Espeon (Analysis)

qc checks: iconic | bad ass | PK Gaming
gp checks: Chou Toshio | Flora/zdrup15

Espeon

------

[Overview]

<p>While Espeon was previously overshadowed by Alakazam and other Psychic-type attackers, Dream World has granted her one of the best abilities in the game: Magic Bounce. This ability acts like a permanent Magic Coat, which received an upgrade to reflect back most non-attacking moves, and is only shared by Natu and Xatu. Thus, Magic Bounce Espeon makes an excellent switch-in to predictable entry hazard users, both preventing hazards from being set on Espeon's side of the field, and bouncing them onto the opponent's. In addition to this, Espeon has an excellent base 130 Special Attack and 110 Speed, as well as decent defenses, and a passable movepool. However, her low base Defense means Espeon must be very wary of switching in on physical attacks.</p>

[SET]
name: Dual Screens
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Hidden Power Fighting / Hidden Power Ground / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Psychic / Psyshock
item: Light Clay
ability: Magic Bounce
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Espeon's high base Speed and decent bulk on the special side make it very effective at setting up screens. The goal of this set is to set up Reflect and/or Light Screen, and then switch out to a sweeper who appreciates the 50% defense boosts. In addition to the setup, Magic Bounce means Espeon can switch in on Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Forretress and reflect moves such as Spikes and Stealth Rock, making it easier for the sweeper to KO opposing Pokemon. It should be noted that it is usually best to use Reflect before Light Screen, as Espeon's base 60 Defense is bound to draw in physical attacks (as well as Pursuit users).</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread on this set is fairly simple: the 252 HP EVs attempt to remedy Espeon's lack of overall bulk, while the max Speed EVs allow Espeon to tie with other base 110 Pokemon. The last 4 points are placed in Espeon's weaker defensive stat. However, an alternate EV spread of 252 HP / 60 Def / 192 Spe allows Espeon to outspeed Jolly Garchomp and set up a Reflect, and has more overall bulk, but Espeon will be outsped by with the common base 108 Speed Pokemon. Lastly, it's worth noting that if Hidden Power Fire or Fighting is the chosen attack for the third slot, Espeon loses a Speed IV that puts her behind other base 110 Pokemon, and, in that case, 8 EVs can be moved from Speed to Defense, while still outspeeding base 108 Speed Pokemon.</p>

<p>Speaking of Hidden Power choices, the type is dependent on which Pokemon you wish to hit: Hidden Power Ground and Fire have similar coverage but Ground hits Rock- and Fire-type Pokemon, whereas Fire is a silver bullet aimed at Scizor, Forretress, and Ferrothorn. Hidden Power Fighting is notable for hitting the Dark-type Pokemon such as Tyranitar who otherwise fear nothing from Espeon. In the second slot, Psychic and Psyshock are both equally viable options. The former allows Espeon to hit physical boosters like Conkeldurr harder, but the ladder hits special walls for superior damage.</p>

<p>Regarding teammates for this set, frail boosting Pokemon such as Haxorus, Infernape, or Lucario really appreciate the defensive boost granted by Reflect and Light Screen when setting up for a sweep. Lucario especially has excellent type synergy with Espeon, and can nab a free Attack boost if it switches in on a Crunch. In general, Pokemon who appreciate the lack of Stealth Rock, such as Volcarona and Gyarados, also make excellent partners to Espeon.</p>

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psyshock / Psychic
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
ability: Magic Bounce
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As is the case with all Espeon sets, Magic Bounce is the main reason to use this set over other offensive Pokemon with better typing and movepools. However, this set is more than capable of providing decent offensive pressure. Psyshock is a reliable STAB attack and provides far more mileage against special walls such as Blissey and Snorlax, but Psychic has 15 more Base Power and hits physically bulky Pokemon much harder. The other two moves, Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting, provide perfect neutral coverage alongside each other. Shadow Ball hits the Psychic- and Ghost-type threats to Espeon, while Hidden Power dents the Steel- and Dark-type Pokemon who would otherwise wall her.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Espeon's shallow movepool does contain other alternatives to this set. Hidden Power Ground and Grass Knot are viable replacements to Hidden Power Fighting, as Hidden Power Ground hits Jirachi and Metagross harder than any other attack, while Grass Knot hits the heavier walls for solid damage. Unfortunately, both leave Espeon vulnerable to Dark-types, especially Hydreigon and Tyranitar.</p>

