Furret (Update)

Gonna do an update on Furret. It is okay, and has a WIDE movepool and reasonable stats to use them (unlike SOME pokemon :P). Bear in mind that this is my first ever update, so I’m a bit inexperienced : /

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/furret

QC Accepted: 2/2
QC Rejected: 0/2

What I’ve done with this analysis:
- Remove "Assistant" set, WAY too gimmicky.
- Removed set "Actual Choice Bander"
- Changed name of Trickster to Choice, and edited a bit.

[Overview]
- Explain how Furret has a very wide movepool, and has reasonable stats to exploit its movepool, unlike Pokemon like Castform.
- Has good 90 base speed, and 76 base attack. These stats can accomplish an effective lead.

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Trick
move 2: Return
move 3: Brick Break
move 4: U-turn / Shadow Claw / Sucker Punch
item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf
ability: Keen Eye
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Why this set deserves to be on-site:
- Functions as an excellent scout.
- Great SE coverage with moves just Return/Shadow Claw/Brick Break give perfect neutral coverage.
- Fairly high speed.
- Can also function as quite a good wall-breaker due to Trick.

Additional Comments
- Decision on Sucker Punch is if you want priority to pick off things like Mismagius or Alakazam.
- Choice Band for a LOT more power, use with Jolly. Choice Scarf if you want to pick things off without priority, use with U-turn/Trick.
- EVs are very straightforward. Max attack and speed.
- Functions quite well as a lead, but if lead Sucker Punch is recommended option.

Team Options
- Things that can take advantage of the openings that Furret makes, preferably set-up sweepers like Swellow.
- Strong pursuiter to take care of Uxie/Mesprit, such as Absol or Spiritomb

Optional Changes
- Super Fang
- Toxic!?!
- Baton pass can be used to scout, but U-turn is generally the better option because furret doesn't learn any boosts @_@
- If Furret has more special investment, then it can use something like T-Bolt to 2HKO Cloyster. Unfortunately, Furret has 45 Base Special Attack, and a MASSIVE special movepool :(

Counters
- Anything really bulky e.g. Uxie, Omastar, Rhyperior, Steelix, Regirock.
- Registeel
- Bulky Waters (maybe not Cloyster for above reasons), but still very possible.
- Tangrowth
- Hitmontop, can intimidate Furret and Mach Punch it. Also bulky and resists Sucker Punch.

I haven't tested this out yet, but Protect on a Choice set?! Locking yourself into Protect is by no means helping you beat Ambipom, and i can already tell that the lead set should never stay in against Ambipom. Unless i am missing something here, please remove Protect.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Both sets look like they can be merged into one, they each have the same nature recommendations, EV spreads, similar move pools, and choice of item (just different order). Additionally, some of the reasoning for each one applies to the other, so could just say it functions as a good lead and give a few sentences why. Also, I question Substitute as a move, I understand potentially using Protect to scout, but sub will just wear out Furret. Finally, since this is for UU there's no need to mention that it does ok in OU.

The EV spread listed at the end of the first set should be removed, as I'm not sure what that's beating in UU or how that's any better than the EV spread you have listed for the sets, and I assume you're referring to the OU Lead cloyster in the analysis?

I haven't tested this out yet, but Protect on a Choice set?! Locking yourself into Protect is by no means helping you beat Ambipom, and i can already tell that the lead set should never stay in against Ambipom. Unless i am missing something here, please remove Protect.
I think what I meant was that you trick off your Scarf/Band THEN you scout. Alternatively, I may choose to put it in AC, but I'd rather a QC member decide.

Both sets look like they can be merged into one, they each have the same nature recommendations, EV spreads, similar move pools, and choice of item (just different order). Additionally, some of the reasoning for each one applies to the other, so could just say it functions as a good lead and give a few sentences why. Also, I question Substitute as a move, I understand potentially using Protect to scout, but sub will just wear out Furret. Finally, since this is for UU there's no need to mention that it does ok in OU.

The EV spread listed at the end of the first set should be removed, as I'm not sure what that's beating in UU or how that's any better than the EV spread you have listed for the sets, and I assume you're referring to the OU Lead cloyster in the analysis?
oops sorry. that was a mistake, thanks for pointing it out!

Also, I included two sets because the second set is not really meant to be a lead. It functions something like CB Scizor of UU, whereas the lead set functions like Trick Scarf Azelf of UU.

Slashitis. Remove Protect on the lead set, it clutters and is generally useless. Tricking means you know what they're going to do, anyway.

Also, is Body Slam that great? 76 base attack isn't too stellar.

Furret gets Pursuit for the choiced set. Maybe slashed with Shadow Claw?

Slashitis. Remove Protect on the lead set, it clutters and is generally useless. Tricking means you know what they're going to do, anyway.

Also, is Body Slam that great? 76 base attack isn't too stellar.

Furret gets Pursuit for the choiced set. Maybe slashed with Shadow Claw?
i get your point, i'll remove protect. Body Slam helps with its paralysis chance, but i'll put it as the secondary slash after return.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Hmm, this could use some cleaning up; the various slashes make this quite messy. I think you should just merge the two sets you've listed in the OP since they're both using Choice items and a lot of material is redundant between the two sets. I'll elaborate below. Here's the set I think you should include:

[SET]
nature: Jolly

He's mainly attacking with this set, so coverage is important. IMO, Return should be the only option in conjunction with Choice Band. Furret needs all the damage it can get, and Return allows you to do just that. Body Slam can be mentioned in Additional Comments, though. Furret's mediocre 75 base Attack stat isn't all that impressive, and Body Slam won't be denting much. It does have a nifty 30% chance to paralyze your opponent, but in the long run, it's not worth it - Return's higher power makes is the more attractive option.

