2016/17 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
The US just sacked Klinsmann. Despite the poor quality of the players (Bradley, Jones, Guzan / Howard, Altidore being better players in that team), he still managed to consistently punch above his weight; got out of the group of death in the last world cup and finished 4th in the Copa America. What's so bad about that? Are they so obsessed about losing 2 games away against Mexico and Costa Rica?
Not true. Aside from the World Cup, Klinsmann's results with the USMNT were below average, as we can see from this chart:

(football ELO rating, basically a better version of FIFA's ranking)

So it's not hard to see that Klinsmann didn't improve the team much on the field, and his tactical prowess had always been questioned long before he joined the USMNT, so it was no surprise to see him struggle to find a properly working system for the team. I also think that the Copa America result was fairly fortunate, as the team did not perform well in the tournament, but a combination of easy opponents and crucial luck carried them to the semifinals. Anyway, the main selling point of Klinsmann was, as you guys said, the out of field stuff. Trying to renovate the technology and methods to train players, and of course, trying to get players like Pulisic or Johnson to join the squad. However, once he had done his job in that regard, they probably don't deem him necessary anymore, as the results on the field have been below par.

It's likely that they also want to have a better tactical manager now that the US have the best player ever born in America (Christian Pulisic), as it would be terrible to see his talent gone to waste.

How is that Elo measured, exactly? If we only look at big tournaments like the WC or CA, it was pretty decent. Friendlies and qualifiers are for them to test and experiment with tactics, no?

The tactical problem could be boiled down to the fact that we don't have a good central midfield and need to find ways around it. Both Jones and Bradley are now playing MLS which doesn't help you against any decent opponents. And then Altidore decided that instead of doing well back in Holland and trying something other than Sunderland, he was going to play against much easier competition in the MLS. Dempsey has been the only good star who hasn't severely declined since moving to the MLS, Donovan decided he was going to be a spoiled basket case before the world cup and afterwards as well which doesn't help. Bedoya recently moved out of the French first division which is a terrible mistake, Besler and Zusi both had offers to go abroad after the 2014 world cup and stayed which helps no one, Morris I have mentioned before with Bremen. Kljestan was doing well in belgium and came back although he worked his way into the squad so I can't fully rip on him yet. Omar Gonzalez could be replaced by a cone and nobody would know the difference. Diskerud was doing well in Norway, not great but could have jumped off into somewhere like belgium or holland, but chose to be a role player for Villa and Pirlo at NYCFC. Brek Shea struggled in England and didn't feel like trying anything else. Feilhaber is a little cry baby who can't make it at the international level and whines about it to the press. Perry Kitchen could probably step into the midfield in a year or two considering how well he is doing in Scotland, Hyndman just moved to Bournemouth in the prem, Pulisic is working well in Dortmund, Green in Bayern is improving in the squad. Agudelo was suppose to be the next big thing then just disappeared for a year. We have an 18 year old defender at tottenham which could work out in the future, Gooch at sunderland is only 20, Miazga is 21 and is probably in Chelsea's future plans, Arriola is 21 and playing in Mexico but can move if needed, Terrance Boyd should be getting big soon since he is playing with Leipzig, Rubio Rubin is only 20 and plays for Twente, got a 23 year old at Fortuna Dusseldorf and a 21 year old forward in mexico. Klinsmann could have been the guy to slowly ease the new talent in and get rid of the old guard but instead we are left with Arena who thinks players outside of MLS shouldn't represent their national team. It was a giant mistake

