Battle Maison Discussion & Records

StarKO I though about that (Sturdy or Focus Sash to counter Articuno), since it has 4x weakness to Rock. I will be studying that, maybe it is not worth it to change the team just to counter it...

About the RS Remakes, I hope it has an updated Battle Frontier. That would be fantastic, since I never got to play it in the original Emerald...

StarKO Rotom doesn't get surf :/

Yonanoveau I thought you could maybe try an Azumarill as your lead, it can Aqua Jet lead Aerodactyl and Archeops for decent damage which let's Typhlosion finish them off with Eruption (provided it chooses it). The only problem is that Scarf Aero will out-speed Typh and either ohko or weaken it so bad that Eruption will do nothing. Azumarill can also use Helping Hand to power up Eruption.

If you wanna keep Charizard then I would try to get Ancient Power on it somehow (maybe dropping Air Slash). Protect is also a solid move on any Pokemon in doubles so maybe that would work better.

Really there's no good way to deal with those fast rock types without compromising your Sun+Eruption strategy too much :( I've really wanted to try the combo but I don't have any AI partners with Typhlosion. Pretty much the only things that hurt it bad (afaik) are those previously mentioned fossil birds and probably also Scarf-Manectric. Maybe explore things like Fake Out and Wide Guard. Mienshao can use both so that could be a good partner...

I did try my Azumarril at first, and while it worked well, Typhlosion was much less Eruption happy without Sunlight (I guess Drought does motivate him to use it), very often using Focus Miss and wasting a turn. And well, the Eruption + Sun combo can pierce through more things than Azumarrill with Typhlosion in combination can, mainly due to sheer power. Though Helping Hand sounds like a pretty good idea might try it if this run ends.

I did try Ancientpower but it wasn't really that useful. Mainly it was because of its low Base Power. Then again I might have been using it wrong. I was using it against things it hits SE when I should have been using it against things it hits SE that resist Fire attacks, like other fire Types, like I use Dragon Pulse exclusively because dragons can survive Eruption. Gonna give it a try again.

Things that stop the Eruption + Sunlight combo are the fast rock types (Typhlosion can outspeed them to get a hit in, the problem is that Charizard is too slow and will get killed before finishing them off), Tyranitar if he comes second (if he's first then Mega Evolving cancels out Sand Stream) and Wide Guard (this isn't so bad, simply take down the offender with a Sun boosted flamethrower), Fake Out is more annoying than anything, mostly because it doesn't hurt that much and they always target Zard for some reason, meaning Typhlosion gets the hit in.

I did find a final team member that so far is doing a pretty nice job:

Swampert @ Leftovers
Torrent
Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Sp. Def
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Rain Dance
- Avalanche

Might replace either Avalanche or Earthquake with Hammer Arm. This guy fits nicely here from what I am seeing. While it is slow, the Ground typing and good bulk allows to take Rock Slide and Stone Edge without much issue, Feraligatr's Friendly Fire Earthquake barely hurts him, he also covers Zard's Electric weakness and his own Earthquake hurts. He can go for Rain Dance as well at least to setup for Feraligatr. The only downside is that my own Sunlight makes him a good target for Sunnybeams, but if pulled out at the right time he'll be taking down rock opponents or fire types and nothing else. Also his own lack of speed gets him hurt more than he should, but if he gets Rain Dance active Feraligatr will kick ass in his name.

Will let know how this goes.

Thanks for the help, BTW.

EDIT: Wait, wait, wait... there are Scarfed Aerodactyls in the Maison? That's... unconvenient...

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I did try my Azumarril at first, and while it worked well, Typhlosion was much less Eruption happy without Sunlight (I guess Drought does motivate him to use it), very often using Focus Miss and wasting a turn. And well, the Eruption + Sun combo can pierce through more things than Azumarrill with Typhlosion in combination can, mainly due to sheer power. Though Helping Hand sounds like a pretty good idea might try it if this run ends.

I did try Ancientpower but it wasn't really that useful. Mainly it was because of its low Base Power. Then again I might have been using it wrong. I was using it against things it hits SE when I should have been using it against things it hits SE that resist Fire attacks, like other fire Types, like I use Dragon Pulse exclusively because dragons can survive Eruption. Gonna give it a try again.

Things that stop the Eruption + Sunlight combo are the fast rock types (Typhlosion can outspeed them to get a hit in, the problem is that Charizard is too slow and will get killed before finishing them off), Tyranitar if he comes second (if he's first then Mega Evolving cancels out Sand Stream) and Wide Guard (this isn't so bad, simply take down the offender with a Sun boosted flamethrower), Fake Out is more annoying than anything, mostly because it doesn't hurt that much and they always target Zard for some reason, meaning Typhlosion gets the hit in.

