtrio is capable of trapping and removing the aforementioned threats with ease, giving non-Focus Blast Raichu an easier time sweeping. Dugtrio is also an excellent check to Raichu, as he can switch into 3 out of 4 of Raichu's moves with ease and OHKO with Earthquake. Houndoom with Sucker Punch can lure and KO Dugtrio, as can Ground-weak Pokemon who utilize Substitute. Good Dugtrio users might not fall into these traps, however, so any player using Raichu should be wary of signs that the opponent might have Dugtrio, such as the presence of Scyther or Swellow.</p>

<p>Raichu will be hard-pressed to switch into any attack with his subpar defenses. For example, bulky Water-types will 2HKO Raichu with Surf. Instead, switching into predicted non-damaging moves and using Encore is more reliable. For example, Donphan using Stealth Rock, Toxicroak using Swords Dance or Sucker Punch, and even Chansey using Wish are all opportunities Raichu can use to set up a Nasty Plot. After Raichu has Encored his foe into uselessly repeating a move, he can set up a Nasty Plot on the switch or simply attack with Thunderbolt or Hidden Power Ice to scout.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Raichu appreciates Stealth Rock and Spikes support to turn some 2HKOs, such as those against Registeel and Specially Defensive Venusaur, into OHKOs. Claydol can use Stealth Rock and is also immune to Ground-type moves. Omastar is effective at laying down both Stealth Rock and Spikes. He can also set up Toxic Spikes, which give Raichu an easier time beating Chansey.</p>

<p>Dugtrio is effective at removing both Chansey and Registeel. While Rhyperior and Torterra cannot trap Registeel and Chansey, they can use the two as setup fodder. Strong Fighting-types like Hariyama and Hitmonlee are capable of switching into Chansey and threatening her with their powerful STAB moves. Venusaur can be used to counter Lanturn and Quagsire, who completely wall Raichu.</p>

<p>Dugtrio is a great check to Raichu, but it is impossible to outright counter Dugtrio due to his ability, Arena Trap. Mixed Houndoom is an effective partner because he can lure out and OHKO Dugtrio with Sucker Punch. However, some Dugtrio carry Substitute, which renders Sucker Punch ineffective. Rock Polish Torterra is a good partner because he can set up on Dugtrio if Dugtrio manages to revenge kill Raichu.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Raichu can use a moveset consisting of Substitute, Encore, Focus Punch, and Volt Tackle with Leftovers to get around his usual counters, such as Clefable and Chansey. Unfortunately, that set is easily walled by bulky Grass- and Ground-types. A specialized support set with Encore and Wish can be used, but Clefable is usually a better choice with her superior defenses and her ability, Magic Guard.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Chansey is as an excellent counter to Raichu due to her phenomenal HP and high Special Defense. Chansey can cripple Raichu with Thunder Wave or Toxic, or simply wear him down with Seismic Toss. She needs to be wary of a Nasty Plot-boosted Focus Blast, however, which will 2HKO. Lanturn and Quagsire are both immune to Thunderbolt and can easily survive most of Raichu's coverage moves and cripple him with Thunder Wave and Earthquake, respectively. Quagsire without Special Defense investment should be wary of a Nasty Plot-boosted Focus Blast, however, as it can OHKO him. Registeel and Steelix are excellent counters to Raichu without Focus Blast. Priority moves from Pokemon like Hitmontop and Arcanine take out Raichu easily due to his frailty. Finally, Dugtrio is a top-notch check to Raichu, since he is able to trap Raichu and OHKO with Earthquake.</p>

Before I test this...
evs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe / 8 SpD
You need to explain these for obvious reasons; you don't randomly throw EVs in HP and SpD...

Tested. It goes from being absolutely horrible to being quite excellent after a Nasty Plot. Like if you don't set up NP you are using a useless Pokemon. I couldn't really get many chances to set up Nasty Plot without using Encore. I think the set should look like this:

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot Attacker
move 3: Hidden Power Ice / Focus Blast
move 4: Encore
evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD

And you can mention NP + 3 Attacks in set comments. I just really think the most important thing for this set to do is set up a Nasty Plot.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Before I test this...
You need to explain these for obvious reasons; you don't randomly throw EVs in HP and SpD...

Tested. It goes from being absolutely horrible to being quite excellent after a Nasty Plot. Like if you don't set up NP you are using a useless Pokemon. I couldn't really get many chances to set up Nasty Plot without using Encore. I think the set should look like this:

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot Attacker
move 3: Hidden Power Ice / Focus Blast
move 4: Encore
evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD

And you can mention NP + 3 Attacks in set comments. I just really think the most important thing for this set to do is set up a Nasty Plot.

The EV's allow it to outspeed positive base 95's. (I reckon since base 100's are rare in UU there's really no need) HP EV's allow it to attack 11 times as opposed to 10 and the rest are thrown into special defense.

