UU Arcanine

.doge

QC: dodmen / Hikari / IronBullet93

GP: Winry. / P Squared

Overview
########

Arcanine has solid stats across the board, with nothing being completely unusable. Arcanine has two fantastic abilities, Flash Fire and Intimidate, and both of them are extremely useful in many situations. Arcanine stands out as an offensive Fire-type with great coverage moves such as Crunch, Close Combat, Extreme Speed, and Wild Charge, allowing it to clean up solidly late-game. However, Arcanine also has a niche as a defensive Fire-type, as its Defense skyrockets after an Intimidate, making it a great switch-in to physical attacks. Having decent recovery in Morning Sun also helps its cause; however, Arcanine has a huge weakness to Stealth Rock, making it hard to switch in multiple times if entry hazards are set up.

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 1: Morning Sun
move 2: Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
move 3: Flare Blitz
move 4: Extreme Speed / Roar
ability: Intimidate
item: Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
evs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
nature: Impish

Moves
========

Morning Sun gives Arcanine a solid way to recover HP; however, be aware of the changes that take place under weather. Will-O-Wisp burns the foe for residual damage and lowers the foe's Attack stat. Toxic can be used for physical walls such as Swampert, which does not take much damage from Arcanine's Flare Blitz, and gives more residual damage than Will-O-Wisp. Flare Blitz is a powerful STAB move that hits hard, even without investment, and it prevents Arcanine from being too passive, although the recoil can slowly wear down Arcanine after enough use. Extreme Speed can be used to pick off weakened or faster foes if needed. Roar can be used to force out foes that attempt to set up if Arcanine is not in a position to recover damage from Flare Blitz recoil.

Set Details
========

The given EVs maximize Arcanine's physical bulk while allowing it to take less damage from Stealth Rock upon switching in and giving Arcanine a Leftovers number. An Impish nature raises Arcanine's solid physical bulk. Leftovers maximizes Arcanine's time on the field while slightly reducing the damage taken from possible recoil moves and entry hazards. Rocky Helmet is another option to punish common U-turn users such as Mienshao and Crobat. An alternate EV spread of 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spe can be used to outspeed Adamant Honchkrow and attempt to KO it with Flare Blitz after Stealth Rock damage.

Usage Tips
========

Arcanine does not appreciate the extra damage taken from Stealth Rock, as upon switching in, losing 25% of its total HP is extremely detrimental and will reduce Arcanine's time on the field tremendously. Arcanine, after an Intimidate, is a fantastic pivot into physical attackers such as Entei, Mienshao, and Heracross. Arcanine appreciates having bulky Water-types such as Suicune, Vaporeon, and Tentacruel KOed or at least substantially weakened, as these Pokemon are generally a free switch-in to all of Arcanine's attacks and can force it out. Morning Sun only has 8 PP, so knowing when to recover, usually on an opponent's predicted switch, is vital.

Team Options
========

Arcanine appreciates a Defogger or a Rapid Spin user as a partner so it does not have to waste a turn using Morning Sun to recover the damage taken from entry hazards. Mega Blastoise works as a fantastic teammate that can not only clear away entry hazards, but scare away the Rock-type Pokemon that can threaten Arcanine. Grass-type Pokemon such as Shaymin and Whimiscott can switch in comfortably on most Water- and Ground-type attacks aimed at Arcanine. Specially defensive Pokemon such as Blissey and Florges can switch in on special attacks that were meant for Arcanine.

Offensive
########
name: Offensive
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Extreme Speed
move 3: Wild Charge
move 4: Close Combat / Crunch
ability: Flash Fire / Intimidate
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly / Adamant