I did find a final team member that so far is doing a pretty nice job:

Swampert @ Leftovers
Torrent
Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Sp. Def
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Rain Dance
- Avalanche

Might replace either Avalanche or Earthquake with Hammer Arm. This guy fits nicely here from what I am seeing. While it is slow, the Ground typing and good bulk allows to take Rock Slide and Stone Edge without much issue, Feraligatr's Friendly Fire Earthquake barely hurts him, he also covers Zard's Electric weakness and his own Earthquake hurts. He can go for Rain Dance as well at least to setup for Feraligatr. The only downside is that my own Sunlight makes him a good target for Sunnybeams, but if pulled out at the right time he'll be taking down rock opponents or fire types and nothing else. Also his own lack of speed gets him hurt more than he should, but if he gets Rain Dance active Feraligatr will kick ass in his name.

Will let know how this goes.

Thanks for the help, BTW.

EDIT: Wait, wait, wait... there are Scarfed Aerodactyls in the Maison? That's... unconvenient...
I don't understand how Typhlosion can be 'Eruption happy' when on turn 1 you haven't mega evolved so sun isn't active yet, I think it's just a coincidence. I'm also a little confused at your choice in Swampert. Aside from having your back line very weak to grass, they can both hurt each other with Earthquake. Not to mention that Typhlosion takes SE damage from it.

So you said that its Aero, Arch and T-tar that give Tyhplosion trouble. For this I would consider Scizor (like StarKO suggested) as it can ohko both the birds with bullet punch and brick break has a chance to ohko T-tar (life orb gets a clean ko, a combo of eruption and BB will do the trick also, so you can use another item if you'd like). He also takes negligible damage from 'Gator's earthquake and is neutral to enemy rock moves (he's pretty bulky though).

Now that I'm thinking about it all, I think the biggest drawback is Feraligatr! Anything that compliments Typhlosion's success hinders Gator and vica versa... Hitmontop could be a nice lead. It gets Intimidate, fake out, wide guard and helping hand and can wreck T-tar with a fighting move. It gets walled by ghosts so I guess just click helping hand and hope Eruption kills stuff.

And yeah there is a scarf Aero running around. All we know is that it knows Rock Slide because that's all it's used!

I don't understand how Typhlosion can be 'Eruption happy' when on turn 1 you haven't mega evolved so sun isn't active yet, I think it's just a coincidence. I'm also a little confused at your choice in Swampert. Aside from having your back line very weak to grass, they can both hurt each other with Earthquake. Not to mention that Typhlosion takes SE damage from it.

So you said that its Aero, Arch and T-tar that give Tyhplosion trouble. For this I would consider Scizor (like StarKO suggested) as it can ohko both the birds with bullet punch and brick break has a chance to ohko T-tar (life orb gets a clean ko, a combo of eruption and BB will do the trick also, so you can use another item if you'd like). He also takes negligible damage from 'Gator's earthquake and is neutral to enemy rock moves (he's pretty bulky though).

Now that I'm thinking about it all, I think the biggest drawback is Feraligatr! Anything that compliments Typhlosion's success hinders Gator and vica versa... Hitmontop could be a nice lead. It gets Intimidate, fake out, wide guard and helping hand and can wreck T-tar with a fighting move. It gets walled by ghosts so I guess just click helping hand and hope Eruption kills stuff.

And yeah there is a scarf Aero running around. All we know is that it knows Rock Slide because that's all it's used!
What I meant is that Typhlosion will go for Eruption if Sunlight is active even if it's resisted by the enemy pokemon. When Azumarrill was leading along with Typh, the latter would most of the time go for Focus Blast if as much as 1 of the enemy Pokemon resisted Eruption, since he was scarfed he would be stuck with it and Focus Blast missed a lot. May be coincidence, may be not, but that's what happened actually. May not be farfetched to think the AI goes for the moves boosted in weather, I mean, Feraligatr completely avoids water moves if Sun is active, even if they hit SE the opponent, at most uses Aqua Jet to finish off an opponent.

I am aware my back line is weak to grass, but the strategy I've been using so far is to switch to right away (before mega evolving and using Drought) Swampert if one of the rock roadrunners show up, usually not wait for Zard to be beaten. This is mostly because Zard and Typh can handle almost everything (from what I've encountered so far) and Swampert is to cover the few things those two can't beat. Of course don't use Earthquake with Typh since, in theory, Water Attacks should be enough (Though I am considering replacing it with Hammer Arm). Also, while Earthquake does hurt each other with Feraligatr, it's barely, I won't be using Earthquake unless it's a to finish off the fight, and if I manage to put Rain Feraligatr will avoid Earthquake as well (once again, from what I've seen, I might be mistaken.)

Though, yeah, an inconveniently appearing Grass type might be nasty. Still, so far it has worked out well. Let me try this run with Swampert (so far 31 battles won, not that impressive, but hey I just want the trophy on this one), if it doesn't work I'll switch to a new team member.

It's mostly Archeops and Aerodactyl because of how fast they are and they don't die with Eruption, if Mega Charizard had 10 more base speed I would be able to force my way through like with most other opponents. Tyranitar is an issue if he is a back line Pokemon of the opponent; because Sand Stream cancels Sunlight and he resists Eruption (and the Sp. Def boost is a bad thing). If he comes out first or has Unnerve Typh's Eruption + Zard's Solarbeam can take him out.

Hadn't thought of Scizor (ironic given he's part of the team I currently have 100 victories in Super Doubles), but what you say and StarKO say makes a lot of sense, it may be a good idea to go with him if the current run doesn't work. I guess I will try him if I lose this run.

And yeah, sadly I either support Typh or support Gator, but I can't assist both (kinda sucks because Gator has Sheer Force, which is smexy as hell). I am stuck with this because of th AI partner. Was it for me I would simply go for a full Sun team. And given the AI won't try to help me out, I try to adapt to the AI. I am not familiar with Hitmontop or his sets, but he does sound like a good lead, and he doesn't screw over Feraligatr. But I think if I went with Hitmontop I could also change Zard Y given the idea of Sun + Eruption won't be the main focus. It would be a good step to try a different team if this one doesn't work out.

Thanks for all the help, BTW.

EDIT: Forgot, was my original idea of using Rotom W viable or wouldn't have worked out? Just asking, want to know if it's worth to breed one for this.

EDIT 2: Lost at 42, because the idiot of the AI tried to Focus Miss a Pyroar instead of simply using Eruption and wiping out the Jolteon and weakening the Pyroar. Naturally it missed, Jolteon used Thunderbolt and paralyzed Zard, Pyroar took it out with Hyper Voice. Sent out Swampert and used Earthquake (I was already losing, just wanted to kill the moron I had for a partner, but it was a stupid choice, true). Typh uses Focus Blast and this time connects and takes out Pyroar, Jolteon uses Thunderbolt and kills Typh. Swampert uses Earthquake and KOs Jolteon. Should have used Rainy Day instead of going for EQ, next come a Victreebel which Sunbeams Swamp and Gator.

I know I was warned about this possibility and that I did a stupid choice by not using Rain Dance when both my pokemon were water types, but hell, had Typhlosion been less stupid I could have won this match without even having to send out Swampert.

Will try Scizor now in the team.

Last edited:
Ugh. Smogon was totally not working on my phone today to post a reply. My bad!

Besides that, I finally picked the game back up and cleared the Multi-Battle section. So that makes five trophies for me:

Singles Team: Sableye, Greninja, and Mega-Kangaskhan
Doubles: Slowbro, Hariyama, Mega-Mawile, and Goodra
Triples: Slowbro, Hariyama, Snorlax, Mega-Mawile, Goodra, and Gastrodon
Rotation: Slowbro, Conkeldurr, Mega-Mawile, and Goodra
Multi: Hariyama and Mega-Mawile and my husband used Slowbro and Mega-Ampharos

If anyone wants more details on the teams, just ask.

I have learned that the AI in the Maison has a huge problem trying to counter a trick room team. In Doubles I would lead with Slowbro (with a focus sash) and Hariyama. Hariyama would Fake Out and Slowbro would set up Trick Room. In Triples I always put Slowbro on the left so I could use Fake Out and Trick Room. And in Rotation, I would lead with Mawile to get in an Intimidate then set up Trick Room.

The only problem I ever dealt with were the Psychic trainers and Hex Maniacs as they would often have a Musharna, Reuniclus, and Dusknoir that would be slow enough under Trick Room - Marowaks were also occasionally problematic, but not as much as the bulky psychics and ghosts. Also, I would miss Gothitelles like crazy with Fake Out and other incredibly accurate moves. Luckily, Mega-Mawile could easily handle the Psychic and Ghost types with a Sucker Punch - surprisingly didn't run into really any Cofagrigus that could replace Mega-Mawile's Huge Power with Mummy.

But hooray! Onto the board now! :D

Aerodactyl's set 1 is Scarfed, which means it won't appear after battle #20. Don't worry about Scarf Aerodactyl.

