move2: Explosion
move3: Weather Ball
move4: Thunder / Shadow Ball
item: Damp Rock
nature: Naive
ability: Aftermath
evs: 196 Atk / 116 SpA / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Drifloon is one of the few Pokemon in LC who can set up Rain Dance, take advantage of the rain, and then explode. The EVs of the set are tailored for that purpose, maximizing Drifloon's offensive capabilities. 17 Speed allows Drifloon to outspeed all non-Scarf Snover and almost all non-Scarf Chinchou, two major hindrances to most dedicated rain teams; it can then proceed to OHKO them both with Explosion.</p>

<p>While it would be better to not waste Rain Dance turns attacking with Drifloon, this set's attacks allow it to take advantage of the rain itself when you don't want Drifloon to explode right away. Weather Ball becomes a very powerful move in the rain, while Thunder provides decent coverage alongside it, especially with Explosion in the mix. Shadow Ball can be used instead of Thunder to hit Dratini, Paras, Chinchou, and all the other Pokemon that resist the combination of Weather Ball and Thunder a bit harder. It's also super effective against Gastly and opposing Drifloon, which may come in to absorb Drifloon's Explosion. Be wary, though; unless you hit it on the switch, most Gastly will outspeed and OHKO Drifloon first.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A bulkier spread of 36 HP / 164 Def / 164 SpD / 116 Spe with a Bold nature can be run, allowing Drifloon to survive almost all attacks. This should allow Drifloon to set up Rain Dance multiple times during a match if necessary. With 15 Speed, it will still outspeed non-Scarf Snover, as well as most Dratini and Croagunk. Even with a Bold nature, Explosion will OHKO Munchlax and Chinchou, two big hinderances to rain teams.</p>

<p>This set is meant to be used on a team dedicated to abusing Rain Dance. That said, good partners for Drifloon are obviously Pokemon that can also take advantage of the rain. Powerful Swift Swim Pokemon such as Mantyke, Omanyte, and Kabuto will appreciate the removal of Snover, Chinchou, Croagunk, or Munchlax (all of whom are big threats to Rain Dance teams) via Explosion so they can have an easier time sweeping. Other Pokemon that can set up Rain Dance also make good partners. Both Bronzor and Voltorb are able to use Rain Dance effectively, and have great type synergy with Drifloon, making them excellent partners.</p>

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This looks like a very cool new set, I can see it being quite scary to face.

Is Oran/Unburden worth some mention or maybe a slash? Even though you lose three turns of rain, you'll get a fast explosion and often another attack against many opponents. Less of a team player, but more of a direct threat. Also, have you found that defensive investment essential or would an alternate more offensive EV spread be viable? I've always used 'floon as an offensive Pokemon and found that few can OHKO with minimal investment (it can survive Machop Ice Punch for example).

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Cool set, kind of a mini wash rotom for LC.

I agree that a more offensive spread with higher speed should at the very least be tested. Oran and Unburden should be mentioned, though they are less viable than aftermath. Outisde that, nothing to say.

I tested this a bit and kind of felt that an offensive spread is better...mainly with Speed and not - Atk with Explosion.

I would personally explode against all of those pokemon (especially snover, who likely would come in the turn Drifloon used Rain Dance), so then the team's actual aweepers would be able to abuse the rain.

That being said, I'm not against using Shadow Ball > Thunder.

I'm not sure whether or not going more offensive is "better". Like I said in the OP, the real intent of this set is just to throw up Rain Dance and then get in a swift swimmer (explode usually). Any offensive route you want to go down means that you'll probably be attacking more instead of just exploding, wasting rain turns Omanyte or Mantyke or whatever could be using...

If you guys say using a faster, more powerful spread is better, I guess I just want to know if you mean in the respect of Rain Dance -> Explode or Rain Dance -> attack some turns -> Explode, because the two are pretty different imo.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I say running max Speed (I don't think 252 works in MC, but something should) and slashing Shadow Ball beside Thunder is appropriate to make sure you get in the Rain Dance, and in case any Ghastly comes in to block Explosion.

The offensive variant is meant to set up and quickly explode...yours is just a slower and bulkier version of this. I don't get what the point of the bulk is if the only stats your going to be using are Speed and Attack.