Truthfully it doesn't do much before a boost, but STAB thunderbolt is never useless. Especially if you want a good check to Moltres (or if you want to badly damage bulky waters) Alright, I'll change set comments.

The EV's allow it to outspeed positive base 95's. (I reckon since base 100's are rare in UU there's really no need) HP EV's allow it to attack 11 times as opposed to 10 and the rest are thrown into special defense.

Truthfully it doesn't do much before a boost, but STAB thunderbolt is never useless. Especially if you want a good check to Moltres (or if you want to badly damage bulky waters) Alright, I'll change set comments.
Why not just use 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe?

You gain nothing by removing those EVs except failing to outspeed other base 100s like Ninetails.

And I realized that Raichu's Thunderbolt was pretty useless when it did 56% to a min/min Kangaskan...

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Why not just use 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe?

You gain nothing by removing those EVs except failing to outspeed other base 100s like Ninetails.

And I realized that Raichu's Thunderbolt was pretty useless when it did 56% to a min/min Kangaskan...
Ah good point. I'll change the EV spread.
Okay, while I admit Thunderbolt coming of a SpA of 90 isn't that powerful it's still better than nothing. You still hurt what you need too (like Moltres and water types)

I mean if you compare it too... say Toxicroak it's even weaker due to the lower SpA. Of course It's a clear given that Toxicroak is better overall, but if you are faulting Raichu for it's power you can take a look at weaker threats.

STAB with Thunderbolt is really useful in this metagame.

I think in the counters section you should add Hitmontop. A combo of Fake out(46.6% - 55%) + Mach Punch(69.8% - 82.4%) will take out Raichu, but at the risk of Hitmontop being paralyzed from static.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Before I test this...
Quote:
evs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe / 8 SpD
I think I can explain it here. 32 SpA allow Raichu to have an HP stat of 269 (A Life Orb number), which takes the least amount of recoil from Life Orb. 216 Spe allows him to outspeed Base 95s, and the 8 SpD EVs can technically go anywhere, which PK has decided to put into SpD. I mean, it's not THAT important, but it's just something cool to do, but it is better slightly (Base 100s aren't that common in UU anyway).

I think I can explain it here. 32 SpA allow Raichu to have an HP stat of 269 (A Life Orb number), which takes the least amount of recoil from Life Orb. 216 Spe allows him to outspeed Base 95s, and the 8 SpD EVs can technically go anywhere, which PK has decided to put into SpD. I mean, it's not THAT important, but it's just something cool to do, but it is better slightly (Base 100s aren't that common in UU anyway).
None of that matters. Generally 252/252 are better spreads unless there is some serious benefit to lowering the Speed. And I know base 100s aren't that common, but this isn't outweighed by the fact that it takes less damage from Life Orb. It still attacks 11 times.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
None of that matters. Generally 252/252 are better spreads unless there is some serious benefit to lowering the Speed. And I know base 100s aren't that common, but this isn't outweighed by the fact that it takes less damage from Life Orb. It still attacks 11 times.
Fair enough. Now I've got a question, should I wait for the QC stamps before starting the write up (i'm about 1/4th done) or should i just finish it? There's a chance the analysis may well be rejected by QC so I guess I should careful.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Decent set, pretty good writeup PK. How about adding in MixDoom to the teammates list?It effectively lures in and KOs Duggy, and Pursuits fleeing Grass types, making Raichu's job easier.

Fair enough. Now I've got a question, should I wait for the QC stamps before starting the write up (i'm about 1/4th done) or should i just finish it? There's a chance the analysis may well be rejected by QC so I guess I should careful.
I'm fairly confident that this will be accepted but I'd wait.

Also as promised:

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You should clarify whether you're updating the whole Raichu analysis or just the NP set, and if this is a full update so you're removing the other sets make it clear in the OP.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Ah sorry. I was thinking of mainly focusing on the NP set, but there are still a couple of other sets that can use a revamp. I guess I will work on them too.
(Subpunch and Pure Encore support)

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Honestly, here I think NP is Raichu's only viable set in UU. Subpunch is just too... weak. (It's walled way to easily, and if I DO run SpA why wouldn't I just go special)
haven't tested the pure support set yet though.

Honestly, there I think NP is Raichu's only viable set in UU. Subpunch is just too... weak. (It's walled way to easily, and if I DO run SpA why wouldn't I just go special)
haven't tested the pure support set yet though.
Completely agree here, just wanted to say that the NP set really is excellent, if only because of encore. I agree with the 252/252 spread, since it outspeed random things trying to outspeed base 95s.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Yeah so the subpunch set is absolutely isn't that good for Raichu. It lets you beat down Chansey, but it's worse against basically anything else.

I've posted a new support set that's been pretty useful for me however. It's not even outclassed by Lopunny/Jumpluff due to Raichu's access to wish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)