Minun (Update)

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Alright, so it's Minun! To be honest, I wasn't too sure how to approach this, since, well, Plusle and Minun are extremely similar. I hope it's alright if I C/P'd most of the skeleton between the two; I'll need to check some stuff, but I may also make some of the sections such as Optional Changes the same except for their names and a couple of other little things (OC for both Plusle and Minun is almost exactly the same). Also, I would like to request if possible for the same QC members to QC check both of these analysis's, since they're very similar, and from my own testing, you could just interchange Plusle and Minun on the same team and have similar results.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/minun

Changes:

-Remove CounterSash set. Gimmicky.
-Make Baton Pass set more defensively oriented.

[Overview]

<p>Minun comes as the third generation's cute Electric-type mouse alongside Plusle. While no one can deny his captivating charm, his stats are unfortunately mediocre, and his movepool is nothing to write home about. Because of this, Minun is often forgotten in favor of other fast, specially-offensive Electric-types such as Raichu and Manectric. Still, Minun's access to the combination of Nasty Plot, Encore, and Baton Pass gives a good reason to use him over his competitors. Minun might not seem too threatening at first glance, but underestimate him at your own peril, as it could result in a Pokemon sweeping through your team with the boosts Minun has passed.</p>

[SET]
name: Defensive Baton Pass
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Nasty Plot
move 3: Encore
move 4: Thunderbolt
item: Leftovers
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set utilizes Minun's access to Encore and decent special bulk to make him an effective Nasty Plot Baton Passer. Nasty Plot and Baton Pass form the crux of this set, while Encore allows Minun to lock Pokemon such as Registeel into a harmless move like Stealth Rock, effectively giving Minun a free turn afterward to set up. Since Minun can't set up on moderately powerful attackers even with
a defensive EV spread, Encore is often extremely important to obtain a Nasty Plot boost. Thunderbolt gives Minun a reliable attack, which prevents him from being completely useless if he gets Taunted, and does decent damage after a Nasty Plot, even without Special Attack investment.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This EV spread is simple, but effective. A Timid nature and 252 Speed EVs are needed to tie with other max Speed base 95 Pokemon such as Houndoom. This can be important, as this gives Minun a 50% chance to Baton Pass the boost in a tight situation against them. 252 HP EVs boost Minun's overall bulk, and allow Minun to switch into a decent amount of weak special attacks. For example, this Minun will never be 2HKOed by 0 Special Attack Milotic's Surf, even after Stealth Rock. A more offensive spread can be used if you wish, but due to Minun's relatively poor defenses, he'll have an even harder time setting up than he
does with the above EV spread.</p>

<p>Minun has a couple of other moves that he can use on this set. Agility is always useful to Baton Pass, but Nasty Plot is what makes Minun unique. It can, however, go over Thunderbolt if you wish. Magnet Rise can be an interesting option to Baton Pass, but like Agility, should only go over Thunderbolt. However, replacing Thunderbolt with either Agility or Magnet Rise leaves Minun rendered utterly useless by Taunt, so it isn't recommended. Hidden Power Ice would be a great option to hit Ground-types that Minun can't hit with Thunderbolt, but there is nothing that you can really replace on this set.</p>

<p>As this set's main goal is to Baton Pass Nasty Plot boosts, appropriate Baton Pass recipients are naturally important teammates. If possible, these Baton Pass recipients should also be able to deal with Ground-types. Therefore, Moltres, Mismagius, Rotom, and Sceptile are all excellent partners, as they benefit greatly from a Nasty Plot boost, and are immune or resistant to Ground-type attacks. All of these Pokemon pack incredible powerful after a Nasty Plot boost, and are fast enough to attempt a sweep.</p>

<p>Because both Minun and his Baton Pass recipients are specially-based, dedicated special sponges such as Chansey can pose problems. Even after a Nasty Plot boost, these Baton Pass recipients might still have a chance to be outstalled by Chansey. Dugtrio is a great choice to trap and KO Chansey. U-turn users such as Scyther and Swellow can also help weaken the opposing team, and scout for any Pokemon that may pose a problem to your Baton Pass recipient.</p>

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot Sweeper
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Encore
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Minun is generally outclassed by other Electric-types when it comes to sweeping, he can still be a decent Nasty Plot sweeper. Nasty Plot is an excellent boosting move that can quickly boost Minun's sub-par Special Attack to a high level. Encore allows Minun to capitalize on support moves with ease, and it's almost a necessity for Minun to set up, since unlike the last set, there isn't any investment in
Minun's defenses. Thunderbolt is Minun's main STAB attack, while Hidden Power Ice provides excellent coverage alongside it. Life Orb is the item of choice, as Minun needs all the power he can get. However, if you choose to invest some EVs into HP, Leftovers can be a viable option as well.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Minun has a couple of other options that he can use with decent results. Hidden Power Fighting can be used to strike Registeel and Steelix for decent damage, while Grass Knot is available to hit Rhyperior and Donphan harder than Hidden Power Ice. However, these attacks have worse overall coverage with Thunderbolt in comparison to Hidden Power Ice. Baton Pass is an option to scout for counters, and possibly Baton Pass a Nasty Plot boost to a partner, but Minun needs all the coverage he can get
in order to successfully sweep. You can also transfer some Special Attack EVs to HP to make setting up a Nasty Plot somewhat easier.</p>

<p>Since Minun is offensively weak even after a Nasty Plot boost, massive amounts of support are necessary for Minun to sweep. Omastar is a superb entry hazard supporter that has enough bulk to switch in multiple times during a match to set up entry hazards again if necessary. Qwilfish is also a decent option, as he can quickly set up a layer or two of Spikes before dying. Scyther and Swellow can both slowly weaken opposing walls with U-turn, which will gradually allow Minun to overcome these walls. Dugtrio is also a great teammate to trap and KO Chansey and Registeel, both of which can easily sponge Minun's attacks.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Offensively, Minun enjoys powerful teammates that can either tear holes in the opposing team, allowing Minun or his Baton Pass recipient to sweep, or speedy Pokemon that can clean up after either Minun or his Baton Pass recipient have damaged the opposing team. Pokemon such as Alakazam, Rhyperior, and Aggron can easily smash through the opposition, while Choice Scarf Rotom and Moltres, as well as Scyther, can easily clean up the opponent's remaining Pokemon. While it's preferable to have Pokemon that benefit from a Nasty Plot boost, you may also want a couple of physically-oriented Pokemon to deal with resilient special sponges such as Chansey. Alternatively, you could simply use Dugtrio or a similar trapper to trap and KO such special sponges.</p>

<p>Minun is extremely weak, so entry hazard support is appreciated. Minun can also utilize the entry hazards in different ways other than for himself, from simply racking up damage via switches forced by Encore to using them to bring opponents into KO range for his Baton Pass recipients. Omastar and Qwilfish are probably the most useful Spikers. Omastar, when used in the lead position, will often draw Grass Knots from the likes of Mesprit and Uxie. Since Minun is so light, he can switch into these attacks and Encore them before proceeding to set up. Qwilfish can simply set up a layer or two of Spikes while stopping opposing leads from setting up their hazards. Keeping entry hazards off your side of the field can be useful, since Minun needs all of his HP intact if he is aiming to sweep. Rapid Spinners, though not really necessary, can be useful due to this. Claydol, Donphan, and Hitmontop are all decent choices if you want to use a Rapid Spinner alongside Minun. Claydol is immune to Ground-type attacks, while both Donphan and Hitmontop can deal with spinblockers that try to switch in. Claydol and Donphan also tend to lure in Milotic, which Minun can set up on.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Minun's movepool isn't particularly expansive, but he does have a couple of interesting options. Minun has access to Wish and status moves in Sing and Thunder Wave. Since Minun also has access to moves such as Baton Pass and Encore, he can pull off a support set; however, Minun's poor defenses make this a mediocre option. Fake Tears can be used, but for the most part Minun prefers Nasty Plot, since it's Baton Passable. Signal Beam is a special attack that Minun can use, but it has poor coverage alongside Thunderbolt. Minun could also attempt a gimmicky anti-lead set of Counter, Encore, Thunderbolt, and Quick Attack while holding a Focus Sash; Counter can KO physical leads, Encore can lock a lead into Stealth Rock, and Quick Attack can finish Focus Sash leads off, but it's really just that&mdash;a gimmick.</p>

[Counters]

<p>The main problem with countering Minun is Baton Pass. Baton Pass makes it so that it isn't just about dealing with Minun&mdash;it means you have to prevent Minun from passing his boosts to something more deadly, or have the ability to deal with the recipient. Because of this, the best counters to Minun are bulky phazers. Venusaur with Roar can easily take anything Minun throws at it, and can use Roar to phaze Minun. Lanturn, Registeel, and Chansey are also good counters as they all take little damage from Minun's attacks and can paralyze Baton Pass recipients with Thunder Wave. It should be noted that Minun is quite weak on his own, and most of the time, dedicated special sponges aren't really necessary to deal with him.</p>

<p>Faster Pokemon can easily outspeed and KO Minun. Dugtrio is particularly effective since he can trap Minun with Arena Trap and OHKO him with Earthquake. If a faster sweeper isn't available on your team, then priority is also a great way to take down Minun. Minun isn't very bulky, so strong priority attacks should take him down, although some prior damage may need to be done ahead of time. Arcanine's ExtremeSpeed is a great example of this, as it will easily KO any variant of Minun after a little residual damage.</p>

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Bump. This is waiting for verdicts from the two QC members that I contacted, though I may have to contact some other QC members.

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
This looks pretty good, seeing as Minun is kind of pitiful. A couple of things I would touch up a bit:
  • give an AC mention to Baton Pass in the offensive set, as it helps scout for counters and can make use of the boost if you meet something like Registeel
  • mention how faster sweepers and strong priority moves can immediately do a lot of damage or even KO both sets. this should definitely be in the counters section, your choice as to whether or not you mention it in AC of the sets.
  • mention that Minun is pretty laughably weak and that many Pokemon (aka not limited to Chansey/Registeel) also wall it in the AC for offensive
Other than that, everything looks solid. good job on this, and sorry for taking so long; I've been rather busy, and haven't been active in C&C for a while.

QC APPROVED 1/2

This could be quite gimmicky, but maybe slash Magnet Rise in OC? Plusle and Minun are the only ones in UU who can do this.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant that only they can pass Magnet Rise. My bad.

This could be quite gimmicky, but maybe slash Magnet Rise in OC? Plusle and Minun are the only ones in UU who can do this.
Actually, there are a number of Pokemon in UU that can use Magnet Rise, such as Aggron and Steelix. However, Magnet Rise does deserve an OC mention, because Plusle and Minun will attract Ground-type moves like crazy.

SilentVerse

Into the New World
Okay, the write-up is finally done. This should be ready for GP checks.

On another note, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with Plusle. I think I might just wait for this to have two GP checks, then C/P the sections that don't need to be changed, or only slightly changed (Overview, Optional Changes, Counters, Team Options) to become relevant to Plusle, then have the stuff that needs to be re-written get the two GP checks for Plusle (Nasty Plot Sweeper, Offensive Baton Pass). Really, Plusle and Minun are so similar that I think it wouldn't be a problem if I did this (especially since the on-site analysis's have the analysis's basically the same as well), but I do want confirmation.

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Changes in bold
Removals in red

[Overview]

<p>Minun comes as the third generation's cute Electric-type mouse along with Plusle, and while none can deny his ambrosial charm, his stats are unfortunately rather mediocre, and his movepool is nothing to write home about. Because of this, Minun is often forgotten in favor of other fast, specially-offensive Electric-types such as Manectric, or even Raichu. Still, Minun's access to the combination of Nasty Plot, Encore and Baton Pass gives a good reason to use him over the competition, being a superb Nasty Plot Baton Passer in his own right. Minun might not seem too threatening at a first glance, but underestimate him at your peril; as it could result in a Pokemon sweeping through your team with the boosts Minun has given it.</p>

I rearranged the middle part a lot, I think it flows better that way.

EDIT: kkkkk

SilentVerse

Into the New World
Thanks Aeron Ee1, I implemented pretty much all your changes. I kept my order of Raichu and Manectric, since Raichu outclasses Minun more than Manectric does, so it makes more sense to put it first imo. Also in the part, "...Nasty Plot, Encore and Baton Pass gives a good reason to use him...", I kept the "a" in there because, well, "...Nasty Plot, Encore and Baton Pass give good reason to use him.." doesn't really sound right to me.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP Check 1/2:
additions/changes in blue
removals in red
comments in navy

[Overview]

<p>Minun comes as the third generation's cute Electric-type mouse alongside with Plusle. (period) and While none no one can deny his ambrosial captivating (Changed mostly because "ambrosial" is kinda a not so well known word.) charm, his stats are unfortunately mediocre, and his movepool is nothing to write home about. Because of this, Minun is often forgotten in favor of other fast, specially-offensive Electric-types such as Raichu, (remove comma) or even and Manectric. Still, Minun's access to the combination of Nasty Plot, Encore, (comma) and Baton Pass gives a good reason to use him over the competition, (remove comma) being a superb Nasty Plot Baton Passer in his own right. Minun might not seem too threatening at a first glance, but underestimate him at your own peril, (comma) as it could result in a Pokemon sweeping through your team with the boosts Minun has given it passed.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set utilizes three of Minun's unique assets in Nasty Plot, (remove comma) Minun's access to Encore and decent special bulk, (remove comma) and Baton Pass to make Minun him an effective Nasty Plot Baton Passer. Not many Pokemon have this extremely useful combination of moves, and in particular, (Overview can say that.) Encore sets Minun apart from fellow Nasty Plot Baton Passers such as Ambipom. Even though Minun isn't that bulky, with some investment and Encore, Minun can switch into a decent amount of special attacks or support moves and set up. (Okay... kinda irrelevant and repetitive.)</p>

(I didn't like how it said Nasty Plot and Baton Pass make him an effective NP BPer. It's... awkward. It's fine in the Overview though. And... I'll just merge the leftover parts to the top of the next paragraph.)

<p>This set utilizes Minun's access to Encore and decent special bulk to make him an effective Nasty Plot Baton Passer. Nasty Plot and Baton Pass form the crux of this set as a Nasty Plot Baton Passer. Encore allows Minun to set up on lock Pokemon such as Registeel since it can lock them into a harmless move such as Stealth Rock, effectively giving Minun a free turn afterward to set up. Encore is often extremely important, (remove comma) as even with some investment, (remove comma) Since Minun can't set up on moderately powerful attackers at all, (comma) even with defensive investments, (comma) Encore is often extremely important to obtain a Nasty Plot boot. This will often mean that Encore is necessary for Minun to obtain a Nasty Plot boost. Thunderbolt gives Minun a reliable attack, which stops prevents him from being completely useless if he gets Taunted, and does decent damage after a Nasty Plot, even without Special Attack investment.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This EV spread is simple, but effective. A Timid nature and 252 Speed EVs are needed to tie with other max Speed base 95 Pokemon such as Houndoom. This can be important, as this gives you Minun a 50% chance to Baton Pass the boost in a tight situation against them. 252 HP EVs boost both of Minun's defenses overall bulk, and allow Minun to switch into a decent amount of weak special attacks. For example, this Minun will never be 2HKOed by a Min 0 Special Attack Milotic's Surf, even after Stealth Rock. While this isn't particularly impressive, it allows Minun to switch into said Milotic with ease, before using Nasty Plot and Baton Passing away. ("decent amount of weak special attacks" is enough to basically say this sentence.) A more offensive spread can be used if you wish, but it makes Minun outclassed by Plusle, (remove comma) and due to his Minun's relatively poor defenses, he'll have an even harder time setting up than he does now.</p>

<p>Minun has a couple of other moves that he can use on this set. Agility is always useful to Baton Pass, but Nasty Plot is what makes Minun unique. It can, however, go over Thunderbolt if you wish. Magnet Rise can be an interesting option to Baton Pass, but like Agility, should only go over Thunderbolt. However, replacing Thunderbolt with either Agility or Magnet Rise leaves Minun rendered utterly useless by Taunt, so it isn't recommended. Hidden Power Ice would be a great option to hit Ground-types that Minun can't hit with Thunderbolt, but there is nothing that you can really replace on this set.</p>

<p>As this set's main goal is to Baton Pass Nasty Plot boosts, appropriate Baton Pass recipients are naturally important. If possible, these Baton Pass recipients should also be able to deal with Ground-types. Therefore, Moltres, Mismagius, Rotom, and Sceptile can all be excellent partners, as they can all benefit greatly from a Nasty Plot boost, and are immune or resistant to Ground-type attacks. All of these Pokemon pack incredible powerful after a Nasty Plot boost, and are fast enough to attempt a sweep.</p>

<p>Because both Minun and his Baton Pass recipients are specially-based, dedicated special sponges such as Chansey can pose problems. Even after a Nasty Plot boost, these Baton Pass recipients might still have a chance to be outstalled by the aforementioned Chansey. Dugtrio is a great choice to trap and KO Chansey. Users of U-turn such as Scyther and Swellow can also help weaken the opposing team, and scout for anything Pokemon that may pose a problem to your Baton Pass recipient.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Minun is generally outclassed by other Electric-types when it comes to sweeping, with Nasty Plot and Encore, (remove comma) Minun he can still be a decent Nasty Plot sweeper. Though Minun is completely outclassed by Raichu, and to a lesser extent, his brother, Plusle, this is still a set that Minun can use with decent success. Minun's marginally better defenses do help Minun set up and take random priority moves however, which gives a reason to use him over Plusle. (I don't see the point in this information.)</p>

(Again, I merged the remaining sentence with the bottom.)

<p>
While Minun is generally outclassed by other Electric-types when it comes to sweeping, he can still be a decent Nasty Plot sweeper. Nasty Plot is an excellent boosting move that can quickly boost Minun's sub-par Special Attack to a high level. Encore allows Minun to set up on support moves with ease, and it's almost necessary to use it to get a necessity for Minun to set up, since unlike the last set, there isn't any investment in defenses. Thunderbolt is Minun's main STAB attack, while Hidden Power Ice provides excellent coverage alongside it. Life Orb is the item of choice here, as Minun needs all the power he can get. However, if you choose to invest some EVs into HP, Leftovers can be a viable option as well.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Timid Nature and 252 Speed EVs are necessary to get a speed tie with fellow Max Speed Base 95s, while 252 Special Attack EVs make Minun as strong as possible. Generally, maxing out Special Attack is important; since Minun is so weak, you need to make him as strong as possible for him to be doing damage. However, it's possible to transfer some EVs from Special Attack to HP if you want to make it easier to set up.</p>

(You can say you're doing a minor slippery slope here of some sorts. Making such a simple spread that doesn't require any explanations into this paragraph... I'll just slip the transfer HP mention into the next paragraph since it is saying "couple of other options" anyway so it can't hurt to move it. I've left the first set's EV description alone mostly because someone might doubt Minun's increased bulk from 252 HP and might just put them into SpA.)

<p>Minun has a couple of other options that he can use with decent results. Hidden Power Fighting can be used to hit strike Registeel and Steelix for decent damage, and while Grass Knot can be used is available to hit Rhyperior and Donphan harder than Hidden Power Ice. However, these attacks have worse overall coverage with Thunderbolt in comparison to Hidden Power Ice. Baton Pass is an option to scout for counters, and possibly Baton Pass a Nasty Plot boost to a partner, but Minun needs all the coverage he can get to sweep. You can also transfer some Special Attack EVs to HP if you want to make setting up a Nasty Plot somewhat easier.</p>

<p>Since Minun is so offensively weak even after a Nasty Plot, entry hazard massive amounts of (I'm just trying to include the U-turn and Dugtrio mention for this sentence. Feel free to lower the tone if needed.) support is almost necessary for Minun to sweep. Even then, the opponent's team still needs to be weakened for Minun to sweep. Omastar is a superb Spiker entry hazard supporter, (remove comma) and is bulky enough that has enough bulk to switch in multiple times during a match to set up entry hazards again if necessary. Qwilfish is also a decent option, as he can quickly set up a layer or two of Spikes before dying. Scyther and Swellow can both slowly weaken opposing walls with U-turn, which will gradually allow Minun to overcome these walls. Dugtrio is also a great teammate to trap and KO Chansey and Registeel, who which can easily sponge Minun's attacks.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Offensively, Minun enjoys powerful teammates that can either tear holes in the opposing team, allowing Minun or his Baton Pass recipient to sweep, or speedy Pokemon that can clean up after either Minun or his Baton Pass recipient have damaged the opposing team. Pokemon such as Alakazam, Rhyperior, and Aggron can easily rip open holes in the opposing team, while Choice Scarf Rotom and Moltres, and as well as Scyther can easily clean up the opponent's remaining Pokemon. While it's preferable to have Pokemon that can benefit from a Nasty Plot that has been Baton Passed to them boost, you may also want a couple of physically-oriented Pokemon to deal with resilient special sponges such as Chansey. Alternatively, you could simply use Dugtrio or a trapper of a similar manner to trap and KO such special sponges.</p>

