Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

How do you upload an old battle recording? I never bothered to do so, so naturally every recording of my battles is a loss uploaded by the other guy. However, I do have some victories saved.

Gotta correct the record - I was a decent battler.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
I am currently updating a google doc every once and a while. I was wondering if there was a way to do it automatically. I was thinking maybe something with ifttt or perhaps another thing I'm unaware of. Thanks!
Unfortunately, I don't think that is an appropriate question for this thread — this thread is for PS! questions, and I can't think of another SQSA thread on the forums that offers help with regards to that, so I think the only solution is Googling it (unless someone sees this and knows the answer perchance x_x)

What is the purpose of restricting event-only pokemon (eg. the Tapus right now) from being shiny? I can understand that the Pokemon should need to conform to the way it is obtainable in the game such that the gameplay is as close a replica of the cartridge game as possible, but why prevent players from using shiny event Pokemon if it makes no changes to the gameplay?

Is it possible for previously deactivated accounts to be reactivated/unregistered? I noticed that the account with my name here on the forums was deactivated and I'd like to change my name to it on PS for consistency's sake if possible.

Hi, this might be a very silly question, but I can't seem to find the option to challenge anyone to a 2v2 doubles match on Pokemon Showdown. I've entered 2v2 tournaments without a problem, it's just that the option of challenging someone to that outside of the tournaments doesn't show.

So the question is, is it possible to play 2v2 doubles without it being a tournament? If so, how can I access that option?

Hi, this might be a very silly question, but I can't seem to find the option to challenge anyone to a 2v2 doubles match on Pokemon Showdown. I've entered 2v2 tournaments without a problem, it's just that the option of challenging someone to that outside of the tournaments doesn't show.

So the question is, is it possible to play 2v2 doubles without it being a tournament? If so, how can I access that option?
You have to click on somebody's name, and then hit challenge. It will be in the Other Metagames section.
upload_2016-12-2_11-4-24.png

Needless to say, you should probably (in the OM Room, usually, but PMs work) if they are interested first.

MichaelXD2

Banned deucer.
How does Protect work in each gen when used in succession? Also how does one get it to work so many times? The description on bulbapedia made no sense and there is no direct video on this.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How does Protect work in each gen when used in succession? Also how does one get it to work so many times? The description on bulbapedia made no sense and there is no direct video on this.
I'm not sure what was confusing on Bulbapedia, it makes perfect sense. I'm reposting it for you.

Gen 6 Mechanics: Successfully using Protect, Detect, Endure, Wide Guard, Quick Guard, Spiky Shield, or King's Shield consecutively now divides the chance of success of Protect, Detect, Endure, Spiky Shield, and King's Shield by 3 for each consecutive use, with a minimum (1/3)^6 (1/729 or ~0.1%) chance.[6]

So the first time you use it is 100%. The second time you use it is 33.3%. It keeps going until you have a ~0.1% chance of succeeding, assuming you manage to get that insanely lucky. Anyway, there you go.

MichaelXD2

Banned deucer.
I'm not sure what was confusing on Bulbapedia, it makes perfect sense. I'm reposting it for you.

Gen 6 Mechanics: Successfully using Protect, Detect, Endure, Wide Guard, Quick Guard, Spiky Shield, or King's Shield consecutively now divides the chance of success of Protect, Detect, Endure, Spiky Shield, and King's Shield by 3 for each consecutive use, with a minimum (1/3)^6 (1/729 or ~0.1%) chance.[6]

So the first time you use it is 100%. The second time you use it is 33.3%. It keeps going until you have a ~0.1% chance of succeeding, assuming you manage to get that insanely lucky. Anyway, there you go.
The mechanics for Ruby and Sapphire. Since it's expected that Protect always works on the first try. But all those other numbers going up to 77 tries doesn't make sense as it can't even be attempted.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The mechanics for Ruby and Sapphire. Since it's expected that Protect always works on the first try. But all those other numbers going up to 77 tries doesn't make sense as it can't even be attempted.
Again, it makes complete sense...
Like in Generation II, the success rates of Protect, Detect, and Endure halve each time any of the three are used successfully and consecutively. In this generation, the halving was intended to cap at a 12.5% success rate on the fourth consecutive successful use, but a bug[citation needed] causes the cap to not work, causing the game to read garbage values and causing Protect's success rate on the fifth and future turns to follow an erratic sequence.[2][3]

The following success rates are accurate to Ruby and Sapphire; from the 53rd turn onward, FireRed and LeafGreen have a different sequence of values, as does Emerald[4]. It is currently undocumented whether these numbers represent success rates out of 65535 or out of 65536.

Just quick it a quick detailed read buddy, the information is all there.

MichaelXD2

Banned deucer.
Again, it makes complete sense...
Like in Generation II, the success rates of Protect, Detect, and Endure halve each time any of the three are used successfully and consecutively. In this generation, the halving was intended to cap at a 12.5% success rate on the fourth consecutive successful use, but a bug[citation needed] causes the cap to not work, causing the game to read garbage values and causing Protect's success rate on the fifth and future turns to follow an erratic sequence.[2][3]

The following success rates are accurate to Ruby and Sapphire; from the 53rd turn onward, FireRed and LeafGreen have a different sequence of values, as does Emerald[4]. It is currently undocumented whether these numbers represent success rates out of 65535 or out of 65536.