<p>As with Espeon's other sets, a less speedy but more bulky EV spread can be considered. The spread of 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe lets Espeon switch in a bit more, at the cost of only outspeeding base 100 enemies. Alternatively, Espeon can drop some Special Attack EVs in order to invest in more bulk.</p>

<p>Espeon's ability provides invaluable support for her team, and thus any Pokemon who have issues switching into entry hazards, such as Stealth Rock or Toxic Spikes greatly appreciate being used alongside Espeon. In addition to this, Dark-type attacks are commonly used against Espeon, so using a bulky Fighting-type like Machamp or Conkeldurr to switch in on these attacks is especially useful. Also, since Espeon has difficulties damaging Steel-types heavily, Magnezone or strong Fire-types like Heatran make it easier for her to sweep.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Espeon's offensive prowess may lead you to believe that she makes an effective Choice Specs or Scarf user. However, her shallow movepool means that these sets usually run intro trouble when trying to deal with threats like Scizor or Tyranitar, and are forced to use Hidden Power to deal with them. Unfortunately, only one Hidden Power is available per set, which means that a fully offensive Espeon will always have troubles getting past multiple counters. If one wishes to bluff a Choice item but still switch attacks, Espeon can run a 4-attack set with an Expert Belt, but loses a lot of power compared to Life Orb wielding sets. One of Espeon's other offensive options, Substitute, can be used to ease prediction at the cost of 25% of her health. This is usually less effective than Calm Mind because Espeon loses a lot of health and lacks boosting.</p>

<p>Espeon can forgo Magic Bounce in order to use some of her nifty egg moves, such as Wish and Baton Pass. However, the main reason to use Espeon on a team is to abuse Magic Bounce to gain free entry hazards and keep your side of the field clear of them, and without it Espeon is simply an outclassed special attacker.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Again, Espeon's shallow movepool means she can only deal with one threat per set. Scizor is an excellent counter to any Espeon not carrying Hidden Power Fire, as it can Pursuit to catch her switching out, or use STAB Bug-type attacks to OHKO her. Tyranitar can switch in on anything save the rare Signal Beam or Hidden Power Fighting, and threaten a KO with Pursuit or Crunch. Bulkier Pursuiters such as Metagross can deal with Espeon lacking the appropriate coverage move well. </p>

<p>Since Espeon needs to switch in on an entry hazard user to be most effective, a good way to take her out is to feint a setup with a Pokemon such as Metagross or Heatran, and catch Espeon on the switch with a powerful Meteor Mash or Fire Blast. Foretress and Ferrothorn, two Pokemon who rarely do much besides set up entry hazards, can both smack Espeon with a high Base Power Gyro Ball.</p>

Psycho Shock is usually better anyways, considering that it does a shitton more to Blissey. Oh wait though, Roobushin doesn't die to Psycho Shocks. Maybe I'll end up slashing them.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
i think that wish should be mentioned somewhere in the analysis. i've been running an espeon set on my stall team with mild success:

espeon @ leftovers
nature: timid
evs: 252 HP / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
- psychic
- wish
- baton pass / protect
- substitute

thanks to magic mirror, espeon finds a niche on stall teams as it can prevent set-up while simeltaneously passing wishes to its teammates (and healing itself). i don't think that this warrants its own set, but i do believe that a mention of it should be made in optional changes.

