Battle Maison Discussion & Records

I think this thread died because of the "Pokebank starter flood"...

Anyway, I don't know why I'm having difficulty with Doubles. :p Can't quite get to 50 when Singles and Triples went down on the first try... and I still need to go through Multi and rotation.

For doubles, i went with mega garchomp, gengar, rotom-w and some 4th poké I cant remember. Garchomp was free to eq with the levitaters around, and rotom free to discharge with garchomp out.

Alright, it's been awhile since I've posted in this thread, so I thought I'd post an update on my team.
First of all, I have retired Vetches the Noivern. It was amazingly fast, but it was also frail, and just didn't hit hard enough. Really, the only thing I was using it for in battle was death fodder, and to Frisk the opponent. Instead, I present to you...

Jackie Frost (Froslass) @ Focus Sash
Nature: Timid
Ability: Snow Cloak (The initial Snorunt didn't have its HA)
IVs: x/31/x/31/x/31 (IV breeding is boring, OK?)
EVs: 252 SAtk, 252 Speed, 4 SDef
Spikes
Taunt
Destiny Bond
Ice Beam

The classic Suicide Lead Froslass. The main reason I chose to use it is a) because I absolutely LOVE Froslass's design, and b) most of the times my streak ended were because the opponent's last Pokemon survived with a sliver of health left. Spikes remedies that problem. Taunt is to prevent the opponent from setting up or using Confuse Ray (Hi, Umbreon!). Destiny Bond is there to take out one of the opponent's mons once Jackie Frost has done her job. And Ice Beam is, well, Ice Beam.

Liz and Amy have not changed a bit; they (Well, Kangaskhan and her baby) are still the core of my team, OHKOing a vast majority of things after 1 Parental Bond Power-up Punch. I'm beginning to see why Kangaskhanite was banned from OU.

Winona'd the Azumarill has also been benched, in favor of...

Ribbit-kun (Greninja) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
IVs: x/x/x/31/x/31 (If you thought IV breeding for a flawless female was tedious...)
EVs: 252 SAtk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Hydro Pump
U-turn Dark Pulse
Ice Beam
Extrasensory

I love this guy so much. He has amazing speed and coverage, and with Protean, the mindgames you can play against the AI are incredibly fun. Except when Hydro Pump misses... that's not so fun, but Surf just doesn't hit hard enough.

About to start another streak now... I'll post results if/when I lose!

EDIT: Well, that didn't last long. My streak capped out at... 10 wins. I know, I suck.
At least I didn't lose to hax; I made some really, really bad plays that cost me the battle. It went something like this:

I had Greninja out, with Kangaskhan in the wings. The opponent had a Gengar out. Knowing that most Gengar carry Focus Miss, I opt for Extrasensory so I can abuse Protean and take the hit. I use Extrasensory, and it would have OHKO'd... if Gengar wasn't carrying a Sash. Oh well, I can still take the impending Focus Miss. Except that this Gengar didn't use Focus Miss; it used Shadow Ball, OHKOing Ribbit-kun. I send out Kangaskhan, and make the fatal error of Mega-evolving. With Scrappy gone, I could now only use Sucker Punch, and it proceeded to use Hypnosis and then Dream Eater me to death.

Last edited:

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Alright, it's been awhile since I've posted in this thread, so I thought I'd post an update on my team.
First of all, I have retired Vetches the Noivern. It was amazingly fast, but it was also frail, and just didn't hit hard enough. Really, the only thing I was using it for in battle was death fodder, and to Frisk the opponent. Instead, I present to you...

Jackie Frost (Froslass) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Cloak (The initial Snorunt didn't have its HA)
IVs: x/31/x/31/x/31 (IV breeding is boring, OK?)
EVs: 252 SAtk, 252 Speed, 4 SDef
Spikes
Taunt
Destiny Bond
Ice Beam

The classic Suicide Lead Froslass. The main reason I chose to use it is a) because I absolutely LOVE Froslass's design, and b) most of the times my streak ended were because the opponent's last Pokemon survived with a sliver of health left. Spikes remedies that problem. Taunt is to prevent the opponent from setting up or using Confuse Ray (Hi, Umbreon!). Destiny Bond is there to take out one of the opponent's mons once Jackie Frost has done her job. And Ice Beam is, well, Ice Beam.

