Denchura (Placeholder, V2 WORK IN PROGRESS)

This is completely a placeholder for the electric spider, Denchura.

I am aware that there was a thread made for Denchura here however since it doesnt look as if it was approved and has not been touched in a while I would like to rewrite it for approval.

Denchura
[Overview]
<p>Denchura is one of the many fifth generation Pokemon sporting a unique type combination. Electric and Bug does cost Denchura a Stealth Rock weakness, however its dual STAB is resisted only by Pokemon such as Magnezone, Doryuuzu and Landlos. However these Pokemon can be dealt with by other moves in Denchura's decent special movepool. Combined with its ability Compoundeyes, its base 108 Speed and base 97 Special Attack, this allows Denchura to be a respectable special sweeper.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
ability: Compoundeyes
move 1: Thunder
move 2: Bug Buzz
move 3: Energy Ball/Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Volt Change/Charge Beam/Electra Ball
item: Choice Specs
nature: Modest/Timid
evs: 4Hp/252Sp.Atk/252Speed

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is one of Denchura's more effective sets, boosting its respectable Special Attack to much more impressive levels while relying on its higher-than-average base speed to outrun many of its competitors. Because of Compoundeyes, Denchura's most effective means of attacking is its 93% accurate Thunder, along with its 30% Paralysis rate. This allows Denchura to hit hard and stay fast. Bug Buzz is Denchura's secondary STAB move, which can cause quite a dent in the likes of Pokemon such as Hippowdon, which is immune to Thunder. Furthermore, it also allows Denchura to effectively hit Dark and Psychic types, like Sazandora, Zoroark and Rankurusu (the former two he outspeeds with a Timid nature and OHKOs with a Modest nature). The last two moveslots are your choice: For the first option, Energy Ball is a useful move to hit Swampert, as well as other Ground types like Mamoswine and Hippowdon. Hidden Power Ice on the other hand allows Denchura to hit a multitude of Dragons such as Ononokusu, Garchomp, Salamence and Crimgan. The final moveslot is another interesting choice. Volt Change, the U-Turn for Electric Types, is probably the best option because it allows Denchura to nail an opponent hard and then retreat to safety. Charge Beam is an option as well, with the very high chance of further boosting Denchura's Special Attack. Its PP is a bit small, however. Electra Ball is a final option, counting on Denchura's higher speed to smash many of the slower threats introduced in Black and White like Roopushin, Gigaiath, and Iwapaseru.</p>

[MODEST OR TIMID?]

<p> Denchura can run both Modest and Timid natures successfully. However, whichever one you choose can make an impact on Denchura's role on your team. Modest Denchura is the one to go to if you are not worried about being out sped by the likes of Speed+ nature Salamence or Garchomp. This allows Denchura to hit harder but still outspeed many Attack+ natured Pokemon, including the aforementioned Dragons. If you do want Denchura to be able to Outspeed the Speed+ Dragons, however, then Timid is the nature to use. Running a Timid nature also increases Electra Ball's power, so that is the best option for your final moveslot if you choose Timid.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
ability: Compoundeyes
move 1: Electra Ball
move 3: Volt Change
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Timid
evs: 4HP / 252Sp.Atk / 252Speed

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set is similar to the one above, being another Choice Item set. However, the main attacking option on this set is Electra Ball, which will have an impressive base power when used in conjunction with a Timid nature, STAB and Choice Scarf. Bug Buzz is as always your most powerful Bug-Type STAB and should be used as needed, against Psychic types with high Speed. Volt Change should be used to escape from your opponent upon a bad switch-in, though bear in mind it will not work against Ground-Types. The last moveslot is reserved for Hidden Power Ice, which allows Denchura to not only hit Dragons like Salamence and Garchomp, but also Ground-Types like Hippowdon or Landlos, who would love to come in on a Volt Change and set up Stealth Rock and Swords Dance, respectively.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p></p>

[SET]
name:
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
item:
nature:
evs:

[SET COMMENTS]
<p></p>

<p></p>

<p></p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p></p>

[Team Options]
<p>Denchura's biggest problems are its frailty and the fact that is is affected by entry hazards. Therefore, Pokemon that use Light Screen, Reflect and Rapid Spin are some of its most valuable teammates. Some possible options include</p>

<p></p>

<p></p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>One of Denchura's problems is what Hidden Power type to use, if it decides to carry it. Hidden Power Ice seems almost immediately to be the better option, hitting Dragons, Landlos, Hippowdon and many others for coverage other moves in Denchura's movepool can't offer. On the other hand, Hidden Power Ground allows Denchura to nail Magnezone, a Pokemon which resists any other attack Denchura can carry. It also allows Denchura to hit Metagross, Doryuuzu and Heatran (post-Balloon).</p>

[Counters]
<p>Being a frail little bug, Denchura can be heavily damaged by hard-hitting attacks like Earthquake, Brave Bird, etc. Hippowdon loves coming in on a Choiced Electric attack to set up Sandstorms risk-free, followed by the inevitable Landlos or Doryuuzu having similar pleasures with Swords Dance. Fire types like Heatran and Infernape can have a fun time coming in on Choiced Bug Buzzes then returning with a Fire Blast or Flamethrower. As always, Blissey (and now its younger version Chansey, with an Evolution Stone) can absorb Denchura's attacks like no tomorrow and can Seismic Toss away. Denchura without Hidden Power Ground is heavily troubled by Magnezone, who resists both of its STABs, as well as every other move in its arsenal, and can 2HKO with Hidden Power Fire.</p>

[Dream World]
<p>Denchura's Dream World Ability, Swarm, is better than Tension but worse than Compoundeyes. It is possible to run a Swarm Denchura with Substitute/Bug Buzz/Electra Ball/Hidden Power Ice, however it would be difficult due to the lack of pinch Berries to give it that extra boost when it needs it, its frailty, as well as the fact that it is effected by every entry hazard.</p>

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I think Electra Ball would hit harder with Timid on the first set, and other than that it allows it to outspeed Jolly Chomp who will take heavy damage from HP ice.

You mention Magnezone as a Pokemon that can resist your STAB attacks, then say that Denchura's move-pool makes that a non-issue (paraphrasing here). Problem is, NONE of the sets can hit Magnzone Super Effectively with any of their attacks. In fact, all the sets are completely resisted by Magnezone. You might want to mention (in Other Options perhaps) that Hidden Power [Ground] hits Magnezone and Doryuzu (bar Balloon on either one), but leaves you open against Landlos.

I would like to thank everyone so far for their help. However bear in mind this is still a work in progress and is NOT FINISHED. I still need to verify and ensure the... accuracy all of my statistics (like compoundeyes, which as it turns out is multiplicative) but I will be more than happy to take further suggestions once I am finished.

To address current issues:
@Forte: True. I'll be sure to fix that. Should I put HP Ground as another option, maybe?
@Steeli: That is an option, however I thought it would be better suited for the choice scarf set since it works like Gyro Ball in reverse, meaning that the higher your speed is the more damage it does. Outspeeding Chomp sounds nice, too.
@imperfectluck: Fixed. Sorry about that.

I would de-slash Electra Ball on Specs, or Slash Timid if you're going to go that route. Hidden Power [Ground] doesn't need to be slashed, but it deserves at least a mention.

I would de-slash Electra Ball on Specs, or Slash Timid if you're going to go that route. Hidden Power [Ground] doesn't need to be slashed, but it deserves at least a mention.
I'll move HP Ground to "Optional Changes". Timid is now an option with a small paragraph explaining benefits. Necessary?

I'll move HP Ground to "Optional Changes". Timid is now an option with a small paragraph explaining benefits. Necessary?
I think so, seeing as, if Gen IV has taught us anything about speed-ties, to always be running +Spe nature. I personally think it should be Timid/Modest, but I've always preferred Speed first, over power.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Maybe a lead set of ElecNet, Bug Buzz, Thunder and Volt Change can work. ElecNet first, then you outspeed everything and neutralyze Sash, and KO with the appropriate move or scout (a bit like Icy Wind Gengar)

Is there a possible and effective set for an annoyer type of role?

