1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen 3 ADV NU Viability Ranking

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by Oglemi, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Oglemi

Oglemi THE DREAM IS REAL
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

I wasn't going to do this initially, but then I figured why not. You guys know the drill by now. This is all assuming that I've dropped the Pokemon into the tier that I thought should be.

S Rank: Reserved for the top threats in the NU metagame. These Pokemon are usually able to perform a variety of roles effectively, or can just do one extremely well with little to no extra support. Their use has low risk involved and high reward exerted. Pokemon in this tier have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits.

Top:

• [​IMG] Hitmonchan
    Mid:

• [​IMG] Chimecho
    • [​IMG] Huntail
    • [​IMG] Mawile
    • [​IMG] Tangela
    Low:
    • [​IMG] Haunter
    • [​IMG] Vigoroth
    A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are outstanding in the NU metagame and can sweep, wall, or support the majority of the tier. These Pokemon require less support than other Pokemon to be used effectively, but still perform less consistently than the average S rank Pokemon. A rank Pokemon have few flaws that can be overlooked when compared to their positive traits.

Top:

• [​IMG] Arbok
    • [​IMG] Bellossom
    • [​IMG] Glalie
    • [​IMG] Murkrow
    • [​IMG] Pidgeot
    • [​IMG] Plusle
    • [​IMG] Roselia
    • [​IMG] Swalot
    • [​IMG] Whiscash
    Mid:

• [​IMG] Cacturne
    • [​IMG] Graveler
    • [​IMG] Kecleon
    • [​IMG] Lickitung
    • [​IMG] Pelipper
    • [​IMG] Sudowoodo
    Low:

• [​IMG] Flareon
    • [​IMG] Kingler
    • [​IMG] Pupitar
    • [​IMG] Raticate
    • [​IMG] Torkoal
    B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who are slightly above average in the NU metagame. These Pokemon have more notable flaws than of those above it that affects how they function in the tier. Their positive traits still outshine their negatives, but they require a bit more team support to bring out their full potential

Top:
    • [​IMG] Machoke
    • [​IMG] Minun
    • [​IMG] Metang
    • [​IMG] Relicanth
    • [​IMG] Seadra
    Mid:
    • [​IMG] Charmeleon
    • [​IMG] Crawdaunt
    • [​IMG] Dewgong
    • [​IMG] Golbat
    • [​IMG] Piloswine
    • [​IMG] Venomoth
    • [​IMG] Wailord
    Low:
    • [​IMG] Dunsparce
    • [​IMG] Lairon
    • [​IMG] Magcargo
    • [​IMG] Octillery
    • [​IMG] Sableye
    • [​IMG] Seviper

C Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that have notable niches in the NU metagame, but have just as notable flaws that prevent them from being top tier threats. Pokemon in the C tier often require significant support to be as effective as higher ranked Pokemon in NU. C rank Pokemon tend to face a lot of competition with the more commonly used Pokemon.

Top:

• [​IMG] Lileep
    • [​IMG] Noctowl
    • [​IMG] Shelgon
    • [​IMG] Togetic
    • [​IMG] Tropius
    • [​IMG] Wigglytuff
    Mid:

• [​IMG] Ariados
    • [​IMG] Dustox
    • [​IMG] Furret
    • [​IMG] Grovyle
    • [​IMG] Mightyena
    • [​IMG] Parasect
    • [​IMG] Shedinja
    • [​IMG] Sunflora
    • [​IMG] Yanma
    Low:

• [​IMG] Beedrill
    • [​IMG] Diglett
    • [​IMG] Illumise
    • [​IMG] Ledian
    • [​IMG] Pikachu
    • [​IMG] Seaking
    • [​IMG] Shuckle
    • [​IMG] Volbeat
    D Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are below average in the NU metagame. These Pokemon often require very significant amounts of support with a relatively low reward compared to higher ranked Pokemon.

Top:
    • [​IMG] Aipom
    • [​IMG] Butterfree
    • [​IMG] Castform
    • [​IMG] Corsola
    • [​IMG] Delibird
    • [​IMG] Masquerain
    • [​IMG] Nosepass
    Mid:
    • [​IMG] Beautifly
    • [​IMG] Delcatty
    • [​IMG] Farfetch'd
    • [​IMG] Spinda
    • [​IMG] Trapinch
    Low:

• [​IMG] Ditto
    • [​IMG] Luvdisc
    • [​IMG] Unown

Untested Rank: Reserved for pokemon that might have niches, but havent been sufficiently tested. Post your experiences with them here so we can give them a tier.
    and now onto: THE RULES.