Your explanation of Typhlosion choosing Focus Blast didn't make much sense, because like cant say said, Typhlosion shouldn't "know" that the sun is up on the first turn. Typhlosion attacks on the first turn, so when it selects the move, it shouldn't "know" that sun will be up. That said, I haven't tested it out. I will say that, in my Super Multi streak where Typhlosion was the back-up, it pretty much always used Eruption, regardless of whether or not Charizard was out that turn, so I'm surprised you're getting so many Focus Blasts. That said, Typhlosion didn't come out nearly as often in my streak as it needs to in yours; Scrafty and Staraptor + smart switches to MegaZard Y were really good at killing everything.

I don't have any great advice for you, but Swampert seems like a solid pick; the Rock resistance is crucial. I liked having Protect on Charizard (I didn't feel Air Slash was necessary) to block Stone Edges and fast Electric-type moves while setting up the sun. You may want to consider Gastrodon; it can set up rain, Storm Drain stops the few physical Water-types from crushing Typhlosion with Waterfall, and Earth Power can handle Fire-types without having to rely on taking the turn to set up rain. It would be a lot better if more Water-types used Hydro Pump instead of Surf (because then it could do a better job of protecting Typhlosion), but it's an option to consider.

Good luck!

Updated

I'm wondering if Endeavor Aron teams should be moved to a separate section, like Entrainment teams, since it's a one-two combo that can decimate half of the Maison without fault? What do you think, Eppie? (By the way, you spelled Hippowdon as Hippodown in the first post.)
Hi there.
First of all, congratulations on your #1 doubles record!!

I don't really like the idea of a separate section for teams that involve Endeavor Aron and here is why:

• While proven very effectively, Trick Room Endeavor is still very risky. No Trick Room means you're carrying dead weight in the form of level 1 Aron;
  • While Aron resists Rock type moves, the AI still tends to use multi targetting moves like Rock Slide (30% flinch rate) for the fact that Aron is level 1. This means that in theory, you won't be able to get Trick Room up on turn 1 in 30/100 scenario's where the AI uses a turn 1 Rock Slide.
  • Separating Endeavor Aron means separating Trick Room Endeavor teams entirely (and therefor basically creating a whole new records list for Trick Room teams).
  • In my opinion, ''a one(-two) combo that can decimate half of the Maison without fault'' is not enough of an argument to consider Aron ''suspect''. 70% of the Super Singles record list leads with Dragonite, another Pokémon who can probably decimate half of the Maison without fault. Separating Pokémon based on their usage and records is like creating tiers for the Battle Maison, which, in my opinion, is never a good idea. Durant on the other hand is a completely different example.
That said, my answer to your suggestion would be no. However, you are the first one to bring this up so I will leave it open for debate. For those of you who read this and agree with Quanyails, please motivate your reasoning and don't forget to mention and/or quote me in your post so that I am sure I will read it (I don't read everything posted in this thread to be honest).

Thanks for the heads up on the Hippowdon error, I fixed it.

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
As you've brought up your arguments, let me propose my thoughts in more detail.
  • Trick Room is not needed for Aron to pull its weight. R Inanimate's Triples Streak uses Aron without Trick Room, drawing the attention of the AI to allow the other Pokemon on his side to set up without threat of damage, while Aron itself uses Endeavor to take an opponent down to <12 HP. There have been matches in my streak where I was unable to get Trick Room up, but Aron drawing attacks in while using Endeavor with Sturdy keeping it alive makes it far from useless.
  • I consider Aron part of that one-two combo because Endeavor does not discriminate against the majority of matchups. It is guaranteed in Doubles to survive the first turn and, barring dual Ghost-type leads, take an opponent down to low HP. Entrainment Durant similarly doesn't care what the opponent is, as long as it is able to give it Truant as an ability, since the next Pokemon is guaranteed to set up a Substitute and +6 on its relevant stats, 2HKOing whatever may switch in without threat of status. In a post in the early days of the Battle Maison, you considered Entrainment 'broken', I presume from that ubiquity. As time went on, it became clear that Protect, flinch, status, and faster, strong opponents can stop Durant from using Entrainment, making the team harder less secure in continuous victory. The same faults apply to Aron (although that can be remedied somewhat with Trick Room or Mat Block). May I ask what differentiates Entrainment's relative ubiquity in matchups from Endeavor Aron's (Ghosts?) so as to not provide the same perceived 'brokenness', or is that definition obsolete now that Entrainment teams no longer peak in Battle Maison records?
  • In contrast, Dragonite cannot set up against all opponents as Entrainment Durant or Endeavor Aron can. The top teams of Super Singles relies on its team members functioning as a core, to switch out when matchups are not good for the team member currently out. Dragonite has to be careful if the opponent's Pokemon can 2HKO it through Multiscale. Aron doesn't care what the opponent is (bar Ghost-types) as it can bring it--or two opponents, with Berry Juice--down to 12 HP without fear (or, heh, with FEAR) of being KOed. I understand there are many matchups where Aron fails to break through the opponent's team completely. I have not used Dragonite in Super Singles, so I cannot compare matchups. If Dragonite's presence in Super Singles is mechanical as First turn: Dragon Dance, Second turn: sweep, then sure, it might be considered 'broken'. I don't believe that, though, both in terms of Dragonite's use in teams and the definition of brokenness.

Updated

Hi there.
First of all, congratulations on your #1 doubles record!!

I don't really like the idea of a separate section for teams that involve Endeavor Aron and here is why:

• While proven very effectively, Trick Room Endeavor is still very risky. No Trick Room means you're carrying dead weight in the form of level 1 Aron;
  • While Aron resists Rock type moves, the AI still tends to use multi targetting moves like Rock Slide (30% flinch rate) for the fact that Aron is level 1. This means that in theory, you won't be able to get Trick Room up on turn 1 in 30/100 scenario's where the AI uses a turn 1 Rock Slide.
  • Separating Endeavor Aron means separating Trick Room Endeavor teams entirely (and therefor basically creating a whole new records list for Trick Room teams).
  • In my opinion, ''a one(-two) combo that can decimate half of the Maison without fault'' is not enough of an argument to consider Aron ''suspect''. 70% of the Super Singles record list leads with Dragonite, another Pokémon who can probably decimate half of the Maison without fault. Separating Pokémon based on their usage and records is like creating tiers for the Battle Maison, which, in my opinion, is never a good idea. Durant on the other hand is a completely different example.
That said, my answer to your suggestion would be no. However, you are the first one to bring this up so I will leave it open for debate. For those of you who read this and agree with Quanyails, please motivate your reasoning and don't forget to mention and/or quote me in your post so that I am sure I will read it (I don't read everything posted in this thread to be honest).

Thanks for the heads up on the Hippowdon error, I fixed it.
After reading Quanyails' post (the one immediately above mine), I'm not so sure I see huge discrepancies between Entrainment Durant and Endeavor Aron (other than the fact that Durant is for Singles and Aron is for Doubles/Triples, of course). This is especially true for Triples; in Doubles, Aron only has one partner, and Trick Room is more important for it to function. In Triples, R Inanimate shows that Aron can just sit there and act like a magnet for days, overwhelmingly reducing the demands placed on the rest of the team. Sure, it has problems with spread attacks, but Durant has plenty of problems as well (Protect, Brightpowder/Lax Incense, Magic Bounce Espeon), and they can be easily avoided with the right set-up.

The truth is that Entrainment Durant really hasn't proven itself this gen the way that it did in Gen 5; the fact that Roar/Whirlwind go through Protect and Infiltrator now hits through Substitute are a big part of that. I'm sure some of it is the fact that people want to be #1 on the "real list," not the Durant list, but the fact still remains that Durant hasn't proven itself nearly as well as Aron has. That's not to say that Aron necessarily SHOULD be a different list, but I think that the way Aron can "break" the AI is highly comparable to the way Durant does so. What it lacks in predictability (Singles is obviously the most predictable mode), it makes up for in the fact that it has more allies to fill in any holes in the strategy. Unless someone comes out an hits 1000 on Singles with Durant without facing any real threats, I'm not seeing why Durant should get a separate list while Aron doesn't.

For the record, I have an Entrainment Durant team I've tried to show that Entrainment is still the most broken thing ever (when used properly), but it looks very different from most Entrainment teams and is the slowest team in the universe, so I may not actually get good enough with it to get a big streak. At this point, I'm not convinced that Entrainment is a totally different animal from "regular" teams the way it was in Gen 5. I propose that we either have separate lists for both Aron and Durant (possibly only having a separate list for Aron in Triples and not Doubles, because it has less support in Doubles), or that we get rid of the Durant list altogether and just merge it with regular Singles.

In my eyes, the evidence thus far shows that Aron teams are qualitatively different than everything else (the top Doubles team without Aron has less than half the wins as the top Doubles team with Aron; R Inanimate's Aron-abusing team has clearly blown everyone else out of the water, and it seems like the "up and comers" in Triples are heavily using Aron, though I'm on vacation and my internet's too slow to go back and look now). This is in contrast to Singles, where there are a lot of insanely good and reliable Pokemon such as Dragonite, Aegislash, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Scizor, Suicune, and Togekiss ;) but any one of them can be left out and taken to a streak on the same order of magnitude as the top streaks. So in my eyes, I think Aron sets itself apart as an "AI breaking" strategy enough to warrant a separate list. That said, I'm not that particular about it, and I'm happy to go with whatever the community wants to do about it (though I may just not really care because I'm not a particularly good Doubles or Triples player).