Moves
========

Flare Blitz is Arcanine's most powerful attack, and it is backed by high Base Power and STAB. Extreme Speed can hit faster foes such as Mega Beedrill or Mienshao after they have been weakened. Wild Charge does a hefty chunk to bulky Water-type Pokemon such as Suicune, Alomomola, Empoleon, and Tentacruel. Close Combat hits Dark-type Pokemon such as Hydregion and Umbreon and Rock-type Pokemon such as Rhyperior and Tyrantrum super effectively. Crunch hits Chandelure, which takes minimal damage from any of Arcanine's attacks and can get a Flash Fire boost from being hit by Flare Blitz, for super effective damage. Morning Sun is an option to heal off the massive damage that Arcanine receives from its recoil moves.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack EVs allow Arcanine to hit as hard as possible. A Jolly nature with maximum Speed allows Arcanine to outspeed Jolly Heracross, Entei and non-Choice Scarf Krookodile. An Adamant nature allows Arcanine to hit harder with its attacks and 2HKO Suicune with Wild Charge after Stealth Rock damage and a small amount of chip damage. Flash Fire allows Arcanine to freely switch into a predicted Fire move, such as Will-O-Wisp, and it boosts Flare Blitz's power to insane levels. Intimidate is an option to give Arcanine fantastic physical bulk even without investment. Life Orb boosts Arcanine's Attack power and gives it the freedom of switching moves; however, it gets worn down extremely fast with the combination of Life Orb and Flare Blitz recoil.

Usage Tips
========

Heavy prediction is needed when using Arcanine, as incoming Flash Fire users may get a boost from its Flare Blitz and bulky Water-type Pokemon might get a free switch in. Keep in mind the massive recoil Arcanine receives from the combination of Life Orb and Flare Blitz or Wild Charge, especially if there are entry hazards on the field. Do not switch Arcanine in multiple times when there are entry hazards on your side of the field, as taking 25% upon entry limits Arcanine's time even more.

Team Options
========

Considering Arcanine has an awful weakness to Stealth Rock, a Defogger or Rapid Spin user is nearly mandatory as a partner. Empoleon and Mega Blastoise can not only clear hazards, but they can threaten out Rock-type Pokemon with their STAB attacks. Grass- or Water-type Pokemon such as Chesnaught and Suicune can switch into predicted Ground and Water-type attacks aimed at Arcanine. When using Intimidate, special walls such as Florges and Blissey can freely switch into special attacks that Arcanine might have trouble taking.

Other Options
########

Overheat can hit physical walls that try to switch into Arcanine hard, and Arcanine will not receive the nasty recoil associated with Flare Blitz. A Choice Band can be used over Life Orb to hit with more firepower and avoid the recoil taken from Life Orb; however, Arcanine usually appreciates the ability to switch between its coverage moves.

Checks & Counters
########

**Flash Fire users**: Flash Fire users, especially Chandelure and defensive Arcanine itself, can freely switch into Arcanine's Flare Blitz and get a boost to their own Fire-type moves. Chandelure fears switching into a Toxic or Crunch, however.

**Entry Hazards**: Entry hazards severely limit Arcanine's time on the field, as Arcanine is immune to none of them and is weak to Stealth Rock.

**Bulky Water-types**: Even with Wild Charge, most bulky Water-types, such as Alomomola and Suicune, can stall out Arcanine and make it take recoil damage.

**Rock-types**: Bulky Rock-types such as Rhyperior can wall Arcanine unless it has Close Combat, which still fails to 2HKO Rhyperior, although it must remain wary of Will-O-Wisp.

**Faster Threats**: Faster threats such as Mega Aerodactyl, which even resists Extreme Speed, can revenge kill or threaten Arcanine out.

**Ground-types**: Ground-types such as Krookodile, Donphan, and Hippodon can take on both Arcanine sets without much fear and can force Arcanine out with their respective STAB attacks.

**Special Attackers**: Special attackers such as Hydreigon and Nidoqueen can hit Arcanine on its uninvested Special Defense.

