Project Break This Team (Week 42)

Core 2 - I hate volcarona ROFL
Core 5 - Mew really can tear the team a new one especially after mane faints

Was tempted to vote core 9 as Houndoom is underrated but Volcarona and mew are truly stand out threats

Alright, voting has ended. Sorry for the delay. The winner for this week is Dr Ciel with his Gengar + Mega Scizor core.Congratulations to him and thanks everyone for your contributions!!!

Core 1: 6 votes
Core 2: 2 votes
Core 5: 1 vote
Core 6: 3 votes
Core 7: 4 votes
Core 8: 1 vote
Core 9: 2 votes

This week we're going to break Team Pokepals 's Mega Manectric Offense. Good luck and have fun!!!

Manectric-Mega (M) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 8 Atk / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost

Talonflame (M)
Ability: Gale Wings
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Acrobatics
- Roost

Azumarill (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Skarmory (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Iron Head
- Spikes / Whirlwind

This was the original core I started with. I really love Kyurem-Black, as it's really hard to switch into, and it does really well against Balance teams and fairly well against Stall teams. Mega Manectric struggles with both of those archetypes, but it's able to do really well against HO, which is something Kyurem-Black doesn't do too great against. Kyurem-Black also gets rid of fat grounds and grass types for Mega Manectric, so that made me really wanna go forth with this one.

Neither member of the original core could defeat Clefable, so I decided to add Talonflame, as it's able to really shut it down (which is really fun to do), and it also gave me a stallbreaker, which was great seeing as how stall was the least prepared playstyle to face for the original core.

Sand offense looked really annoying for my team to face, and I decided to add a revenge killer in Azu, since it's able to defeat some mons via Aqua Jet, and more notably check some mons on rain teams like Kingdra. It also gave me something to send in to handle Zard X, as Aqua Jet + Flare Blitz damage would sometimes be enough to take it down, and if not, then Talonflame could finish the job if necessary.

At this point, I felt like I needed something else to help out with Rain, Sand and Keldeo. Luckily Celebi fit the bill, and it gave me a stealth rock user. It also gave me something for speed control and taking scalds/status conditions, which I felt really threatened my team at this point.

I didn't have anything for Mega Diancie nor anything for switching into Latios barring Azumarill (who wouldn't wanna take a Psyshock/Thunderbolt anyways), but I also needed hazard removal for Talonflame, and that's where Skarmory really fit in.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Earthquake

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Band
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Fire Punch

These two form a powerful wallbreaking duo and between them decimate this team. With its coverage, power and speed, scarf Kyurem-B can take all the members one-on-one by itself - EQ for M-Mane (68% chance to OHKO after rocks and intimidate), fusion bolt for Azu, Skarm and Talon, ice beam for Celebi and outrage for Kyurem. Hoopa is similar with its great power and coverage and can also take on each member of the team 1-on-1, with gunk shot for Azu, hyperspace fury for Celebi, drain punch for Kyurem and fire punch for Skarm. Hyperspace fury also cleanly OHKOs Talon, and OHKOs Mane after SR even with intimidate. It's not quite as good as Kyurem though as it is KOd by Aqua jet + acrobatics and also hates Talon's will-o-wisp.
Between them, although one of them would most likely be KO'd in the process, the two of them should have no problem breaking apart this team. Pair it with healing wish support to heal status or the damage caused by priority and it's even more threatening.

Last edited:

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Reserving Chary-X + Serperior

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Serperior @ Meadow Plate
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Taunt

DD Charizard-X is probably the biggest threats to the team, as it can get free set-ups on Manectric, Talon, and Skarm (if it doesn't pack Whirlwind) and can easily OHKO five of the six members of this team with relative ease. On the other side of things, Serperior can blow through this team by spamming Leaf Storm and its coverage moves once Talonflame is eliminated and Celebi is significantly weakened.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tyrantrum @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Recover
Head smash fucks the team into oblivion from tyrantrum lol, skarm gets 2hko'd easily, but tyrantrum has an annoying time switching into azu and frens. Additionally, Reuni can set up on shit and sweep pretty easily when boosted although it doesn't like tanking too many powerful hits in a row as well as hitting the team really hard with STAB+fblast.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP, 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Hypnosis

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

I talked with team pokepals maybe like a week or two ago about his team and I asked him how he normally handles Gengar in which his reply was a combination of Talonflame + Manectric. Seeing as how he would more than likely be using Talonflame as the switch in to Gengar it's pretty simple to catch it with Hypnosis and then have this duo go to work. Pokepals team doesnt have a ground so it makes it really easy for Tyranitar to click Stone Edge while pressuring M-Manectric with trapping through banded pursuit. Nothing stomachs Gengar on the team so once Tyranitar cleans out Tflame and M-Manectric or wear them down it's normally easy pickings.

Infernal

Banned deucer.

Ampharos
@ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Signal Beam

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

I know FB is better than Signal Beam in every way on Mega Amphy. For the purposes of breaking this team though, Signal Beam is better. This is because Mega Amphy is able to OHKO every member with its STABs, bar Celebi and Mega Manec. Running bug coverage fixes the issue with Celebi and makes Mega Amphy capable of sweeping the entire team all alone. