Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

Hey guys, this might be a common question, so Im sorry if it was awnsered already, but here it is:

Say I want to play with fakemons just for fun, is there a way for me to create some kind of format allowing custom/fakemons and challenge someone to this format?

Thanks in advance :]

Say I want to play with fakemons just for fun, is there a way for me to create some kind of format allowing custom/fakemons and challenge someone to this format?
This sounds a bit like either the Create-A-Pokémon project or a class of other metagames known as Pet Mods. However for your own personal custom 'mons you would probably have to set up your own server and code the format yourself. (Playing it would still be tricky as your new 'mons wouldn't appear in the Team Builder.)

This sounds a bit like either the Create-A-Pokémon project or a class of other metagames known as Pet Mods. However for your own personal custom 'mons you would probably have to set up your own server and code the format yourself. (Playing it would still be tricky as your new 'mons wouldn't appear in the Team Builder.)
Yeah, I didn't mention it in my first post, but the goal was to play some Pet Mods, however, there obviously isn't a format for every Pet Mod, now, when it comes to creating a server and coding new mons on it, how could I do it? Or is there already like a Pet Mod server or something?

Once again, thanks in advance :)

Is there a way they could provide more avatars? I'd like a sprite for every single Pokemon for players to be able to choose from as a way to provide more variety while still making sure nobody uses inappropriate pics. Seriously, I have never seen a website that has been so limiting on avatars.

I haven't played on the ladder, and before it was named Showdown since...

When Swampert was the best lead in the game.

Where do I install the program? And is it still very popular?

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I haven't played on the ladder, and before it was named Showdown since...

When Swampert was the best lead in the game.

Where do I install the program? And is it still very popular?
It doesn't need to be installed. Pokemon Showdown can be played on most web browsers, but if you'd rather download the client you can still do that. You can find both the web and downloadable versions here: http://pokemonshowdown.com/

Hey guys!
I've been playing Pokémon for an incredibly long time and thought about building my first rain team. I've got drizzle Politoed, swift swim Kabutops and Ludicolo, and I'm not sure if I should do mega Scizor, or just regular Scizor and use the mega on someone else. Can you help me fill in the team slots? Thanks!

Ceteris Paribus

I am inevitable.
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys!
I've been playing Pokémon for an incredibly long time and thought about building my first rain team. I've got drizzle Politoed, swift swim Kabutops and Ludicolo, and I'm not sure if I should do mega Scizor, or just regular Scizor and use the mega on someone else. Can you help me fill in the team slots? Thanks!
I would suggest you try joining a room on PS! Like competitive tutoring or rate my team, they could help you out

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
If this isn't quite the right place to post this - but do you think we could make a ladder where we can try the unreleased mega evolutions? After I heard about the soon to be released Beedrillite and Mawilite.

If this is the wrong place - tell me where to ask. Thanks!

If this isn't quite the right place to post this - but do you think we could make a ladder where we can try the unreleased mega evolutions? After I heard about the soon to be released Beedrillite and Mawilite.

If this is the wrong place - tell me where to ask. Thanks!
Building on this... As soon as Smogon knew that Pokebank would be released, they implemented transferable Pokémon on Showdown... Now that we know old mega stones are coming back, should we implement them now with the same logic?

Acast

Building on this... As soon as Smogon knew that Pokebank would be released, they implemented transferable Pokémon on Showdown... Now that we know old mega stones are coming back, should we implement them now with the same logic?
No, because Smogon metagames are based on the cartridges and what is available in them. They didn't add pokebank mons to the primary metagames. They created separate ladders that included bank mons so those metagames could start developing asap. Pokebank was handled that way because we knew roughly when it would be released and we knew it would impact all of smogon's metagames to an extreme degree. Other than Mawilite and Beedrillite, we have no idea when the other mega stones will be released or even which ones. There are too many uncertainties involved, so adding the other mega stones to the primary metagames would be impractical. Adding a separate ladder with the other mega stones would be more reasonable, but it wouldn't be nearly as necessary as the Pokebank OU ladder was, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Adding a separate ladder with the other mega stones would be more reasonable, but it wouldn't be nearly as necessary as the Pokebank OU ladder was, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.
That's exactly what i'm saying. Thus who cares if it's 'relevant' or 'necessary'? They're coming sooner or later, count on it.