Monaco is really good. Also Bayer Leverkusen need to take their chances better, two draws against CKSA Moscow came down to it pretty much, but either way they're through so that's enough for now.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
How is that Elo measured, exactly? If we only look at big tournaments like the WC or CA, it was pretty decent. Friendlies and qualifiers are for them to test and experiment with tactics, no?
The system is weighted to give more importance to World Cup / Copa America games, then qualifiers, then friendlies. A world cup game is worth 3x a friendly, Copa America is 2.5x, qualifiers 2x. Still, even if friendlies are to test and experiment, it's not like the USMNT only plays friendlies now, they always have, so not sure how that can be much of a factor, especially because there are more qualifier games that are weighted more by the system. Also, the US team has had good performances in the World Cup for a long time, that's not exclusive to Klinsmann's stint.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Two minutes of that game was Kagawa contributing more in those minutes than Götze has the entire season
Not sure what you mean, Götze has been amazing all season, it's just that he's a less flashy player now than what he was in his previous stint at Dortmund. I'd say he's better now than some years ago, even if he scores less.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Does anyone else feel like this Arsenal is the worst we've seen since Wenger took charge? Other years injuries and all kinds of in-game bad luck have plagued Arsenal, nullifying what otherwise were really solid teams. However, this season it has been the opposite so far, Arsenal has been extremely underwhelming, and only good luck in their important games (vs PSG twice and ManU) has allowed them to still be in a respectable position in all competitions. However, just looking at performances alone, this is the first time in the Wenger era that Arsenal doesnt look like a top4 team (they honestly look like the 6th best team at most, though if Southampton converts their play into results they might even be better too). Now, I suppose the increased competition on the Premier League this year is a factor, but this is also the highest budget lineup Arsenal has had in quite a while (since they won the league, I'd say), and they aren't looking too hot either against the weak teams.

I mean, maybe I'm overreacting and Wenger will be able to steady the ship, but this is the year I'm less excited about Arsenal since forever. At least other years the team was good so I could hope on 'no injuries pls and they might even win'. This time I actually fear they might end in the 5th-6th place.

Haven't watched Arsenal much but they have had their fair share of injuries too. Cazorla and Bellerin are big misses. Ramsey couldn't recapture the form he showed for Wales while Ozil has been underwhelming. Xhaka is slowly being integrated into the team. I would think squad morale is low too (shown by Giroud not celebrating much despite scoring an injury-time equaliser).

Brazil Chapecoense football team in Colombia plane crash
http://trib.al/nL7QkYG

This team is from my state. They are a traditionally small team from a 250k populated city who managed to climb their way to the top flight and remain there for the last three years, reaching the Sudamericana final (it is our version of Europa League). They built their success in serious and hard work, relying mostly on athletes of nearby states and of unremarkable fame. I believe the only player most of you will know is Cleber Santana.
I even watched them playing my local team last year... My brother was going to watch the final. Everyone in Brazil is crushed by this happening. In sports terms, I hope they manage to overcome this tragedy and remain the exemplary club they've been of late. There'll be no lack of supporters.
FORÇA CHAPE!!!

Luna

journey before destination
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was just going to post that. Literally the biggest tragedy in football, 75 deaths and 9 injureds from more than 80 people... gosh I'm so sad.
#ForçaChape

Last edited:

GOAO

Banned deucer.
you guys prob dont know chape's history. it's so FUCKING cool.... team was created in 72, got in the 4th division just in 2009 and now was in south american cup finals, while doing a great job in brazilian league.... bruno rangel (biggest scorer of chape's history) discovered his wife was pregnant on the 23rd... this team didnt deserve taht
#forçachape

I remember when Chape was in the 4th division of brazilian football just a few years ago. They went all the way to the 1st division in 4 years and they never got relegated. They were always showing their strength against the biggest teams in brazilian football and they were almost unbeatable when playing at Chapecó. They became stronger and stronger as the years passed, and when they finally reach the top, this happens. They were our Leicester. I'm devastated and I believe so are all brazilian football fans.
Football is not the most important thing rn, but I hope Conmebol gives Chapecoense the Sudamericana title just so they get a Libertadores spot and use the money to rebuild their team and help the victims' families. Atletico Nacional already got a spot anyway and I believe they already said they are fine with that.
#ForçaChape

Last edited:
My heart goes out to those affiliaed with Chapecoense. A devastating tragedy. I do not know a lot about the team (I've seen some highlights of I think Danilo's the name of the keeper a year back or so) but that hardly matters. A club has fans hurting, the players have families hurting. I hope the Sudamericana title is gifted to the team. And after reading about their journey just today, from the bottom to the top, it's like a Jamie Vardy story just with a whole team instead.

I also expect games around the world to have a moment of respect for the team.

My heart goes out to the families and communities of Chape, it's a terrible tragedy for everyone and for football :( there are too many tragedies in the world lately!

In most of cases, we as individuals are just like Chapecoense.
We are not protagonists of anything, and yet we struggle, we keep fighting to achieve bigger things. Those players did and were living the dream.

As a Brazilian born and raised in Santa Catarina, the state in which Chapecoense is based, this week is being awful. But I'm 100% certain that they will overcome this. The city embraced those players and the club as a whole and soon Chape will be on top again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)