Absol (Doom Trapper)

I have recently been working on a new Absol set designed to defeat walls and in general scare opponents. The set provides options to perish trap, as well as mean look pass. This absol cannot do direct damage always, but its wide range of crippling effect moves will trap the opponent and either perish it to death, or pass to a counter. In summary, this set will almost always beat a wall if switched into absol.

Wall Trapper

Absol w/ Leftovers

Ability- Pressure​

EV's
252 HP
252 SP DEF
4 SPE​

Moves-​

Mean Look
Taunt/ Perish Song
Night Slash/Swords Dance
Baton Pass​

Why this set deserves to be on-site:
  • Traps many pokemon and allows absol to set up on them in different ways depending on move choice.
  • Beats and outspeeds bulky walls like chansey, clefable, and registeel. Taunt also prevents them from statusing or healing.Can cripple special attackers and specs users because the EV spread allows Absol to take a hit and then pass to a counter.
  • With prediction, can cause the loss of a key player on the opposing team.
  • Aditional Comments:
  • Perish song allows Absol to force switches and cause immediate threat to your opponent, but you will be more vulnerable to walls.
  • Swords dance is passable, and also usable with sucker punch in last slot to kill the trapped pokemon yourself.
  • You can put some of the Special Defense EV's into Defense, but Absol benefits from resisting pokemon such as Alakazam and forcing them to make a decision, not knowing you can take their hits with ease.
Teammates and Counters:

Mismagius makes a great partner, resisting bug and fighting attacks, and being able to KO many of the pokemon to switch into Absol's mean look. Stealth rock is useful because it causes pokemon to think twice about switching in, especially moltres. Possibly the best user would be lead Dugtrio because it can also revenge kill many pokemon that may take out Absol, such as blaziken or any other ground-weakened sweepers.In addition, with taunt, very few pokemon can lay rocks against it. Taunters like ambipom will kill this set, and having a powerful pokemon to immediatly put them at threat, such as medicham, will help you out.

Feel free to suggest further changes. This is my first guide, and am hoping to get support with this. Feel free to test it and tell me how it went!

Happy Battling

Christopher Winter

I appreciate this is your first time posting an analysis but check here for how your analysis structure should look like and change accordingly.

Ok regarding the set, what you said about beating Registeel is very situational. It can cripple you with Thunder Wave..heck it can even use this Absol to set up Curse. Another important point is that if you see the common UU Pokemon used currently you'd rather invest all those Defense EVs into Special Defense since the majority of attacks that Absol resists are Specially based. This set looks quite interesting and I'll defiently test it out although I would personally use Taunt instead of Perish Song. That way you use bulky walls such as Chansey, Clefable and Registeel, Taunt them on the status move, trap them and maybe get a Swords Dance up before Baton Passing. Can you explain what the EV spread you gave Absol accomplishes, does it outpace specific threats?

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
some pretesting notes: perish song sounds like a terrible terrible idea on Absol. it doesn't really have an impressive defensive typing and it's really frail, so the odds of it living the 3 turns (4 with mean look) are not good. however, I do think this set has some merit as a Mean Look passer. Get rid of Perish Song, add Taunt in its place like Somalia said, and then make the main options in the last two Night Slash / Baton Pass. I'll test that set, and I'll bring back my results and a better EV spread. nice concept.

I agree with uragg, that Absol's far too frail to survive the whole Perish song. I enjoy the idea of a Mean Look Passer, sort of like a UU Umbreon, but Absol really isn't meant to stall for 3 turns.

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, I think that this set is unique and cool, but just not really useful enough to warrant its own set. The Mean Look + Baton Pass combo is mentioned already in Optional Changes in the Absol analysis on-site, and in my opinion that is where it should stay. Absol is much better off attacking, is incredibly frail, and doesn't have the Speed to make this set really effective. I do like the concept and the effort you put into this though, and I hope that you'll continue to contribute your ideas!

QC REJECTED 1/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)