.doge
QC: Dodmen / Hikari /

GP: /

Overview
########
  • Is cute
  • Two great abilities in Intimidate and Flash Fire
  • Decent stats across the board, with nothing unusable
  • Good coverage moves such as Crunch, Close Combat, Wild Charge and has E-Speed to clean up late-game
  • Has recovery in Morning Sun
  • Has a huge weakness to entry hazards including the very common Stealth Rock
Defensive
########
Moves
========
  • Morning Sun is for recovery, but be aware of the changes to its effects during weather
  • Will-O-Wisp for residual damage and to lower the foe's Attack stat
  • Toxic is for walls such as Swampert that Arcanine not hit hard with Flare Blitz, and it gives more gradual damage than Will-O-Wisp
  • Flare Blitz hits hard without much investment and prevents Arcanine from being set-up fodder, although recoil can limit Arcanine's time on the field
  • Extreme Speed can pick off weakened or faster foes if needed
  • Roar can be used to switch out set-up sweepers such as Swords Dance Heracross if Arcanine can not do much with Flare Blitz or does not want to take recoil
Set Details
========
  • The EVs given maximize Arcanine's physical bulk while taking less damage from Stealth Rock and giving Arcanine a Leftovers number
  • An Impish nature maximizes Arcanine's solid physical bulk
  • Leftovers maximize Arcanine's time on the field while slightly reducing recoil taken from Flare Blitz
  • Rocky Helmet can be used to punish U-Turn users such as Crobat
  • An alternate EV spread of 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spe can be used to outspeed Adamant Honchkrow
Usage Tips
========
  • Arcanine really wants to have Stealth Rock off the field, as a wall losing 25% for each switch in reduces time on the field tremendously
  • Arcanine takes physical hits fantastically well after Intimidate and works as a great switch in to physical attackers such as Mienshao and Entei
  • Arcanine appreciates having bulky Water-types at least weakened substantially before attempting to stay on the field for long periods of time
  • Morning Sun only has 8 PP, so knowing when to heal, usually on an opponent's switch, is very important to keeping Arcanine healthy.
Team Options
========
  • Arcanine appreciates the use of a Defogger so it does not have to waste a turn using Morning Sun to recover the damage done from Stealth Rock
  • Grass-types such as Shaymin work great to endure the Water and Ground-type moves aimed at Arcanine
  • Specially defensive Pokemon such as Florges and Blissey can sponge many of the Special hits that Arcanine has trouble with
Offensive
########
Moves
========
  • Flare Blitz for a high powered STAB that hits extremely hard
  • Extreme Speed for powerful priority and can beat weakened foes and foes that might outspeed Arcanine
  • Wild Charge to beat bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Alomomola
  • Close Combat hits Dark and Rock-types super effectively, as well as Snorlax
  • Crunch is an option for Chandelure who doesn't take much from or is immune to Arcanine's other moves
  • Morning Sun can be used to help Arcanine recover from the massive recoil that its moves cause
Set Details
========
  • Maximum Attack and Speed EVs are to hit as hard as possible
  • Jolly allows Arcanine to outspeed Jolly Heracross, Entei and Krookodile.
  • Adamant nature allows for more firepower and to 2HKO Suicune after Stealth Rock and a bit of chip damage
  • Flash Fire can be used to make Arcanine a pivot into Fire-type attacks and boosts Flare Blitz to insane power
  • Intimidate can be used to give Arcanine impressive physical bulk
  • Life Orb is used to give Arcanine the freedom to switch moves, although it wears it down very quickly with the multiple recoil moves
Usage Tips
========
  • Prediction is a large factor in using Arcanine, as you do not want to Flare Blitz on an incoming Flash Fire user
  • Beware of the massive recoil Arcanine takes, especially with entry hazards up
  • Try not to switch Arcanine in repetitively when there are hazards up, as taking 25% from Rocks limit Arcanine's time even more
Team Options
========
  • As Arcanine has a weakness to Stealth Rock, a Defogger or Rapid Spinner such as Empoleon or Mega Blastoise, who can also scare off Rock types, is extremely helpful
  • Defensive Grass or Water types help sponge Ground and Water type moves aimed at Arcanine respectively
  • If using Intimidate, you can use a Special wall to help take hits that Arcanine cannot
Other Options
########
  • Overheat can surprise physical walls and you do not take recoil damage
  • Choice Band can be used to give Arcanine more firepower than Life Orb and gives it less recoil damage, although you cannot switch moves while using it.

