Battle Maison Discussion & Records

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Focus Sash Gengar (and Sashes in general) - I found Sash Gengar really annoying. Sawsbuck couldn't do much against it in the first place, and I have to double team it to avoid it taking Sawsbuck out with Focus Blast, leaving me open to whatever its partner is. Sashes in general often resulted in this problem.
Er, none of the Maison Gengar sets have Focus Blast, no need to worry about that. Granted, Gengar4 is still a threat to Sawsbuck, but not for that reason. I will agree that Gengar1 is an annoyance though--the existence of Hypnosis alone means that, even in Doubles/Triples/Multis, where it is far less effective, it has to be ganged up on quickly.

Er, none of the Maison Gengar sets have Focus Blast, no need to worry about that. Granted, Gengar4 is still a threat to Sawsbuck, but not for that reason. I will agree that Gengar1 is an annoyance though--the existence of Hypnosis alone means that, even in Doubles/Triples/Multis, where it is far less effective, it has to be ganged up on quickly.
Perhaps I'm getting confused with another 'mon... Either way, I found it annoying to play against!

Smuckem

Has anyone else run into the issue where they have bad luck and therefore don't have the substitute tm in or/as?

I have 500+ hours on my OR game, I try to check the island every day and I still haven't run into the one with substitute.

It drives me nuts. There are several Pokemon I'd like to use in singles (mega Salamence, mega Gyarados, gliscor, etc) but I'd need to switch between my x game to teach them sub every time and that gets time consuming.
Was curious as to an update on this--still having trouble here? Perhaps I can start doing the SpotPass thing on the regular again, catch this Mirage Island and pass it along to you somehow. It would suck if your Maison progress was still being slowed down by this unfortunate run of bad luck.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Am throwing this question out to the community, am having a bit of an item conflict.

Inspired by the Battle Factory guide being resurrected from the dead recently, I have been in the process of breeding for Imperfect Electivire34. Set 4 is just about finished (non-31 SDef IVs, 0 SAtk IVs) and just needs to be evolved; I will absolutely be integrating this into my teams in the future, as I have always loved elemental punch coverage sets and am determined to make this one useful. My problem right now is with Set 3; given what the Maison throws at you, modeling it after the Subway/Maison version would be obvious (way too much Earth Power and Earthquake around), but modeling it after the Frontier version would give it the extra punch needed to turn it from a mediocre set to a decent one. Item Clause would play a factor in this, of course, but as of right now, an Imperfect Electivire3 would not clash with either of my main teams item-wise.

So, I am trying to decide...Wise Glasses or Air Balloon?

Last edited:
Ok soooo I'm redoing my team and I can't decide if I should run Substitute or Icy Wind on a Suicune, and if I should do Leftovers or a Chesto Berry. The other moves are Scald, Rest, and Calm Mind

Was curious as to an update on this--still having trouble here? Perhaps I can start doing the SpotPass thing on the regular again, catch this Mirage Island and pass it along to you somehow. It would suck if your Maison progress was still being slowed down by this unfortunate run of bad luck.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Am throwing this question out to the community, am having a bit of an item conflict.

Inspired by the Battle Factory guide being resurrected from the dead recently, I have been in the process of breeding for Imperfect Electivire34. Set 4 is just about finished (non-31 SDef IVs, 0 SAtk IVs) and just needs to be evolved; I will absolutely be integrating this into my teams in the future, as I have always loved elemental punch coverage sets and am determined to make this one useful. My problem right now is with Set 3; given what the Maison throws at you, modeling it after the Subway/Maison version would be obvious (way too much Earth Power and Earthquake around), but modeling it after the Frontier version would give it the extra punch needed to turn it from a mediocre set to a decent one. Item Clause would play a factor in this, of course, but as of right now, an Imperfect Electivire3 would not clash with either of my main teams item-wise.

So, I am trying to decide...Wise Glasses or Air Balloon?
Fortunately the island finally showed up and I now have the tm, thanks for asking.
Also, I vote for air balloon on Electivire.

Ojo46, that's a very good question. For a long time I had icy wind on my Suicune and I felt it was a fantastic choice for two reasons: it slowed down faster Pokemon, and it countered those obnoxious Pokemon with the water absorb ability.

However, I ultimately became concerned of a key threat in the maison: Walrein4. If you're aiming for a long streak, like 100+, you absolutely need someone with substitute on your team or it's just a matter of time before this guy destroys you. He has fissure, sheer cold, rest and sleep talk, and is holding bright powder. The funny thing is, when I replaced the move, three battles later, I ran into him! After he got lucky and ohko'd my lead, Suicune came out, sub'd and set up on him and won easily. If I still had icy wind, my streak would have ended there.
Water absorb is very annoying now, for sure. But it's a small price to pay, and many of them with that ability can be pp stalled to death anyway (not all of them though).

As for the item, when running substitute, leftovers is a must. You're losing a quarter of your hp each time you use it, after all, so it's nice to gain some back each turn.

