Ladder Almost Any Ability

hey guys. we need some more aaa qc members. if you're interested, feel free to shoot me a pm with why you're a good choice, some background, etc. you've got to be able to work well in an environment with others, and relay information in a respectful manner. it would be awesome to add a few new members, so we're not going to cap it at like "only the first three submissions get accepted!" instead it'll stay open for a few days and we'll continuously be adding members.

please do not post in this thread with questions, i'd rather that stick to my pms / vms so as not to clog up this thread, since i kinda hijacked it aha. thanks guys.

Announcement:

Hello, since Kl4ng is currently unable to reach a computer he asked one of us to post on his behalf. As you might have guessed from the cute gif on top, as of now, Shaymin-Sky is being suspected. Aspects of Skymin that contributed to this suspect taking place would be the blazing fast speed tier that is incredibly threatening to offensive archetypes paired with a great special attack stat that's backed up by Adaptability/Tinted Lens Seed Flare (which is a drawback free, bar the low pp, move with a 40% chance to drop Special Defense) that make it a big problem for bulkier team archetypes. Another thing to note would be its sheer unpredictability; capable of running things like Poison Heal SubSeed, Sheer Force Life orb, Specs, Mixed Refrigerate or even the ability that got it to Ubers in standards, Serene Grace.

The end result of the suspect test will be decided by a council vote as usual, but you are encouraged to post on your stance on the suspected mon to try and sway council members' opinions. The final council vote will take place after approximately one week so be sure to make your opinions heard before then! Lastly, I must add that while posting, you should really put in efforts to remain civil. Callouts/Arguments directed at other posters are not really things people want to look at. Make sure your posts don't insult people and if someone is wrong, instead of calling them a noob or questioning their skill, just point out what they said wrong and state what the right thing is.

All right let's get into it. Also, I believe this hasn't really been announced yet but, LaxLapras is now in the council following Snaq's leave. Be sure to congratulate him! (not in this thread though)

I personally have never understood why it was ever released into the wild in the first place. I guess you can theoretically beat Serene Grace with Inner Focus/Steadfast on things, but having to run an Inner Focus Pokemon just to beat Serene Grace Shaymin-Sky reliably is fairly absurd, given the limited utility of Inner Focus outside of coping with Serene Grace, and meanwhile Shaymin-Sky has gained access to crazy stuff like Sheer Force Life Orb Seed Flare.

I'm pro-ban for Shaymin-Sky and have been pretty much ever since I first played AAA. The increased ability to check it does not remotely compensate for its increased threat level.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
not only do i agree with what ghoul says, i also feel like tinted lens has become "the best potential set" for it. which is a lot bigger then one would think at first glance. shaymins main "Hindrance" is that most pokemon resist its main stab, seed flare. making it a lot harder to spam safely, even WITH serene grace factored in, with tinted lens, not only is that problem solved, it also lets shaymin run choice specs, without sacrificing anything in doing so.

another thing i want to bring up, is that shaymin also has the ability to pose a massive problem for both stall AND offense, hitting a speed tier that is almost unbelievably fast, hitting a stellar 125 spc attack stat, and having a move that basically has a 40% chance to turn special walls into a wet noodle. shaymin DOES have stuff that stops its multitude of sets. priority is so common, and shaymin cannot stay in on almost any of them. and the 40% chance to break walls is not guarenteed. but even so, its proving to be way too much for both offense and stall to handle, as offense loses a mon every time shaymin switches in, and stall is constantly thinking "will it break my counter this turn?" whenever it gets a hit in. its similar to aegislash in OU, except the "50/50" is more of a "40/60" in their favor, but offers no bad reprocussions in losing said coin toss. shaymin just has too many good sides to it. which is why im going to mostly be siding with banning it, until someone gives a good enough argument for me to want it to stay.

(sorry this is late)
Announcement:

skyminban.png

Following a 4 Ban - 0 DnB - 1 Abstain vote, Shaymin-S is now banned from AAA. The reasons for the ban include Shaymin-S' blazing speed stat, which allowed it to outspeed the vast majority of the metagame, alongside its terrifying damage output which allowed it to OHKO or 2HKO most of the metagame due to its base 120 Special Attack stat, Adaptability or Tinted Lens, Seed Flare's high base power, and the former move's chance to lower special defense. Even the few Pokemon that were capable of beating standard Shaymin, such as Goodra, could be caught off guard and eliminated by lure sets (in this case Refrigerate). More details can be found in the above posts.

Tagging The Immortal to inform him of the changes.