<p>Minun is extremely weak, so entry hazard support is appreciated. Minun can also utilize the entry hazards in different ways other than for himself, from simply racking up damage via switches forced by Encore, or using them to bring opponents into KO range for his Baton Pass recipients. Omastar and Qwilfish are probably the most useful Spikers. Omastar, when used in the lead position, will often draw Grass Knots from the likes of Mesprit and Uxie. Since Minun is so light, he can switch into these attacks and Encore them before proceeding to set up. Qwilfish can simply set up a layer or two of Spikes while stopping opposing leads from getting up their hazards. Keeping entry hazards off your side of the field can be useful, since Minun needs every percent of his HP. Rapid Spinners, though not really necessary, can be useful due to this. Claydol, Donphan, and Hitmontop are all decent choices if you want to use a Rapid Spinner alongside Minun. Claydol is immune to Ground-type attacks, while both Donphan and Hitmontop both can deal with spinblockers that try to switch in. Claydol and Donphan also tend to lure in Milotic, which Minun can set up on.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Minun's movepool isn't particularly expansive, but it does have a couple of interesting options. Minun has access to Wish, and status moves in Sing and Thunder Wave. Since Minun also has access to moves like Baton Pass and Encore, he can pull off a support set. However, Minun's poor defenses make this a mediocre option. Fake Tears can be used, but for the most part Minun prefers Nasty Plot, since it's Baton Passable. Signal Beam is a special attack that Minun can use, but it has poor coverage alongside Thunderbolt. Minun could also attempt a gimmicky anti-lead set with Counter, Focus Sash, Counter, Encore, Thunderbolt, and Quick Attack; (semi-colon) with Counter to can KO physical leads, Encore to can trap a lead into Stealth Rock, and Quick Attack to can finish them Focus Sash leads off, but it's really just that - a gimmick. (backspace)</p>

[Counters]

<p>The main problem with dealing with Minun is Baton Pass. Baton Pass makes it so that it isn't just about dealing with Minun - it means you have to prevent Minun from passing the his boosts to something more deadly, or having have the ability to deal with the recipient. Because of this, the best counters to Minun are bulky phazers or Hazers. Venusaur with Roar can easily take anything Minun throws at it, and can use Roar to phaze Minun. Lanturn, Registeel, and Chansey are also good counters as they all take little damage from Minun's attacks, and can paralyze Baton Pass recipients with Thunder Wave. It should be noted that Minun is quite weak on his own, and for most of the time, dedicated special sponges aren't really necessary to deal with him.</p>

<p>Faster Pokemon can easily outspeed and KO Minun. In particular, Dugtrio is perhaps the best of these, since he can trap Minun with Arena Trap, and OHKO him with Earthquake. If a faster sweeper isn't available on your team, then priority is also a great way to take down Minun. Minun isn't exceedingly very bulky, so strong priority attacks should take him down, though some prior damage may need to be done ahead of time. Arcanine's ExtremeSpeed is a great example of this, and as it will easily KO any variant of Minun after some prior damage has been done.</p>

Scrolling through, it looks good. But... it's kinda odd. Half of the time, a paragraph is excellent. The other half, it's awkward/repetitive/has information that isn't relevant. It's mostly on the "introduction to the set" paragraphs that are awkward, though. This is still an excellent analysis so no biggie.

SilentVerse

Into the New World
Thanks for the GP Check Flora! I think the main reason this analysis was kinda inconsistent when it came to quality was because I wrote much of this at different times, which tends to hurt the flow / quality of my writing from past experiences. When I was writing the paragraphs that were cut out, I did notice that they were fairly repetitive, but I just kept them because I basically wanted to follow the format of my previous analysis's (which all have two paragraphs for Set Comments, so I thought I should do the same for this analysis). In any case, I'll be sure to watch out for that from now on.

Anyway, this is ready for GP Check 2!

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Although this isn't an official GP check, you can still glean some useful edits from my grammar check of your writing.

Add
Remove
Grammar
Comments

[Overview]
<p>Minun comes as the third generation's cute Electric-type mouse alongside Plusle. While no one can deny his captivating charm, his stats are unfortunately mediocre, and his movepool is nothing to write home about. Because of this, Minun is often forgotten in favor of other fast, specially-offensive Electric-types such as Raichu and Manectric. Still, Minun's access to the combination of Nasty Plot, Encore, and Baton Pass gives a good reason to use him over the competition. Minun might not seem too threatening at first glance, but underestimate him at your own peril, as it could result in a Pokemon sweeping through your team with the boosts Minun has passed.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set utilizes Minun's access to Encore and decent special bulk to make him an effective Nasty Plot Baton Passer. Nasty Plot and Baton Pass form the crux of this set, while as a Nasty Plot Baton Passer. Encore allows Minun to lock Pokemon such as Registeel into a harmless move like such as Stealth Rock, effectively giving Minun a free turn afterward to set up. Since Minun can't set up on moderately powerful attackers at all, even with defensive investments, Encore is often extremely important to obtain a Nasty Plot boot. Thunderbolt gives Minun a reliable attack, which prevents him from being completely useless if he gets Taunted, and does decent damage after a Nasty Plot, even without Special Attack investment.</p>