Liz and Amy have not changed a bit; they (Well, Kangaskhan and her baby) are still the core of my team, OHKOing a vast majority of things after 1 Parental Bond Power-up Punch. I'm beginning to see why Kangaskhanite was banned from OU.

Winona'd the Azumarill has also been benched, in favor of...

Ribbit-kun (Greninja) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
IVs: x/x/x/31/x/31 (If you thought IV breeding for a flawless female was tedious...)
EVs: 252 SAtk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Hydro Pump
U-turn Dark Pulse
Ice Beam
Extrasensory

I love this guy so much. He has amazing speed and coverage, and with Protean, the mindgames you can play against the AI are incredibly fun. Except when Hydro Pump misses... that's not so fun, but Surf just doesn't hit hard enough.

About to start another streak now... I'll post results if/when I lose!

EDIT: Well, that didn't last long. My streak capped out at... 10 wins. I know, I suck.
At least I didn't lose to hax; I made some really, really bad plays that cost me the battle. It went something like this:

I had Greninja out, with Kangaskhan in the wings. The opponent had a Gengar out. Knowing that most Gengar carry Focus Miss, I opt for Extrasensory so I can abuse Protean and take the hit. I use Extrasensory, and it would have OHKO'd... if Gengar wasn't carrying a Sash. Oh well, I can still take the impending Focus Miss. Except that this Gengar didn't use Focus Miss; it used Shadow Ball, OHKOing Ribbit-kun. I send out Kangaskhan, and make the fatal error of Mega-evolving. With Scrappy gone, I could now only use Sucker Punch, and it proceeded to use Hypnosis and then Dream Eater me to death.

I know the feeling man. You might want to try Grass Knot on Ribbit-Kun since it gets better coverage and Crunch on M-Kanga, something like Crunch/Sucker Punch/Power Up Punch/Return - Having Crunch really helps against all the ghost types and I only missed having Earthquake one or two times. And actually, none of the Gengar in the Battle Maison carry Focus Miss, so I think Grass Knot would be the superior option. In fact, there are no pokemon in the Battle Maison that carry Focus Blast that would be hit harder by Extrasensory as opposed to any of the other options on Ribbit-Kun. Good luck on your next run.

e: here's the link to battle maison movesets

I did another streak, and actually got up to the Chatelaine (Nita) for the first time ever. And then lost. Here's the battle log:
Nita sends out Tornadus-I, I send out Jackie Frost.
I incorrectly predict that she will outspeed (According to Serebii Tornadus-I's base speed is 111, while Froslass's is 110), so I go straight for Destiny Bond. Tornadus uses Hurricane. (Jackie Frost at 1HP and confused)
Jackie Frost uses Destiny Bond again. Tornadus uses Hurricane, KOing itself and Jackie.
I send out Liz and Amy; she send out Thundurus-I.
Thundurus uses Wild Charge (Liz and Amy at just over half HP), Liz and Amy use Return (OHKO).
Nita sends out Landorus-I.
Landorus outspeeds and uses Focus Miss. (Liz and Amy dead.)
I send out Ribbit-kun.
I click Ice Beam, but...
Landorus outspeeds and uses Focus Miss. (OHKO).
The fact that Lando outsped Ribbit-kun despite Ribbit-kun having around 20 higher base speed tells me that Lando is holding a Scarf. Maybe next time I shouldn't lead with Jackie Frost so I can switch her into Lando when it's locked into Focus Miss, and then use Ice Beam.

