How to Train Your Tyranitar

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The Team Building Process

Well first i decided I wanted Tyranitar. I don't use Tyranitar very often on my teams, so I decided to try it.

I added Gengar as a revenge killer and Tyranitar partner.

I chose Colbur Berry Lead Azelf for my lead. I've had some success with it in the past and i decided to use it again

I needed a special sweeper, and I decided on a bulky sweeper like Togekiss. Nasty Plotter than can take stab hits, check.

Ah, the infamous combo, the SkarmBliss. I needed a physical wall spiker with lots of resistances and a great special wall with Toxic and Wishpassing abilities.

Fter rates from you guys and more testing, I have found the VapCor defensive core to beat out SkarmBliss. Also I'm having a much better time with Rotom-W as my revenge killer
A Closer Look

Azelf@Colbur Berry
Levitate
8 HP, 140 Atk, 144 SpD, 216 Spe
Jolly
-Taunt
-Stealth Rock
-U-Turn
-Explosion​

This Azelf has enough special defense to take a max SpA leaf storm from Roserade, Which is the strongest neutral special attack I have to take. This Azelf will not be KO'd by a Tyranitar pursuit or Machamp Payback and bullet punch. But it is able to set up stealth rock and then u-turn out. You can taunt slower leads and there is a great chance they will not kill it so I'm able to SR and then u-turn. I've had great success with this Azelf so I decided to bring it onto this team also.​

Tyranitar@Life Orb
Sand Stream
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Speed
Jolly
-Dragon Dance
-Rock Slide
-Crunch
-Earthquake​

This is one of the first times I've used Tyranitar and I love it. I switch into a choiced attack that I resist, then I use DD on the switch. This then gives me the power of choice scarf, a choice band, and i can switch moves. Rock slide is more accurate than stone edge and it can still OHKO Heatran and Gyarados. This Tyranitar seems to be working well on the team and he may earn a spot on my next one.​

Rotom-W@Choice Scarf
Levitate
252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Timid
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Will-o-Wisp
-Trick

This thing is also my first time using a Rotom forme, and I was pleasently surprised. As it may seem wierd to have trick and will-o-wisp on a choiced revenge killer, it is very smart. Tbolt and Sball give great coverage so while facing a Blissey or other wall, I can cripple it with a CS and then cripple it with WoW. This counters tons of pokes while it can sweep late game with tbolt. This is a great revenger.

Togekiss@Leftovers
Serene Grace
252 HP, 152 SpA, 104 Spe
Modest
-Nasty Plot
-Roost
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere​

This can come in on a double switch caused by Azelf exploding and set up nasty plot most of the time because it take a big hit to bring this thing down. Togekiss can remove Snorlax and Blissey with an Air slash (hopefully flinch) then an Aura Sphere. It can survive a Gengar thunderbolt and OHKO back with air slash. When an opponent tryes to outstall you, roost is invaluable to win. The thing Togekiss fears most is paralyze but can still function decently with it on. I brought this one to the team because a bulky special sweeper is needed and nasty plot makes it very strong.​

Vapeoron@Leftovers
Water Absorb
188 HP, 252 Def, 68 SpA
Bold
-Wish
-Protect
-Surf
-HP Electric

This Vappy is amazing. I can switch in on most attacks and scare the user out. This thing kills Suicune, Starmie, Gyarados, and other water types. It also outspeeds and kills Machamp. This can also pass wish while actually doing some damage. Woohoo go Vappy!

Gliscor@Leftovers
Sand Veil
252 HP, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Jolly
-Taunt
-Roost
-Earthquake
-Toxic

This is the epitomy of stallbreaking. It outspeeds most walls and can taunt them and then toxic them and roost stall. It can also stop many sweepers because of this ability. Also, when Tyranitar has switched in, the sandstorm keeps him from being hit sometimes. Anything it can't hit with EQ it can usually outstall with toxic so this is hard to kill.

Well this is my edited team...thanx for the advice, and hopefully more to come. Every little bit helps! Come on SMOGON!!!​

This team fears Infernape as Gengar is your only check, and being choiced, it gets mauled by. Sub/Split Gengar is a threat to Skarm/Bliss and barring a miss from Focus Blast, will almost always take down a mon. If it keeps a sub up then you're in trouble.