~Rules~
    ~Only nominate viable Pokemon. We are not going to put every legal Pokemon in NU on the list. There is no reason to put stuff that no one will ever use.
    ~Post intelligently. Posts like "I think pokemon X should be in this tier" will not be tolerated
    ~No flaming
    ~No talk about editing the OFFICIAL smogon tier lists.
    ~Only pokemon in NU are up for nomination, pokemon in higher tiers are not allowed to be nominated, this should be common sense but lol someone nommed nidoking for S rank.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    Typhlito and Magcargo like this.
  2. Ash Borer

Ash Borer Throttle Chopper

why is raticate ranked so low? It's the fastest pokemon in the tier iirc, and it hits like a truck with Cb Double Edge. Beyond that it has some versatility being a pretty dangerous reversal sweeper able to feasibly use a liechi due to its blazing speed. I haven't played this meta much, only in testing with some friends, but it seems like RAticate is a real force of nature.
    eriados likes this.
  3. Oglemi

Oglemi THE DREAM IS REAL
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

Raticate is really good, hence the A rank, but it's mostly outclassed by Vigoroth, who can mostly do what it can and so much more. Vigoroth is slightly slower and misses out on outspeeding the birds, plusle, and haunter, but Bulk Up, STAB Flail with Reversal in tow, and an insane stallbreaker movepool just makes it better.

Raticate can probably go up to mid or high A, I don't really have a problem with that, but it's stopped cold by nearly every Rock and Steel like the birds without having a Ground and Spikes immunity and a STAB Flying move to use.
    Ash Borer likes this.
  4. meteor64

meteor64

Any reason why Togetic isn't on here? It seems like far from the worst NU mon, although it does overlap with Chimecho a fair bit.
  5. Oglemi

Oglemi THE DREAM IS REAL
    C&C Leader

Nope, just overlooked it, I'll add it in 9.9
  6. M Dragon

M Dragon The north wind
    is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Arena Tycoonis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Champion

Pupitar could be a bit higher
  7. Oglemi

Oglemi THE DREAM IS REAL
    C&C Leader

I've just been unimpressed with Pupitar because it has so many checks in the tier, like every other Rock. I get for late-game it can be terrifying because it suddenly becomes the fastest Pokemon in the tier while retaining the same relative power as the Choice Band Rock-types at +1, but shit like Pelipper, Bellossom, Tangela, Huntail, bulky Kingler, etc etc all still check it. If it gets to +2 that's a whole different story, but I have yet to encounter a situation where that would be possible outside of screen support from Metang/Wigglytuff.
  8. Piexplode

Piexplode I COULD BE BANNED!

Thanks for the link I'm dumb for missing it..
    anyway, I personally feel Pelipper is higher than that, it just puts in so much work checking mawile and hitmonchan that it's just generally invaluable.

Is cacturne really A rank?

I'd move Charmeleon to at least low B, being able to Anti-lead and force out glalie is pretty impressive, which is the major advantage over magcargo. Why are kingler and Torkoal so high up (like seriously, what do they even do? Isn't Kingler like just a worse crawdaunt).. why is Crawdaunt so low? Also with Raticate, I've felt the only true counter for it I've ever seen is lileep, although on balance I guess it can be played around.

Why is swalot soo high up, whenever I've tried to fit it on a team I've just seemed to find no real niche for it? I guess it must just be a really solid hitmonchan check, but it seems like a mon with offensive movepool, balanced stats, defensive typing. I don't actually know what arbok does o.o Lileep should be added somewhere in B or C, the only true counter to raticate, with the ability to have the special bulk to answer almost every non-boosting special attacker bar huntail. Lombre should be mid to low C rank for the fact that it basically hard counters huntail.
  9. Oglemi

Oglemi THE DREAM IS REAL
    C&C Leader

arbok is probably the best offensive switch in to hitmonchan there is apart from chime/haunter, and it doesn't get as fucked over as they do if it switches into the wrong attack thanks to intimidate

swalot is probably the best defensive switch into hitmonchan and is 2hkoed at worst by basically everything in the tier letting it either explode or status dangerous mons like vigo/cb mons like raticate/etc

cacturne has way more offensive presence than either of glalie or roselia as a spiker and has a ton of versatility

idk how you come to the conclusion that kingler is a worse crawdaunt when kingler outspeeds almost every offensive threat in the tier and hits harder with cb double-edge. it takes out the same things it needs to with surf that crawdaunt does. basically the only thing that crawdaunt does better is get passed tangela. kingler also does endure+salac and defensive sets miles better than daunt does

charmeleon could probably be moved up
    Piexplode likes this.
  10. skup

skup

Is this still alive at all? It definitely looks interesting
  11. Piexplode

Piexplode I COULD BE BANNED!

yea it's pretty quiet tho, you usually have to ask to get battles (oglemi, adv, myself, and a few others all play it)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)