All of the changes I made above stem from overuse of a single phrase. Try to keep your wording varied; it keeps the reader from feeling like they're reading the same line over and over.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This EV spread is simple, but effective. A Timid nature and 252 Speed EVs are needed to tie with other max Speed base 95 Pokemon such as Houndoom. This can be important, as this gives Minun a 50% chance to Baton Pass the boost in a tight situation against them. 252 HP EVs boost Minun's overall bulk, and allow Minun to switch into a decent amount of weak special attacks. For example, this Minun will never be 2HKOed by 0 Special Attack Milotic's Surf, even after Stealth Rock. A more offensive spread can be used if you wish, but due to Minun's relatively poor defenses, he'll have an even harder time setting up than he does now.</p>

<p>As this set's main goal is to Baton Pass Nasty Plot boosts, appropriate Baton Pass recipients are naturally important. If possible, these Baton Pass recipients should also be able to deal with Ground-types. Therefore, Moltres, Mismagius, Rotom, and Sceptile can all be excellent partners, as they can benefit greatly from a Nasty Plot boost, and are immune or resistant to Ground-type attacks. All of these Pokemon pack incredible powerful after a Nasty Plot boost, and are fast enough to attempt a sweep.</p>

<p>Because both Minun and his Baton Pass recipients are specially-based, dedicated special sponges such as Chansey can pose problems. Even after a Nasty Plot boost, these Baton Pass recipients might still have a chance to be outstalled by Chansey. Dugtrio is a great choice to trap and KO Chansey. Users of U-turn such as Scyther and Swellow can also help weaken the opposing team, and scout for any Pokemon that may pose a problem to your Baton Pass recipient.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Minun is generally outclassed by other Electric-types when it comes to sweeping, he can still be a decent Nasty Plot sweeper. Nasty Plot is an excellent boosting move that can quickly boost Minun's sub-par Special Attack to a high level. Encore allows Minun to capitalize set up on support moves with ease, and it's almost a necessity for Minun to set up, since unlike the last set, there isn't any investment in defenses. Thunderbolt is Minun's main STAB attack, while Hidden Power Ice provides excellent coverage alongside it. Life Orb is the item of choice here, as Minun needs all the power he can get. However, if you choose to invest some EVs into HP, Leftovers can be a viable option as well.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Minun has a couple of other options that he can use with decent results. Hidden Power Fighting can be used to strike Registeel and Steelix for decent damage, while Grass Knot is available to hit Rhyperior and Donphan harder than Hidden Power Ice. However, these attacks have worse overall coverage with Thunderbolt in comparison to Hidden Power Ice. Baton Pass is an option to scout for counters, and possibly Baton Pass a Nasty Plot boost to a partner, but Minun needs all the coverage he can get to sweep. You can also transfer some Special Attack EVs to HP if you want to make setting up a Nasty Plot somewhat easier.</p>

<p>Since Minun is so offensively weak even after a Nasty Plot, massive amounts of support is are verb agreement with "amounts", not support almost necessary for Minun to sweep. Omastar is a superb entry hazard supporter that has enough bulk to switch in multiple times during a match to set up entry hazards again if necessary. Qwilfish is also a decent option, as he can quickly set up a layer or two of Spikes before dying. Scyther and Swellow can both slowly weaken opposing walls with U-turn, which will gradually allow Minun to overcome these walls. Dugtrio is also a great teammate to trap and KO Chansey and Registeel, both of which can easily sponge Minun's attacks.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Offensively, Minun enjoys powerful teammates that can either tear holes in the opposing team, allowing Minun or his Baton Pass recipient to sweep, or speedy Pokemon that can clean up after either Minun or his Baton Pass recipient have damaged the opposing team. Pokemon such as Alakazam, Rhyperior, and Aggron can easily rip open holes in the opposing team, while Choice Scarf Rotom and Moltres, as well as Scyther can easily clean up the opponent's remaining Pokemon. While it's preferable to have Pokemon that can benefit from a Nasty Plot boost, you may also want a couple of physically-oriented Pokemon to deal with resilient special sponges such as Chansey. Alternatively, you could simply use Dugtrio or a trapper of a similar manner to trap and KO such special sponges.</p>

<p>Minun is extremely weak, so entry hazard support is appreciated. Minun can also utilize the entry hazards in different ways other than for himself, from simply racking up damage via switches forced by Encore to , or using them to bring opponents into KO range for his Baton Pass recipients. Omastar and Qwilfish are probably the most useful Spikers. Omastar, when used in the lead position, will often draw Grass Knots from the likes of Mesprit and Uxie. Since Minun is so light, he can switch into these attacks and Encore them before proceeding to set up. Qwilfish can simply set up a layer or two of Spikes while stopping opposing leads from getting up their hazards. Keeping entry hazards off your side of the field can be useful, since Minun needs every percent of his HP. Rapid Spinners, though not really necessary, can be useful due to this. Claydol, Donphan, and Hitmontop are all decent choices if you want to use a Rapid Spinner alongside Minun. Claydol is immune to Ground-type attacks, while both Donphan and Hitmontop can deal with spinblockers that try to switch in. Claydol and Donphan also tend to lure in Milotic, which Minun can set up on.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Minun's movepool isn't particularly expansive, but he does have a couple of interesting options. Minun has access to Wish, and status moves in Sing and Thunder Wave. Since Minun also has access to moves like Baton Pass and Encore, he can pull off a support set; . however, Minun's poor defenses make this a mediocre option. Fake Tears can be used, but for the most part Minun prefers Nasty Plot, since it's Baton Passable. Signal Beam is a special attack that Minun can use, but it has poor coverage alongside Thunderbolt. Minun could also attempt a gimmicky anti-lead set with Focus Sash, Counter, Encore, Thunderbolt, and Quick Attack; Counter can KO physical leads, Encore can trap a lead into Stealth Rock, and Quick Attack can finish Focus Sash leads off, but it's really just that&mdash; - a gimmick.</p>

