-

Gym Queue:
Toon (Water Quals)

Battling Queue:
-

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
1) PM me stating how you intend to tackle the qualifiers. Nothing too big, just something to get us started.

Toon

Do notice, though, that this tutoring aims for qualifiers but also for your general role as a gym leader. Which means I will treat you as one. So I won't outright give you the answer in any case and I will give pointers and ask questions regarding stuff not on the qualifiers.

2) Doubles 202 is officially back on the drawing board simply because I don't have the time needed to make it happen. The two current tests will "continue" normally, but don't expect them to result in an opening for now.

Starting ASB Queue:
-

Reffing Queue:
-

Gym Queue:
-

Battling Queue:
-

Program: Starting ASB
Timezone:
Pacific Time
ASB Experience (if any): None whatsoever.
Why do you want to join Smogon's ASB: It seems like it will be fun.
Why do you want to be tutored: Because, as mentioned above, I have no experience in ASB.
Any extra comments about yourself: This beedrill will pierce the heavens!

Timezone:
Eastern Time
ASB Experience (if any): I just registered my starting team a while ago.
Why do you want to join Smogon's ASB: It just seems like the perfect blend between the ASB I've seen and the actual in-game mechanics.
Why do you want to be tutored: To perform the absolute best I can each battle!
Any extra comments about yourself: Snake, try to remember some of the basics of HE-Q-HE.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
I'm moving Toon's 202 to the queue for a subtutor, since I'm not able to focus on it at all. And I'll probably not be taking any more 202s whilst it's in Triples format, because it's excessively long, more difficult to order in, and actually doesn't do anything decent in further testing.

Starting ASB Queue:
War Anvil

Reffing Queue:
Toon [202 SubTutor]

Gym Queue:
-

Battling Queue:
-

Program: Gym
Gym you intend to challenge: Steel [Qualifiers]
Difficulties you are facing: Teambuilding, mostly.
Timezone: GMT -7
Why do you want to be tutored: I want to give these qualifiers my best shot.
Any extra comments about yourself: Is it weird if Frosty takes this because he's the examiner?

Starting ASB Queue:
War Anvil

Reffing Queue:
Toon [202 SubTutor]

Gym Queue:
Iron Caliber

Battling Queue:
-

Timezone:
-0500 [Eastern Standard]
ASB Experience (if any): Very little.
Why do you want to join Smogon's ASB: I had an account roughly three years, but I was only able to play for a month's time.
Why do you want to be tutored: I would like a mentor as to help me become better at the game, and assist me with relearning the system.
Any extra comments about yourself: None that are necessary.

Frosty

=_=
Program: Gym
Gym you intend to challenge: Steel [Qualifiers]
Difficulties you are facing: Teambuilding, mostly.
Timezone: GMT -7
Why do you want to be tutored: I want to give these qualifiers my best shot.
Any extra comments about yourself: Is it weird if Frosty takes this because he's the examiner?

Starting ASB Queue:
War Anvil

Reffing Queue:
Toon [202 SubTutor]

Gym Queue:
Iron Caliber

Battling Queue:
-
PM me what you have so far. And expect slow updates -_-

Starting ASB Queue:
War Anvil
Willow Wisps

Reffing Queue:
-

Gym Queue:

-

Battling Queue:
-

Alrighty, so. It really breaks my heart to see people on the Starting ASB queue =(

Taking Willow Wisps =)
I'll put up a conversation tomorrow morning and we can get started.

Starting ASB Queue:
*crickets*

Reffing Queue:
-

Gym Queue:

-

Battling Queue:
-

nightblitz42

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
This is the place, right? Let's do this~ (Inhales deeply)... I'd like to learn how to ref please!
Program: Reffing
Course: 101
Timezone: Pacific Time (UTC-8)
Reffing Experience (if any): Nope :3
Why do you want to be tutored:

I hope my experiences reffing matches will teach me a few things about the more subtle details of ASB battling and make me a better player overall. Also, reffing well might end up helping the ASB community as a whole, and I guess that would be nice too.
Any extra comments about yourself:
I enjoy ASB battling more than actual Pokemon battling, it seems.