Last edited:
hey guys. we need some more aaa qc members. if you're interested, feel free to shoot me a pm with why you're a good choice, some background, etc. you've got to be able to work well in an environment with others, and relay information in a respectful manner. it would be awesome to add a few new members, so we're not going to cap it at like "only the first three submissions get accepted!" instead it'll stay open for a few days and we'll continuously be adding members.

please do not post in this thread with questions, i'd rather that stick to my pms / vms so as not to clog up this thread, since i kinda hijacked it aha. thanks guys.
!!!!!!!

Thought I might share this set.

Gliscor
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Defog / U-Turn / Taunt / W/e really

Started running this when I was looking for something that could wall sd heracross. This man here also happens to switch on BandTar, non fridge lucario and Pangoro and can OHKO most of them (bar ttar which is 2hko).
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Heracross Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 164-192 (46.4 - 54.3%)
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Pangoro Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 177-211 (50.1 - 59.7%)
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Lucario Iron Tail vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 250-294 (70.8 - 83.2%)
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Tyranitar Crunch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 122-144 (34.5 - 40.7%) Stone edge does more but since gliscor outspeed he can roost on it making it not very effective

8 Atk Gliscor Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heracross: 576-684 (191.3 - 227.2%)
8 Atk Gliscor Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pangoro: 282-332 (84.9 - 100%)
8 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Lucario: 278-330 (98.9 - 117.4%)
8 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 192-228 (56.3 - 66.8%)

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
Thought I might share this set.

Gliscor
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Defog / U-Turn / Taunt / W/e really

Started running this when I was looking for something that could wall sd heracross. This man here also happens to switch on BandTar, non fridge lucario and Pangoro and can OHKO most of them (bar ttar which is 2hko).
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Heracross Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 164-192 (46.4 - 54.3%)
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Pangoro Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 177-211 (50.1 - 59.7%)
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Lucario Iron Tail vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 250-294 (70.8 - 83.2%)
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Tyranitar Crunch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 122-144 (34.5 - 40.7%) Stone edge does more but since gliscor outspeed he can roost on it making it not very effective

8 Atk Gliscor Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heracross: 576-684 (191.3 - 227.2%)
8 Atk Gliscor Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pangoro: 282-332 (84.9 - 100%)
8 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Lucario: 278-330 (98.9 - 117.4%)
8 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 192-228 (56.3 - 66.8%)
This sounds really good, but the thing is, why not just use intim hippo? Yeah its offensive prowess isn't as good, but it does have roar to stop further set ups, is bulkier, checks fridge luke if it wasn't previously set up, and is just more of a blanket physical check in general, without a x4 weakness.

Edit: I take it back

Last edited:
This sounds really good, but the thing is, why not just use intim hippo? Yeah its offensive prowess isn't as good, but it does have roar to stop further set ups, is bulkier, checks fridge luke if it wasn't previously set up, and is just more of a blanket physical check in general, without a x4 weakness.
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 341-402 (81.1 - 95.7%)
Meanwhile hippo does what?
4 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heracross: 75-89 (24.9 - 29.5%)

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
its main purpose is to wall heracross. which intim hippo fears hera even with whirlwind, as +1 cc heavily pressures it after a SD.
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 309-367 (73.5 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
edit: ninjad

Sorry if it's been asked, but there's too many posts to check. Why is Aerilate banned, but not Refrigerate or Pixilate? Also, why are Mamoswine & Bisharp banned?

OM

It's a starstruck world
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry if it's been asked, but there's too many posts to check. Why is Aerilate banned, but not Refrigerate or Pixilate? Also, why are Mamoswine & Bisharp banned?
Aerilate just broke too many pokemon, whilst Mamoswine and Bisharp were just too hard to handle with a plethora of abilities such as tough claws or Adaptability

Reactions: nv
For reference on aerilate, Boomburst noivern, espeed dnite, landoT, mixedMence... aerilate isn't only a better attacking type but has a lot of physical or mixed attacker that can use it in conjunction with stab and a great complementary stab (gyarados, lantorus...) that are only held back by their lack of flying stab.

For most ice or fairy type it's also often just better to run adaptability.

Hello all, Just thought I'd share this cool core because I've been having some fun with it in tourneys and shit.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 108 HP / 168 Def / 232 SpD
Careful Nature
- Return
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
Now I'll just start by saying that Unaware Snorlax is really good on its own. Great check / Wall to a lot of special attackers, most notably Manaphy, suicune or Volcarona or some Bulky physical set-up like Poison heal Snorlax or Zygarde.
The reason it pairs so well with Flame Body Suicune is because it's most common counters, Doublade and Skarmory, absolutely hate burns. And in fact, after they are burned, Snorlax actually easily counters them, taking mediocre damage from unboosted hits and ignoring any boost that would attempt to fix that and with the combination of rest + sleep talk it will end up on top at the end.