Ok, thanks for the tip on Suicune, my other member is Mega Khangaskan, and I'm trying to decide on my last member. I was maybe think Destiny Bond Gengar to try to easily faint HAXy ones like Walrein and Cresselia.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
However, I ultimately became concerned of a key threat in the maison: Walrein4. If you're aiming for a long streak, like 100+, you absolutely need someone with substitute on your team or it's just a matter of time before this guy destroys you. He has fissure, sheer cold, rest and sleep talk, and is holding bright powder. The funny thing is, when I replaced the move, three battles later, I ran into him! After he got lucky and ohko'd my lead, Suicune came out, sub'd and set up on him and won easily. If I still had icy wind, my streak would have ended there.
Water absorb is very annoying now, for sure. But it's a small price to pay, and many of them with that ability can be pp stalled to death anyway (not all of them though).

As for the item, when running substitute, leftovers is a must. You're losing a quarter of your hp each time you use it, after all, so it's nice to gain some back each turn.
A few things to keep in mind with Substitute (which I've used extensively on Suicune both this generation and last):

1. Make sure your HP isn't evenly divisible by 4. You'll want to be able to Sub 4 times, after all. Depending on your Suicune's IVs, this also means that shaving a few EVs from HP to go elsewhere can often be "free" in the sense that a 205 HP Suicune and a 207 HP Suicune make identical Substitutes.

2. Don't blindly copy Jumpman16's spread. Those 60 Speed EVs are there to outspeed Garchomp4 after an Icy Wind. Without Icy Wind, this is moot. I personally go with 12 EVs (with a perfect IV) to hit 107 Speed. This avoids all Speed ties, and Speed ties are evil when you run Substitute, since you risk the situation of going first one turn and second the next and thus being exposed to two hits in a row without resubbing. Ties also make it hard to tell when to resub. If you know the next attack will break your Sub, if you chose to Sub, you get hammered if you win the tie and try to Substitute over your existing Substitute. Other Speeds are possible options, to be sure, but check the Speed tiers list carefully, and I advise avoiding any ties (or at least ties with anything relevant).

3. I sharply disagree with Scythes as to the item. Personally, once you decide to run Substitute, I believe you badly want a Chesto Berry. Sub Suicune has two big advantages. The first Scythes identified: It can serve as your OHKO absorber. (It is better against status too, but Rest already handles some of that). But the second is that it lets you better play the Pressure stall game of stalling out one really threatening move. With Substitute, every 25% of health Suicune has remaining can trade for 2 opposing PP by Subbing and getting the Sub broken. Chesto Berry essentially gives you several free stall turns, making draining a single move much easier. Lots of physical attackers have one STAB attack that can threaten you, but have other moves that can be comfortably taken and rested off. Chesto Berry gives you an easier time against these foes. And once you've stalled out the most threatening move, eventually KOing the foe at 75% behind a Sub really isn't too much worse than being at 100% behind a Sub with health recovered to full from Leftovers. You may have to take an extra Rest at some point, but so long as you get yourself close to full before you actually KO the opposing Pokemon, the lack of Leftovers HP is not a big deal. In short, on Substitute Suicune, Leftovers is nicer once you are set up, but Chesto Berry will allow you to set up against more things.

Well, I admit the vast, vast majority of my experience in the maison regarding using Suicune comes from using it with the Chesto Berry and icy wind. When I switched over to Substitute, I felt that Leftovers better complemented that move choice. However, I lost very soon after that change (not because of it though) so my experience is limited in that regard. I guess I should've been more open about that.

Long story short, Nocheese has far more experience with sub on Suicune than I do, so you should listen to him. I hold by everything else I said in that post, however.

Oh wow thanks for all of this advice guys! But for my final team member does the Gengar I mentioned earlier sound appropriate?

I can't say for certain. Give it a shot and see if it works for you. It certainly has good chemistry with Mega Khan. While it's a bit frail for my taste, focus sash remedies this somewhat, and Gengar has some key immunities.
Something sturdier might be a better fit long term. But if you just want a quick run at 50 wins, or even 100, that sounds fine.

I can't say for certain. Give it a shot and see if it works for you. It certainly has good chemistry with Mega Khan. While it's a bit frail for my taste, focus sash remedies this somewhat, and Gengar has some key immunities.
Something sturdier might be a better fit long term. But if you just want a quick run at 50 wins, or even 100, that sounds fine.
I'm planning on a longer run, so that might not be the smartest idea to use Gengar, any possible other ideas that have good chemistry between the Khan and Suicune?

From The Workshop:

Hey hey, I'm making a sort of two-pronged request.

To my knowledge, none of the battle facility threads have ever had a banner. However, the Battle Maison Discussion and Records thread has been hoppin' with activity lately and I would like to help keep that momentum going.
At the same time, though, this is really me trying to give Altissimo a small reward for achieving 200-win streaks in all five Maison formats, something he just wrapped up last night.

We had been joking a few times in the course of that thread that Gen VI games should have marked achieving such a feat by awarding the player with Lansat/Starf trophies, similar to the ones given for beating the Chantelaines in Supers. As a result, my idea for this banner would a Starf Trophy of some kind. You can go as simple or elaborate as you want for it--it could literally just be an enlarged Starf Berry placed on a pedestal, or a trophy in the same vein as the crystal trophies awarded (except a Starf is the top part instead of the Chantelaine hats that form the top of the actual trophies).