Starting ASB Queue:
-

Reffing Queue:

Nightblitz42 (Reffing 101)

Gym Queue:
-

Battling Queue:
-

Frosty

=_=
I will do a test run for singles battling 202 mentorship.

I want one volunteer to be mentored and one to ref it. Both are necessary.

Jayelt413 can't be the pupil since he is on the test run of doubles. Mowtom also can't for the same reason.

Any takers?

Last edited:

Frosty

=_=
AWailOfATail : I'd rather tutor you after a little while. The tutoring 202 program assumes you have some experience in serious FE Battles. Sorry.

As for the others, I will need to check if I can have more than one battle, soo...

anyone else willing to ref?

Frosty

=_=
*sigh*

smashlloyd20
Rainman Legends
ZhengTann

Read the below

Singles Battling 202
Target Audience:
Manager: Frosty
Tutors: Frosty (PM Frosty if you want in. Standards are high as high can be. Passing this program is pretty much a requirement, unless your record speaks for itself)
WARNING: This course isn't attached to any specific battle. This will most likely take longer than the signups period on tourneys or the DQ period to send in serious battles. If you are in a hurry, don't bother. The odds of you not finishing in time are considerable, so take it at your own peril. In other words: this will take long, very long, suck it up.
WARNING 2.0: The Manager reserves the right to outright deny entrance of players deemed not dominating the basics, as well as to give priority on the queue to players who proved themselves to be potentially better tutors after passing, provided there is a need for tutors.

Tutor and Pupil will have a match reffed by the tutor or a third party with the following rules:

5v5 Singles
ASB Arena
Strict 72h Disqualification. One warning per player. If pupil gets DQ'd twice, he can be kicked out by tutor. If tutor is DQ'd twice pupil may ask for replacement.
2 Recoveries / 5 Chills per Pokémon.
Three Substitutions per player excluding KO Substitutions.
Switch = OK
Abilities = ALL
Items = ON
Mega: One
Sendout = Pupil sends out first.

Pupil PMs Tutor, which gets the battle started (either looks for a ref or refs it himself, regardless of being white-listed or not). Then a battle is played. The twist is: any and every move made by pupil must be justified. And if the Tutor doesn't accept the justification or knows of an action-set that accomplishes the same more efficiently, he may demand the pupil to reorder, resend the team, send out a different pokemon or a different item, or to explain further his strategy, until the tutor is satisfied. Yes, this means that "surprise" won't be a good strategy to use here, simply because of how unreliable that is. The tutor won't need to justify whatever, so surprise remains a good option for him.

The need for justification begins from the sending of the team. The tutor will prepare a team beforehand and then will receive the team from the pupil. The tutor will then criticise the team chosen, considering the pool of pokemon of the tutor's profile and the potential gaps existing. The tutor will then make demands and recommendations. Demands are changes that must be done whereas recommendations are changes that may be done in the discretion of the pupil. Not all things said by the tutor should be simply implemented as is, unless said otherwise, as thinking and analysing every option is also part of the job here. After the tutor deems the team acceptable, they will pm it and theirs to the ref who will begin the battle. During the battle the same logic will happen: pupil sends mon/orders/equips/activates abilities, provides justification (even if minimum every move must be justified), tutor replies with demands and recommendations (even if the orders are spot on, they are advised to put on some recommendations, even as curve balls, so some thinking is done, although the role of the tutor is to direct the pupil to a better battling not to fool them, so bare it in mind and tread lightly), pupil changes stuff (or keep them as is, but always with justification), this goes until tutor is satisfied. Tutor will then post his orders or tag the ref to do the reffing. The reffing can only be done after the tutor allowed the ref to do so.

Terrible repetitive plays from the pupil may cause the tutor to call a DQ, with the approval of the Manager of the course This program is for mildly experienced players. If you don't much idea of how things work, then the best way to fix it is with practice, not this program. Same way: if you are bringing your A-Game, then why bother?

After taking this course, there is a 4-week cooldown before any other battling 202 course can be taken.

Payment: Tutor gets standard prizes for mons (and for reffing if that is the case) as well as 15UC for the tutoring.

After reading it, PM me. We will start the test with three. Because sanity is overrated. And I need tutors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)