Roselia (Analysis)

i tested this with uragg and bluewind, uu players talked about it with me, decided this is best set.

Quality Control: 2/2
Grammar Check: 2/2

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/roselia

---

[Overview]
<p>Roselia's frail defenses and other weak stats are the two things that keep most people away from using it, but if you take a closer glance at its movepool, you will find that it has a interesting variety of moves that give it its own special niche in UU. In many cases, Roselia can be well worth the use.</p>

[SET]
name: Spikes
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Stun Spore
move 3: Synthesis / Leech Seed
move 4: Energy Ball
item: Leftovers
ability: Natural Cure
nature: Calm
evs: 240 HP / 208 SpD / 60 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>At first glance, Roselia seems like yet another inferior Grass-type in UU. However, it has some very unique moves that can be considerably more useful than what similar Pokemon have to offer. If your team is in need of a Pokemon that is able to set up Spikes and take on many defensive threats, Spikes Roselia may indeed be the Pokemon for you.</p>

<p>Roselia is one of two Grass-types with access to Spikes (the other being Cacturne) and has the typing and Special Defense necessary to set up Spikes on many Pokemon. Milotic, Registeel, Chansey, Rotom, and even some Venusaur (although it may require the -2 Special Attack drop from Leaf Storm first) can all be Spiked upon with ease. If Roselia's HP drops too much, Synthesis or Leech Seed can be used to restore health, while its ability, Natural Cure, allows it to switch out and heal itself of any status ailments. Stun Spore can be a huge boost for Roselia, especially with no other viable status moves available (Sleep Powder and Spikes are illegal together). Common switch-ins to it include Arcanine, Moltres, and Mismagius, all of which are extremely hindered and almost unusable after being paralyzed with Stun Spore. To prevent Roselia from being stopped completely by Taunt, Energy Ball is used in the last moveslot. Energy Ball also deals impressive damage to many common Rapid Spinners, including Donphan, Kabutops, and Blastoise.</p>

<p>Synthesis should be the preferred option over Leech Seed, as Synthesis gives Roselia a reliable recovery move that can't be blocked by immunities, missing, or Substitute. However, Leech Seed can force more switches, giving it more time to use Spikes. The decision ultimately comes down to how long you wish to keep Roselia alive. If its purpose on your team is to set up Spikes whenever possible and just sit as a filler, Leech Seed is probably the better option. However, if you want Roselia to be able to stay alive and be a decent answer to many Rapid Spinners as well as other special attackers, Synthesis is much better. The last attack should usually be Energy Ball to deal with Rapid Spinners, but Sludge Bomb is the stronger STAB attack. However, Sludge Bomb has many problems as an attacking move, allowing Pokemon such as Rhyperior to set up easily on it and giving Milotic an easier time surviving and eventually damaging Roselia.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Shed Shell can be a somewhat useful item, as Roselia is dreadfully weak to Dugtrio. If your team relies on Spikes, Shed Shell may be a good item to use, if only to ensure Roselia's safety. 60 Speed EVs allow it to outspeed Hitmontop, which sometimes might allow Roselia to finish Hitmontop off with Energy Ball before it can Rapid Spin your Spikes away. You could add to bulk and make Roselia’s EV spread 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe, but there is no reason to not try and take advantage of outspeeding a Rapid Spinner. Roselia could run 96 Speed EVs to outspeed Jolly 252 Speed Rhyperior, although the current spread will outspeed Adamant 252 Speed Rhyperior. The choice depends entirely on how much bulk you are willing to sacrifice. Rest can be used over either of the healing moves, giving Roselia full recovery at very low cost due to Natural Cure's status healing ability. However, it forces Roselia to switch out and back in to be useful again, giving the opponent free turns as well.</p>

<p>As with any Spiker, offensive teams truly benefit from Roselia’s Spikes, as they turn many 2HKOs into OHKOs. It can also help cover many holes found in offensive teams, such as weaknesses to Registeel, Chansey, and even Rotom. However, Roselia is not much of an attacker and should not be used to keep the momentum rolling; instead, use it set up more layers of Spikes to ensure that other sweepers can clean up. Stall teams appreciate Roselia very much, as it provides a valuable check to many Pokemon that threaten stall-based Pokemon. A partner such as Milotic to take Fire-type attacks without much harm can help Roselia obtain extra turns for Spiking.</p>

