Lead Gardevoir OU

Whilst testing out various Pokemon in a 2 Pokemon lead combination I created my own moveset for a Gardevoir. Below is the info you need to know.
Nature: Timid
EV's:
-HP: 172
-Sp.A: 84
-Spe: 252
Item: Choice Scarf
Moveset:
-Trick
-Will O Wisp
- Psychic/Thunderbolt
- HP Fire

The point of the set is to cripple certain leads, for example Swampert, Bronzong, Hippodon, and other slow leads. After the Trick Will o Wisp on the switch to spread some status. The attacks provide stab, and a OHKO on Scizor, who would expect a switch so wont expect the KO with HP Fire.
The one thing I see as a weakness to this set is the fact that given the EV's i've been testing is that Psychic won't do that much and because of Psychic it lacks coverage in attacks. Thats why Thunderbolt is a viable option aswell. I'm open to suggestions to edit the set and would appreciate some additional testing.

Pros:
* Potentially crippling Trick + Will O Wisp combination
* Generally higher bulk than other pure Psychic Types
* Ability can provide game-breaking oppurtunities, eg. gaining Levitate, Water Absorb, Flash Fire etc. to enhance bulkyness, power up or hamper opponent further
* Can KO Scizor with ease as most will expect a switch out instead of Hidden Power Fire
* Unexpected
* A wide variety of offensive moves to partner HP Fire
* Forces switches
Cons:
* Lack of coverage when Psychic used
* Generally walled by Dark Types
* Physically weak
Team Mates:
* Gliscor for taking physical hits and setting up Rocks

Counters:
*Faster Taunt users, Status user.
* Physical sweepers (can be overcome with Will O Wisp)
* Pursuit user's if I switch early

Hmm, this is outclassed by Azelf leads imo.
Who doesn't get Will-o-wisp but at least gets Stealth Rock up.

What set's it apart from azelf is greater bulk, access to Will O wisp and the ability of Trace, which could provide recovery/immunity/power increase upon switching in.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not only is it not formatted correctly, but it's a bad Uxie. Worse in every way except Special Attack (which isn't really doing a whole lot for it unfortunately), and while it does have WoW, this doesn't do anything notable for it, and it can't set up SR. It doesn't beat any leads, and it doesn't even really do anything interesting.

This gets about as big a no from me as I can give.

Don't want to sound aggressive with this, but no one can claim it doesn't do something or other unless its tested alot. For me it's only struggled against other scarf users, and even then I can switch for free for it to be used mid game

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Again, tell me what makes this in even the same realm of usefulness as Uxie? It can't SR, it can't beat ANY opposing leads, it can just be vaguely annoying with Trick.

Also, don't tell me what I can or can't do. QC exists for a reason, you know?

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You don't need a test to prove that Will-o-wisp doesn't suddenly make Gardevoir a good lead. Think: If you want to burn something, you have to switch out right away, if you want to Trick you lose your Choice item and then you don't really have any utility mid game.

Something worth noting: This set is basically "pure outclassed" by any Rotom. In fact, Trick - willowisp - thunderbolt - (fire move) can be done better by rotom in every single way except a little less special attack in exchange for a better stab

When using Thunderbolt after the trick if it can 2HKO a reasonable portion of pokemon neautral to it. It's ability can give it much more of an advantage than levitate, it's faster, with this spread, Will O Wisp makes up for lacklustre defence, can deal with Scizor easily, on the whole it can do offense, which Uxie CAN NOT do whilst still being relatively bulky.

cim

List those pokemon it 2HKOs please (ignoring that Rotom can do more damage with his)

It's ability depends on the opposing lead and I can't think of one that gives it a boost other than other Levitators.

Scizor can nearly OHKO with Bullet Punch, Rotom deals with it better

Rotom does offense all the time.