I remember a t-wave, toxic, and the move called spider web that is basically a bug's mean look in Denchura's movepool irc.

I know his health is probably going to cause him problems but you never know ^^.

Maybe a lead set of ElecNet, Bug Buzz, Thunder and Volt Change can work. ElecNet first, then you outspeed everything and neutralyze Sash, and KO with the appropriate move or scout (a bit like Icy Wind Gengar)
My lead has max speed, s.atk, timid, focus sash.
ElecNet
Thunder
Bug Buzz
Hidden power ice.

HP gets a lot of surprise KOs on things like Gliscor, the genie and pretty much every dragon.

Volt change just means a free switch in for ground types. Since a lot won't take much from bug buzz. Worth a slash. I'm no expert but that set has been working really well for me lately.

I really question the viability of Electra Ball. Nowadays, lots of Pokemon equips Scarf, and many of them are as fast as, almost as fast as, or faster than Denchura. Also, Denchura's greatest asset is Compoundeyes Thunder. Electrode generally uses it Electra Ball better, as well as Speed boosting sweepers.

sucker punch could be used on both the specs and scarf set to pick of weakened pokemon that are faster like lati@s and scarf shanderaa, just run a hasty or naive nature and put 4 EVs in attack.

Electric and Bug does cost Denchura a Stealth Rock weakness, however its dual STAB is resisted only by Pokemon such as Magnezone, Doryuuzu and Landlos
Little nitpick - Steelix also resists this STAB combination.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Since you appear to have taken Denchura from me, I feel obliged to weigh in on this analysis for a start.

• Electra Ball should not be even considered on the analysis unless you are telling somebody why you shouldn't use it. The reason for this is that, because of the way its damage is calculated, Compoundeyes Thunder will ALWAYS hit for either more or the same amount of damage, and with a paralysis chance as well. The only times Denchura will hit for more power with Electra Ball, assuming Timid Choice Specs, would be against random stuff like Trick Room Dusknoir - the only common things that would be hit for more damage would be Nattorei and Snorlax, both of whom are taking essentially nothing from your STAB attacks anyway. With Choice Scarf, the disadvantage is less; however, you are still only hitting really slow stuff (as in > base 40) for more damage. In short, Denchura has really bad 4MSS, so don't make it worse.
  • Timid should ALWAYS be the primary nature for everything but the Choice Scarf set. You simply have to be able to outrun the clustered 100 mark, if you don't you're in trouble.
  • Choiced Electric-types don't really work that well with all the Nattorei and Doryuuzu and every other foul thing running around. This doesn't mean I think you should get rid of them, but Unlike Jolteon, Denchura has pretty fantastic type coverage, so a Life Orb set would naturally lend itself to the fore. Personally my favourite set is:

[SET]
    name: Life Orb
    move 1: Thunder
    move 3: Energy Ball
    move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
    item: Life Orb
    evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    nature: Timid / Modest

One of the big advantages of Denchura is that it can use Hidden Power Fire without compromising its ability against Ground-types. Energy Ball and Bug Buzz together pretty much take out the entire lot. As far as Hidden Power Fire is concerned, I would consider it almost essential to beat Nattorei, and hitting Magnezone, Doryuuzu, Steelix, and Scizor doesn't hurt much either. In contrast Hidden Power Ice only really helps against Garchomp, and even then Bug Buzz is a 2HKO anyway, and you are faster. Still, worth an option.
  • As mentioned previously, Sucker Punch is worth mentioning on any mixed set, as priority is a very important commodity, especially since you get a super effective hit on Starmie, Lati@s, and Gengar.
  • Not really relevant to the content, but you may want to try to touch up the grammar and prose a little bit, as much of it doesn't conform to Smogon's standards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)