Balanced UU Team Peaked #148

How much SWAG does Blastoise have?

• Total voters
Hello All,
My name is Ponyta and I liek mudkipz. Anyways ever since B+W UU came out I've been trying out a bunch of different team styles and pokemon. After finally gathering enough information to make a competent team I did just that. This team shot up the ladder until about #300. It peaked at #153 and has been hovering at around #250. I've been using this team and I can feel that it's on the verge of being amazing but I just can't figure out what to do. The main premise of the team is to weaken and trap the important members of the opposing team. Once they are sufficiently weakened I can proceed to clean up with either Staraptor or Cobalion. So without further ado, I'd like you all to meet team, StarTrio.

At a Glance:

Team Building Process:

I was looking at the UU cutoff and noticed that all of the stuff that's considered "broken" is pretty much trapped and destroyed by Dugtrio so naturally I picked him as my first Pokemon.

After picking Dugtrio I was discussing with my friends some of the biggest threats in the UU metagame and Reckless Staraptor came into discussion. He has decent Synergy with Dugtrio who absorbs electric attacks for Staraptor while Staraptor eats weak grass attacks. He was a great fit.

I needed someone to set up rocks at this point. Registeel resists the ice weakness of both Staraptor and Dugtrio and draws ground attacks for Staraptor to switch in on. Additionally he is able to spread paralysis which is fun, and to set up rain to help stop sun teams after I kill Vulpix.

I noticed I was Scarf Victini weak at this point so I needed a beast of a 'mon to eat V-Creates for breakfast. Blastoise fit the bill perfectly. And Awesomely if it's a life orb Victini i can switch into Duggy on the Fusion Bolt and kill that mofo because of the drop in defense.

At this point I didn't know what to put here and I heard somewhere that Zapdos was one of the best pokemon in UU. I tried him out and YES HE IS! Zapdos is a beast he can take a bunch of hits and is a great fit for this team.

I needed an endgame condition and decided that SD Scyther could probably work. He did work but the thing is having 3 pokes weak to Stealth Rocks really hurt this team. Blastoise can only spin away rocks so many times before he bites the dust. But when I did set up with Scyther omg.....He demolishes. I recommend him to your teams but he just didn't fit in here.

My next endgame I tried out was Taunt+SD Cobalion and he's worked okay. He resists rock 4x so thats always a plus and he provides another dragon resist against Flygon. This combo really helps against stall which is kind of common when you get higher in rank so it's proved it's worth but he barely sees any action.

In Depth:

Registeel@Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Calm (+Sp.Def, -Attk)
Ev's: 252HP 252Sp.Def 4Def
Moves:
~Stealth Rock
~Thunder Wave
~Seismic Toss
~Rain Dance

General:
My Special Wall and my first switch in to things like Zapdos and Kyurem. He just eats special hits all day erry day and sets up rocks or T-Waves right in the face of my opponent.

Ev's: Standard Ev's for a special wall. With these Ev's iirc he doesn't even get 2HKO'd by Scarf Kyurem's Focus blast which is something not many steel types can say.

Moveset:
~Stealth Rocks are very important for this team as it helps Dugtrio secure some VERY NECESSARY OHKO's. Two of these are on Victini and on Kyurem. Dugtrio's EQ does about 80%-90% on Victini so rocks secure an OHKO. And the same goes for Kyurem and Dugtrio's Stone Edge.
~Thunder Wave is more of a luxury than a necessary move. It helps me do things like slow down Scarf Kyurem so Dugtrio can revenge and cripple Victini and Heracross. Nevertheless, it's still pretty useful.
~Seismic Toss is for passive damage and so I'm not complete Taunt-Bait (except against Mismagius....)
~Rain Dance is an interesting move on my Registeel. My team is fairly Sun Weak (tbh what team isn't....) so after I've killed Vulpix if Registeel gets a free turn he can cripple the entire team with one move.

Synergy:
Fire>Blastoise
Ground>Staraptor+Zapdos
Fighting>Zapdos

Problems: None to speak of a great fit for the team.

Staraptor@Choice Scarf
Nature: Adamant (+Attk, -Sp.Attk)
Ability: Reckless
Ev's: 252Spe 252Attk 4Def
Moves:
~Brave Bird
~Double Edge
~Close Combat
~U-Turn

General: One of my revenge killers. He is VERY good at what he does which explains why so many people are trying to get him as a suspect. Reckless boosted Brave Bird and Double-Edge just pwns.