Just quick it a quick detailed read buddy, the information is all there.
Um, that still doesn't help. You're just repasting the same exact words that were on bulbapedia. I don't understand the cap at all or the numbers. Why repost this here when I just read the same exact thing there? This is pointless. I want an answer that goes in depth. Not repeat what a site says. When I'm supposed to have multiple sources, one is supposed to explain better. This apparently doesn't. I search through all of google looking for this stuff and there's not a video on youtube. I also posted this same question on another forum, misspelling the title, and that forum isn't active.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
Um, that still doesn't help. You're just repasting the same exact words that were on bulbapedia. I don't understand the cap at all or the numbers. Why repost this here when I just read the same exact thing there? This is pointless. I want an answer that goes in depth. Not repeat what a site says. When I'm supposed to have multiple sources, one is supposed to explain better. This apparently doesn't. I search through all of google looking for this stuff and there's not a video on youtube. I also posted this same question on another forum, misspelling the title, and that forum isn't active.
In gen 3 it is supposed to cap at 12.5% on the 4th try but there's a bug in the programming of the game that causes it to become erratic after the 5th consecutive and successful use. Users managed to datamine the values up until the 77th try, regardless of whether or not there is enough PP to do it. Math doesn't require power points.

MichaelXD2

Banned deucer.
In gen 3 it is supposed to cap at 12.5% on the 4th try but there's a bug in the programming of the game that causes it to become erratic after the 5th consecutive and successful use. Users managed to datamine the values up until the 77th try, regardless of whether or not there is enough PP to do it. Math doesn't require power points.
Could you please just stop answering? I'm looking for one that explains all the usages of Protect who explains all the possible ways. You're just still insisting on giving me bulbapedia, which I can always go back there and look myself.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
Could you please just stop answering? I'm looking for one that explains all the usages of Protect who explains all the possible ways. You're just still insisting on giving me bulbapedia, which I can always go back there and look myself.
Gen 2: Each time Protect is successfully used without other moves used in between, the success rate will halve. In this generation, the success rate is implemented as a single byte over 256 which starts at the maximum of 255 and is floor-divided by 2 each time, effectively causing an extra 1/256 chance of failing on any use. This causes the success rate to drop to 0 on a ninth consecutive successful use.

Gen 3: Same as above, but intended to cap at 12.5%, programming fucked it up.

Gen 4: Protect now properly caps at a minimum success rate of 12.5% on the fourth and future consecutive turns.

Gen 5: Protect's success rate halving now no longer caps at 12.5%, so it will continue halving itself if successful.

Gen 6: Each time Protect is successfully used without other moves used in between, the success rate will be divided by 3, until the value reaches 0.1%

We don't yet know if Gen 7 mechanics have changed protect. All of this is on Bulbapedia. Again, just read carefully and you shall find what you are looking for.

Last edited:

MichaelXD2

Banned deucer.
Gen 2: Each time Protect is successfully used without other moves used in between, the success rate will halve. In this generation, the success rate is implemented as a single byte over 256 which starts at the maximum of 255 and is floor-divided by 2 each time, effectively causing an extra 1/256 chance of failing on any use. This causes the success rate to drop to 0 on a ninth consecutive successful use.

Gen 3: Same as above, but intended to cap at 12.5%, programming fucked it up.

Gen 4: Protect now properly caps at a minimum success rate of 12.5% on the fourth and future consecutive turns.

Gen 5: Protect's success rate halving now no longer caps at 12.5%, so it will continue halving itself if successful.

Gen 6: Each time Protect is successfully used without other moves used in between, the success rate will be divided by 3, until the value reaches 0.1%

We don't yet know if Gen 7 mechanics have changed protect.
I only care up all the way to gen 6. Since the last Pokemon games in my 3DS are X and Y. Also I never intended for Protect to be my strategy in just single battles, only double battles. In gen 6, I use the other types of Protect. Normally in gen 2, we don't start using Protect until after we've Toxiced or Leech Seeded.

Also I use my calculator and divide 100 by 2 each time. On the 8th division, the calculator says 0.7 something, so how does it work on the eighth try if it's floored?

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
I only care up all the way to gen 6. Since the last Pokemon games in my 3DS are X and Y. Also I never intended for Protect to be my strategy in just single battles, only double battles. In gen 6, I use the other types of Protect. Normally in gen 2, we don't start using Protect until after we've Toxiced or Leech Seeded.

Also I use my calculator and divide 100 by 2 each time. On the 8th division, the calculator says 0.7 something, so how does it work on the eighth try if it's floored?
See this is why I tell you to read carefully, cause I've posted your answer already and you haven't taken the time to comprehend it.
In this generation, the success rate is implemented as a single byte over 256 which starts at the maximum of 255 and is floor-divided by 2 each time, effectively causing an extra 1/256 chance of failing on any use. This causes the success rate to drop to 0 on a ninth consecutive successful use.

Ceteris Paribus

I am inevitable.
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is it possible for previously deactivated accounts to be reactivated/unregistered? I noticed that the account with my name here on the forums was deactivated and I'd like to change my name to it on PS for consistency's sake if possible.
Yes, it is possible. But I would suggest that you speak to a global staff member on PS! Who are signified as a Moderator (@) in the Help Room. Although you may have to wait for a certain period of time to get the account reactivated or if the account you wish to use has been regged already (in which case you would need to wait for the account to be inactive for a period of time before you can claim it ). Hope this answers your question

After Z-Moves, I've been getting some really useless Arceus sets in Random Battle/Double Randoms. Or at least it seems useless to me, because I have no idea how to utilize them. It's always Arceus with an -ium that isn't Normal-type, yet its main type aligns with the Z-Crystal while Judgement remains Normal-type so not only can it not use the Z-Move, it's also terribly weak!

For example, Arceus-Grass, Grassium Z - Protect, Recover, Substitute, Judgement (Normal).

What am I missing here? Is there a trick to this that I'm not getting?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)