EDIT: Accidentally said that Roar hits through Substitute when I meant Protect.

I do agree with Quanyails and VaporeonIce about the similarity between Durant and Aron/FEAR strategies. They're both Pokemon that require minimal adaption to the opposing team, basically doing the same in almost every battle, and have proven to be extraordinarily effective (Aron even moreso than Durant in Gen 6). Both are not without their flaws (while Aron teams may fear Rock Slide, Durant teams fear Volt Switch, and so on), but do work very reliable regardless. Thus, I fail to see a significant difference between Durant and Aron teams in that matter.

However, I think that the concept of the maison basically gives us a certain range of possiblities that are allowed, and whatever proves itself the best will stand on top. In my opinion, manually separating special playstyles and strategies, as centralizing they may be, isn't what fits in this concept well.
On top of that, from my experience with my current Triples team I'm in fact confident that both 'regular' and Aron (or Durant) teams can be very successful and none of the possible strategies is so good that other strategies have no chance of competing with them.
Thus, instead of separating Aron and non-Aron-teams for Doubles and/or Triples, I would prefer to remove the separate Durant list and fuse it with the regular singles list.

I've knocked out 2 trophies so far with some unconventional teams.

Super doubles
Hydregion/mawile/politoad/aegislash

Hydregion (hybrogion) Life Orb
Levitate
Modest
186 hp/252 SpA/66 spd
- draco meteor
- dark pulse
- flamethrower
- protect

I've always loved using hydra, but with his huge weakness to faster, I could never justify using him. But than I read an article that pretty much said " what Dragon can take a moonblast?" And went from there
The evs give him 191 hp for sand/hail. Speed allows him to go before base 101 that aren't invested. The rest went into special attack to allow him to hit hard as possible.
I had choice scarf on him, but hated getting locked into certain attacks so went with life orb instead, and it ended up working wonderfully.

Mawile @mawilite
Intimidate > huge power
Adamant
236 hp/16 SpD/252 attack
- play rough
- protect
- fire fang
- sucker punch

I went with mawile for my team to get a 4 type in my opening team, while also completing the Dragon/fairy/steel core. Also, mega mawile is fantastic in doubles (as most of my experience is in vgc, but masion lol). I never felt like I needed iron head since fairy pokemon never scared me, despite having a 4x pokemon on my team.
I can't remember exactly why I eved him the way I did, but with his intimidate helped reduce the physical side, I invested in the special side, albeit a minimal amount.

Politoad (polibroed) @ sitrus berry
Drizzle
Bold
252 hp/142 SpD/90 SpA
- scald
- protect
- ice beam
- hypnosis

I needed a way to reduce the fire damage that 2 of my steel type hated, and politoad was the first one that came to mind. He was also able to get rid of sand and hail damage.
I wanted him as bulky as possible to take any special attacks that were asked at him. The rest of his evs were kind of a wonderful crazy misshappenstance. I was working on his special defense, and didn't realize he was holding the power lens from training his special attack, which was originally meant to ohko arcanine in rain. But I had messed up the calculations and this ended up working. Lol
Scald was his stab. Ice bean for dragons that outsped hydra, and other flying types. Hypnosis was so if I was down to my last 2, I could shut out one if my opposing pokemon, and even the odds a little. It has never missed during a clutch moment, but I'm sure if I was working for a higher streak, I would end up hating hypnosis with a passion. Lol

Aegislash (sword/board) Leftovers
Stance change
Modest
252 hp/252 SpA/4 def (0 Spd IV)
- kings shield
- substitute
- flash cannon
- shadow ball

Your basic substitute aegislash. I went with aegislash as my fourth because with hydra abd aegislash, they cover each other's weakness perfectly. Almost how the old scizor/rotom worked. I'm not sure there is much to explain about him that hasn't been said a million times in the pokemon community. Lol

Super rotation
Aegislash/Garchomp/Sylveon/Venasaur

Aegislash (sword/board) Leftovers
Stance change
Modest
252 hp/252 SpA/4 def
- kings shield
- substitute
- flash cannon
- shadow ball
The same aegislash from my doubles team. I had him in the front since I noticed the the AI tended to think I would switch, and it gave me a great opportunity to set up a sub.

Sylveon Lum Berry
Cute charm
Bold
252 hp/252 def/4 SpA
- moonblast
- light screen
- protect
- wish
I had need this Sylveon as a physical tank for vgc, but had never used her, so I wanted to complete my Dragon/fairy/steel core once more. Wish was absolutely fantastic in rotation, but I wish I could have had heal bell over light screen. Light screen was just to help reduce the special damage, but was pretty disappointing in general and could have been better as heal bell.