Checks & Counters
########
**Flash Fire users**: Flash Fire users, especially Chandelure and Defensive Arcanine itself, can freely switch into Arcanine's Flare Blitz and get a boost to their own Fire-type moves. Chandelure fears switching into a Toxic or Crunch, however.
**Entry Hazards**: Entry hazards severely limit Arcanine's time on the field, as Arcanine is immune to none of them.
**Bulky Water-types**: Even with Wild Charge, most bulky Water types, like Alomomola and Suicune, can stall out Arcanine and make it take recoil damage.
**Rock-types**: Bulky Rock-types such as Rhyperior can wall Arcanine unless it has Close Combat, which still fails to 2HKO Rhyperior, although it must remain wary of Will-O-Wisp.
**Faster threats**: Faster threats such as Mega Aerodactyl, who even resists Extreme Speed, can revenge kill or threaten Arcanine out.
**Ground-Types**: Ground types such as Krookodile, Donphan and Hippodown can take on both Arcanine sets without much fear
**Special Attackers**: Special Attackers such as Hydregion and Nidoqueen can hit Arcanine on the frailer defensive side

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I know this is in WIP, but I do truly believe that the defensive set is why you use RK9 > other Fire-type (Entei). I say it should be Defensive set first then the Offensive set. But I am not QC so I would make sure a QC member is ok with it first lol.

I know this is in WIP, but I do truly believe that the defensive set is why you use RK9 > other Fire-type (Entei). I say it should be Defensive set first then the Offensive set. But I am not QC so I would make sure a QC member is ok with it first lol.
I know, I was going to do that. I fix the order when I'm done typing everything. It's weird, I know.
I fixed it for you anyways :]

I'll get this done by Saturday I promise xoxo

Reactions: nv

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I know, I was going to do that. I fix the order when I'm done typing everything. It's weird, I know.
I fixed it for you anyways :]

I'll get this done by Saturday I promise xoxo
Hey it is fine if you do it that way, lol. But glad to know I was special enough for you to fix it for me :P

I believe this is QC ready. I'm sure I missed something somewhere though. I'm not awake today

Edit @ below:
Thanks. I'll fix this up once I get a bit more sleep

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
Personal opinion, but I believe you should mentioned Rocky Helmet in Set Details only on the defensive set. I feel it warrants more use outside of OO just because unlike most walls, it has reliable recovery which means it can recover the damage it takes from stray U-turns while also being able to wear down the opponent quicker, especially compounded with entry hazards. I do say Leftovers is still the better item as the passive recovery is nice (especially with Arcanine's weakness to Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes) but I believe Rocky Helmet deserves more than a OO mention. Not QC tho so maybe someone from QC can elaborate lol.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Few comments because I've used arcanine a decent bit and wrote the original analysis (not in order, just jumping around here and there):
  • mention an alternate spread in set details that outpaces adamant honchkrow, which is 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spe
  • Agreeing with above, putting helmet in oo implies that it can be used on either set which is not true
  • dont know if anything has changed in the meta to make CB better, but I feel that LO is generally the best item to take advantage of arcanine's decent coverage movepool; and cb was originally in oo. I'd personally either move it back to oo or put it in set details.
  • add faster pokemon to c&c, especially those that resist espeed like mega aerodactyl
  • try and beef up the usage tips for the 1st set, as the second one is more just "click coverage moves" but for the defensive set its important for the reader to know when the best time to recover is (note how morning sun only has 8 pp, as in try to preserve it if possible), and maybe say to cripple bulky waters or other resists like hydreigon that may switch in with a status move
  • in the overview, you say that it faces competition from entei, but I'm not too sure I agree with that since arcanine is generally better suited to a defensive role (and obviosly entei isnt), and I'd even say that it has a big advantage over entei as an offensive fire type due to its significantly better coverage movepool
  • in moves of the first set give more examples of what things hit, like what toxic targets and what setup sweepers roar is used to phase out; just saying that toxic is for walls and has more gradual damage is relatively vague.
  • An Impish nature lowers the stat that Arcanine doesn't use to increase Defense
I feel this could be worded better, something along the lines of "an impish nature increases arcanine's defense stat to capitalize on its solid bulk". It's not really necessary to say that an impish nature lowers the unwanted stat since thats kinda obvious.

**Flash Fire users**: Flash Fire users, especially Chandelure, can freely switch into Arcanine's Flare Blitz and get a boost to their own Fire-type moves.
Add here that Chandelure has to be wary of switching into Toxic or Crunch.

**Rock-types**: Bulky Rock-types such as Rhyperior can wall Arcanine unless it has Close Combat, which still fails to 2HKO Rhyperior
Add here that the bulky Rock-types which resist its stab (mega aero can check the offensive set) have to be wary of wisp, which really cripples rhyperior.

