Umbreon (Placeholder)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umbreon

--------------------

[Overview]

• Umbreon gained very little in Black/White
  • Umbreon has excellent defenses but very little attacking power. This can cause him to be set-up bait for opponents
  • Game Freak sucks

Set Comments:
  • Taunt prevents foes from attempting to use Roar or Whirlwind. It can also be used to stop set-up attempts, such as Skarmory using Spikes
  • Wish can be used to heal Umbreon or a teammate. Payback is very weak but it gives Umbreon something to do if he gets Taunted himself
Additional Comments:

• The majority of opponents switching into Umbreon tend to be physical hitters and especially Fighting-types, but 252 SpD Careful is also very usable
  • Speed investment is recommended if you plan to Baton Pass a Speed boost to Umbreon first. 128 Speed EVs allows Umbreon to outspeed the base 130 group with a +2 boost; important for Taunting Mewtwo and Aerodactyl before they Taunt you
  • Cheer Up or Double Team could allow Umbreon to boost his stats before using Baton Pass, but Umbreon will likely not find time to use these moves. Yawn can put your trapped opponent to sleep, helping ensure a successful set-up
[SET]
name: Curse
move 1: Curse
move 2: Payback
move 3: Rest / Wish
move 4: Sleep Talk / Protect
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
nature: Careful

Set Comments:
  • Umbreon has great HP and Special Defense, making Curse an obvious choice to boost Attack and Defense at the cost of his already terrible Speed
  • No Pokemon are immune to Payback, making it a decent choice for a mono-attacker. His low Speed means Payback is likely to have 100 power
  • Rest + Sleep Talk or Wish + Protect are both good choices for recovery. Sleep Talk can be slightly unreliable, but means Umbreon doesn't lose to Toxic
Additional Comments:
  • Tyranitar can run a similar set, but has far more weaknesses
  • Is not effective in the early stages of a battle - is easily set up on by offensive Pokemon like Gyarados and Salamence. A Pokemon that can counter or revenge-kill common setup sweepers is recommended
[Other Options]

• A simple Wish/Protect/Toxic/Payback set with maximum HP and SpD could be effective. The advantage of using this set over Blissey is that, unlike Blissey, Umbreon is not at all vulnerable to Psycho Shock, and as such, can be used as a counter to various Psychic-types like Mewtwo and Alakazam
  • Moonlight can be used, but is has low PP and sandstorm greatly reduces its efficiency
  • Heal Bell can be used to cure teammates of status, but is difficult to fit into any set
[Team Options]

• If using a Baton Pass chain, Zapdos and Gliscor make good partners, as they resist Fighting
  • Pokemon that resist Fighting and are adept at setting up will be preferred recipients on non-chain teams. Examples include Gyarados and Salamence
  • Umbreon without Taunt is easily set up on by offensive Pokemon like Gyarados and Salamence. Deoxys-S is a good revenge-killer who can check these Pokemon
  • Not generally suitable for an offensive team, as he can really slow the team down
[Counters]

• Powerful Fighting- and Bug-types will be the most common counters. Heracross, Lucario, and Scizor pose a severe, immediate threat
  • Any user of U-turn is a problem for the Mean Look set
[Dream World]
  • Inner Focus is generally not helpful, but may be of use against opponents like Jirachi. Synchronize is preferred.

Sorry I somehow missed this earlier. Anyway, you need to include a sprite of Umbreon and a link to a Pokedex page for Umbreon (serebii or veekun work). Once you do that, I'll check on this again.

I fixed some formatting issues in the OP after you brought this up again to me on IRC, but I noticed that you are missing the "Teammates & Counters" section of each set. Check some other analyses around that are marked as done and you'll see what I mean. Once you include those, this'll be marked as done.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bumping this. I just checked the Research thread, and it appears Mean Look cannot be Baton Passed any more. Check this post for more details, but this basically knocks out the entire first set.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would probably just list the wish passing toxic umbreon and then slash curse on it as an option for the late game as the only set, to be honest. its only niche now is that its immune to psycho shock and has wish, otherwise it's beat by blissey, spiritomb, t-tar...

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Offensive Trick Room Bronzong could get a mention in Team Options, since he can easily make use of Umbreon's CursePassing abilities. Also, Baton Pass is a somewhat good option on a Wish set, since Umbreon's low Speed means that he can get his teammate in for free since he would be the one taking the hit, and not his teammate.

It's really a pity that Umbreon got taken down a peg as a Baton Passer. I personally feel more sorry for Ariados though, who has no more reason to live assuming Spider Web works the same way...

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
That's actually a pretty good novelty. Curse Pass Umbreon can, surprisingly enough, set up Bronzong for a sweep. After a Curse it can take a U-Turn from Scizor, as some bullshit comes in that Bronzong can set up on 99% of the time. I mean it's somewhat gimmicky but it's Umbreon we're talking about. At least, it's alright in Gen 4.

You can still Mean Look / Yawn / Protect / Baton Pass. Sure, you only get one free turn, but like with Wobb, one free turn can be really helpful!

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Honestly, Umbreon isn't competitively viable in Gen. 5 OU. With the influx of Fighting-types and heavy hitters this generation, Umbreon just can't keep up. With Mischievous Heart Pokemon that utilize Taunt, such as Borutorosu, being common, Umbreon will have a hard time doing what it wants. We should be concentrating on writing analyses for Pokemon that actually have a fighting chance in OU, not ones that are completely mauled by the slew of threats that roam about the OU metagame. Umbreon just doesn't cut it. Perhaps it'll have a nice little UU analysis when the time comes.

QC REJECTED (1/2)

Here comes Setsuna...

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's correct. It's a pity, but Umbreon just doesn't have a place in the OU tier.

QC REJECTED (2/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)