Garchomp Focus sash
Sand veil
Jolly
252 att/252 Spd/4 hp
- sword dance
- rock slide
- earthquake
- Dragon claw

Standard Garchomp. I have been to lazy to get around to breeding one with rough skin, but I know that would have worked much better in so many ways.

Venasaur (Broasaur) @venasaurite
Chlorophyll > thick fat
Modest
252 hp/ 252 SpA/ 4 def
- giga drain
- sludge bomb
- sleep powder
- synthesis

I wanted to use mega venasaur, and needed another member on the team, so I grabbed him. He's the only member on the team who can use a stays move, and survive a ridiculous amount of hits that he would sometimes bring entire games to close 3-1. Once again a standard mega venasaur.

I'm working on singles right now, and I think I'll wait for the other trophies before throwing everyone down on what I used because multi and triples might take a minute

Okay, got to battle 45 in Super Multi. Lost to a Scarfed Landorus (forgot there are of those around). But unlike my previous loses that were because of stupid move from me or the AI, I was completely beaten in this round by the CPU actually playing well its cards.

What I was told before is true, my backrow is too weak to grass and while Grass types aren't that hard to handle, everyone seems to be carrying grass knot or Energy Ball. Swampert is great for taking Stone Edges, but sadly it's there where it stops being useful, he's too slow and it's coverage is too limited with sun to help in any way, not to mention more often than not the CPU will be carrying a grass move. And in hindsight, two 4x weaknesses in my team is really bad.

Also Nita, the boss is carrying a Scarfed Landorus too, so it would have costed me the run there anyways.

While Sunlight + Eruption is sexy as hell, the fact that half of my team is hindered by it is really bad. If Typhlosion goes down before attacking it's pretty likely I lost, and if Zard goes down I lost important momentum. So yeah, I better change things around a bit so Feraligatr can also fight properly, so that means changing Zard and Swampert.

Yeah, I was told about this, can't help it, I am a stubborn son of a bitch =P

Was thinking of going with these two now:

Greninja @ Life Orb
Protean
Timid
6 Hp/ 252 Sp. Atk/ 252 Spd
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Dark Pulse / Extrasensory (Which is better?)
-Grass Knot

Scizor @ Assault Vest (Or should I go with Scizorite?)
Technician
Adamant
252 Hp / 252 Atk / 6 Spd
-Bullet Punch
-X-Scissor
-Brick Break
-Roost

Let's see how this goes. How are Mega Gengar and Mega Lucario in doubles btw?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Definitely go with Scizorite, the overall increased bulk is comparable and you can't actually use Roost while holding Assault Vest.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yonanoveau I don't really like Greninja as a fix to your teams issues. He is slower than Aerodactyl and Scarf Lando so cannot help keep Typhlosion alive. You're also not taking advantage of Eruption in anyway (which I think is the only perk of your team). Sure, Gren will dish out some serious hurt on your opponents for the most part, but I fear you will just keep losing in similar fashion. I suggested Hitmontop and Mienshao earlier as partners for Typh which I really think you should look into. The thing with Multi battles is that the AI sucks no matter how good their Pokemon are so it's your job to facilitate their success, not the other way around. So when building a team you need to find stuff that helps them as much as possible. If it were you just playing straight doubles and you could control all 4 Pokemon it would allow much more flexibility.

And yeah like Stellar said, use the mega stone if you chose Scizor. If you haven't got a mega already I would have thought it was a no brainer

Yonanoveau I don't really like Greninja as a fix to your teams issues. He is slower than Aerodactyl and Scarf Lando so cannot help keep Typhlosion alive. You're also not taking advantage of Eruption in anyway (which I think is the only perk of your team). Sure, Gren will dish out some serious hurt on your opponents for the most part, but I fear you will just keep losing in similar fashion. I suggested Hitmontop and Mienshao earlier as partners for Typh which I really think you should look into. The thing with Multi battles is that the AI sucks no matter how good their Pokemon are so it's your job to facilitate their success, not the other way around. So when building a team you need to find stuff that helps them as much as possible. If it were you just playing straight doubles and you could control all 4 Pokemon it would allow much more flexibility.

And yeah like Stellar said, use the mega stone if you chose Scizor. If you haven't got a mega already I would have thought it was a no brainer
I'll give a try to Hitmontop then. Wasn't really sure about Scizorite because from a while I heard Mega Scizor wasn't that good and given I don't play competitive that much didn't have much proof of the opposite even if it was obvious. And yeah, forgot I can't use Roost with Assault Vest, my bad.

