Aerodactyl

I didn't see a thread for Aerodactyl, so here is one for your enjoyment:

#142: Aerodactyl

Typing: Rock / Flying;
Abilities: Rock Head, Pressure, Unnerve (DW)
Resistances: Normal, Fire, Poison, Flying, Bug
Weaknesses: Water, Electric, Ice, Steel, Rock

Code:
Stats
  HP: 80
  Atk: 105
  Def: 65
  SpA: 60
  SpD: 75
  SpD: 130

Level-Up Moves:
  Lv--: Ice Fang 
  Lv--: Fire Fang, 
  Lv--: Thunder Fang,
  Lv--: Wing Attack,
  Lv--: Supersonic,
  Lv--: Bite,
  Lv--: Scary Face, 
  Lv09: Roar,
  Lv17: Agility, 
  Lv25: Ancientpower, 
  Lv33: Crunch,
  Lv32: DragonBreath, 
  Lv37: Zen Headbutt, 
  Lv41: Take Down,
  Lv49: Sky Drop,
  Lv57: Iron Head,
  Lv65: Hyper Beam,
  Lv73: Rock Slide,
  Lv81: Giga Impact,

Egg Moves:
Whirlwind,
Pursuit,
Foresight,
Steel Wing,
Dragonbreath,
Curse,
Assurance,
Roost,
Tailwind,

Learnable TMs: 
  TM01 - Hone Claws,
  TM02 - Dragon Claw, 
  TM05 - Roar, 
  TM06 - Toxic, 
  TM10 - Hidden Power, 
  TM11 - Sunny Day, 
  TM12 - Taunt,
  TM15 - Hyper Beam, 
  TM17 - Protect, 
  TM18 - Rain Dance, 
  TM21 - Frustration,
  TM23 - Smack Down, 
  TM26 - Earthquake, 
  TM27 - Return, 
  TM32 - Double Team, 
  TM35 - Flamethower, 
  TM37 - Sandstorm,
  TM38 - Fire Blast, 
  TM39 - Rock Tomb, 
  TM40 - Aerial Ace,
  TM41 - Torment,
  TM42 - Facade, 
  TM44 - Rest, 
  TM45 - Attract,
  TM46 - Thief,
  TM48 - Round,
  TM58 - Sky Drop, 
  TM59 - Incinerate, 
  TM66 - Payback, 
  TM68 - Giga Impact, 
  TM69 - Rock Polish,
  TM71 - Stone Edge, 
  TM78 - Bulldoze,
  TM80 - Rock Slide, 
  TM87 - Swagger, 
  TM90 - Substitute, 
  TM94 - Rock Smash, 
  HM02 - Fly, 
  HM04 – Strength
Overview:
Good old Aerodactyl is back for another round in Gen V. Unfortunately, nothing really seems new for the flying dinosaur. Its movepool is still as shallow as it always was, and its just as predictable as before. It seems that for Aerodactyl, life will be just more of the same.

However, Aerodactyl got a new niche in gen V with the Unnerve ability. What Unnerve does is it prevents the opponent from activating their berry. This will make Aerodactyl an even better lead, being able to safely kill Shuca Berry Heatran and Metagross. He also finally received a good boosting move in Hone Claws, which has the unique perk of boosting Stone Edge's shaky accuracy.

Sadly, Aerodactyl may not be as popular as he was in Gen IV. With all the new priority, Prankster Taunts, and the decreasing popularity of Suicide Leads, Aerodactyl has a few roadblocks in his way. However, he is still the best at what he does; fast Stealth Rocks, almost guaranteed.

Pros:
- Blistering 130 Base Speed: This is Aerodactyl's main attraction. His speed is one of the highest in the game, being outsped by only a select few. Aerodactyl will strike before almost any opponent other than Scarf users.
- Decent 105 Base Attack: With his decent Attack stat, Aerodactyl can do some damage in his lead set or with a powerful and speedy Life Orb.
- Stealth Rocks + Taunt: Aerodactyl's flagship set in DPPt, this allows Aerodactyl to be one of the best suicide leads in Black/White
- EdgeQuake Coverage: Aerodactyl has access to STAB Stone Edge and Earthquake, one of DPP's best combinations. Due to his shallow offensive movepool, Aerodactyl needs the coverage.