<p>Roselia's major issue is its general lack of stats. Being a pre-evolution, it unfortunately doesn't have the Speed, Special Attack, or defenses to defend against many powerful Pokemon found in UU. Every Fire-type and any strong physical attacker can easily OHKO Roselia. It must also beware of Hitmontop that carry Foresight - if Roselia switches to a Ghost-type to try and block Rapid Spin, Hitmontop can use Foresight to KO them, while if Roselia stays in, it risks being taken out by Hitmontop due to its low bulk.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive Spiker
move 1: Toxic Spikes / Spikes
move 2: Sleep Powder / Synthesis
move 3: Leaf Storm / Energy Ball
move 4: Sludge Bomb
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 120 SpA / 136 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set is a much more offensive version of Roselia that is still designed to set up entry hazards (although Toxic Spikes is the preferred entry hazard in this set). Egg move limitations prevent Roselia from running certain move combinations, meaning that which form of Spikes you want will influence the rest of the moveset.</p>

<p>Sleep Powder and Leaf Storm, both of which are illegal with Spikes and are meant to be used with Toxic Spikes, turn Roselia into a fierce weapon that can force switches, giving it even more chances to use Toxic Spikes. Leaf Storm has 210 BP after factoring in STAB, making Roselia a threat no matter how low its Special Attack is.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The Speed EVs allow Roselia to outspeed almost every variant of Milotic except Life Orb versions. Thanks to the Special Attack investment, Roselia can then 2HKO or OHKO Milotic, depending on entry hazards, its move (Energy Ball or Leaf Storm), and Milotic's defenses. 252 EVs in HP give Roselia survivability and the chance to still set up Spikes or Toxic Spikes against more defensive Pokemon.</p>

<p>This set can be transitioned into a lead, putting slower Pokemon to sleep and then setting up Toxic Spikes early. Omastar, for example, can be put to sleep and then set up on or simply KOed. Focus Sash should be used over Leftovers in this case, protecting it from faster leads such as Moltres and putting them to sleep.

<p>Houndoom makes an excellent partner to Roselia, absorbing Fire-type attacks while also using Nasty Plot against sleeping opponents. As an added bonus, many of Houndoom's counters, such as Chansey, Milotic, and Blastoise, despise Toxic Spikes and Spikes. Dugtrio and Fire-types are useful for eliminating grounded Poison-types that absorb Toxic Spikes. Moltres can not only keep them at bay but also use Toxic Spikes to its advantage with a SubRoost set. An odd combination of Roselia and Venusaur can actually work well, despite the their redundant typings. Roselia will lure in the opponent’s Grass/Poison-type counter (usually reserved for Venusaur) and allows you to act accordingly. Afterwards, Venusaur can be brought in to set up Swords Dance or wreck opposing teams with Leaf Storm and Sludge Bomb.</p>

<p>Just as Venusaur can be used as an ally, it also is Roselia's great enemy, doing a lot of damage with Life Orb Sludge Bomb or even OHKOing with Swords Dance boosted Returns. Venusaur can also take Roselia's Leaf Storms with ease and absorb Toxic Spikes. In order for Roselia to excel, Venusaur's removal must be prioritized. Other Pokemon to watch out for are faster Fire-types and other Poison-types that can absorb Toxic Spikes and resist Roselia's two STAB attacks. Mismagius is a very dangerous threat, as it is able to Taunt or set up a Substitute on Roselia and then proceed to set up Nasty Plots or Calm Minds.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>Roselia is built around entry hazards, so Pokemon that can block entry hazards from being spun away or sweep with them are ideal. Mismagius, for example, makes the perfect partner, protecting Roselia's entry hazards from Rapid Spinning and then using them to her advantage with Nasty Plot. Rhyperior is a great partner to Roselia, setting up Stealth Rock and switching into Fire-types, while Roselia can come back in whenever a Grass-type or Water-type switches in.</p>

<p>Fire-types that can take out Venusaur are also very important. Moltres, Arcanine, and Houndoom make ideal partners, the latter two especially, as they can beat Dugtrio. Although Moltres can have more trouble with Dugtrio, it can be an invaluable partner with a SubRoost set, using Roselia's Toxic Spikes to stall while keeping Poison-types such as Venusaur at bay with Flamethrower or Fire Blast. Hail teams can be used effectively with Roselia, as its Toxic Spikes can help Walrein and Snover stall out the opponent, while also taking out Venusaur and Dugtrio with Blizzard.</p>

