Move2: Thunderbolt/HP Fighting
Move3: Subsitute/Ice Beam
Move4: Recover
Item: Life Orb
Nature: Modest
Ability: Download
EVs: 16 HP / 240 SpA / 252 Spe

Why this deserves to be on-site:
-Max speed EVs allow Porygon2 to hit outrun minimum speed base 80s, Adamant Torterra, Modest Exeggutor, CB Jolly Aggron, and common variants of Miliotic
-Special Attack EVs allow Porygon2 to hit 336 Special Attack, insuring no stat points are wasted with Download boost. The Special Attack EVs also allow Porygon2 to 2HKO common variants of Uxie, OHKO utility Blastoise and Special Sweeping Moltres, and put a considerable dent in 248/0 Bold Milotic (79.4%~93.6%)
-Rest of EVs are dumped into HP to give Porygon2 more bulk
-Can switch in quite easily against physical walls or Pokemon with equal defenses to grant it a large power boost
-Has access to a reliable instant recovery move, something that many offensive Pokemon like Mismagius and Houndoom lack
-Has great coverage with BoltBeam and STAB, hitting everything in UU for neutral damage bar Magneton and Shedinja
-Subsitute protects you from status that would otherwise cripple Porygon2

Additional Comments:
-HP Fighting can be used over Thunderbolt to have an easier chance against Registeel since it has a decent chance to 2HKO after SR
-HP Grass can be used over Tri Attack if you wish to hit Lanturn harder, though STAB is generally preferred
-Discharge can be used over Thunderbolt for parahax. However, the power difference will
be noticeable
-Agility over Tri Attack will allow Porygon2 to be a decent late-game cleaner

Teammates and Counters:

-Pairs well with Mismagius and Uxie as they can switch into each other's weaknesses rather well
-Porygon2 can get rid of threats like Slowbro, Dugtrio, and Altaria to help Blaziken sweep
-Is stopped cold by special walls like Lanturn and Chansey
-Status cripples it horribly and Porygon2 is very stall weak

I would still use Trace as an ability as it is damn usefull.
Download has a chance of not raising you SpA at all making it unreliable.

I've used a set much like this but with Thunder Wave over Ice Beam, less Speed EVs, more bulk, and Trace. Trace lets you come in on stuff like Houndoom, Ninetales, Arcanine, Clefable, and rain/sun sweepers. It worked really well.

Basically, I think Trace should be slashed. This is an excellent set though and I recommend QC to test it - P2 pulls the "bulky attacker" thing off really well.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wouldn't say running max speed doesn't outspeed anything significant - with 252 EVs you outrun Jolly Aggron, Adamant Torterra and Modest Exeggutor. All three are significant offensive threats, in particular Aggron who otherwise would have an easy switch in on Tri Attack / Ice Beam / Recover. Calcs:

Jolly 252 Atk CB Head Smash vs 88 HP Porygon2: 107.2 - 126.1%

This is what Aggron does to the current spread. However, if you have max speed:

+1 240 SpA LO Thunderbolt vs 4 HP Aggron: 101.4 - 119.6%

I'd say it's definitely worth running max speed to be able to OHKO the Aggron that would otherwise OHKO you. You are also far more likely to outspeed the speed creeping defensive Milotic masses.

Would HP Fighting be a viable choice over Thunderbolt? If you manage to get the Download boost, you are looking at a good chance to 2HKO 252/176+ Registeel with HP Fighting after SR. Also, you don't really need Thunderbolt for Milotic, since +1 Tri Attack is doing 50.3 - 59.4% to Bold variants.

Also, your link goes to Lanturn's page :P.

EDIT: to the people suggesting Trace, a lot of p2's sweeping potential requires it to have its +1 boost. I've tried Trace in UU before and I've never been too impressed with it tbh, and Download is such a great ability if you can use it right that it turns p2 into a completely different offensive force.

breh

強いだね
I apologize, but what nature is P2? I'm assuming Modest...

Anyway, would HP fighting and Shadow Ball work in place of boltbeam? While they are less powerful than boltbeam, they have absolutely perfect coverage (but more importantly) hit everything SE that Tri Attack doesn't.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i really like this thing it hits like a fucking brick. i do sometimes forgo recover for agility because with the speed you can add a little bit more bulk and tear through teams before going down most of the time. i do notice there's not an agility set on-site and i was wondering if this goes on-site what to do with the agility set i.e. should a new set be made.

but definitely quite the beast either way.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I would mention in AC that this thing makes an amazing Trick Room sweeper with the EVs that are invested in Speed put into HP and either Recover or Tri Attack replaced with Trick Room. I don't like the one that's on-site right now as it doesn't have any mention of Download, (which is better for a Trick Room sweeper), and P2 hits amazingly hard with LO and 252 SpA instead of Leftovers and 136 SpA. Plus the set comments are horribly written and brief. The only things P2 can't beat under Trick Room in UU with this set are Registeel, Slowking, Chansey, and priority users (especially Hitmontop). Otherwise, it just completely wrecks shit, and has a little more survivability.