I'm not sure he believes I would actually go through with making this request, so I doubt he would care if the finished product is what I'm specifically requesting. If the artist has a preference for the Lansat Berry (the reason why is irrelevant here), he/she is free to make a Lansat Trophy instead. If there is an idea for a Maison-themed banner that you feel would make a better fit for the thread than what I'm describing, go for it.

Thx for reading.
Smuckem Altissimo

i just thought... trophy + lansat + starf + battle maison
//cough
that huge af lansat tho
this is now a thing and we should put it in the OP NoCheese !!

Getting the five standard trophies wasn't really a good time and so I can't see myself striving to get on Altissimo's level, but that's cool. She can have that all to herself.
I'm just crazy, nobody else should ever strive to do what I did it was a long process and not always very fun

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
this is now a thing and we should put it in the OP NoCheese !!
That is a very sweet looking lansat + starf berry trophy. My only small concern is that including art only for the Lansat challenge may be seen as overvaluing it relative to say a #1 streak (where there's no special art), but this seems relatively minor.

My plan would be to include it just above a "Lansat Berry Challenge" list, but if people prefer, I'm happy to use it as a general header since any (top) individual streak earns a Lansat Berry too, and the trophy art is cool enough that it would look very nice atop the entire leaderboard.

Either way, I can definitely add a Lansat Berry Challenge section to the leaderboard, and Altissimo is indeed encouraged to brag about it in her sig and elsewhere! (Well earned! And it will help get attention for our Maison thread too, a nice side bonus.) But let me know (Maisoners generally) your thoughts on whether the trophy art should be linked specifically to the Lansat Berry Challenge or the leaderboard as a whole.

It does say "Battle Maison Records" so it's not like purely Lansat Challenge-based, in my opinion. But I don't know how much room I have to give input haha

People may put more effort into obtaining lengthy streaks in everything aside from Multis if enough attention were drawn to it. As for the leaderboard as a whole, what would you have in mind? Something entirely simplistic, a symbol for the sake of being symbolic? Smuckem originally raised the subject because the Battle Facilities/Maison have no such banner or whatever, so it could be nice to have it as an overall sign of achievement. Something for naysayers and scrubs to stare at above the list of names and numbers which their self-inflicted mediocrity refuses to accept as legitimate skill (yeow that sounds condescending lol.)

If not that, I see nothing wrong with Altissimo making a sig around it and being the sole user of the image and having a good-natured brag about her feat.

Smuckem

The overvaluing thing was something that momentarily crossed my mind, so if we need something more general I will commission Ssensenh for the job.
Of course, I think the piece is so cool it gave me goosebumps when I first saw it, so it would make for a fine banner.

Either outcome works for me.

Smuckem

It's been a couple of days, so I figured I would push things forward a bit.

I am asking if we can put up the matter of the banner up to a vote/poll or come to some kind of consensus. I don't want to leave Ssensenh hanging for too long past this weekend, so if some action is going to be taken let me know and I'll go from there. Otherwise, I will formally get the commission going. If anyone has an idea for an alternate banner, PM me and I will pass it along for her (I myself have no alternate ideas atm).

As another option, though, I was thinking if we could get in touch with R Inanimate and obtain permission to use this iconic picture accompanying his 2nd 1000-win streak report.
Would fit as well, I think.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Maison progress has been slowing down lately: I've been gradually trying to contribute to other parts of the forums (by posting, not by actual contributions). I've also been dealing with this item request, which has kept me off of my own cart for the last few days. I will get back to it, but not before I lose all hope related to that request, and not before I handle all five Basic Maison formats on the above-linked record. It's mostly been fun to go back and do Basic Maison with a true purpose in mind (except for Rotations--that's never any fun).

EDIT 2: Since I didn't contribute to the early, Jean mi version of the thread, I present... Wrath of the Chocobo King: Tutorial Zone! (these are me unlocking the Super formats on my brother's AS record)

Morgan Battle: 4DXG-WWWW-WW4B-7M3H
Multis Battle (w/ Archie): 3B5G-WWWW-WW4B-7M55
Nita Battle: 4HNW-WWWW-WW4B-7M76
Evelyn Battle: AX3W-WWWW-WW4B-7M9X
Dana Battle: UFHG-WWWW-WW4B-7M9V

Last edited:
It's mostly been fun to go back and do Basic Maison with a true purpose in mind (except for Rotations--that's never any fun). I may have some new replays up soon.
What nooo!!! I was specifically thinking about asking you to consider doing Rotations because I feel like you might be able to make some sense of how the AI functions in that mode.

Hello! First post here. I have done it in both XY and ORAS. :)

Took me 9 attempts to get 50 in Super Rotations in ORAS.....
And the surprising fact is that it only took me one attempt to get 50 in Super Multi-Battle in ORAS.

I am currently trying out to get 200 in Super Triples because I think Super Triples is the easiest among the five.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)