252+ Atk burned Doublade Sacred Sword vs. 108 HP / 168 Def Snorlax: 109-129 (22.3 - 26.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

This Core won me many battles and is extremely obnoxious to take down. Especially if you can get a burn on the opposing lucario or smt while they were trying to take down Snorlax.

Also this lil' thing

Forretress @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Volt Switch

It's a bit more niche but good enough to warrant some usage, needed a latios switchin + hazard control and this thing does it quite well, pivoting in and out with a really slow volt switch and coming in repetitively during the battle to spin away.
Forretress also has the advantage of having great physical bulk even non invested meaning it can take tinted psyshock much better than some other regenvest users like meloetta, genesect, scizor or escavalier.

252 SpA Life Orb Adaptability Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Forretress: 121-143 (34.2 - 40.5%) -- Lol, Nothing
252 SpA Life Orb Adaptability Latios Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Forretress: 84-100 (23.7 - 28.3%) -- 94.6% chance to 4HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Tinted Lens Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Forretress: 179-213 (50.7 - 60.3%) -- Doesn't 2HKO without crit
252 SpA Life Orb Adaptability Latios Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Forretress: 84-100 (23.7 - 28.3%) -- 94.6% chance to 4HKO

That's it really, just wanted to share theses fun lil' sets.

Ok let's give this some cpr.

Jirachi @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 23 Spe
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt / Icy Wind

After motherlove pointed out that Scizor/Genesect checks don't take tinted Psyshock very well, I wanted to find something that could successfully pivot into any Latios set. I think he suggested Jirachi and I remembered it being particularly annoying in some matches I had with manu so i hit the calcs. I remembered manu using a Flash Fire lefties Jirachi as a rocker/bird check and since it did have the typing to be a decent bird check, I wondered if jirachi could actually fit both roles So, I started messing with the EVs and ultimately realized that with av, it could tank dracos from lati quite comfortably without investment and run max defense/max hp to check birds so I rolled with this set.

252 SpA Life Orb Adaptability Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Jirachi: 123-146 (30.4 - 36.1%) -- 45.1% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tinted Lens Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Jirachi: 185-218 (45.7 - 53.9%) -- 39.8% chance to 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Tinted Lens Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Jirachi: 273-325 (67.5 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Jirachi: 97-116 (24 - 28.7%) -- 97.6% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Jirachi: 131-155 (32.4 - 38.3%) -- 97.4% chance to 3HKO

The set essentially acts as a pivot to two of the most common threats, Latios and Birds, and provides a slow Uturn to a partner that can beat it in bulkier offensive teams. Regenerator makes sure it can do this throughout the match without getting worn down. I initially had Thunderbolt on it to hit Skarm, but motherlove replaced it because Skarm could just Roost off the damage from unboosted Thunderbolt and he felt Icy Wind checking Zygarde and Dragonite was a better option. (I didn't have Genesect in the team i gave to motherlove). He also lowered speed ivs so i couldpivot into Suicune Scalds and slow U-Turn out, avoid getting burned essentially. This was especially helpful because my Suicune check was a physical attacker.

Good partners to this include:

Scarf Tyranitar traps and kills Gengar which gives Jirachi trouble. It can also trap/kill the mons Jirachi is pivoting into (lati, birds). Jirachi is essentially a free switch for fire types like Entei and Victini as it cannot cripple it with Twave as they come in or get rocks up on predicted switches + its moves do minimal damage to them, this is where Swampert comes in. PH swampert walls Physical Victini + Entei and soft checks luke; it can also act as the rocks setter (which is what it did for me). Special variants of Victini are more threatening to Jirachi/Swampert and need to be pursuit trapped by Ttar. Genesect is also a good partner on a faster, more offensively inclined team as it can also beat all the things Jirachi is pivoting into thanks to Refrigerate espeed. It also forms a nice U-Turn core with Jirachi.

Last edited:

Laxpras

Ok let's give this some cpr.

Jirachi @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 23 Spe
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt / Icy Wind

After motherlove pointed out that Scizor/Genesect checks don't take tinted Psyshock very well, I wanted to find something that could successfully pivot into any Latios set. I think he suggested Jirachi and I remembered it being particularly annoying in some matches I had with manu so i hit the calcs. I remembered manu using a Flash Fire lefties Jirachi as a rocker/bird check and since it did have the typing to be a decent bird check, I wondered if jirachi could actually fit both roles So, I started messing with the EVs and ultimately realized that with av, it could tank dracos from lati quite comfortably without investment and run max defense/max hp to check birds so I rolled with this set.

