Toxic Rocks... Sweeping Team -- Updated!

Well, I've decided to start getting a team for competitive battling.

First off, I started with Jirachi. I knew that I would need Wish supprt for the team in mind, and I just happened to have an unclaimed Jirachi on my SS file.

A lead was needed. Preferably with Stealth Rock, so I chose Swampert. It also fulfilled the role of Bulky Water.

On the offensive side of the team, I started with a revenge killer; Scizor.

I threw in Tyranitar, since the other three Pokémon were all immune to Sandstorm and that it synergized well with Scizor.

Toxic Spikes was needed, so I instantly went to specially defensive Forretress. However, it shared Scizor's 4x Fire weakness, so I went to Tentacruel. Looking back at my team, Swampert seemed to be a threat, so I picked the only other Toxic Spiker in the OU metagame: Roserade.

And finally, I needed a spinblocker. I settled on Rotom-H for its synergy with Jirachi, but that can change to any other Rotom form. I placed Roserade as the lead after realizing that my custom build wasn't exactly working, and switched to Toxic Spikes Lead.

I switched Rotom-H out for Gengar due to Gengar's access to Pain Split and synergy with Toxic Spikes. Which means Tyranitar's Sand Stream won't be helping, so I replaced it with Flygon.

A closer look reveals...

Roserade @Focus Sash
Timid Nature, Natural Cure
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Grass Knot
-Toxic Spikes
-Sleep Powder
-Aromatherapy/HP Ice(In Shoddy)

I know that a lead shouldn't have Aromatherapy, but it's there for supportive uses if Roserade actually survives (which, I might add, is unlikely, but I don't feel like getting a Hidden Power Ice Roserade). A basic Toxic Spikes lead, it can cripple the slower leads with Sleep Powder and proceed to set up Toxic Spikes. Grass Knot can destroy Tyranitar leads after setting up, as well as Swampert leads.

Swampert @Leftovers
Relaxed Nature, Torrent
240 HP/216 Def/52 SpD
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Ice Beam
-Roar

MixPert Tank Swampert can set up Stealth Rock rather reliably when it's sent out. Earthquake is there for STAB, while Ice Beam takes care of Flying types and Levitators that are immune to EQ. Finally, Roar can be used as a phazing move while forcing the opponent to switch and take damage from Stealth Rocks.

Gengar @Life Orb
Timid, Levitate
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
-Substitute
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Pain Split

This Gengar can stall the opponent while it suffers from Toxic Spikes. With Substitute, it can actually survive more than a single turn. Shadow Ball is there for STAB and Focus Blast takes care of Tyranitars. Sub+Focus Blast takes care of Scarf variants of Tyranitar. Pain Split offers damage and healing in one turn.

Scizor @Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature, Technician
12 HP/252 Atk/244 Spe
-Bullet Punch
-Pursuit
-Superpower
-U-Turn

Revenge killer and scout, all in one place! Bullet Punch is for STAB and priority, and will kill off many weakened Pokémon that are weak to it. It can also Pursuit a Ghost or Psychic-type, cutting off its escape. Superpower is for Blissey and Snorlax, while U-Turn is its main scouting move.

Jirachi @Leftovers
Bold Nature, Serene Grace
252 HP/224 Def/32 Spe
-Wish
-Calm Mind
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic

Wish support with Calm Mind is probably best for this role. Wish is the crux of this build (and Jirachi's signature move), while Calm Mind provides a boost in offense and defense. Psychic for STAB, Thunderbolt for type coverage. Why Psychic? It's more powerful than Flash Cannon.

Flygon @Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature, Levitate
252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-U-Turn
-Fire Blast

A scout/revenge killer Flygon works well with Scizor, according to the Smogon page. Earthquake is very powerful, with STAB boosting its base power from 100 to 150. Outrage is even more powerful, however Flygon would be prone to revenge killing if it gets locked into it. U-Turn for scouting purposes, and Fire Blast to deal with Steels.

I don't understand why the non-lead Swampert has a lead moveset, there is no really big need for stealth rock after spikes, and mostly, as a switch in, you get attacked and sometimes over 50%, meaning a potential 2HKO and you only get stealth rock in...