So as you can see, I lost partly due to Focus Miss not living up to its name, and partly because I didn't know Lando had a Scarf. (Although really, my fate was sealed at that point, since it could outspeed and OHKO both of my remaining mons.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I did another streak, and actually got up to the Chatelaine (Nita) for the first time ever. And then lost. Here's the battle log:
Nita sends out Tornadus-I, I send out Jackie Frost.
I incorrectly predict that she will outspeed (According to Serebii Tornadus-I's base speed is 111, while Froslass's is 110), so I go straight for Destiny Bond. Tornadus uses Hurricane. (Jackie Frost at 1HP and confused)
Jackie Frost uses Destiny Bond again. Tornadus uses Hurricane, KOing itself and Jackie.
I send out Liz and Amy; she send out Thundurus-I.
Thundurus uses Wild Charge (Liz and Amy at just over half HP), Liz and Amy use Return (OHKO).
Nita sends out Landorus-I.
Landorus outspeeds and uses Focus Miss. (Liz and Amy dead.)
I send out Ribbit-kun.
I click Ice Beam, but...
Landorus outspeeds and uses Focus Miss. (OHKO).
The fact that Lando outsped Ribbit-kun despite Ribbit-kun having around 20 higher base speed tells me that Lando is holding a Scarf. Maybe next time I shouldn't lead with Jackie Frost so I can switch her into Lando when it's locked into Focus Miss, and then use Ice Beam.

So as you can see, I lost partly due to Focus Miss not living up to its name, and partly because I didn't know Lando had a Scarf. (Although really, my fate was sealed at that point, since it could outspeed and OHKO both of my remaining mons.)
It's been known that Nita's Landorus had a scarf for a while now, lol.

You'd probably be better off with a lead Focus Sash Greninja. Froslass isn't fast enough for a quite a few mons.

Double Battle streak ended at 152 wins. Video: 7TZW-WWWW-WWW4-XNQ9

Team:

Saw (Garchomp) ♀
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Rough Skin
Item: Yache Berry
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Rock Slide
Protect

Your standard Doubles Garchomp. She's tough, she's fast, and she hits hard. Even better, her Ground typing and STAB Earthquake work well with her partner Torch, giving her resistance to the Rock-type moves and immunity to the Electric-type moves that Torch fears, and a super-effective attack against both.

Torch (Mega-Charizard Y) ♀ (The very first perfect Charmander I bred was female. Go figure.)
Ability: Blaze -> Drought
Item: Charizardite Y
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Heat Wave
Solarbeam
Air Slash
Protect

Mega-Charizard Y is a thing of beauty in Battle Maison Doubles. STAB Drought Heat Wave off 159 base Special Attack hits like an oxyacetylene cutting torch, and Solarbeam deals with pesky Water-types (and some Rock-types, although more often she leaves those to Saw while hiding behind Protect). Max+ base 100 speed might not be as impressive in competitive battling, but it outspeeds an impressively large fraction of the things you find in the Battle Maison. She can even help deal with fast Electric-types by baiting them into attacking her while she Protects and Saw finishes them off with Earthquake. I'm not certain about Air Slash, though. Dragon Pulse might be better, since it's super-effective against Dragon types that resist Fire and Grass while keeping neutral coverage against Fire types, even if it's a bit weaker against those (Saw usually deals with Fire-types using Earthquake).

Bar (Bronzong)
Nature: Brave
Ability: Levitate
Item: Leftovers
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/0
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Gyro Ball
Earthquake
Payback
Protect

A Rock-type walks into a Bar. It's not very effective ...
Joking aside, this guy is my own creation, and I'm still not completely sure about him. The primary aim was to find a Pokemon that (a) resisted Rock-type attacks and (b) was immune to Ground-type attacks, to act as an ideal switch-out for Torch against certain Pokemon with Rock-type attacks that outsped Saw and were only 2HKO'd (Aerodactyl, I'm looking at you), meaning Torch could not reliably hide behind Protect until they were defeated. Flying-types were out, since they are at best neutral to Rock-type moves (although Skarmory might have worked). There are exactly three fully-evolved Pokemon with Levitate that resist Rock-type attacks: Flygon, Claydol, and Bronzong. Flygon is out, since its identical typing to Garchomp results in too many overlapping weaknesses, and Claydol still shares an Ice-type weakness, in addition to having multiple others. Bronzong is thus the obvious choice, but the question then becomes, what does he actually do when not simply switching in to tank an attack and immediately switching out again? Trick Room Bronzong is considered excellent in Doubles, but that's on a team designed to take advantage of it- Saw and Torch are pretty much the exact opposite. Smogon's movesets imply that using him to set up Stealth Rock is popular, but that's not really very useful in the Battle Maison, and it's a move tutor move from Gen V anyway. I chose Brave Attacking Bronzong, but it just doesn't seem to have enough power to be worthwhile, especially with so many Pokemon in the Battle Maison slow enough that Gyro Ball isn't very powerful. His physical movepool is really pretty terrible (Payback isn't even all that useful), but his Special Attack is even lower than his Attack. Perhaps a Dual Screens set instead?