Ev's and Nature: Standard Ev's for a sweeper/revenge killer with the rest thrown into Def so I can switch into SR 4 Times and live with 1hp. I use adamant over jolly just for the fact that Brave Bird 2HKO's Eviolite Chansey. It also helps score some OHKO's on frailer 'mons.

Moves:
~Brave Bird wrecks...as if it's not powerful enough with STAB and 120 BP but it also gets boosted by reckless so it just becomes godly powerful. It's also usually the first move I use just because not much likes to switch in on it.
~Double-Edge (See Brave Bird.)
~Close Combat is the move that makes this bird so god damn good. Normally pokes such as Registeel would be able to wall Staraptor to hell and back. But this mofo gets Close Combat to rain on their parade. EASILY the most important move on the set.
~U-Turn is for scouting. The only problem is I have to decide between getting switch advantage and taking no recoil or smacking the switch-in with a Super-Powerful Brave Bird or Double-Edge.

Synergy:
Electric>Dugtrio
Ice>Blastoise+Registeel
Rock>Registeel+Dugtrio

Problems: He gets worn down really quickly between rocks, recoil, and sandstorm/hail damage. Other than that, none to speak of.

Dugtrio@Choice Band
Nature: Jolly (+Spe -Sp. Attk)
Ev's: 252Spe 252Attk 4Def
Moveset:
~Earthquake
~Stone Edge
~Sucker Punch
~Aerial Ace

General: My second revenge killer and a great trapper. He is usually the first thing I go to after a poke has been killed and the opposing guy is weakened to the point where Duggy can trap and kill them.

Ev's and Nature: Standard Sweeper/Revenge Killer again.

Moves:
~Earthquake is a very powerful STAB for Dugtrio and his go-to move. This is the move I use on hmm....let's see almost everything. This move OHKO's Eviolite Vulpix, Almost OHKO's Victini, and does good chunks to everything else.
~Stone Edge is what I use to kill Kyurem. After Rocks Duggy here can KO Offensive Kyurem which is VERY helpful to the team as once Dugtrio and Staraptor are gone he runs rampant over the team.
~Sucker Punch is for priority against sun teams if Registeel hasn't been able to set up rain to cancel out there sun. Usually this doesn't even do very much but it's good as a last-ditched effort to stop a Sawsbuck, Victreebell, Shiftry, Lilligant, etc...from sweeping my team.
~Aerial Ace is almost exclusively to kill Heracross. Dugtrio can revenge all versions of Heracross EXCEPT for scarf. Which is why I have to do some careful scouting before I try to go in for the kill.

Synergy:
Grass>Staraptor+Registeel+Zapdos+Cobalion
Water>Blastoise
Ice>Blastoise+Registeel+Cobalion

Problems: Dugtrio is just weak. 100 base attack is not going to win any awards in the offensive department and with such pitiful defenses it has it's revenge by almost any priority. The only other problem I have is getting trolled by Scarf Hera :P

Blastoise@Leftovers
Nature: Bold (+Def -Attk)
Ev's: 252HP 252Def 4Sp. Attk
Moves:
~Surf
~Rapid Spin
~Counter
~Roar

General: My main physical wall and Victini check. He eats V-Creates for breakfast and doesn't even take that much from Fusion Bolt. If Victini is Choiced then I just spin or whatever I need to do. But if its Life Orbed then I switch to Duggy on the Fusion Bolt and KO with EQ.

Ev's and Nature: Max Max to take hits better and these Ev's let me eat V-Creates all day erry day. Bold because I don't think Rapid Spin will be getting me that many KO's.

Moves:
~Surf for Obligatory STAB. I also don't wan't the burn from Scald on things like Cresselia because then I won't be able to toxic them with my Zapdos.
~Rapid Spin is because I have to Pokemon weak to Stealth Rocks so I need to get rid of those ASAP especially considering Staraptor takes so much recoil damage and switches so often.
~Counter is an interesting choice. When things like Banded Victini expect my switch and U-Turn I can smack their incoming water resist with a face full of a lot of damage. It's also my last ditched effort to kill things like +4 Bisharp and other things that roar would let come back in and set up later.
~Roar is just for shuffling and helping to get rid of Sigilyph. Also it just stops stat-uppers in their tracks which is also nice.

Synergy:
Grass>Staraptor+Registeel+Zapdos+Cobalion
Electric>Dugtrio

Problems: NONE. Blastoise is a man....in Bad Ass Turtle Form. He tanks hits like it's his job...which it is. But Still! He's damn good at it and that's why he's a baller in my book.