• Extreme Speed for powerful priority and can beat weakened foes
Instead of weakened, it would be clearer to say faster foes because that's mainly what espeed is used for, if they're weakened arcanine can finish them off provided its faster.

Hope this helped, feel free to disagree with anything.

I wouldn't say Toxic is for Umbreon, because it does more harm than good to Arcanine.

Roar can be used to switch out set-up sweepers such as Swords Dance Heracross if Arcanine can not do much with Flare Blitz or does not want to take recoil
Just say it forces out its foes, which is helpful for racking up hazard damage, and that can help with some setup sweepers. Note that SD Heracross isn't really one of them, using Roar forces you to predict it to switch out (in which case it's switching out by itself), because if it stays in and uses CC Arcanine won't be able to deal with it again during that match:

+1 252 Atk Heracross Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Arcanine: 237-280 (61.8 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Hi. I'm sorry this took so long but I've been physically and mentally exhausted for the past few days and haven't had a lot of time to get on Smogon. Everything has been updated and it should be up to par now.

Add Ground-types to C&C with Rock types since things like Hippo, Donphan, and Krookodile can give both Arcanine variants some trouble. Special Attackers deserves a section in C&C as well, with Arcanine struggling against things like Hydreigon, Nidoqueen, and Mega Pidgeot.

For the offensive set, talk about the two natures in Set Details. Adamant is used for more power (may want to list a couple OHKO/2HKOs here) while Jolly use used to outspeed Krookodile, Jolly Heracross, and Entei. Actually I would slash Jolly before Adamant on the offensive set just to get the jump on these few things. Mention that Snorlax is also a target of Close Combat. Also for this set, just have a bullet point for Morning Sun in case the user would like to offset the massive recoil that Arcanine takes (doesn't really deserve a slash though imo). Also tagging CoolStoryBrobat cause I know you've used the offensive set if there's anything you'd like to add.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
add/correct remove comments
Overview
########

Arcanine has solid stats across the board, with nothing being completely unusable. Arcanine has two fantastic abilities, Flash Fire and Intimidate, and both of them are extremely useful in many situations. Arcanine stands out as an offensive Fire-type with great coverage moves such as Crunch, Close Combat, Extreme Speed, [ac] and Wild Charge, allowing it to clean up solidly late-game. However, Arcanine also has a niche as a defensive Fire-type, as its physical Defense skyrockets after an Intimidate, making it a great switch-in to physical attacks. Having decent recovery in Morning Sun also helps its cause; [semi > comma] however, Arcanine has a huge weakness to Stealth Rock, making it hard to switch in multiple times if entry hazards are set up.

Defensive
########

Moves
========

Morning Sun gives Arcanine a solid way to recover HP; [semi > comma] however, be aware of the changes that take place under weather. Will-O-Wisp burns the foe opponent for residual damage and lowers the foe's Attack stat even lower. Toxic can be used for physical walls such as Swampert, which does not take much damage from Arcanine's Flare Blitz, and gives more residual damage than Will-O-Wisp. Flare Blitz is a powerful STAB move that hits hard, even without investment, and it prevents Arcanine from being too passive, although the recoil can slowly wear down Arcanine after enough use. Extreme Speed can be used to pick off weakened or faster foes if needed. Roar can be used to force out foes that who attempt to set up if Arcanine is not in a position to recover appreciate damage from Flare Blitz recoil.

Set Details
========

The given EVs maximize Arcanine's physical bulk, [rc] while allowing it to take taking less damage from Stealth Rock upon switching in and switch ins, [rc] as well as giving Arcanine a Leftovers number. An Impish nature raises Arcanine's solid physical bulk. Leftovers maximizes Arcanine's time on the field, [rc] while slightly reducing the damage taken from possible recoil moves and entry hazards. Rocky Helmet is another option to punish common U-turn users such as Mienshao and Crobat. An alternate EV spread of 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spe can be used to outspeed Adamant Honchkrow and attempt to KO it with Flare Blitz after Stealth Rock damage.