As for the Pokebank example - It was there so Lando-I and Genesect could be put on the chopping block, like you said (IMO the former was kinda kneejerk, but I digress). We have Mega Mawile (Ex-Uber), and the Mega buff to turn 1 speed in tandem with the likes of Mega Loppuny, Mega Beedrill, Mega Manetric and more. It's better to consider it sooner or later.

Also I recall there being a 'No Megas' ladder somewhere in... XY, was it? (or ORAS, I can't remember...), I don't remember that being 'necessary' tbh, otherwise it would have carried over to 7th gen ladder.

Acast

That's exactly what i'm saying. Thus who cares if it's 'relevant' or 'necessary'? They're coming sooner or later, count on it.

As for the Pokebank example - It was there so Lando-I and Genesect could be put on the chopping block, like you said (IMO the former was kinda kneejerk, but I digress). We have Mega Mawile (Ex-Uber), and the Mega buff to turn 1 speed in tandem with the likes of Mega Loppuny, Mega Beedrill, Mega Manetric and more. It's better to consider it sooner or later.

Also I recall there being a 'No Megas' ladder somewhere in... XY, was it? (or ORAS, I can't remember...), I don't remember that being 'necessary' tbh, otherwise it would have carried over to 7th gen ladder.
I'm not saying it won't happen. I'm just saying it's not as critical to the future of smogon's metagames as pokebank is. The issue is that we don't know when the other mega stones will be released. It could be another two years before we see Lopunnite again (I'm sure it'll be sooner, but it's still possible it could take that long). A ladder with the remaining unavailable mega stones wouldn't be used to prepare for the future metagame. It would just be a "for fun" thing, just like the No Megas ladder in XY was.

If I'm wrong, I hope someone that actually has some power in this area tells me so, but I don't think an "All Megas" SM OU ladder would be used for practical purposes like the Pokebank OU ladder was. That's why I'm saying it might not get implemented. I'm not against it. I just don't think it'll happen.

DW OU was a thing in gen 5, when we had unreleased abilities. Since in gen 7 we have some unreleased items, I honestly don't see a reason not to add a meta with the unreleased Mega Stones, it should obviously be a separate ladder from regular OU as well. Also, after we had No Megas OU, no Stealth Rocks OU and no Scald UU back on gen 6, I really feel like we should add something like All Megas OU in gen 7

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
DW OU was a thing in gen 5, when we had unreleased abilities. Since in gen 7 we have some unreleased items, I honestly don't see a reason not to add a meta with the unreleased Mega Stones, it should obviously be a separate ladder from regular OU as well. Also, after we had No Megas OU, no Stealth Rocks OU and no Scald UU back on gen 6, I really feel like we should add something like All Megas OU in gen 7
Exactly. And we had the ORAS megas stat structures datamined up to... what was it, a month from ORAS's would be release? There was a full ladder dedicated to that.

C'mon Acast - anything to break up the tedium of going to the OU room and hoping to ask someone for a custom game when you want to experiment with something unreleased. That get's annoying, I tell you what...

EDIT: No Scald UU? Lol since when was THAT a thing?

Last edited:

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
No Scald UU? Lol since when was THAT a thing?
I'm pretty sure that was an April Fool's Day ladder a year or two ago.

Anyways I'm all for an "All Megas" ladder because it gives us an idea of what the Mega Pokemon have become with the generational change, such as all the speed and ability buffs. Obviously we don't know when they would release or if they ever would but hey, the same happened for Dream World OU back in gen 5, we never got our ST Chandy but we would call for a suspect if it did.

Hi i have a question regarding extreme speed dragononite

Ive been playing with it in vgc 2017 format but suddenly my team is rejected because extreme speed is only obtainable in previous generation

This wasnt the case few days ago and battle spot allow extreme speed dragonite as it can be breed in sun moon

Any idea why all of the sudden i cant use it in showdwon vgc17 anymore ? Thanks in advance

Hi, sry if I'm asking a dumb question, but is there a way to calculate a player's highest Elo at one point?

Like for example I'm currently 1400-ish in Doubles OU but I remember being 1700-ish at one point, and I want to know exactly what was the highest Elo I ever got.

Is there any way to 'view' the entire ladder for unofficial ladders? For example gen7randombattle is currently an unofficial ladder. I can see my rating (profile and after each battle) but it'd be cool to know where I fit in the ladder, or at least what the current top rating is to put me into context!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)