<p>Milotic and other Water-types are excellent partners to Roselia, protecting it from Fire-type attacks while also dealing with Pokemon such as Rhyperior and Aggron, two ferocious attackers in UU. Azumarill can be especially effective, killing most threats with Aqua Jet and having enough defense to still switch into Fire- and Water-type attacks with ease.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Every viable option for Roselia is mentioned in this analysis. The only moves with some use that are not given a mention are Cotton Spore and Aromatherapy. However, there is almost no need to temporarily lower an opponent's Speed with Cotton Spore when Stun Spore will permanently disable it, and Roselia cannot waste turns using Aromatherapy, especially when there are much more capable Pokemon that can use it.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Roselia's low defenses and average Speed give it a disadvantage against many Pokemon. Fire-types, Flying-types, and hard-hitting Pokemon in general can easily kill it. Pokemon that set up, such as Mismagius or Swords Dance Scyther, can also easily kill it and get free turns to set up. If you cannot stop Rapid Spin, then Roselia is almost a dead weight; entry hazards are the only thing giving it any sort of edge over Venusaur.</p>

I have a couple comments about this interesting set. I'm doubting Roselia's survivability, as its 50/45/80 defenses mean that it won't last too long, so I'm suggesting Sludge Bomb getting slashed into the third spot, because it has STAB and a decent chance of poisoning the opponent. It also runs off of Roselia's base 100 Special Attack stat, which you described as being "low". It's actually pretty good compared to many UU Pokemon (ties with Venusaur, which is a great Special attacker), and is awesome when compared to other pre-evolutions. Sorry about bolding it, but I had to get that point across. Also, I don't think many people would switch in Dugtrio against Roselia unless a) they have no other choice, b) Roselia just killed something, and they know that they can kill Roselia, or c) they're just plain crazy (I personally fall under B or C). Other than that, I'm interested in seeing what happens with this set. Good luck!

roselias defenses are pretty bad, which is why you basically only have the option of coming in on some special attackers, depending on moveset (like ice beam milotic is something id stay away from).

although it may have base 100 spA, you are investing nothing into it and only have a base 80 grass move to use with it, which is why im calling it low. dugtrio should not blindly switch in if energy ball is possibly coming, but if, for example, you have a venusaur on the field, it should be expected that rose won't be using eball.

i orignally ran sludge bomb, so im not sure whether to slash yet or just leave in AC. ill see if anyone else has input before making a final desicion on that.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
post about rhyperior being awesome cause it can draw in milotic like most of the time making setting up spikes much easier. roselias downfall is the short amount of opportunities it has on the field and you practically need partners to make use of its spiking ability. sr rhyperior is cool with it trust

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is this going to get a full update?? If so, you should at least mention Toxic Spikes in OC, along with Sleep Powder, which would then be legal.

I dunno, I generally prefer a max Speed variant, beating out min uxie and timid omastar etc.

Its Leaf Storm and Sludge Bomb also hurt. I see no harm in a Spikes / Sludge Bomb / Leaf Storm / Synthesis set. It gets OHKOed regardless, you may as well outspeed what you can and set up or KO it.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I would recommend the following EV spread: 252 HP/120 SpD/136 Spe Calm or 252 HP/120 SpA/136 Spe Modest. Both of these spreads outrun Milotic, which is absolutely invaluable for healing before it can fuck your shit up (assuming you were weakened by something before). The first spread takes special hits a lot better, while the second is capable of 2hkoing Milotic with Energy Ball (why not grass knot by the way) and ohkoing Moltres after SR with Sludge Bomb if you roll high or proc a poison. Really though, max HP and 136 Spe are really what are 100% required, and the rest can be allocated according to the user's wishes. I think the more specially defensive variant is strictly better at getting up spikes (for instance you don't die immediately to a Life Orb Milotic's Ice Beam), but the extra power from the Modest variant can be handy sometimes too.

i didn't orginally plan on it, but i could do a full analysis with toxic spikes/sleep powder set with max speed/max spa. is this ok with everyone?

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
A full analysis sounds great kd. Anyways, my only gripe with the set you posted is the adequate speed amount. The one suggested by Flare sounds interesting, as Roselia won't enjoy switching into Ice Beam too much; but again, many Milotic that run Ice Beam also have enough Speed to beat Torterra. For now I'm holding the stamp until you decide whether to write the whole analysis or just this set, but I can vouch for the latter's effectiveness.