Usage Tips
========

Arcanine does not appreciate the extra damage taken from Stealth Rock, as upon switch in, losing 25% of its total HP is extremely detrimental and will reduce Arcanine's time on the field tremendously. Arcanine, after an Intimidate, is a fantastic pivot into physical attackers such as Entei, Mienshao, [ac] and Heracross. Arcanine apprentices having bulky Water-types such as Suicune, Vaporeon, [ac] and Tentacruel KOed or at least substantially weakened, as since these Pokemon are generally a free switch-in to all of Arcanine's attacks and can force it out. Morning Sun only has 8 PP, so knowing when to recover, usually on an opponent's predicted switch, is vital.

Team Options
========

Arcanine appreciates the use of a Defogger or a Rapid Spin user as a partner Spinner so it does not have to waste a turn using Morning Sun to recover the damage taken done from entry hazards. Mega Blastoise works as a fantastic teammate that who can not only clear away entry hazards, [rc] but scare away the Rock-type Pokemon that who can threaten Arcanine. Grass-type Pokemon such as Shaymin and Whimiscott can switch in comfortably on to most Water- and Ground-type attacks aimed at Arcanine. Specially defensive Pokemon such as Blissey and Florges can switch in on to specially- [remove hyphen] oriented attacks that were meant for Arcanine.

Offensive
########

Moves
========

Flare Blitz is Arcanine's most powerful attack, and it is backed by a high Base Power and STAB. Extreme Speed can hit faster foes such as Mega Beedrill or Mienshao after they have been weakened. Wild Charge does a hefty chunk to bulky Water-type Pokemon such as Suicune, Alomomola, Empoleon, [ac] and Tentacruel. Close Combat hits Dark-type Pokemon such as Hydregion and Umbreon and Rock-type Pokemon such as Rhyperior and Tyrantrum super effectively. Crunch hits Chandelure for super effective damage, which takes minimal damage from any of Arcanine's attacks and can get a Flash Fire boost from its being hit by Flare Blitz. Morning Sun is an option to heal off the massive damage that Arcanine receives from its recoil moves.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack EVs allow Arcanine to hit as hard as possible. A Jolly nature with maximum Speed allows Arcanine to outspeed Jolly Heracross, Entei, [ac] and non-Choice Scarf Krookodile. An Adamant nature allows Arcanine to hit harder with its attacks and is able to 2HKO Suicune with Wild Charge after Stealth Rock and a small amount of chip damage. Flash Fire allows Arcanine to freely switch into a predicted Fire move, [ac] such as Will-O-Wisp, and it boosts Flare Blitz's power to insane levels. Intimidate is an option to give Arcanine fantastic physical bulk even without investment. Life Orb boots Arcanine's Attack power and gives it the freedom of switching moves; [semi > comma] however, [ac] it gets worn down extremely fast with the combination of Life Orb recoil and Flare Blitz recoil.

Usage Tips
========

Heavy prediction is needed when using Arcanine, as incoming Flash Fire users may get a boost from its Flare Blitz,[rc] go and bulky Water-type Pokemon might get a free switch in. Keep in mind of the massive recoil Arcanine receives from the in combination of Life Orb and Flare Blitz or Wild Charge, especially if there are entry hazards on the field. Do not switch Arcanine in multiple times when there are entry hazards on your side of the field, as taking 25% upon entry limits Arcanine's time even more.

Team Options
========

Considering Arcanine has an awful weakness to Stealth Rock, a Defogger or Rapid Spinner Spin user is nearly mandatory as a partner. Empoleon and Mega Blastoise can not only clear entry hazards, but they can threaten out Rock-type Pokemon with their STAB attacks. Grass- or Water-type [remove space before "type] Pokemon such as Chesnaught and Suicune can switch into predicted Ground- and Water-type attacks aimed at Arcanine. When using Intimidate, special walls such as Florges and Blissey can freely switch in against specially-[remove hyphen] oriented attacks that Arcanine might have trouble taking.

Other Options
########

Overheat can hit physical walls that try to switch into Arcanine hard, and Arcanine won't you don't receive the nasty recoil associated with Flare Blitz. A Choice Band can be used over Life Orb to hit with more firepower and avoid the recoil taken from Life Orb; [semi > comma] however, [ac] Arcanine usually appreciates the ability to switch between its coverage moves.