Pokemon It can 2HKO/OHKO that I have found so far (with it's offensive moves):
* Most Machamp
* Azelf
* Scizor
* Togekiss
* Jirachi
* Roserade
* Rotom
* Swampert (this is only sometimes)
* Metagross
* Offensive Zapdos
* Offensive Suicine
* Gyarados

Abilities which boost/support in someway:
* Flash Fire
* Download
* Water Absorb
* Natural Cure
* Motor Drive
* Volt Absorb
* Levitate
* Serene Grace (not as much so when using Psychic)

Will post some calculations was finished altering with the EV's

cim

I'm going to give your set the benefit of the doubt and assume Gardevoir can run all 5 attacks at once.

Flash Fire lead is Heatran which you can't really touch. Nothing leads with Download, Water Absorb, etc. Natural Cure is Roserade and I guess you can switch out and not be slept but then something else is slept too! Motor Drive isn't on any leads. Same with Volt Absorb. Levitate is on Rotom so it's moot for the discussion, and Serene Grace is very unlikely to come into play.

Machamp - Psychic never OHKOs, and it can Payback and Bullet Punch to beat you. You can Burn it and you're faster but then you have to immediately switch out or you would get killed by the second Payback. Rotom fares a lot better here.

Azelf - Thunderbolt doesn't guarantee the 2HKO, and it gets off its Rocks and goes boom and does everything it ever intended to do.

Scizor - Who leads with Scizor?

Togekiss - Even though Togekiss isn't a lead, Thunderbolt does 50% max so SR is needed for the 2HKO (which obviously doesn't matter in the lead position!)

Jirachi - Never 2HKOs

Roserade - yeah i guess you win with psychic

Rotom - Nope.

Swampert - Nope.

Metagross - Nope.

Offensive Zapdos - Nope.

Offensive Suicune - Not even guaranteed even though none of the above are leads

Gyarados - Shocker! It's an OHKO.

It is worth noting that Rotom is better for literally every Pokemon you just listed.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
This set literally has 0 good lead matchups outside of being annoying with Trick, and Trick annoyance does not a lead set make, sir. It's not even that good midgame, either, and its coverage is ridiculously bad. It can't attack, it can't wall, it can't anti-lead, it can't SR, and it sure as hell can't do anything worthy of a set on the analysis.

QC REJECTED (1/3)

For an antilead to work, it needs to be capable of either handling all enemy leads well, or completely shutting down a few troublesome leads. Machamp is an antilead that works well against every common OU lead except Hippowdon. Dragonite works similarly to Machamp, and both can come in during the midgame. Weavile is an example of an antilead that completely shuts down Azelf, and does ok against other leads thanks to Counter.

This Gardevoir doesn't shut anything down, or do well against a majority of leads, nor does it do anything midgame that Rotom can't.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
CIM and SDS have already said everything I wanted to say.

sorry, but this lead isn't really that great...thanks for posting the skeleton though!
QC REJECTED (2/3)

To one of the above comments, you say that none of the pokemon listed are leads, but that is the point. After the trick they will switch to something else, which is when I would use my offensive moves, and I assure you the 2HKO's I listed do happen, albiet only a small number depending on which move I choose to use. And this as a lead, in my experience atleast, DOES shut down the likes of Swampert, Hippodown, Dragonite as leads. This may just be me, but it does work.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
CIM and SDS have already said everything I wanted to say.

sorry, but this lead isn't really that great...thanks for posting the skeleton though!
QC REJECTED (2/3)
QC REJECTED (3/3)

There should be a sticky in QC that states if a pokemon learns trick don't propose it as a lead if it doenst have one in its analysis

To one of the above comments, you say that none of the pokemon listed are leads, but that is the point. After the trick they will switch to something else, which is when I would use my offensive moves, and I assure you the 2HKO's I listed do happen, albiet only a small number depending on which move I choose to use. And this as a lead, in my experience atleast, DOES shut down the likes of Swampert, Hippodown, Dragonite as leads. This may just be me, but it does work.
Beating 3 leads which are easily stopped otherwise does not a valid set make.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)