252 SpA Life Orb Adaptability Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Jirachi: 123-146 (30.4 - 36.1%) -- 45.1% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tinted Lens Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Jirachi: 185-218 (45.7 - 53.9%) -- 39.8% chance to 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Tinted Lens Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Jirachi: 273-325 (67.5 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Jirachi: 97-116 (24 - 28.7%) -- 97.6% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Jirachi: 131-155 (32.4 - 38.3%) -- 97.4% chance to 3HKO

The set essentially acts as a pivot to two of the most common threats, Latios and Birds, and provides a slow Uturn to a partner that can beat it in bulkier offensive teams. Regenerator makes sure it can do this throughout the match without getting worn down. I initially had Thunderbolt on it to hit Skarm, but motherlove replaced it because Skarm could just Roost off the damage from unboosted Thunderbolt and he felt Icy Wind checking Zygarde and Dragonite was a better option. (I didn't have Genesect in the team i gave to motherlove). He also lowered speed ivs so i couldpivot into Suicune Scalds and slow U-Turn out, avoid getting burned essentially. This was especially helpful because my Suicune check was a physical attacker.

Good partners to this include:

Scarf Tyranitar traps and kills Gengar which gives Jirachi trouble. It can also trap/kill the mons Jirachi is pivoting into (lati, birds). Jirachi is essentially a free switch for fire types like Entei and Victini as it cannot cripple it with Twave as they come in or get rocks up on predicted switches + its moves do minimal damage to them, this is where Swampert comes in. PH swampert walls Physical Victini + Entei and soft checks luke; it can also act as the rocks setter (which is what it did for me). Special variants of Victini are more threatening to Jirachi/Swampert and need to be pursuit trapped by Ttar. Genesect is also a good partner on a faster, more offensively inclined team as it can also beat all the things Jirachi is pivoting into thanks to Refrigerate espeed. It also forms a nice U-Turn core with Jirachi.
I really like this Jirachi set. Its one of the only mons that checks both Latios and Gale Wings. I question why even considering ice wind tho, Tbolt is lovely for those gale wings users in general. As another teammate option, Motor Drive Manaphy would really appreciate a decent Gale Wings check, and loves U-turn momentum. Also, Thundurus is the main special attacker in AAA that threatens Jirachi. Manaphy isn't eating too many Dark Pulses, but it maybe can lure in a useful thunderbolt.
Also not using assault vest for Jirachi and running Wish makes it a more legit check to Gale Wings if you're running something like Diancie for Latios. That typing with Regen Wish passing is quite cheeky

Minor change to the banlist here, but after some convincing from TI I'm going to Ban Chatot instead of banning Chatter. This simplifies the banlist and sets a better precedent for future bans (That we shouldn't effectively ban half a Pokemon instead of banning it entirely) in both AAA and other OMs that may want to use AAA as a reference for how a banlist should be created.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

I have a question. It says you've assembled a 7 man council, including yourself, but you've only listed 4 users. What happened to the other 2?

On a more serious note, for those wondering about the second post, I'm responsible for that. I'm hoping to bring AAA Ubers back alive with Kl4ng's help!

Might as well announce it early so we can discuss the initial banlist. AAA Ubers is the Leader's Choice for July!

It will follow Ubers clauses. In addition, I'm thinking we start with Wonder Guard and Shadow Tag banned; possibly Shedinja too, because Sturdy. I'd rather give everything a fair chance instead of insta-banning; this is AAA Ubers after all. Thoughts?

Laxpras

YES I'm so happy. Initial thought is Sturdinja is maybe not too much for the meta as it doesn't get endeavor or recycle, and it still loses to the same things as it does in BH, which should only be more prevalent in AAA (Mainly hazards, but moldy anything really). However, I don't think Shedinja is good for the meta. It could possibly completely dominate/centralize the meta to a ridiculous extent. Thus, I would be in favor of not necessarily insta-banning Shedinja, but being ready to pull the ban trigger if it proves to be terrible for the meta in the first few days.

Same thing goes for Pdon. No, it doesn't get V-Create or reliable recovery, but it does get a download boost into what is still the best mon in the game. That's scary, and we should watch it carefully.

Outside of those two, I'm sure Tough Claws/Adapt/-Ate E-Killer Arceus will be super annoying, as will gale wings Ho-Oh/Yveltal. But again, I doubt there is any reason to ban right now, if at all... but still. Also Xerneas with different abilities (Tinted Lens, Magic Bounce) will be strong af, so unaware or other ways to handle will be def necessary.

Last edited:
for aaa ubers, i think an imposter ban would be an easily reasonable ban; imposter chansey leaking over from bh doesnt seem like it would be healthy. huge/pure power and pbond also seem like they would be quite overpowered and i think that they would be good candidates for an insta-ban. they pretty much outclass every other offensive ability and there would be no reason not to use them. huge power ekiller would probably ohko anything not ghost after one swords dance. id also add arena trap along with stag, because they are almost identical. a few of the better offensive abilities that might need to be looked into are probably protean, contrary (draco), and simple (xern)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)