Singles Victim of the Week [Current Victim: Landorus-T] ~ VOTING ~

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Artic's Mega Absol for me. Magic Bounce + Sucker Punch is a cool combo, not to mention it totally wrecks Cres

I also took the liberty of editing your post with links :)

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
NOVED's Crawdaunt because I had no idea it was that ridiculously powerful and it's probably the only thing in the game that can OHKO cress like that

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry about not giving more time to vote, this week was very busy for me.

This week had a tie! Congrats to Artic and NOVED for winning this week! (you'll be logged shortly)

This week's subject is Mega-Gengar!

You have till Tuesday to post.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To be honest I'm a little surprised a didn't win this based on the sheer number of likes my nomination got (6 likes compared to 9 total votes), I blame only having it up for a day :P

Mega Gengar is ridiculous to prepare for. If you let it mega evolve then you can't check or counter it unless you're a ghost type or have Volt Switch / U-turn and can switch out, otherwise you will lose something to Perish Song, Gengar switches out and you have to get it back in to kill it...

I almost nominated Exploud but realised you can't have Soundproof and use Scrappy Boomburst at the same time, lol. Time for something boring...

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
Quiet Nature
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
IVs: 0 Spe
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Pursuit

Can switch in and out of Shadow Tag freely (not that it's needed), tank Shadow Ball, activates Weakness Policy and wrecks stuff. Hidden Power Ice is chosen as the fourth move instead of something like Flash Cannon because Garchomp is Mega Gengar's no.1 teammate according to the PGL (being no.1 overall probably helps) so you can bop it with it on the switch. Pursuit is used if you anticipate the switch, which can actually OHKO frail Gengar's with some attack investment (recommended amount is 60 EVs)

Calcs:
  • 252+ SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 108-128 (64.6 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
The only move that Gengar has to hit you with.
  • 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 212-252 (155.8 - 185.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 4 Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 98-116 (72 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
You wreck him. The Shadow Sneak calc is cool because you can almost guarantee that he won't get a Sub in, and if he does (and you break it with Shadow Ball) then you can pick him off before he tries getting another.

and against bulky Gar:
  • 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 212-252 (126.9 - 150.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 4 Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 98-116 (58.6 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
So yeah you completely monster him.

Bonus Pursuit calc:
  • 4 Atk Aegislash-Blade Pursuit (80BP )vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 66-78 (48.5 - 57.3%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO
  • 60 Atk Aegislash-Blade Pursuit (80BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 136-160 (100 - 117.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
one last for lols:
  • 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Pursuit (80BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 168-198 (100.5 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
So if you do opt for Pursuit as your fourth move, this is what it can do!

So now that Aegi's taken, what is everyone else going to vote for? /grabs popcorn

This was coming eventually, but here its comes:

Hydreigon@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
Shiny: Dosen't matter
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower/Earth Power/Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon/Dragon Pulse/Focus Blast/Any of the moves above

Your god Hydreigon is finally here pokes written by the Hydreigon user himself. Anyway enough of that, Scarfed Hydreigon is an amazing revenge killer to Gengar. It can also come in on predicted Shadow Balls and WOWs since it either resists/dosen't care about them, just be careful of Focus Miss and Dazzling Gleam. Anyway:
252+ SpA Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gengar: 152-182 (111.7 - 133.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gengar: 152-182 (91 - 108.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO (Still good enough)
252 SpA Mega Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 109-129 (64.8 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 102-121 (60.7 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 46-54 (27.3 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
0 SpA Mega Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 93-111 (55.3 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Mega Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 88-105 (52.3 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Mega Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 39-46 (23.2 - 27.3%) -- 62.7% chance to 4HKO
0 SpA Mega Gengar Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 78-94 (46.4 - 55.9%) -- 76.2% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Gengar Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 92-110 (54.7 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So you cant always OHKO the 252 HP Verison but you can outspeed and KO it back, and combined with the Flinch likelyhood and +56% chance to KO, Hydreigon is good revenge killer to Gengar but not 100% perfect. Still good tho since its one of the best.

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard -> Trace
Modest Nature
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Psyshock
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast / Energy Ball / Shadow Ball