I always used Rest over Leech Seed / Synthesis on this, just like I did when Roserade was UU, and it works in the same way. Spike up, Rest, spin away hazards they set up, repeat. It should at least be slashed.

I think Toxic Spikes should get a mention / slash in the first set. Spikes are generally more useful (And harder to remove) but Tspikes shouldn't be forgotten.

Also i agree with ToF on rest, outside of setting Spikes, Roselia cant do much so having a guaranteed Full HP recovery is nice despite the Sleep. Slash / mention is cool to me.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Why should I use this over Cacturne? All Roselia has is a slow Sleep Powder, 10 higher Speed (not saying much) and a Poison-typing (which isn't all that good). It has a niche, I guess (absorbing TS and putting up Spikes is cool, without being complete setup bait).

you answered it yourself: roselia has sleep powder or stun spore, higher speed for stuff like Milotic or Rhyperior, a resist to fighting and 4x resist to grass, and can absorb toxic spikes.

i added everything suggested, rest has mention in the first set (its in AC) and tspikes are in set 2. please QC

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
removals in red
additions in bold

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>At first glance, Roselia seems like yet another inferior Grass-type in UU. However, Roselia has some very unique moves that can be considerably more useful than what similar other Pokemon of the same typehave to offer. If your team is in need of a Pokemon that is able to set up Spikes and take on many defensive threats, Spikes Roselia may indeed be the Pokemon for you.</p>

<p>Roselia is one of two Grass-types with access to Spikes (the other being Cacturne) and has the typing and enough Special Defense necessary to be ableto set up Spikes on many Pokemon. Milotic, Registeel, Chansey, Rotom, and even some Venusaur (although Roselia may require the -2 Special Attack drop from Leaf Storm first) can all be Spiked upon with ease. If Roselia's HP drops too much, Synthesis or Leech Seed can be used to restore health, while the ability of Roselia’s ability, Natural Cure, allows it to switch out and heal itself of any status ailments. Stun Spore can be a huge boost for Roselia, especially with no other viable status moves available (Sleep Powder and Spikes are illegal together). Common switch-ins to Roselia include Arcanine, Moltres, and Mismagius, all of which are extremely hindered and almost unusable after being paralyzed with Stun Spore. To prevent Roselia from being stopped completely by Taunt, Energy Ball is used a useful attackin the last moveslot. Energy Ball also deals impressive damage to many common Rapid Spinners, including Donphan, Kabutops, and Blastoise.</p>

<p>Synthesis should be the preferred option over Leech Seed, as Synthesis gives Roselia a reliable recovery move engine, one that can't be blocked by immunities, missing, or Substitute. However, Leech Seed can force more switches, giving Roselia more time to use Spikes. The decision ultimately comes down on to how long you believe you wish to keep Roselia alive. If Roselia's purpose on your team will to be is to set up Spikes whenever possible and just sit as a filler, Leech Seed to finish off opponents is probably the better option. However, if you want Roselia to be able to stay alive and be a decent answer to many Rapid Spinners as well as other special attackers, Synthesis is much better. The last attack should usually be Energy Ball to deal with Rapid Spinners, but Sludge Bomb is the stronger STAB attack. However, Sludge Bomb has many problems as an attacking move, allowing Pokemon such as Rhyperior to set up easily on Roselia and giving Milotic an easier time surviving and eventually damaging Roselia.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Shed Shell can be a somewhat useful item, as Roselia is dreadfully weak to Dugtrio. If your team relies on Spikes, Shed Shell may be a good item to use, if only to ensure Roselia's safety. 60 Speed EVs allow Roselia to outspeed Hitmontop, which sometimes might allow Roselia to finish Hitmontop off with Energy Ball before it can Rapid Spin your Spikes away. You could add to bulk and make Roselia’s EV spread 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe, but there is no reason to not try and take advantage of outspeeding a Rapid Spinner. Roselia could run 96 Speed EVs to outspeed Jolly 252 Speed Rhyperior, although the current spread will outspeed Adamant 252 Speed Rhyperior. The choice depends entirely on how much bulk you are willing to sacrifice. Rest can be used over either of the healing moves, giving Roselia full recovery at very low cost due to Natural Cure's status healing ability. However, it forces Roselia to switch out and back in to be useful again, giving the opponent free turns as well.</p>

