Assessing the competitive viability of Pokemon from Pokemon Insurgence... if they were official.

Status
Not open for further replies.
(NOTE: I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forums to post this in. Please tell me if there is a better section to post it).

For those who don't know, Pokemon Insurgence is a fangame with more than 200 custom forms for Pokemon from Gen 1 to Gen 6. (BTW: It's an awesome game and you should play it!)

In this thread, I wanted to discuss how viable some of these forms would be if they became official for VGC and Showdown competitive.

I'll start off with the two most OP new forms in Insurgence: the (extremely broken) Primal forms of Arceus and Giratina.

Like Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre, they must hold an item (the Crystal Piece) in order to become Primal. They do NOT count as Mega Evolutions.

Primal Arceus

https://wiki.p-insurgence.com/Arceus_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

r/stunfisk - Primal Arceus and Primal Giratina (from the Pokemon Insurgence fangame) become OFFICIAL. How decent would they be competitively?
TYPE: Normal/Dragon

Ability: Ancient Presence

BASE STATS:

HP: 120

ATTACK: 150

DEFENSE: 130

SP. ATTACK: 150

SP. DEFENSE: 130

SPEED: 140

TOTAL: 820

So yeah... its base stat total is 40 points higher than Mega Rayquaza. Except for HP, all of its stats are higher than regular Arceus.

Funnily enough, Primal Arceus has some similarities to Legend Plate Arceus in the most recent official game. It has an Ability called "Ancient Presence", which gives it automatic STAB bonus on ALL of its damaging attacks.

Ancient Presence also makes every attack used by Arceus-P deal 1x damage to its opponent. This means that nothing can resist or be immune to it. However, there is actually a downside to this, as it means Arceus-P can never deal super effective damage, unless its ability is changed.

As broken as this Pokemon would be, I'm honestly not sure if it would be as broken as Zacian-Crowned. Its Attack is significantly lower than Zacian-C, it is slightly slower, and it can't deal supereffective damage. It also has worse defensive typing than Zacian-C, having 4 weaknesses.

Still, if this was legal, Arceus-P would almost certainly be banned to Anything Goes.

Primal Giratina

https://wiki.p-insurgence.com/Giratina_(Pokémon)

r/stunfisk - Primal Arceus and Primal Giratina (from the Pokemon Insurgence fangame) become OFFICIAL. How decent would they be competitively?
TYPE: Ghost/Dragon

Ability: Omnitype

BASE STATS:

HP: 150

ATTACK: 135

DEFENSE: 135

SP. ATTACK: 135

SP. DEFENSE: 135

SPEED: 130

TOTAL: 820

As you can see, Primal Giratina has the same BST as Primal Arceus, but is a bit more defensive and has worse offenses. It is also slightly slower. In terms of pure stats, it looks weaker than Arceus-P.

But then you look at its ability... Omnitype. Its Ghost/Dragon typing only really affects its STAB, because Omnitype gives Giratina-P all 18 types at once when it takes damage.

In practice, this mean Giratina-P has the following defensive matchups:

- 2x weak to Rock (its only real weakness)

- 1x from Flying, Water, Fire, Ice and Fairy

- 1/2 resistant to Dark and Steel

- 1/16 resistant to Grass and Bug (yes, really)

- IMMUNE to 8 types: Normal, Ghost, Fighting, Electric, Poison, Ground, Psychic, Dragon

So as you can see, this Pokemon is arguably even MORE broken than Arceus-P. It has far more immunities than any Pokemon, except Shedinja (lol).

It is worth noting that Arceus-P's ability negates the effects of Omnitype, so it does have the advantage in a 1-on-1 battle.

What do you guys think? If these were legal, how widespread would their usage be? Would they be essential on all Anything Goes teams? And how would they compare to the most broken Pokemon in history (Gen 1 Mewtwo, Gen 4 Arceus, Mega Ray, Zacian-C, Eternamax Eternatus even)?

(I plan on analysing more custom Insurgence forms in the future, like the other new Megas/Primals, and the many Delta Pokemon that give very different typings, movesets and abilities to Pokemon.)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Sorry, but OI is not the place for this.

First off, this is the only section of the forums NOT associated with competitive battling.

Secondly, we have a rule only to discuss officially released aspects of the franchise.

I'm not sure where this would go, but I suspect Smogon doesn't really have a place for it. Maybe in the Discord channels, where there's much more leeway with stuff like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)