I don't understand why the non-lead Swampert has a lead moveset, there is no really big need for stealth rock after spikes, and mostly, as a switch in, you get attacked and sometimes over 50%, meaning a potential 2HKO and you only get stealth rock in...
You raise a good point,but STealth rock will always help,
@ Noog: change ur pert set to this:
Leftovers
252 HP/176 def/80 spe

~Stealth Rock
~Curse
~Waterfall
~Ice Beam/HP Ice

Hi there Noog nice team you got there^^

I got some minor suggestions so here they are:

1)Move Swampert into lead position because with the increase of Mix ape and grass types in the metagame, it will only add pressure for you to lay those essential stealth rocks.

Roserade can take the back seat and have a nice set:

Roserade@Black sludge
- Toxic spikes
- Energy Ball
- Rest
- Hidden Power Fire
252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD Calm

This set also allows you to deal with annoying fortress as well as take hits from LO Starmie and Shaymin pretty nicely.

Nice team, good work, GL!!!

Hey I got your message, interesting team. Before I say anything, you always need stealth rock, always, do not change Swampert's moveset, he works great outside the lead position, I would argue even better since he doesn't match up well with many leads nowadays. Anyways, you seem to mention that you are using this for wifi. If that is the case, Rotom forms are usually not allowed. Rotom should not be used just because you need a special sweeper, he's not even the world's best sweeper with that set or in general. Regardless, you also have two scarfers, which I generally dislike- combining this with the fact that these two scarfers check much of the same things, I think a change would serve you well in this slot. Gengar, specifically SubSplit, solves many of your problems.

Gengar @ Life Orb
252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid
-Substitute
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Pain Split

This set is good for a number of reasons. Firstly, you have toxic spikes on the team for what appears to be no reason whatsoever. You mention in the team building process that you needed Roserade because toxic spikes were needed, but really only Jirachi is a good abuser of them, and the rest of the team doesn't really appreciate them much. Gengar becomes very potent with this set, substitute stalling many things to death. Secondly, he's probably the second-best ghost type in OU, since providing you with a solid spin blocker is the main reason here. Lastly, he is less of pursuit bait, do to sub + focus blast killing Tyranitar instantly, provided they don't run a bulky careful set. Alternatively, if you're looking for a more defensive Pokemon, you can run a Crotomb- but generally I don't think he fits on offensive teams and isn't really the best Pokemon, so only consider him if you recognize that you cant use rotom forms on wifi and you really hate Gengar.

I'm also a bit curious about Tyranitar, why is he running a lure set? It seems to me that you're running a lure set for the sake of luring. I suppose it's a matter of preference, because that's definitely not a bad set, but just ask yourself if Tyranitar consistently lures and kills more Pokemon than if he just run DD, and if so, for what grander purpose in the team strategy?

All in all a very solid team, good luck. Hope this all helps.

Thanks for the rates!

@Belphagor and Devin: A Swampert with the MixPert set can be used as a mid-game defensive Pokémon. With planning, Roar could be used for phazing, as well as forcing residual damage onto whoever gets forced in.

@Somalia: A slight problem with Roserade not being in the lead slot; on Shoddy, I had trouble getting Toxic Spikes set up due to Roserade's fragility, especially to physical attacks.

@Smith: Fortunately, I have a Gastly handy for that moveset, and if Rotom-A is banned from Wi-Fi, I'll probably use Gengar in place of Rotom.

Gengar @Life Orb
Timid, Levitate
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
-Substitute
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Pain Split

This Gengar can stall the opponent while it suffers from Toxic Spikes. With Substitute, it can actually survive more than a single turn. Shadow Ball is there for STAB and Focus Blast takes care of Tyranitars. Sub+Focus Blast takes care of Scarf variants of Tyranitar. Pain Split offers damage and healing in one turn.

As for replacing Tyranitar due to the unfortunate sandstorm, I'm choosing Scarf Flygon. It has perks and downsides. For one, it's resistant to Stealth Rocks and immune to both versions of Spikes, which is quite useful since I don't have a spinner.

Flygon @Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature, Levitate
252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-U-Turn
-Fire Blast

A scout/revenge killer Flygon works well with Scizor, according to the Smogon page. Earthquake is very powerful, with STAB boosting its base power from 100 to 150. Outrage is even more powerful, however Flygon would be prone to revenge killing if it gets locked into it. U-Turn for scouting purposes, and Fire Blast to deal with Steels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)