Soo... I'll have to breed a hitmontop. Is this a good setup? If not what should I do?

Hitmontop @ Life Orb?
Intimidate
Adamant
6 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
-Fake Out
-Close Combat
-Helping Hand
-Mach Punch/Bullet Punch? I really don't know here.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I'll give a try to Hitmontop then. Wasn't really sure about Scizorite because from a while I heard Mega Scizor wasn't that good and given I don't play competitive that much didn't have much proof of the opposite even if it was obvious. And yeah, forgot I can't use Roost with Assault Vest, my bad.

Soo... I'll have to breed a hitmontop. Is this a good setup? If not what should I do?

Hitmontop @ Life Orb?
Intimidate
Adamant
6 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
-Fake Out
-Close Combat
-Helping Hand
-Mach Punch/Bullet Punch? I really don't know here.
I think fake out, wide guard and helping hand are musts. Your fourth move will need to be a damaging move so you're not taunt bait. I'm undecided between close combat and mach punch as they both have their uses. Hopefully Tyhplosion will be dishing out enough damage with eruption that close combat will probably be redundant, so you could instead use mach punch to pick off weakened opponents. Because all your moves have priority you could shift the EVs into HP instead of speed for more bulk. As you'll only be attacking with one move and mostly supporting I would suggest changing the life orb for maybe a sitrus berry

Eppie, about the Durant/Aron thing... I know that my opinion is nothing around here, and that I am nobody, but anyways.

I kind of agree with what was said here, they all have a point. But I think that Durant and Aron strategies should have a ranking for they own not because it is a broken strategy, but because it is strategies that has been very used and has some sort of reputation. Wanting or not, it works. Not fully, of course, but what does by now? I think that Aron strategy should receive its own ranking in Doubles, not Triples, because of the usage and functioning. Maybe that would encourage the creation of new and, above all, innovative strategies and teams in the attempt of claiming a higher spot at the ranking.

About the Durant strategy, I agree that it is no longer broken as it was in BW/B2W2, but it is, yet, some "safe place to start" strategies, which puts it in the same sort of category that Aron. If it works, and if it is repetitious, I think it deserves a ranking of its own. That would prevent flooding in the main ranking of each genre of battle, making it more organized, and, again, encourage members to try something new.

But then again, that is my opinion, and I will completely understand and agree with whatever is decided, but I think that it is more organized and would give the chance of new strategies showing up. I hope that I made my point clear here, and sorry for the bad english. By the way, I posted a record for Multi Battle a few pages ago, and I don't know if it is acceptable, but I would love if you could take a look, please. Keep the good job, bye :3

I think fake out, wide guard and helping hand are musts. Your fourth move will need to be a damaging move so you're not taunt bait. I'm undecided between close combat and mach punch as they both have their uses. Hopefully Tyhplosion will be dishing out enough damage with eruption that close combat will probably be redundant, so you could instead use mach punch to pick off weakened opponents. Because all your moves have priority you could shift the EVs into HP instead of speed for more bulk. As you'll only be attacking with one move and mostly supporting I would suggest changing the life orb for maybe a sitrus berry
Sounds good, I thought about Wide Guard, but wasn't really sure because I have to be good at predicting my opponents... buuut I guess with practice I'll get to that. I also wasn't sure about Close Combat either or the Spd EVs, mostly because Hitmontop was pretty slow but still needed to somehow finish off the opponents Typh weakened. But priority moves and good bulk sounds great.

I'll get to breed, test in the maison and let know how it went.

BTW, Think I'll go with this guy in the backrow:

Scizor @ Scizorite
Technician
Adamant
252 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 6 Spd
-Bullet Punch
-X-Scissor
-Brick Break
-Roost

Sounds good, I thought about Wide Guard, but wasn't really sure because I have to be good at predicting my opponents... buuut I guess with practice I'll get to that. I also wasn't sure about Close Combat either or the Spd EVs, mostly because Hitmontop was pretty slow but still needed to somehow finish off the opponents Typh weakened. But priority moves and good bulk sounds great.

I'll get to breed, test in the maison and let know how it went.

BTW, Think I'll go with this guy in the backrow:

Scizor @ Scizorite
Technician
Adamant
252 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 6 Spd
-Bullet Punch
-X-Scissor
-Brick Break
-Roost
I'd swap BB for either Knock Off or Superpower, personally, also switch X-Scissor for Bug Bite if you can.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm 99% sure he is using that set because he doesn't have access to the past gen tutors (Knock Off, Superpower, and Bug Bite).

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Also bullet punch's priority is too invaluable to give up. I like the set you listed Yonanoveau, maybe swap roost for swords dance but doesn't matter too much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)