Checks & Counters
########

**Flash Fire users**: Flash Fire users, especially Chandelure and defensive Arcanine itself, can freely switch into Arcanine's Flare Blitz and get a boost to their own Fire-type moves. Chandelure fears switching into a Toxic or Crunch, however.

**Entry Hazards**: Entry hazards severely limit Arcanine's time on the field, as Arcanine is immune to none of them and is weak to Stealth Rock.

**Bulky Water-types**: Even with Wild Charge, most bulky Water types, such as like Alomomola and Suicune, can stall out Arcanine and make it take recoil damage.

**Faster threats**: Faster threats such as Mega Aerodactyl, which who even resists Extreme Speed, can revenge kill or threaten Arcanine out.

**Ground-types**: Ground-types such as Krookodile, Donphan, [ac] and Hippodown can take on both Arcanine sets without much fear. [period]

**Special Attackers**: Special attackers such as Hydregion and Nidoqueen can hit Arcanine on its the frailer defensive side. [period]
1/2

Last edited:

Psywaves

Procrastinating Pedantic Perfectionist™
is a Contributor Alumnus
Add
Capitalise/capital -> lower case

Remove
Comments

Overview
########

Arcanine has solid stats across the board, with nothing being completely unusable. Arcanine has two fantastic abilities, Flash Fire and Intimidate, and both of them are extremely useful in many situations. Arcanine stands out as an offensive Fire-type with great coverage moves such as Crunch, Close Combat, Extreme Speed, and Wild Charge, allowing it to clean up solidly late-game. However, Arcanine also has a niche as a defensive Fire-type, as its Defense skyrockets after an Intimidate, making it a great switch-(hyphen)in to physical attacks. (I guess this is pretty pedantic of me, but Arcanine's Defense stat doesn't skyrocket; its ability to take hits does) Having decent recovery in Morning Sun also helps its cause; however, Arcanine has a huge weakness to Stealth Rock, making it hard to switch in multiple times if entry hazards are set up.

Defensive
########

Moves
========

Morning Sun gives Arcanine a solid way to recover HP; however, be aware of the changes that take place under weather. Will-O-Wisp burns the foe for residual damage and lowers the foe's Attack stat. Toxic can be used for physical walls such as Swampert, which does not take much damage from Arcanine's Flare Blitz, and gives more residual damage than Will-O-Wisp. Flare Blitz is a powerful STAB move that hits hard, even without investment, and it prevents Arcanine from being too passive, although the recoil can slowly wear down Arcanine after enough use. Extreme Speed can be used to pick off weakened or faster foes if needed. Roar can be used to force out foes that attempt to set up if Arcanine is not in a position to recover damage from Flare Blitz recoil.

Set Details
========

The given EVs maximize Arcanine's physical bulk while allowing it to take less damage from Stealth Rock upon switch-in switching in and giving Arcanine a Leftovers number. An Impish nature raises Arcanine's solid physical bulk. Leftovers maximizes Arcanine's time on the field while slightly reducing the damage taken from possible recoil moves and entry hazards. Rocky Helmet is another option to punish common U-turn users such as Mienshao and Crobat. An alternate EV spread of 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spe can be used to outspeed Adamant Honchkrow and attempt to KO it with Flare Blitz after Stealth Rock damage.

Usage Tips
========

Arcanine does not appreciate the extra damage taken from Stealth Rock, as upon switching in, losing 25% of its total HP is extremely detrimental and will reduce Arcanine's time on the field tremendously. Arcanine, after an Intimidate, is a fantastic pivot into physical attackers such as Entei, Mienshao, and Heracross. Arcanine apprentices appreciates having bulky Water-types such as Suicune, Vaporeon, and Tentacruel KOed or at least substantially weakened, as these Pokemon are generally a free switch-in to all of Arcanine's attacks and can force it out. Morning Sun only has 8 PP, so knowing when to recover, usually on an opponent's predicted switch, is vital.

Team Options
========

Arcanine appreciates a Defogger or a Rapid Spin user as a partner so it does not have to waste a turn using Morning Sun to recover the damage taken from entry hazards. Mega Blastoise works as a fantastic teammate that can not only clear away entry hazards, but scare away the Rock-type Pokemon that can threaten Arcanine. Grass-type Pokemon such as Shaymin and Whimiscott can switch in comfortably on most Water- and Ground-type attacks aimed at Arcanine. Specially defensive Pokemon such as Blissey and Florges can switch in on specially oriented attacks that were meant for Arcanine.