This forgotten gem is a great way of checking Mega Gengar, as well as a lot of other common metagame threats including Mega Salamence, Garchomp, Blaziken and Rain archetypes thanks to it's blistering speed, reliable damage and Trace. Many people expect Sash Alakazam if they know anything about it at all, so they will commonly keep Gengar in to get damage off - instead of attacking, however, you should Mega Evolve, Protect, and then after mega evolution you outspeed Mega Gengar with your 150 base speed (even with a Modest nature) and obliterate it with Psyshock. Hidden Power [Ice] is the only Hidden Power you should ever consider for a fast and strong special attacker in the Battle Spot due to how easily it deals with non-Scarfed variants of Garchomp and Landorus-T, Mega Salamence, Gliscor, Dragonite and to a lesser extent Zapdos and Thundurus - however, if you already have a strong Ice move on the team you could swap it out for a more useful coverage move. The three other coverage moves listed give Alakazam the ability to check other threats: the main two to consider are Focus Blast and Energy Ball. Energy Ball is capable of OHKOing Rotom-W most of the time and hits other Water-types quite hard as well, but has no other utility; Focus Blast hits all of the problematic Steel-types in the meta (besides Aegislash). Speaking of, Shadow Ball is listed purely as a way of making you not completely useless against Aegislash but it's not recommended as it doesn't do a great amount of damage, and you're never going to want to stay in on an Aegislash with this set anyway. Taunt could be used here if Minimize spam, Moody and SwagPlay are an issue but it's a very team-specific move.

Noivern @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane / Air Slash
- Flamethrower / Focus Blast
- Switcheroo

Here is my check to Mega Gengar. It deals with offensive sets very well, but not so much of bulky sets. Specs Draco Meteor OHKOs offensive Mega Gengar, and when I realize that it's not faster than Mega Gengar, it has the bulk to take most moves that offensive Mega Gengar run, including Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb, and even Dazzling Gleam, even though that's uncommon. Noivern also has the ability to take out Mega Gengars that hide behind substitute to stall with Perish Song with Infiltrator. Noivern also has a use in this metagame to check pokemon that often hide behind subs often (Mega Mawile is an example) and dragons that it outspeeds, like Mega Salamence and non-Scarfed Garchomp.

Calcs:

252 SpA Choice Specs Noivern Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gengar: 142-168 (104.4 - 123.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Noivern Hurricane vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gengar: 120-142 (88.2 - 104.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Mega Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Noivern: 100-118 (62.5 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Gengar Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Noivern: 134-158 (83.7 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Noivern: 112-133 (70 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

However, it loses against most bulky sets:

252 SpA Choice Specs Noivern Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gengar: 142-168 (85 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

but after Stealth Rock damage should you chose to run it, the chances of OHKOing are much higher:

252 SpA Choice Specs Noivern Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gengar: 142-168 (85 - 100.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

There aren't many things that check Perish Song Mega Gengar, but Noivern is one of the few pokes who can manage well against it. Not the best poke, but it does have its niches.

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 236 HP / 92 Atk / 180 SpD
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

I think the only way to really "check" Mega Gengar is with pursuit. Otherwise, it can just switch out and trap one of your other pokemon later. This spread survives a focus blast from mega gar even though it's kind of uncommon on mega but better safe than sorry. Lum Berry is in case it tries to wisp you. Crunch is on the set as well if Gengar happens to be their last mon or if you think they might try to stay in to will-o/focus blast, plus crunch is also good for more mons in the meta besides gengar.

92 Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gengar: 150-176 (111.1 - 130.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
^ This is with the boost pursuit gets when Gengar switches out. Crunch does the same damage.

92 Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Gengar: 150-176 (89.8 - 105.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
If they are bulky they have a chance to live but will be in range of rocks/sand damage :)

252 SpA Mega Gengar Focus Blast vs. 236 HP / 180+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 172-204 (83.9 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Kind of a rare move but i'll show it anyway. All other moves are like an 8hko lol

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
ethan06. Alakazam can't really switch in on Gengar (providing what you're switching out isn't trapped) since Shadow Ball will OHKO it, but in terms of revenge killing it is probably the best.

However, I would use it with the gimmicky Protect, Disable, Encore combo since you would gain Shadow Tag with Trace and force something to Struggle and they wouldn't be able to switch out!

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
NOVED because I'm always biased towards any Tyranitar set, especially ones that utilize Pursuit.

Can i vote? I would go for NOVED cause i hate when gengar just switches out again to wreak havoc later and pursuit ttar deals with that.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can i vote?
Even if you don't post a set you can always vote in both of my projects.

Not as many votes this week, it was a close one between NOVED and ethan06, but ethan06 is the winner!

This weeks victim is:

Blame Hulavuta if this thing is to easy to counter Looking for more offensive checks and ways to deal with this, yes with a toxic stalling defensive team its quite easy to get past Porygon2's recovery, but how do you beat this with an offensive team?