On top of everything, his weakness to Fire-type moves is made even worse by Drought, and his new weakness to Dark and Ghost attacks means overlapping weaknesses with Shade.

Shade (Gengar) ♀
Ability: Levitate
Item: Focus Sash
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Dazzling Gleam
Protect

Mostly just another fast, powerful attacker with Levitate. I would really be happier with Rotom-W's bulk, but Hydro Pump and Drought don't mix well.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
I've had it with doubles! This !@#$ is haxing me so bad or making me play my worst...
*goes off to breed Typhlosion and Garchomp*

EDIT: I think the reason my Triples team was working was because I had space for support like Zapdos... :(

Last edited:
I've had it with doubles! This !@#$ is haxing me so bad or making me play my worst...
*goes off to breed Typhlosion and Garchomp*

EDIT: I think the reason my Triples team was working was because I had space for support like Zapdos... :(
Interesting team mate would be char y with heatwave, especially if Typ got HA. LET THE FIRE RAIN!

Having an interesting run in triples with Serperior/CharY/Terrakion/Latias/Jellicent/Porygon2.

At 65ish wins without much effort right now, I'll see how far I can get.

Edit: At 95 wins, replaced Jellicent with PorygonZ. A bit Fighting weak, but still demolishing everything. PorygonZ's Dark Pulse helps since it can attack the far sides, and Serperior's Screen/Taunt support is invaluable. Porygon2 is just an amazing wall.

Last edited:
All right, I'm back to attempting Doubles after a few days of breeding.

Typhlosion (Modest, Blaze, Choice Scarf) - Eruption, Flamethrower, Extrasensory, Focus Blast
* ...that Focus Blast is gonna be HP Ice someday. Or converted to Solarbeam in a sun team.

Lucario (Adamant, Inner Focus, Lucarionite) - Swords Dance, Crunch, Close Combat, Bullet Punch
* Crunch is there because he's in the lead and don't wanna EQ my Typhlosion to death. I've thought of Stone Edge, but I really can't afford a miss.
* The loose cannon of the team and seems like a baaaadddd idea. Replacement candidates include Rotom-W, Klefki, Sableye or support Mega Kangaskhan. Latter three candidates should have Fake Out. Sableye will have taunt.

Garchomp (Adamant, Sand Veil, Yache Berry) - Protect, Earthquake, Dragon Claw, Iron Head
* Maybe Iron Head should be Stone Edge but I hate missing.

Togekiss (Modest, Serene Grace, Assault Vest) - Dazzling Gleam, Grass Knot, Air Slash, Flamethrower
EV: 8 spd, 252 sa, 248 hp
* It just seemed like a good idea at the time. Togekiss looks like the best "levitator" I can use, and then I just saw my double ice weakness. :)
* Candidates for replacement include Rotom-H, Rotom-W, Gengar, Talonflame.

Looking for suggestions. Only at 15 wins as this post is being written.

Interesting team mate would be char y with heatwave, especially if Typ got HA. LET THE FIRE RAIN!
As far as I know, HA Cyndaquil hasn't been released yet, so I can dream. Flash Fire should've been awesome on Typhlosion.
Thanks for the suggestion. I also thought of an entire Sunny Day team, but the rock slide users seem everywhere. Maybe if I start with Char Y + Venusaur with Typhlosion as revenge slayer.

Last edited:

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Robo Mike This actually looks like a solid team. All I would switch is to get rid of either Eruption or Flamethrower on Typh, because it's scarfed and two fire moves on a choicer is redundant. You could also get rid of AV on Kiss and switch something with Roost, but it looks fine as is for reserves. And I'd say keep Iron Head to get those Faries. Good luck in your conquest!

All right, I'm back to attempting Doubles after a few days of breeding.

Typhlosion (Modest, Blaze, Choice Scarf) - Eruption, Flamethrower, Extrasensory, Focus Blast
* ...that Focus Blast is gonna be HP Ice someday. Or converted to Solarbeam in a sun team.