Cons:
- Mediocre Defenses:80/65/75 defenses definitely aren't terrible, but Aerodactyl will still take a lot of damage from Neutral hits.
- Weakness to Stealth Rocks: When he's not a lead, Aerodactyl takes a hefty 25% on switch in, hindering his sweeping oppurtunities.
- Terrible Offensive Movepool: Other than Stone Edge and Earthquake, Aerodactyl's movepool is incredibly shallow, and Aero may sometimes need to resort to using the Fang attacks (of which he luckily gets all)
- Bad Defensive Typing: Aerodactyl's Rock/Flying typing gives him weaknesses to the common Water, Electric, Ice, and Rock moves. In addition, he has a severe weakness to Bullet Punch.

Possible Sets:

Suicide Lead

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
EVs:252 Atk/ 252 Spe
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

He's back. The suicide lead, a relic from the mid DPP days. He was one of the few who could almost always get up Rocks (but he would usually die in the process). The only change from last generation is Unnerve, which has a situational but otherwise handy effect. In any case, its better than the absolutely useless Rock Head (if only he got Head Smash) and Pressure.

Offensively Oriented
Aerodactyl @ Life Orb / Choice Band
Ability: Pressure / Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Roost / Aqua Tail
- Taunt / Fire Blast / Ice Fang

Again, this set is almost identical to Gen IV, with the only difference being the option to use Unnerve. The first three most slots are givens, while the last is for coverage. If you elect to use a Choice Band, you may use Aqua Tail or Ice Fang over one of your non-attacking moves. Fire Blast may seem out of place, but it is useful for catching Ferrothorn and Forretress off guard, both of which would otherwise wall this set.

Hone Claws
Aerodactyl @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Aqua Tail
- Ice Fang / Fire Fang

This is Aerodactyl's new set in Black and White. Its a simple set: use Hone Claws to boost your Attack and boost Stone Edge's accuracy, and sweep. With Scarf users out of the way and Walls weakened, Aerodactyl actually has a good chance of a cleaning up your opponent's team. EdgeQuake is obvious, but you may use Aqua Tail since its accuracy is patched up by Hone Claws. Sadly, thats where the good ends for this set. Aerodactyl must choose between Ice Fang for Gliscor and Dragons or Fire Fang for Ferrothorn and Forretress because of his terrible movepool. Additionally, you may use a Focus Sash for a surprise kill on a Scarfed pokemon, but you must be wary of SR if you aren't a lead.

Other Possible Movesets:
SubRoost, Agility (don't know why you would want to do this), Pressure Stall

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I swear this is copypasta from somewhere else I know I've read this before. It's because of the ShucaGross/ShucaTran, which people still thought were relevant WAAAAAYYYYY back.

Regardless, until Head Smash + Brave Bird Aero exists, it's not really going to be doing... anything.

I swear this is copypasta from somewhere else I know I've read this before. It's because of the ShucaGross/ShucaTran, which people still thought were relevant WAAAAAYYYYY back.

Regardless, until Head Smash + Brave Bird Aero exists, it's not really going to be doing... anything.
Um... no I just wrote this now. And it is true that Unnerve is basically useless now, but I mentioned Shuca because Aerodactyl is mainly used as a lead, and he's kind of stuck in a previous generation. I guess you could use Unnerve to prevent pinch berries, but they aren't commonly used either. Aerodactyl seems like he won't be having much fun this gen.

IIRC, Aerodactyl can't learn Zen Headbutt at all (by level up or Gen IV move tutor), while it only gets DragonBreath as an egg move.

Hone Claws Aero needs Adamant, quite frankly its too easy to outspeed it for those which care so better to make sure you net those KO's on the things that matter. This gen 130 speed means nothing unless you can hit with the same level of sheer power the genies or Excadrill can. Although LO is supposed to make up for it I find Aero won't get off more than one KO after setup because of the recoil.

105 isn't THAT bad. Starmie who has 100 base special attack can do a decent job at sweeping with a Life Orb so I'm sure Aerodactyl can dish out some damage too!

Difference is Starmie has at its disposal multiple 100% accurate/95+ base power attacks (or 120 if you want to go there) vs some 95% accurate/65 base power attacks. In the long run neutral STAB Stone Edge is more powerful than a 2x effective elemental fang.