Unfortunately, all the eevees from the event have been male so getting wish on espeon is currently impossible.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
In addition, Wish is now based on the user's HP- the amount of health Wish restores is equal to one-half of the maximum HP. Espeon's HP only maxes out at 334 (base 65), so it might not be too viable to use.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Unfortunately, all the eevees from the event have been male so getting wish on espeon is currently impossible.
i've played with wish espeon multiple times on PO, so i wasn't aware of this. in any event, wish espeon appears to be just fine on simulator play.

and yeah limewire, that's why i think that wish should only be mentioned in optional changes; due to espeon's low HP, it isn't super viable.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
i've played with wish espeon multiple times on PO, so i wasn't aware of this. in any event, wish espeon appears to be just fine on simulator play.

and yeah limewire, that's why i think that wish should only be mentioned in optional changes; due to espeon's low HP, it isn't super viable.
Oops. I need to learn to read instead of skimming posts >_<

Psycho Shock is usually better anyways, considering that it does a shitton more to Blissey. Oh wait though, Roobushin doesn't die to Psycho Shocks. Maybe I'll end up slashing them.
I can't see Roobushin switching into/staying in on Espeon, but most common phazers seem to be mixed or physical. Psycho Shock seems to be more useful for the likely switch-ins once you start Calm Minding up, Psychic seems to be more useful to the phazers that want in once you reveal BPass.

Depends on which you want to hit harder.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Espeon is bulkier and more powerful than Xatu and Espeon isn't cursed by weaknesses to 3 common attacks.

Anyway, I've been using a Duel Screen set. with Balanced Defenses.
Bold @ Light Clay
252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SpD
Psychic
Light Screen
Reflect
Filler

My Filler is Hidden Power (Fire) for Scisor

It may or may not be worth mentioning that this Espeon likes having that new Poison Heal Gliscor in the team if the Espeon has Psycho Shock over Psychic.
Since it will struggle with Roobushin's high defense, I've found that Poison Heal Gliscor switches into Roobushin quite well.
I haven't actually tried these two on a team together, but I have found Gliscor to be handy against Roobushin.

It may or may not be worth mentioning that this Espeon likes having that new Poison Heal Gliscor in the team if the Espeon has Psycho Shock over Psychic.
Since it will struggle with Roobushin's high defense, I've found that Poison Heal Gliscor switches into Roobushin quite well.
I haven't actually tried these two on a team together, but I have found Gliscor to be handy against Roobushin.
Sure, I'll mention that.

I think a dual screen set needs to be mentioned

Espeon@Leftovers
Ability: Magic Mirror
Nature: Timid
Evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Speed or something i'm not too sure about the ev spread
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Psychic/Psycho Shock
-Filler

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Assist power on the calm minder please. After two calm minds it's espys most powerful STAB option.

No calm minds: 20
One calm mind: 60
Two calm minds: 100
Three calm minds: 140
Four calm minds: 180
Five calm minds: 220
Six calm minds: 260

1436 special attack and a 390 base power attack. Needs to be an option.

No, it was eevee and all eeveelutions. (From the dw thread)
That information is incorrect.
This image shows that the focus of the campaign was Eevee's evolutions (イーブイの進化形), not Eevee. The whole idea was that, upon completion of the Ultimate Labyrinth summer game, the player would receive one of Eevee's evolutions that corresponds to the type of the first Pokémon that the player chose, i.e. I received Espeon because I started with Ralts.
Furthermore, nowhere else has there been a report of someone receiving an Eevee from the Daisuki Club promotion.

Thus, until we get DW Eevee or DW Ditto for breeding purposes, Baton Pass/Wish/etc. MM Espeon is (unfortunately) unobtainable.

EDIT: Assist Power, an Egg Move, is also unavailable to MM Espeon. :/

Assist power on the calm minder please. After two calm minds it's espys most powerful STAB option.

No calm minds: 20
One calm mind: 60
Two calm minds: 100
Three calm minds: 140
Four calm minds: 180
Five calm minds: 220
Six calm minds: 260

1436 special attack and a 390 base power attack. Needs to be an option.
And when was the lst time you seen Espeon get more than two Calm Minds. Its not like he has amazing defences, adequate but not amazing. Most of the time, you get 1 beause they switched to their counter. Then you end up Batoon Passing nd pray they are not faster.

The real question is how many calm minds does he need to beat Roobishin with Psycho Shock. If it is 1, then Psycho Shock all the way. If more, than Psychic is better since it will still kill all the those fighting types.

It's moot. Assist Power is incompatible with Magic Mirror, and no reasonable person would choose AP over MM.

Signal Beam merits an OO mention, but do note that it's incompatible with Magic Mirror.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)