<p>As with any Spiker, offensive teams truly benefit from Roselia’s Spikes, as they turn many 2HKOs into OHKOs. Roselia can also help cover many holes found in offensive teams, such as weaknesses to Registeel, Chansey, and even Rotom. However, Roselia is not much of an attacker and should not be used to keep the momentum rolling; instead, use it to try and build set up more layers of Spikes lategame to ensure that other sweepers can clean up. Stall teams appreciate Roselia very much, as it provides a valuable check to many Pokemon found commonly in stall (This sentence doesn’t make any sense.). A partner such as Milotic to take Fire-type attacks without much harm can help Roselia obtain extra turns for Spiking.</p>

<p>Roselia's major issue is its general lack of stats. Being a pre-evolution, Roselia unfortunately doesn't have the Speed, Special Attack, or defenses to defend against many powerful Pokemon found in UU. Every Fire-type and any strong physical attacker can easily OHKO Roselia. Roselia also is a victim of taken care of by Hitmontop; Hitmontop can use Foresight in hopes of hitting the Ghost-type switch-in to block Rapid Spin, and, with Roselia's low Special Attack, does not have to worry much about Roselia staying in.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set is a much more offensive version of Roselia, that is still designed to set up entry hazards, (although Toxic Spikes is the preferred entry hazard in this set). Egg move limitations prevent Roselia from running any moveset it wants certain move combinations, meaning that which form of Spikes you want will influence the rest of the moveset.</p>

<p>Sleep Powder and Leaf Storm, both of which are illegal with Spikes and are meant to be used with Toxic Spikes, turn Roselia into a fierce weapon that can force switches, giving it even more chances to use Toxic Spikes. Leaf Storm has 210 BP after factoring in STAB, making Roselia a threat no matter how low its Special Attack is.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The Speed EVs allow Roselia to outspeed almost every variant of Milotic except Life Orb versions. Thanks to the Special Attack investment, Roselia can then 2HKO or OHKO Milotic, depending on entry hazards, its move (Energy Ball or Leaf Storm), and Milotic's defenses. 252 EVs in HP give Roselia survivability and the chance to still set up Spikes or Toxic Spikes against more defensive Pokemon.</p>

<p>This set can be transitioned into a lead, putting to sleep slower Pokemon to sleep and then setting up Toxic Spikes early. Omastar, for example, can be put right to sleep and then set up on or simply KOed. Focus Sash should be used over Leftovers in this case, protecting Roselia from faster leads such as Moltres and putting them to sleep.

<p>Houndoom makes an excellent partner to Roselia, absorbing Fire-type attacks while also using Nasty Plot against sleeping opponents. As an added bonus, many of Houndoom's counters, such as Chansey, Milotic, and Blastoise, despise Toxic Spikes and Spikes (Chansey, Milotic, Blastoise).Dugtrio and other Fire-types are useful for eliminating grounded Poison-types that absorb Toxic Spikes. Moltres can not only keep them at bay, but also use Toxic Spikes to its advantage with a SubRoost set. An odd combination of Roselia and Venusaur can actually work well, despite the redundancy of their redundant typings. Roselia will lure in the opponent’s Grass/Poison-type counter (usually reserved for Venusaur) and allows you to act accordingly. Afterwards, Venusaur can be brought in to set up Swords Dance or wreck opposing teams with Leaf Storm and Sludge Bomb.</p>

<p>Just as Venusaur can be used as an ally, it also is Roselia's great enemy, doing a lot of damage with Life Orb Sludge Bomb or even OHKOing with Swords Dance boosted Returns. Venusaur can also take Roselia's Leaf Storms with ease and absorb Toxic Spikes. In order for Roselia to excel, Venusaur's removal must be prioritized. Other Pokemon to watch out for are faster Fire-types and other Poison-types that can absorb Toxic Spikes and resist Roselia's two STAB attacks. Mismagius is a very dangerous threat, as it is able to Taunt or set up a Substitute on Roselia, and then proceed to set up Nasty Plots or Calm Minds.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>Roselia is built around entry hazards, and so Pokemon that can block entry hazards from being spun away or sweep with them are ideal. Mismagius, for example, makes the perfect partner, protecting Roselia's entry hazards from Rapid Spinning and then using them to her advantage with Nasty Plot. Rhyperior is a great partner to Roselia, setting up Stealth Rock and switching into Fire-types, while Roselia can come back in as well as switching back to Roselia whenever a Grass-type or Water-type switches in.</p>