What's Aero gonna do after getting a Hone Claws up and finds its coming short of a KO? It can't just run like some weaker physical attackers like Flygon can do, its likely to get its wings clipped later on by SR or taking a switch in attack and have even less chance of getting another Hone Claws off again. I've actually used Hone Claws Aero this gen and its perfectly viable, fangs give coverage and Stone Edge hits like a truck without the fear of miss now.

But with the huge jump in speed only common things Jolly Aero misses out on outspeeding are base 115 (Starmie ironically) and speed tie with Jolteon. Most other +1 speed stuff are generally made to outspeed base 130's and you'll often find Jolly not doing you much good. Whilst even with Adamant Aero is still flying circles around Timid base 110's and even the genies at 111.

On the other hand not running Adamant and even with LO it fails to 2HKO Skarmory with T/F-fang 40.7% - 48.5% vs Adamant 44.9% - 53.3%. It fails to kill the average 252HP T-tar with EQ, Jolly 83.2% - 98% vs Adamant 91.6% - 107.9%. It stands a tiny chance at 2HKO'ing Impish 252HP/184Def Gliscor with Stone Edge even considering Poison Heal recovery. Jolly 50.3% - 59.3% vs Adamant 54.8% - 64.4%. It gets a more solid 1HKO on Jirachi with EQ, Jolly 87.1% - 103% vs Adamant 95% - 112.4%. Even full health bulky Multi Scale D-nite is threatened with a 1HKO from Stone Edge, Adamant 85.9% - 101.6% vs Jolly 78.1% - 92.2%.

I've had personal experience with the Hone Claws Aero and it actually seems the way to go for him this gen as suicide leads don't work anymore. Sadly Aerodactyl seems to sit at a certain attack level which makes it susceptible to missing important KO's unless it goes all out...

Ugh its such a shame aero didn't pick up acrobatics, because this thing is just begging for a curse/white herb/acro late game cleaner set. =(

Ugh its such a shame aero didn't pick up acrobatics, because this thing is just begging for a curse/white herb/acro late game cleaner set. =(
That would be horrible, no offense. What would +defense do for you anyway? You're still going to die. Not to mention Flying is one of the worst coverage moves in the game and the loss of the LO makes Aerodactyl basically useless.

Acrobatics + White Herb/Fling/anything else is terrible. I think people realized that when the Fling/Acrobatics Gliscor set got walled by everything in existence.

That would be horrible, no offense. What would +defense do for you anyway? You're still going to die. Not to mention Flying is one of the worst coverage moves in the game and the loss of the LO makes Aerodactyl basically useless.

Acrobatics + White Orb/Fling/anything else is terrible. I think people realized that when the Fling/Acrobatics Gliscor set got walled by everything in existence.
You wouldn't need Fling because when you Curse the White Herb would be used up when it takes away the -1 Speed, leaving you at +1 Atk/Def.Aero also gets Earthquake, hitting SE against most steels and rocks that would resist Acrobatics.Of course this is all moot because Aero doesn't get Acrobatics, but I don't see you reasoning as to why it would be such a terrible idea.

Acrobatics + White Orb/Fling/anything else is terrible. I think people realized that when the Fling/Acrobatics Gliscor set got walled by everything in existence.
That's basically a poor man's Bulk Up, but Aero sucks a lot now...

@OP: Stop writing Salamence's moveset into Aerodactyl's.

I know that I've found Aerodactyl pretty effective in getting up SR. Like it was previously stated, its pretty hard for him to NOT get them up. Combined with fast taunt to prevent your opponent from setting up, and you got yourself a decent lead.
Putting it bluntly, I've found that if you're team needs SR and you've had a problem getting them up, Aeros your man.

I know that I've found Aerodactyl pretty effective in getting up SR. Like it was previously stated, its pretty hard for him to NOT get them up. Combined with fast taunt to prevent your opponent from setting up, and you got yourself a decent lead.
Putting it bluntly, I've found that if you're team needs SR and you've had a problem getting them up, Aeros your man.
Sadly, that's just about the only thing he CAN do, which means that your opponent will most likely put their Aero counter in the lead slot, such as Pokemon with Prankster Taunt or something that can kill him off with priority early in the match.

@TM13IceBeam:
What do you mean? It's not the same moveset. And if you mean that I used the same moveset layout as the Salamence thread, I did do that, on purpose. I just found that thread very visually appealing in the way it presented the moves. And I could always give credit, but I don't really see why. Its not like layouts are copyrighted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)