Offensive
########

Moves
========

Flare Blitz is Arcanine's most powerful attack, and it is backed by high Base Power and STAB. Extreme Speed can hit faster foes such as Mega Beedrill or Mienshao after they have been weakened. Wild Charge does a hefty chunk to bulky Water-type Pokemon such as Suicune, Alomomola, Empoleon, and Tentacruel. Close Combat hits Dark-type Pokemon such as Hydregion and Umbreon and Rock-type Pokemon such as Rhyperior and Tyrantrum super effectively. Crunch hits Chandelure for super effective damage, which takes minimal damage from any of Arcanine's attacks and can get a Flash Fire boost from being hit by Flare Blitz, for super effective damage. Morning Sun is an option to heal off the massive damage that Arcanine receives from its recoil moves.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack EVs allow Arcanine to hit as hard as possible. A Jolly nature with maximum Speed allows Arcanine to outspeed Jolly Heracross, Entei and non-Choice Scarf Krookodile. An Adamant nature allows Arcanine to hit harder with its attacks and is able to 2HKO Suicune with Wild Charge after Stealth Rock damage and a small amount of chip damage. Flash Fire allows Arcanine to freely switch into a predicted Fire move, such as Will-O-Wisp, and it boosts Flare Blitz's power to insane levels. Intimidate is an option to give Arcanine fantastic physical bulk even without investment. Life Orb boosts Arcanine's Attack power and gives it the freedom of switching moves (I know the freedom of switching moves bit is a comparison to Choice Band because it's another boosting item, but I'm not completely sure if it's necessary given that CB isn't slashed and there's not a dedicated CB set); however, it gets worn down extremely fast with the combination of Life Orb and Flare Blitz recoil.

Usage Tips
========

Heavy prediction is needed when using Arcanine, as incoming Flash Fire users may get a boost from its Flare Blitz and bulky Water-type Pokemon might get a free switch in. Keep in mind the massive recoil Arcanine receives from the combination of Life Orb and Flare Blitz or Wild Charge, especially if there are entry hazards on the field. Do not switch Arcanine in multiple times when there are entry hazards on your side of the field, as taking 25% upon entry limits Arcanine's time even more.

Team Options
========

Considering Arcanine has an awful weakness to Stealth Rock, a Defogger or Rapid Spin user is nearly mandatory as a partner. Empoleon and Mega Blastoise can not only clear hazards, but they can threaten out Rock-type Pokemon with their STAB attacks. Grass- or Water-type Pokemon such as Chesnaught and Suicune can switch into predicted Ground and Water-type attacks aimed at Arcanine. When using Intimidate, special walls such as Florges and Blissey can freely switch into against specially oriented attacks that Arcanine might have trouble taking.

Other Options
########

Overheat can hit physical walls that try to switch into Arcanine hard, and Arcanine will not receive the nasty recoil associated with Flare Blitz. A Choice Band can be used over Life Orb to hit with more firepower and avoid the recoil taken from Life Orb; however, Arcanine usually appreciates the ability to switch between its coverage moves.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Water-types**: Even with Wild Charge, most bulky Water-(hyphen)types, such as Alomomola and Suicune, can stall out Arcanine and make it take recoil damage.

**Faster Threats**: Faster threats such as Mega Aerodactyl, which even resists Extreme Speed, can revenge kill or threaten Arcanine out.

**Ground-types**: Ground-types such as Krookodile, Donphan, and Hippodown can take on both Arcanine sets without much fear. (I'd mention what they can do in return to Arcanine, i.e hit it with super effective STAB moves)

**Special Attackers**: Special attackers such as Hydreigion and Nidoqueen can hit Arcanine hard on the frailer defensive side its uninvested Special Defense (I guess its Special Defense is only weaker due to lack of investment).

GP 2/2 :)

Thank you everybody, this is done and ready for upload ~(^-^)~

EDIT: Hopefully I'll finish writing Goodra this weekend!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)