And really, bumping after a day?

I've been testing this and like Jabba suggested, Agility is incredible useful. I would mention that in AC at least.

I really think Agility plays differently and would warrant its own set. A Pory2 with Agility seems like it would function as a late game cleaner whereas this is a bulky tank who takes hits and hits back hard. So ya, in conclusion I think Agility should be it's own set.

I really think Agility plays differently and would warrant its own set. A Pory2 with Agility seems like it would function as a late game cleaner whereas this is a bulky tank who takes hits and hits back hard. So ya, in conclusion I think Agility should be it's own set.
How to hell is this more of a bulky tank with a Modest nature and 16 HP / 240 SpA / 252 Spe and Life Orb?

Im pretty sure the name says Tank... Anyways, this is a tank because it has recover to heal shit off as opposed to an agility cleaner which is made to come in, agility up, and hit shit hard. this is made to come in on things it can tank, hit it hard, and recover off the health for later in the game. one move can make a huge difference in how a set is played.

The moveset I tested was Agility / Recover / Thunderbolt/ Ice Beam, all else was the same as this one.

This is a good set, and I'm interested in it, so I'll test it out. I'm agreeing with those who say that Agility should have its own set, as this set is great on its own, and an Agility set will probably have some differences from this set.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Holy crap this is a cool set. Being able to outrun up to Jolly Aggron with max Spe is awesome and it hits like a truck.

The only thing I can suggest is Substitute on this somewhere. I'm not a big of Ice Beam; I know it hits Venusaur, but Tri Attack ohkos 4/0 variants a lot of the time anyway, and you outrun defensive variants. If you slash in Substitute with Ice Beam you minimize prediction and evade Thunderwave and Toxic and things; this lets you hit Registeel with HP Fighting twice without worrying about getting paralyzed or double-switched on. Sub + LO also isn't that bad when you have instant recovery.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I used this a lot today and I am mega impressed. The single hardest thing about it is bringing it in on a Pokemon that has higher Def than SpD so you get your Download boost... everything else is like clockwork :).

Just a couple of (mostly pedantic) technical changes I'd suggest - first, I'd change the name from 'Life Orb Tank' to simply 'Offensive'. I feel Tank implies it is EVed in bulk, and while Porygon2 is naturally very bulky, that's not really true here. Case in point, Milotic's 3 attack + recover max SpA max Spe set is called Offensive, while the other set which balances offense and defense with a LO attached is called the Life Orb Tank.

Like FlareBlitz suggested, I would slash Substitute in before Ice Beam, to make it look like this:

move1: Tri Attack
move2: Recover
move3: Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Fighting
move4: Substitute / Ice Beam

Ice Beam actually provides very little coverage for p2, basically just Rotom, Rhyperior, and to a lesser extent Steelix. Everything else that Ice Beam hits SE takes a bucketload from Tri Attack. Also, this kind of clarifies the fact that you should run either Tri Attack + Tbolt + Sub / Ice Beam, or Tri Attack + HP Fight + Ice Beam - never Tri Attack + HP Fighting + Sub, obviously.

In your analysis, I would maybe talk more about coming in to get the Download boost, since a major part of the set's effectiveness hinges on that. Remember, if the foes defenses are equal, then you will still get your boost in SpA. I've been tending to use Uxie, Weezing, Donphan, Slowbro, Omastar, Torterra and the like to get my boost, since some of the more common stuff like Milotic/Venusaur is unhelpful.

Overall, kudos for bringing up a really nifty set for writeup :).

Thanks for the suggestions people. Porygon2 has always been such a cool duck.

Oh and could a mod change the name of this set to Porygon2 (Offensive Duck)?

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah, the set LR outlined is basically what I had in mind. I got a chance to test this a bit more and I'm pretty happy with it. Really the only other thing I can think of is mentioning Thunder Wave in AC. This set has serious 4MSS already, but if someone is willing to forgo coverage for crippling checks on offensive teams, I can see that being a viable choice.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
One thing I've been trying, not so much in UU but in OU Trick Room, is Charge Beam. This is a decent alternative for Thunderbolt since it has a good chance of boosting whatever other attacks you're using like HP Fight or Ice Beam. However, the one reason I would think not to use Charge Beam is that you're taking recoil and using a weaker attack that does not guarantee a boost.

As for abilities, I'm a fan of Trace in OU to annoy Gyarados and ScarfTran, but Download will probably be the better option as long as you can send it in on the right Pokés.

Im surprised noone thought of this set before because a similar set is number 1 on the RSE analysis of Porygon 2....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)