Lucario (Adamant, Inner Focus, Lucarionite) - Swords Dance, Crunch, Close Combat, Bullet Punch
* Crunch is there because he's in the lead and don't wanna EQ my Typhlosion to death. I've thought of Stone Edge, but I really can't afford a miss.
* The loose cannon of the team and seems like a baaaadddd idea. Replacement candidates include Rotom-W, Klefki, Sableye or support Mega Kangaskhan. Latter three candidates should have Fake Out. Sableye will have taunt.

Garchomp (Adamant, Sand Veil, Yache Berry) - Protect, Earthquake, Dragon Claw, Iron Head
* Maybe Iron Head should be Stone Edge but I hate missing.

Togekiss (Modest, Serene Grace, Assault Vest) - Dazzling Gleam, Grass Knot, Air Slash, Flamethrower
EV: 8 spd, 252 sa, 248 hp
* It just seemed like a good idea at the time. Togekiss looks like the best "levitator" I can use, and then I just saw my double ice weakness. :)
* Candidates for replacement include Rotom-H, Rotom-W, Gengar, Talonflame.

Looking for suggestions. Only at 15 wins as this post is being written.

As far as I know, HA Cyndaquil hasn't been released yet, so I can dream. Flash Fire should've been awesome on Typhlosion.
Thanks for the suggestion. I also thought of an entire Sunny Day team, but the rock slide users seem everywhere. Maybe if I start with Char Y + Venusaur with Typhlosion as revenge slayer.
HA may be unreleased, but it does come through pokebank from pokegen/sav and it is only unusable online/tournaments, in game there is nothing blocking its use.

Ever thought of Rock Slide?
Yeah, but the power is kinda low for something that misses 5% of the time. :(

Robo Mike ...get rid of either Eruption or Flamethrower on Typh, because it's scarfed and two fire moves on a choicer is redundant. You could also get rid of AV on Kiss and switch something with Roost, but it looks fine as is for reserves. And I'd say keep Iron Head to get those Faries. Good luck in your conquest!
Thanks. The reason why Eruption and Flamethrower are both on it, is Eruption's low PP (8 max), plus it will suck when Typh's HP is low. The only other coverage move I can think of other than HP Dark (which is this dude's current Hidden Power, Ice coming soon) is Solar Beam, and I'm not running any weather guys so far to make that worth using.

As for Togekiss, the reason it doesn't have Roost is because of Assault Vest. I actually have another Togekiss with the parahax moveset I can try--however, I kind of need some coverage because otherwise I have nothing to take out Gastrodon and Swampert.

HA may be unreleased, but it does come through pokebank from pokegen/sav...
Hmm, actually I changed my mind, Blaze makes Eruption deal decent damage even at low health unless it's like <20%hp. :p

Well that's how Bank used to work, I think they're fixing it so that hackmons won't go through. I'm crossing my fingers though. Hopefully I can transfer my hacked 6IV dittos. :p

Last edited:
Yeah, but the power is kinda low for something that misses 5% of the time. :(

Thanks. The reason why Eruption and Flamethrower are both on it, is Eruption's low PP (8 max), plus it will suck when Typh's HP is low. The only other coverage move I can think of other than HP Dark (which is this dude's current Hidden Power, Ice coming soon) is Solar Beam, and I'm not running any weather guys so far to make that worth using.

As for Togekiss, the reason it's not Roost is because of Assault Vest. I actually have another Togekiss with the parahax moveset I can try--however, I kind of need some coverage because otherwise I have nothing to take out Gastrodon and Swampert.

Hmm, actually I changed my mind, Blaze makes Eruption deal decent damage even at low health unless it's like <20%hp. :p

Well that's how Bank used to work, I think they're fixing it so that hackmons won't go through. I'm crossing my fingers though. Hopefully I can transfer my hacked 6IV dittos. :p
Agree, hopefully im also getting my 6IV jap made one and my 6x 30IV jap one for masuda and hp breeding through :-D

Right now at Triples, I am running with my Tyranitar/MAeroDactyl/Excadrill/Garchomp/Rotom-W/Aegislash team. First run they ended with 135 streak due to getting stopped by a Confuse ray Brightpowder Haxigigas. Second run I'm in 110's right now and hoping they can bypass it even further.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)