Brick Break gives you a way to defend yourself against the Rock- and Steel-types that have no problem switching-in on Furret's other moves. The last slot is a choice between scouting, hitting Ghost-types, and a priority move to combat Mismagius and Rotom. I put Sucker Punch as the last option since they can both use Substitute to beat you...and getting locked into Sucker Punch isn't good.

You can then talk about Furret's merit as a lead in Additional Comments as well - an entire set for it seems unnecessary. Substitute on the lead set seems questionable. Instead of using Substitute and depleting 25% of my health, I would much rather just U-turn out and scout your opponent's switch in. The Counters section needs to be expanded. Any Rock-type or Steel-type with high physical defense easily stops Furret in its tracks. This means Omastar, Rhyperior, Regirock, and Steelix should be mentioned alongside Registeel.

To summarize: merge the two sets since they're really similar, mention Furret's merit as a lead in the Additional Comments section, and expand on the Counters section to include Omastar, Rhyperior, Regirock, and Steelix.

Hmm, this could use some cleaning up; the various slashes make this quite messy. I think you should just merge the two sets you've listed in the OP since they're both using Choice items and a lot of material is redundant between the two sets. I'll elaborate below. Here's the set I think you should include:

[SET]
nature: Jolly

He's mainly attacking with this set, so coverage is important. IMO, Return should be the only option in conjunction with Choice Band. Furret needs all the damage it can get, and Return allows you to do just that. Body Slam can be mentioned in Additional Comments, though. Furret's mediocre 75 base Attack stat isn't all that impressive, and Body Slam won't be denting much. It does have a nifty 30% chance to paralyze your opponent, but in the long run, it's not worth it - Return's higher power makes is the more attractive option.

Brick Break gives you a way to defend yourself against the Rock- and Steel-types that have no problem switching-in on Furret's other moves. The last slot is a choice between scouting, hitting Ghost-types, and a priority move to combat Mismagius and Rotom. I put Sucker Punch as the last option since they can both use Substitute to beat you...and getting locked into Sucker Punch isn't good.

You can then talk about Furret's merit as a lead in Additional Comments as well - an entire set for it seems unnecessary. Substitute on the lead set seems questionable. Instead of using Substitute and depleting 25% of my health, I would much rather just U-turn out and scout your opponent's switch in. The Counters section needs to be expanded. Any Rock-type or Steel-type with high physical defense easily stops Furret in its tracks. This means Omastar, Rhyperior, Regirock, and Steelix should be mentioned alongside Registeel.

To summarize: merge the two sets since they're really similar, mention Furret's merit as a lead in the Additional Comments section, and expand on the Counters section to include Omastar, Rhyperior, Regirock, and Steelix.
After testing I agree. Changes will be made.

EDIT: done. edits made.

- Great SE coverage with moves just Return/Shadow Claw/Brick Break give perfect neutral coverage.
I think you should change this to "Shadow Claw & Brick Break give perfect neutral coverage", because the statement is a bit contradictory, and Return never does SE damage. But that's just a nitpick...

Anyway, I can't find any major issues with this update. You should mention, however, that when you Trick Choice Band, you'll be a LOT weaker, and it will be hard to kill something off base 76 Attack. Other than that, you could add in AC that Furret has Baton Pass, but the only boosting moves that Furret can pass is Amnesia and Defense Curl...I'm just making a suggestion...

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
yeah this thing is pretty pathetic, but everything looks to be fine with the skeleton.

The lack of Focus Punch in the analysis is worrying. It was Furrets main niche in the previous analysis and it proved very effective. Furret not only has the ability to ruin Walls' day but it can also take advantage of the switch caused by being locked into a less appealing move - like Stealth Rock, and hit the switch incredibly hard. Let's imagine the switch is most likely going to be a Rock, Steel-type that would wall Furret to death, let's now imagine it being hit unexpectedly by a Focus Punch. It becomes hard to switch into Furret, bar Ghost-types, even Tank Registeel loses a hefty chunk out of its HP when switched into a Focus Punch, which is another reason why Focus Punch should be slashed over Brick Break. Brick Break is just pitiful. Honestly.

252 Atk Jolly Furret w/ Leftovers Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Neutral Registeel: 44% - 52.2%
252 Atk Jolly Furret w/ Leftovers Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Neutral Registeel: 22% - 26.4%
I'm not even sure if this is the common Registeel set these days.

Yes I know this sceneraio just might never happen, but that doesn't change the fact that Focus Punch is clearly superior to Brick Break. Even though Brick Break is far more reliable and requires less prediciton, any chance Furret gets at hitting something hard should be taken, taken immediately. But yeah, Furret wants power.

Also
252 Atk Jolly Furret w/ Leftovers Focus Punch vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Neutral Chansey: 77.4% - 91.1%
252 Atk Jolly Furret w/ Leftovers Brick Break vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Neutral Chansey: 38.7% - 45.9%

How hard would it be to hit Chansey with a Focus Punch? Not very c:

Hmm.. after testing I agree with Wynaught. Focus Punch hits those stuff incredibly hard and Furret appreciates the power boost. I will probably slash it with Brick Break, but BB will still be the primary slash.

can i start writing this now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)