Zapdos@Leftovers
Nature: Calm (+Sp.Def -Attk)
Ev's: 200HP 252Def 52Sp. Def
Moves:
~Discharge
~Hidden Power [ice]
~Roost
~Toxic

General: Zapdos is my Secondary Physical wall and a damn good one at that. I was playing earlier today and he took a +6 E-Speed from Linoone with like 16HP left.

Ev's and Nature: Ev's and nature are to be a good "mixed" wall. He is able to tank physical hits like only one other *Cough* Blastoise *Cough*. The HP Ev's allow him to switch into SR 4 times and the defense Ev's allow him to tank hits. The leftover Ev's were dumped into Sp. Defense to help take neutral special hits better.

Moves:
~Discharge is great for spreading paralysis throughout the opposing team. It also provides good STAB and lets him take down frail pokes.
~HP [ice] allows Zapdos to have pseudo-bolt beam coverage which is nice.
~Roost is for instant recovery and for stalling out pokes with toxic. Roost also helps with negating SR damage which is always a plus.
~Toxic is mostly for major walls like Cress and that stupid pink blob known as Chansey. Now I know you're all saying "Chansey has natural cure dummy". This is true but it forces Chansey to switch which is great because Staraptor absolutely hates switching into T-Wave. It also lets Zapdos beat last man Chansey because Aromatherapy/Heal Bell only has so much PP.

Synergy:
Ice>Blastoise+Registeel+Cobalion
Rock>Registeel+Cobalion

Problems: Absolutely none. Zapdos is such a G that he just is.

Cobalion@Life Orb
Nature: Jolly (+Spe -Sp.Attk)
Ev's: 252Spe 252Attk
Moves:
~Taunt
~Swords Dance
~Close Combat
~Iron Head

General: My "EndGame condition. Also a good answer to stall. Meh whatever I don't think he's that good so possible suggestions appreciated.

Ev's and Nature: Sweeper Ev's and Jolly to speed tie with other Cobalion and such. Could probably change them to only outrun certain threats because base 108 is really only Cobalion and Galvantula in UU so.....

Moves:
~Taunt is really useful against stall teams to stop them in their tracks so I can boost up in their face.
~Swords Dance is for doing stuff and boosting my attack. Again mainly for sweeping/breaking through stall.
~Close Combat is for the obligatory OH MY JEEZUS strong STAB. It is very very strong which is good.
~Iron Head is to complete Dual-Stab and to use it on some pokes when I see fit or I don't want to lower my defenses.

Synergy:
Ground>Zapdos+Staraptor
Fire>Blastoise
Fighting>Zapdos

Problems: I just don't use him and the majority of times he doesn't even come into battle except to die. Replacements very welcome.

Threats:
Stall Teams are manageable but are still really annoying to face especially without any way to heal Cobalion
Sun is very hard to face for this team. Usually I just lead with Dugtrio to hopefully trap the opposing Vulpix and try to get Registeel a free turn to Rain Dance. If I can get Registeel a free turn it's usually GG for the opponent because the majority of their guys are usually severely crippled.
Hail is a team type I haven't really faced but when I did I had trouble facing it help here is appreciated.
Scarfed Heracross: BIG threat because Dugtrio can't revenge and Staraptor gets worn down fast so he can continue to hit me....alot if they're gone.

Conclusion: This team has been my most successful team that I have made in Black and White UU and I can feel that it's on the verge of greatness if I can just find a good 6th man. Thank you so much for reading this lengthy Rate My Team. So now HAVE AT ME!!! Any comment, rate, suggestion, constructive criticism, etc. is appreciated so without further ado. one last look at team StarTrio. (The name is a clever pun between the trio of Stars, Duggy Staraptor and Blastoise, while incorporating the two names of Staraptor and Dugtrio.) So NOW a final look.

seems like rain dance on registeel is a wasted space. if you want a weather destroyer try something such as a golduck with the cloud nine ability, which destroys all weathers i wouldn't know what the moveset should be but you can try it out.

seems like rain dance on registeel is a wasted space. if you want a weather destroyer try something such as a golduck with the cloud nine ability, which destroys all weathers i wouldn't know what the moveset should be but you can try it out.
I know what you mean by saying that but Registeel is such an integral part of this team that if I removed him then I would get screwed over in 99% of my battles. Unless you meant trying Golduck over Cobalion and in that case I'll definitely try it out. Thanks for the rate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)