If your Gengar gets taken down, you're weak to almost every set-up sweeper in the game, and as it stands SD Scizor and Lucario w/ Bullet Punch break through him as well. For this reason I recommend exchanging Gengar for Choice Scarf Rotom (any), which revenges almost exactly the same things, and resists/is immune to every priority move except big Aqua Jet. The set is 4 hp / 252 satk / 252 Spe *Thunderbolt *Shadow Ball *Will-o-Wisp *HP Fire/Ice/Trick.

Skarmbliss is a bit outdated. Tyranitar, Vaporeon, and Gliscor is a powerful defensive core that allows you wish support with great special and physical walls, but with a more offensive edge due to the higher attack stats and better coverage on both mons, while giving you a better check against Infernape. You lose spikes but overall the set is more reliable. Check it out :)

deinosaur

Thanks dude and I was thinking about that too. I also think the VappyCor might be good too cause Blissey was getting owned by Superpower Scizor. Plus spikes wasn't helping all that much anyway.

Hey, i will skip the part when i should say how they are threats.

Threats
SD Lucario, Infernape, Lack of rapid spinner, DD Dragonite, Breloom

Solutions
Blissey is dead weight for this team, it doesn't accomplish anything. SkarmBliss is good, but you must replace it since Infernape really runs through this team. Removing Blissey for Starmie is good enough. It counters Infernape and Dragonite. If you decided not to use him, you could use Magnezone > Blissey to counter Scizor, this creates the TarGarZone combo. Skarmory is deadweight for this team, if you followed my advice to replace Blissey, you can use Gliscor > Skarmory to counter Lucario, that trouble's your team alot. Also, you could use Fire Punch > Earthquake to counter Breloom when Tyranitar's sweeping. About the rapid spinner, i can't think of who to replace.

Good Luck

EDIT: Can i test your team?

deinosaur

Sure go ahead. Testing's okay with me and thanx for the advice.

What set should I use for Gliscor?

Hey I got your message, team seems solid but looking at the type chart I see some problems... You have 2 pursuit weak Pokemon and only one resist, one of which is Tyranitar who should not be switching into things like Scizor. Additionally you have no dragon resist, which is an issue because of things like Mixnite that this team hates. LO Jolteon absolutely sweeps this team clean if it has hp ice. So I think that a steel type is definitely in order, Lucario especially. The best way to fix this team's major pursuit problem is, in my opinion, to abuse it by replacing Togekiss with this guy, who instead of being weak to Tyranitar sets up in his choice-locked face. DDTar + Lucario historically work great together by eliminating each other's counters, or at least damaging them enough for the other.

Looking at what my comrades have suggested, I am actually appalled, I believe you have been the victim of some very bad rates.

@Technomancer: I totally agree with the Rotom suggestion, but "SkarmBliss is a bit outdated"? I tend to disagree, they are stall classics for a reason and are still good on offensive teams- I think actually SkarmBliss works great for this team, as it really helps your problem with LO special attackers like Jolteon, Starmie or Shaymin. You have Infernape reasonably covered by Rotom and can be revenged by Lucario w/ Extremespeed if it comes to that... Also azelf if it still is alive will work fine. If you run special defensive Skarmory (like you should), Gengar is covered well enough by this and Rotom, but I'd actually use Bullet punch as the fourth move on Lucario again, in case it comes to this.

@Azlanslayer, I actually cringed at your post. Let me suggest Starmie, but damn, I just don't know who you should use as a spinner... You really, honestly suggested he use the best spinner in OU and you couldn't think that maybe this could function as a spinner? Like, is he going to use Tentacruel or something? Regardless why does he need a spinner, because Togekiss is weak to SR? Not every team needs a spinner as a necessity, only if you're running something like Moltres or Yanmega or something.

Ok so in summary:

SD Lucario over Togekiss: to provide a better Tyranitar/pursuit switch in, to be a steel type, to help revenge some minour stuff, to abuse some spikes
SkarmBliss over Vaporeon + Gliscor: to help stop more threats, to lay down some spikes

That's all I can think of without totally overhauling your team, good luck and I hope this helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)