The Late Night Tournament - Season 3 [Won by reyscarface]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello, friends! The Late Night Tournament is back, and better than ever before!

Season 3 Intro:

• With the weekly smogon tours coming to a close, another tournament series will be grabbing the reins. It may not have the prestige of the Smogon Tour, but what it lacks in that area it makes up for with fun and innovation.

• Some players may still remember the humble beginnings of this tournament series as a 16 man, (supposedly) nightly affair hastily organized on shoddybattle. The idea was simple - a tournament with crazy, arbitrary rules decided by me which was fun while having little competitive impact. After the reasonable success of the first season (now officially season "zero"), I decided that it would be appropriate to move the tournament to Smogon. Since then it has slowly gained popularity as a fun alternative to standard play in the Smogon Tour's offseasons. Last season, RB Golbat took over most of the tournament's responsibilities when my free time was cut short, but this season I have more free time and should be able to host frequently (though I would still appreciate some help from the usual assortment of shoddy battle mods).

• This new season will feature a blend of exciting new themes with the greatest themes from last season. I changed the times last season to make them more playable, but still maintained the tournaments as a series that actually took place at night. After a ridiculous amount of badgering from US East and European players, I have decided to give up on having the name make sense and just make the times more convenient. It is extremely likely that there will be two weekend tournaments, one for Americans + Australians, and one for Americans + Europeans.

• I have updated the old LNT site with info from last season, as well as some possible new themes, in case anyone wants to take a look.

Netbattle or no?

• Since the last season, we have seen a major change in the release of a mostly working and widely available simulator for past generations with both singles and doubles in Netbattle Supremacy. I and others have used NBS extensively in order to test for VGC matches, but I know that some people are shaky about using it. Therefore, this thread will also serve as a poll for whether or not NBS should be incorporated into the season. Keep in mind that there have been numerous complaints of downloading and installation issues, so I would encourage users to make sure they can actually use the program before voting. The download link can be found here. Note that I and many other users wound up getting the program to work simply by reinstalling several (like 5+) times. This is a voodoo solution if I've ever seen one, but if it works it works.

About the Tournament:
  • Each tournament will consist of standard matches with a theme, which provides a change in the rules of the game. Some of these changes will be minor, but most will have a large effect on gameplay, teambuilding, or both.
  • Tournament times are as follows:

• Monday: 8:00 pm PDT
  • Wednesday: 8:00pm PDT
  • Friday: 9:00 PDT

• The themes are ultimately decided by me. If you have a theme suggestion, feel free to tell me on IRC or Shoddy Battle. Honestly, suggestions posted in this thread will probably be ignored.
  • There will be small prizes available to the top finishers in the LNT finals. The grand prize is a custom title (oooo aaaaaah). The third place prize will probably be kicking Hector from Shoddy Battle. The second place prize has not yet been decided but it will probably have something to do with kicking Hector more times. (P.S. does Hector even play anymore? We can kick someone else if he doesn't).
  • It's a lot of fun!

Signing Up:

• Signups will be taken in this thread.
  • Signups will begin 25-30 minutes before the tournament starts.
  • The day's theme will likely be posted well ahead of time (at least a day in advance, usually two). It is likely that many of the old LNT's themes will be used again at some point.
  • Most tournaments will cap at 32 players. Some may go up to 64 if enough players sign up.
  • Signups are taken on a first come, first served basis. However, it is likely that we will need substitutes. Feel free to sign up as a substitute.
  • If you need to drop out for whatever reason, that's fine. Just be sure to actually tell the host unless you want to make me very angry. And this should be obvious, but do not sign up if you cannot play.

Playing:

• Be ready to play at the start of the tournament. If you do not have a team ready to go at the start, you will be subbed out. This is a live tournament, and it will not be delayed on account of a single person. This applies to substitutes as well - have a team ready to go.
  • Matches will be posted on the last page and in the second post of this thread. Start your match as soon as you can find your opponent.
  • The tournament will be hosted on the Smogon University Shoddy Battle server, but if both players agree to play their match on a different server, that is fine.
  • Do not scout your opponents. You can watch any match you like, but if a player asks you to leave then you must do so. Failure to comply with this rule will get you banned from future Late Night Tournaments.
  • Be sure to post the results of your match in this thread as soon as it finishes. Post even if I or another host was watching your match. Post even if you PM me on Shoddybattle or irc.
  • It is recommended that you save logs in order to avoid disputes.

Rules:

• Standard Smogon battling rules apply (sleep, freeze, species, soul dew, self ko, OHKO, and evasion clauses on, timer on) unless otherwise noted by that night's theme.
  • Have good sportsmanship. Things like spamming, scouting, and being obnoxious will earn you an automatic forfeit.
  • Even if you are playing in the Late Night Tournament, you must follow the rules of Shoddy Battle. If you are banned during the tournament or kicked during a match, you will lose.
Leaderboard and Points

• The leader-board is where we keep track of the players who progress the furthest in each tournament. The more games you win, the more points you get. Duh!
  • Points Breakdown
    • 4th/3rd: 1 Point
    • 2nd: 2 Points
    • 1st: 4 Points
  • At the end of the season we will have a Winner, a runner up and a 3rd place all of which get assorted prizes (TBD)
  • Click below for the current Leaderboard
Late Night Tournament - Season 3 Leaderboard

We Are the Machamp-Eons

• Standard OU Tournament with the following exception:
  • Your team must use: One Machamp and at least 2 Eevee evolutions
  • You also must be blaring Queen as you play the tournament, no exceptions!
Please feel free to post questions and comments in this thread.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well thats all fokes, Reyscarface is this Cycles Winner, congrats man, I'll try and set you up with that banner if you even want it.

Also, to all the people that bitched at me, I'm sorry but I have a life outside of this community and shit comes up for me a lot. Work and friends definitely comes before Pokemon. That's the way things roll and I tried to update this as much as possible. Please don't bitch at me for the work I and many others put into this just for a fun event. If you don't like it, you are more than welcome to not participate.

Also, the reason (that many people fail to understand apparently) that I'm ending LNT on a down note is that a ton of other Tournament projects are all going on and it wasn't fair to continue this. Had nothing been going on, I would have continued it throughout the summer and done playoffs, but my hands were tied.

Huge thanks to Rey and Undisputed for their help, thanks guys, glad I could count on you

See you next season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)