<p>Fire-types that can take out Venusaur are also very important. Moltres, Arcanine, and Houndoom make ideal the partners, the latter two especially, as they can beat Dugtrio.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Every viable option for Roselia is mentioned in this analysis. The only moves with some use that are not given a mention are Cotton Spore and Aromatherapy. However, there is almost no need to temporarily lower an opponent's Speed with Cotton Spore when Stun Spore will permanently disable it, and Roselia cannot waste turns using Aromatherapy, especially when there are much more capable Pokemon that can use much more capable of using it.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Roselia's low defenses and average Speed give it a disadvantage against many Pokemon. Fire-types, Flying-types, and generally hard-hitting Pokemon in general can easily kill Roselia. Pokemon that set up, such as Mismagius or Swords Dance Scyther, can also easily kill it and get free turns to set up. If you cannot stop Rapid Spin, then Roselia is almost dead weight; entry hazards are the only thing giving it any sort of edge over using Venusaur.</p>

GP CHECK 1/2

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>At first glance, Roselia seems like yet another inferior Grass-type in UU. However, Roselia has some very unique moves that can be considerably more useful than what similar Pokemon have to offer. If your team is in need of a Pokemon that is able to set up Spikes and take on many defensive threats, Spikes Roselia may indeed be the Pokemon for you.</p>

<p>Roselia is one of two Grass-types with access to Spikes (the other being Cacturne) and has the typing and Special Defense necessary to set up Spikes on many Pokemon. Milotic, Registeel, Chansey, Rotom, and even some Venusaur (although Roselia may require the -2 Special Attack drop from Leaf Storm first) can all be Spiked upon with ease. If Roselia's HP drops too much, Synthesis or Leech Seed can be used to restore health, while Roselia’s ability, Natural Cure, allows it to switch out and heal itself of any status ailments. Stun Spore can be a huge boost for Roselia, especially with no other viable status moves available (Sleep Powder and Spikes are illegal together). Common switch-ins to Roselia include Arcanine, Moltres, and Mismagius, all of which are extremely hindered and almost unusable after being paralyzed with Stun Spore. To prevent Roselia from being stopped completely by Taunt, Energy Ball is used in the last moveslot. Energy Ball also deals impressive damage to many common Rapid Spinners, including Donphan, Kabutops, and Blastoise.</p>

<p>Synthesis should be the preferred option over Leech Seed, as Synthesis gives Roselia a reliable recovery move that can't be blocked by immunities, missing, or Substitute. However, Leech Seed can force more switches, giving Roselia more time to use Spikes. The decision ultimately comes down to how long you wish to keep Roselia alive. If Roselia's purpose on your team is to set up Spikes whenever possible and just sit as a filler, Leech Seed is probably the better option. However, if you want Roselia to be able to stay alive and be a decent answer to many Rapid Spinners as well as other special attackers, Synthesis is much better. The last attack should usually be Energy Ball to deal with Rapid Spinners, but Sludge Bomb is the stronger STAB attack. However, Sludge Bomb has many problems as an attacking move, allowing Pokemon such as Rhyperior to set up easily on Roselia and giving Milotic an easier time surviving and eventually damaging Roselia.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Shed Shell can be a somewhat useful item, as Roselia is dreadfully weak to Dugtrio. If your team relies on Spikes, Shed Shell may be a good item to use, if only to ensure Roselia's safety. 60 Speed EVs allow Roselia to outspeed Hitmontop, which sometimes might allow Roselia to finish Hitmontop off with Energy Ball before it can Rapid Spin your Spikes away. You could add to bulk and make Roselia’s EV spread 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe, but there is no reason to not try and take advantage of outspeeding a Rapid Spinner. Roselia could run 96 Speed EVs to outspeed Jolly 252 Speed Rhyperior, although the current spread will outspeed Adamant 252 Speed Rhyperior. The choice depends entirely on how much bulk you are willing to sacrifice. Rest can be used over either of the healing moves, giving Roselia full recovery at very low cost due to Natural Cure's status healing ability. However, it forces Roselia to switch out and back in to be useful again, giving the opponent free turns as well.</p>