Terrakion @ Fist Plate
Ability: Justified
EVs: 200 HP / 52 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Taunt
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Sub SD Terrak :]

4 SpA Porygon2 Tri Attack vs. 200 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 25-30 (13 - 15.7%) -- possible 7HKO
4 SpA Porygon2 Thunderbolt vs. 200 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 39-46 (20.4 - 24%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
4 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 200 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 39-46 (20.4 - 24%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
0- Atk Porygon2 Foul Play vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 25-30 (13 - 15.7%) -- possible 7HKO
+2 0- Atk Porygon2 Foul Play vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 51-60 (26.7 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

52 Atk Fist Plate Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 110-132 (57.2 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 52 Atk Fist Plate Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 218-258 (113.5 - 134.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

52 Atk Fist Plate Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 212-252 (100 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Basically destroys p2. It can sub up to avoid any twave or toxic, and can proceed to SD and ohko it. This set has enough bulk to take on all of p2's common attacks. If it wants to foul play as you swords dance then it'll just be giving you more boosts while doing shit damage. Also has 4 SpDef to ensure they don't get SpA boosts if they have download. 52 Atk isn't actually for p2, it's enough attack to ohko 252 HP kan without an SD boost. I used Fist plate over life orb so I don't start stacking up damage with sub. And i chose it over lefties because I still wanted more power.

If you wanted to go full on p2 counter you could run taunt over Rock stab so they don't get trick room up(terrak still beats p2 if they get up tr though), cant recover, or do any shenanigans. But then you give up valuable coverage for the rest of the meta.

Last edited:
Yay i found something that can always OHKO P2:

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Shiny: Dosent matter
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Psycho Cut/Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out/Bullet Punch

So after messing around with they calc a bit, i learned Mega Medicham is one of the very few pokeomon that can OHKO P2 no matter what:
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 192-228 (100 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So have fun with that. On a side note tho, you could use Gallade who can Knock Off + CC but while effective cant outright OHKO it.

Let me try this. Porygon2 is with cresselia, so I don't feel like fighting will be a great one.
I have no idea how to post image so.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 68 SpA / 180 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Sludge Bomb poison + leech seed will kill it easily. Thanks to fat body, ice beam does nothing. It also doesn't get toxic.

But one problem is download porygon2 and try attack will do a lot against it. So I don't think venusaur is perfect counter.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
haban012: Go to this site for animated Pokémon images. Fire me a PM if you don't know how to put them in a post and I'll show you ^_^

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch / Poison Jab

I'm surprised that no-one has snapped this one up yet. AV Conkeldurr is one of the best Porygon2 checks as it can comfortably tank all of Porygon's special moves and Foul Play, actually benefits from status thanks to Guts, and can Knock Off Porygon's Eviolite, allowing Conk to overwhelm it with STAB Drain Punches. There's not really much else to say about Conkeldurr; it's a very solid Pokémon in the meta, being able to soak up strong hits from many different sources and retaliate hard. Drain Punch keeps it healthy, Mach Punch is a STAB priority move and that's always great, Knock Off removes items and hits Ghost-types, and Ice Punch or Poison Jab can be chosen depending on whether you hate Dragons or Fairies more. :]

0 SpA Porygon2 Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 45-54 (21.2 - 25.4%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Porygon2: 116-138 (60.4 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Nasty Plot
- Vacuum Wave / Dark Pulse / Substitute
- Flash Cannon

Say hello to one of the best anti-P2 pokemon, Mega Lucario. I don't really need to explain on how much P2 gets wrecked by this poke, do I? Well, I'll explain anyways. Lucario resists anything P2 throws at it, excluding Discharge and Shadow Ball, but I don't see too much usage of that move anymore as most people run Foul Play now. It also has an immunity to toxic, so it can't be recover stalled at all. Mega Lucario can also 2HKO Porygon2 in return with Aura Sphere, or it can set up a Nasty Plot and OHKO the next turn. Mega Luc is also pretty viable in Battle Spot, taking care of threats like Mega Kangaskhan, Cresselia if running Dark Pulse + Nasty Plot, Ferrothorn, and more. Vaccum Wave is nice priority as well, but a tad weak. I find Substitute Mega Lucario to be somewhat underrated, as it allows it to avoid Paralysis from the likes of P2, Cresselia and Ferrothorn, and set up a Nasty Plot as well. Sub+3 Attacks is a functional set as well, but you miss out on some boosted power, while Sub + Nasty Plot misses out on coverage. Physical Mega Luc is great as well, I just didn't want to post two sets, and I prefer special sets myself. Physical Mega Lucario should definitely be running Justified, as it gets a free boost if Porygon2 decides to use Foul Play on it. Now, the calcs.

252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 100-120 (52 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 136-160 (70.8 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 196-232 (102 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Porygon2 Discharge vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Lucario: 42-50 (28.9 - 34.4%) -- 5.6% chance to 3HKO
+1 0 SpA Porygon2 Discharge vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Lucario: 62-74 (42.7 - 51%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO (This is somehting to watch out for btw)
0 SpA Adaptability Porygon2 Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Lucario: 42-50 (28.9 - 34.4%) -- 5.6% chance to 3HKO (That's if P2 happens to trace Mega Lucario's ability and runs Tri Attack)

Physical Mega Lucario 2HKOs P2 as well, and OHKOs specially defensive variants:

252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 156-184 (81.2 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 216-256 (112.5 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)