The &mdash; that I suggest using over the " - " is a bit of HTML coding that makes the correct version of the dash show up when this is eventually put on-site. Just make sure it looks like "that&mdash;a" with no spaces so it shows up correctly.

[Counters]

<p>The main problem with dealing with Minun is Baton Pass. Baton Pass makes it so that it isn't just about dealing with Minun&mdash; - it means you have to prevent Minun from passing his boosts to something more deadly, orhave the ability to deal with the recipient. Because of this, the best counters to Minun are bulky phazers. Venusaur with Roar can easily take anything Minun throws at it, and can use Roar to phaze Minun. Lanturn, Registeel, and Chansey are also good counters as they all take little damage from Minun's attacks, and can paralyze Baton Pass recipients with Thunder Wave. It should be noted that Minun is quite weak on his own, and most of the time, dedicated special sponges aren't really necessary to deal with him.</p>

<p>Faster Pokemon can easily outspeed and KO Minun. In particular, Dugtrio is perhaps the best, since he can trap Minun with Arena Trap, and OHKO him with Earthquake. If a faster sweeper isn't available on your team, then priority is also a great way to take down Minun. Minun isn't very bulky, so strong priority attacks should take him down, although some prior damage may need to be done ahead of time. Arcanine's ExtremeSpeed is a great example of this, as it will easily KO any variant of Minun after some prior damage has been done.</p>

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Well, Focus Sash would have to be AC material at best because of Stealth Rock/Spikes. We can't wholly recommended something that'd just get nullified by something as ubiquitous as entry hazards.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
GP CHECK 2/2

blue is additions
red is removals

[Overview]

<p>Minun comes as the third generation's cute Electric-type mouse alongside Plusle. While no one can deny his captivating charm, his stats are unfortunately mediocre, and his movepool is nothing to write home about. Because of this, Minun is often forgotten in favor of other fast, specially-offensive Electric-types such as Raichu and Manectric. Still, Minun's access to the combination of Nasty Plot, Encore, and Baton Pass gives a good reason to use him over the competition his competitors. Minun might not seem too threatening at first glance, but underestimate him at your own peril, as it could result in a Pokemon sweeping through your team with the boosts Minun has passed.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set utilizes Minun's access to Encore and decent special bulk to make him an effective Nasty Plot Baton Passer. Nasty Plot and Baton Pass form the crux of this set, while Encore allows Minun to lock Pokemon such as Registeel into a harmless move like Stealth Rock, effectively giving Minun a free turn afterward to set up. Since Minun can't set up on moderately powerful attackers even with defensive investments a defensive EV spread, Encore is often extremely important to obtain a Nasty Plot boot boost. Thunderbolt gives Minun a reliable attack, which prevents him from being completely useless if he gets Taunted, and does decent damage after a Nasty Plot, even without Special Attack investment.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This EV spread is simple, but effective. A Timid nature and 252 Speed EVs are needed to tie with other max Speed base 95 Pokemon such as Houndoom. This can be important, as this gives Minun a 50% chance to Baton Pass the boost in a tight situation against them. 252 HP EVs boost Minun's overall bulk, and allow Minun to switch into a decent amount of weak special attacks. For example, this Minun will never be 2HKOed by 0 Special Attack Milotic's Surf, even after Stealth Rock. A more offensive spread can be used if you wish, but due to Minun's relatively poor defenses, he'll have an even harder time setting up than he does now does with the above EV spread.</p>

<p>As this set's main goal is to Baton Pass Nasty Plot boosts, appropriate Baton Pass recipients are naturally important teammates. If possible, these Baton Pass recipients should also be able to deal with Ground-types. Therefore, Moltres, Mismagius, Rotom, and Sceptile can all be are all excellent partners, as they can benefit greatly from a Nasty Plot boost, and are immune or resistant to Ground-type attacks. All of these Pokemon pack incredible powerful after a Nasty Plot boost, and are fast enough to attempt a sweep.</p>