<p>As with any Spiker, offensive teams truly benefit from Roselia’s Spikes, as they turn many 2HKOs into OHKOs. Roselia can also help cover many holes found in offensive teams, such as weaknesses to Registeel, Chansey, and even Rotom. However, Roselia is not much of an attacker and should not be used to keep the momentum rolling; instead, use it set up more layers ofSpikes to ensure that other sweepers can clean up. Stall teams appreciate Roselia very much, as it provides a valuable check to many Pokemon that threaten stall-based Pokemonfound commonly in stall (This sentence doesn’t make any sense.). A partner such as Milotic to take Fire-type attacks without much harm can help Roselia obtain extra turns for Spiking.</p>

<p>Roselia's major issue is its general lack of stats. Being a pre-evolution, Roselia unfortunately doesn't have the Speed, Special Attack, or defenses to defend against many powerful Pokemon found in UU. Every Fire-type and any strong physical attacker can easily OHKO Roselia. Roselia must also beware of Hitmontop that carry Foresight - if Roselia switches to a Ghost-type to try and block Rapid Spin, Hitmontop can use Foresight to KO them, while if Roselia stays in, it risks being taken out by Hitmontop due to its low bulk.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set is a much more offensive version of Roselia that is still designed to set up entry hazards (although Toxic Spikes is the preferred entry hazard in this set). Egg move limitations prevent Roselia from running certain move combinations, meaning that which form of Spikes you want will influence the rest of the moveset.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>This set can be transitioned into a lead, putting slower Pokemon to sleep and then setting up Toxic Spikes early. Omastar, for example, can be put right to sleep and then set up on or simply KOed. Focus Sash should be used over Leftovers in this case, protecting Roselia from faster leads such as Moltres and putting them to sleep.

<p>Houndoom makes an excellent partner to Roselia, absorbing Fire-type attacks while also using Nasty Plot against sleeping opponents. As an added bonus, many of Houndoom's counters, such as Chansey, Milotic, and Blastoise, despise Toxic Spikes and Spikes. Dugtrio and Fire-types are useful for eliminating grounded Poison-types that absorb Toxic Spikes. Moltres can not only keep them at bay but also use Toxic Spikes to its advantage with a SubRoost set. An odd combination of Roselia and Venusaur can actually work well, despite the their redundant typings. Roselia will lure in the opponent’s Grass/Poison-type counter (usually reserved for Venusaur) and allows you to act accordingly. Afterwards, Venusaur can be brought in to set up Swords Dance or wreck opposing teams with Leaf Storm and Sludge Bomb.</p>

<p>Just as Venusaur can be used as an ally, it also is Roselia's great enemy, doing a lot of damage with Life Orb Sludge Bomb or even OHKOing with Swords Dance boosted Returns. Venusaur can also take Roselia's Leaf Storms with ease and absorb Toxic Spikes. In order for Roselia to excel, Venusaur's removal must be prioritized. Other Pokemon to watch out for are faster Fire-types and other Poison-types that can absorb Toxic Spikes and resist Roselia's two STAB attacks. Mismagius is a very dangerous threat, as it is able to Taunt or set up a Substitute on Roselia and then proceed to set up Nasty Plots or Calm Minds.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>Roselia is built around entry hazards, so Pokemon that can block entry hazards from being spun away or sweep with them are ideal. Mismagius, for example, makes the perfect partner, protecting Roselia's entry hazards from Rapid Spinning and then using them to her advantage with Nasty Plot. Rhyperior is a great partner to Roselia, setting up Stealth Rock and switching into Fire-types, while Roselia can come back in whenever a Grass-type or Water-type switches in.</p>

<p>Fire-types that can take out Venusaur are also very important. Moltres, Arcanine, and Houndoom make ideal partners, the latter two especially, as they can beat Dugtrio.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Every viable option for Roselia is mentioned in this analysis. The only moves with some use that are not given a mention are Cotton Spore and Aromatherapy. However, there is almost no need to temporarily lower an opponent's Speed with Cotton Spore when Stun Spore will permanently disable it, and Roselia cannot waste turns using Aromatherapy, especially when there are much more capable Pokemon that can use it.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Roselia's low defenses and average Speed give it a disadvantage against many Pokemon. Fire-types, Flying-types, and hard-hitting Pokemon in general can easily kill Roselia. Pokemon that set up, such as Mismagius or Swords Dance Scyther, can also easily kill it and get free turns to set up. If you cannot stop Rapid Spin, then Roselia is almost a dead weight; entry hazards are the only thing giving it any sort of edge over Venusaur.</p>

2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)