OK I know this is hella old but I do have every intention of finishing it at some point. Now that I'm reading through this again for a second time, I'm starting to think that this would be better with more speed (and maybe more attack as well). Still not a fan of Unburden and Oran though.

idk I probably won't end up actually testing an offensive set, but heysup did I guess so I'll take his word for it that it's better. I do like the idea of a faster boom since that is kind of the point.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
crazy as a loon

GP CHECK ONE

remove
add

[SET]
name: Rain Dance
move1: Rain Dance
move2: Weather Ball
move3: Thunder / Shadow Ball
move4: Explosion

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Drifloon is one of the few Pokemon in LC who can set up Rain Dance, take advantage of the rain, and then explode. This set is mainly meant to set up Rain Dance for a team, and then switch out or use Explosion to allow another teammate Pokemon to come in for free. The EVs of the set reflect that are tailored for that purpose, maximizing Drifloon's offensive capabilities. With 17 Speed, Drifloon should be able to outspeed all non-Scarf Snover and almost all non-Scarf Chinchou, two major hindrances to most dedicated rain teams; it can then proceed to OHKO them both with Explosion.</p>

<p>While it would be better to not waste Rain Dance turns attacking with Drifloon, the attacks present allow it to take advantage of the rain itself in the situation where when you may not want don't want Drifloon to explode right away. Weather Ball becomes a very powerful move in the rain, and Thunder provides decent coverage alongside it, especially with Explosion in the mix. Shadow Ball can be used instead of Thunder to hit Dratini, Paras, Chinchou, and all the other Pokemon that resist the combination of Weather Ball and Thunder a bit harder. It's also super effective against Gastly and opposing Drifloon, who may come in to block your Explosion. Be wary though, as unless you hit it on the switch, most Gastly will outspeed and OHKO Drifloon first.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A bulkier spread of 36 HP / 164 Def / 164 SpD / 116 Spe with a Bold nature can be run, allowing Drifloon to survive almost all attacks. This should allow Drifloon to set up Rain Dance multiple times during a match should it need to if necessary. With 15 Speed, it will still outspeed non-Scarf Snover, as well as most Dratini and Croagunk. Even with a Bold nature, Explosion will still OHKO Munchlax and Chinchou.</p>

<p>This set is meant to be used on a team dedicated to abusing Rain Dance. That said, good partners for Drifloon are obviously Pokemon that can also take advantage of the rain. Powerful Swift Swim Pokemon like Mantyke, Omanyte, and Kabuto will appreciate the removal of Snover, Chinchou, Croagunk, or Munchlax (all of whom are big threats to Rain Dance teams) via Explosion so they can have an easier time sweeping. Other Pokemon that can set up Rain Dance also make good partners. Both Bronzor and Voltorb are able to use Rain Dance effectively and have great type synergy with Drifloon, making them great partners.</p>

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
GP CHECK 2/2

additions
removals
(comments)

[SET]
name: Rain Dance
move1: Rain Dance
move2: Explosion
move3: Weather Ball
move4: Thunder / Shadow Ball

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Drifloon is one of the few Pokemon in LC who can set up Rain Dance, take advantage of the rain, and then explode. This set is mainly meant to set up Rain Dance for a team, and then switch out or use Explosion to allow another teammate to come in for free. (you basically already say this exact same thing in the first sentence, so i would recommend removing the second sentence entirely) The EVs of the set are tailored for that purpose, maximizing Drifloon's offensive capabilities. With 17 Speed, Speed allows Drifloon should be able to outspeed all non-Scarf Snover and almost all non-Scarf Chinchou, two major hindrances to most dedicated rain teams; it can then proceed to OHKO them both with Explosion.</p>

<p>While it would be better to not waste Rain Dance turns attacking with Drifloon, the this set's attacks present allow it to take advantage of the rain itself when you don't want Drifloon to explode right away. Weather Ball becomes a very powerful move in the rain, and while Thunder provides decent coverage alongside it, especially with Explosion in the mix. Shadow Ball can be used instead of Thunder to hit Dratini, Paras, Chinchou, and all the other Pokemon that resist the combination of Weather Ball and Thunder a bit harder. It's also super effective against Gastly and opposing Drifloon, who which may come in to block your absorb Drifloon's Explosion. Be wary, though, though; unless you hit it on the switch, most Gastly will outspeed and OHKO Drifloon first.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A bulkier spread of 36 HP / 164 Def / 164 SpD / 116 Spe with a Bold nature can be run, allowing Drifloon to survive almost all attacks. This should allow Drifloon to set up Rain Dance multiple times during a match if necessary. With 15 Speed, it will still outspeed non-Scarf Snover, as well as most Dratini and Croagunk. Even with a Bold nature, Explosion will still OHKO Munchlax and Chinchou, two big hinderances to rain teams.</p>

<p>This set is meant to be used on a team dedicated to abusing Rain Dance. That said, good partners for Drifloon are obviously Pokemon that can also take advantage of the rain. Powerful Swift Swim Pokemon like such as Mantyke, Omanyte, and Kabuto will appreciate the removal of Snover, Chinchou, Croagunk, or Munchlax (all of whom are big threats to Rain Dance teams) via Explosion so they can have an easier time sweeping. Other Pokemon that can set up Rain Dance also make good partners. Both Bronzor and Voltorb are able to use Rain Dance effectively, and have great type synergy with Drifloon, making them great excellent partners.</p>

i <3 short analyses!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)