<p>Because both Minun and his Baton Pass recipients are specially-based, dedicated special sponges such as Chansey can pose problems. Even after a Nasty Plot boost, these Baton Pass recipients might still have a chance to be outstalled by Chansey. Dugtrio is a great choice to trap and KO Chansey. Users of U-turn U-turn users such as Scyther and Swellow can also help weaken the opposing team, and scout for any Pokemon that may pose a problem to your Baton Pass recipient.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Minun is generally outclassed by other Electric-types when it comes to sweeping, he can still be a decent Nasty Plot sweeper. Nasty Plot is an excellent boosting move that can quickly boost Minun's sub-par Special Attack to a high level. Encore allows Minun to capitalize on support moves with ease, and it's almost a necessity for Minun to set up, since unlike the last set, there isn't any investment in Minun's defenses. Thunderbolt is Minun's main STAB attack, while Hidden Power Ice provides excellent coverage alongside it. Life Orb is the item of choice, as Minun needs all the power he can get. However, if you choose to invest some EVs into HP, Leftovers can be a viable option as well.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Minun has a couple of other options that he can use with decent results. Hidden Power Fighting can be used to strike Registeel and Steelix for decent damage, while Grass Knot is available to hit Rhyperior and Donphan harder than Hidden Power Ice. However, these attacks have worse overall coverage with Thunderbolt in comparison to Hidden Power Ice. Baton Pass is an option to scout for counters, and possibly Baton Pass a Nasty Plot boost to a partner, but Minun needs all the coverage he can get to sweep in order to successfully sweep. You can also transfer some Special Attack EVs to HP if you want to make setting up a Nasty Plot somewhat easier.</p>

<p>Since Minun is so offensively weak even after a Nasty Plot boost, massive amounts of support are almost necessary for Minun to sweep. Omastar is a superb entry hazard supporter that has enough bulk to switch in multiple times during a match to set up entry hazards again if necessary. Qwilfish is also a decent option, as he can quickly set up a layer or two of Spikes before dying. Scyther and Swellow can both slowly weaken opposing walls with U-turn, which will gradually allow Minun to overcome these walls. Dugtrio is also a great teammate to trap and KO Chansey and Registeel, both of which can easily sponge Minun's attacks.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Offensively, Minun enjoys powerful teammates that can either tear holes in the opposing team, allowing Minun or his Baton Pass recipient to sweep, or speedy Pokemon that can clean up after either Minun or his Baton Pass recipient have damaged the opposing team. Pokemon such as Alakazam, Rhyperior, and Aggron can easily rip open holes in the opposing team smash through the opposition, while Choice Scarf Rotom and Moltres, as well as Scyther, can easily clean up the opponent's remaining Pokemon. While it's preferable to have Pokemon that can benefit from a Nasty Plot boost, you may also want a couple of physically-oriented Pokemon to deal with resilient special sponges such as Chansey. Alternatively, you could simply use Dugtrio or a trapper of a similar manner similar trapper to trap and KO such special sponges.</p>

<p>Minun is extremely weak, so entry hazard support is appreciated. Minun can also utilize the entry hazards in different ways other than for himself, from simply racking up damage via switches forced by Encore to using them to bring opponents into KO range for his Baton Pass recipients. Omastar and Qwilfish are probably the most useful Spikers. Omastar, when used in the lead position, will often draw Grass Knots from the likes of Mesprit and Uxie. Since Minun is so light, he can switch into these attacks and Encore them before proceeding to set up. Qwilfish can simply set up a layer or two of Spikes while stopping opposing leads from getting setting up their hazards. Keeping entry hazards off your side of the field can be useful, since Minun needs every percent of his HP all of his HP intact if he is aiming to sweep. Rapid Spinners, though not really necessary, can be useful due to this. Claydol, Donphan, and Hitmontop are all decent choices if you want to use a Rapid Spinner alongside Minun. Claydol is immune to Ground-type attacks, while both Donphan and Hitmontop can deal with spinblockers that try to switch in. Claydol and Donphan also tend to lure in Milotic, which Minun can set up on.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Minun's movepool isn't particularly expansive, but he does have a couple of interesting options. Minun has access to Wish and status moves in Sing and Thunder Wave. Since Minun also has access to moves like such as Baton Pass and Encore, he can pull off a support set; however, Minun's poor defenses make this a mediocre option. Fake Tears can be used, but for the most part Minun prefers Nasty Plot, Plot since it's Baton Passable. Signal Beam is a special attack that Minun can use, but it has poor coverage alongside Thunderbolt. Minun could also attempt a gimmicky anti-lead set with Focus Sash, Counter, Encore, Thunderbolt, and Quick Attack; Counter can KO physical leads, Encore can trap lock a lead into Stealth Rock, and Quick Attack can finish Focus Sash leads off, but it's really just that&mdash;a gimmick.</p>

[Counters]

<p>The main problem with dealing with countering Minun is Baton Pass. Baton Pass makes it so that it isn't just about dealing with Minun&mdash;it means you have to prevent Minun from passing his boosts to something more deadly, or have the ability to deal with the recipient. Because of this, the best counters to Minun are bulky phazers. Venusaur with Roar can easily take anything Minun throws at it, and can use Roar to phaze Minun. Lanturn, Registeel, and Chansey are also good counters as they all take little damage from Minun's attacks and can paralyze Baton Pass recipients with Thunder Wave. It should be noted that Minun is quite weak on his own, and most of the time, dedicated special sponges aren't really necessary to deal with him.</p>

<p>Faster Pokemon can easily outspeed and KO Minun. In particular, Dugtrio is perhaps the best, Dugtrio is particularly effective since he can trap Minun with Arena Trap and OHKO him with Earthquake. If a faster sweeper isn't available on your team, then priority is also a great way to take down Minun. Minun isn't very bulky, so strong priority attacks should take him down, although some prior damage may need to be done ahead of time. Arcanine's ExtremeSpeed is a great example of this, as it will easily KO any variant of Minun after some prior damage has been done a little residual damage.</p>

flora and xia hit this pretty well, so i'm just cleaning up!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)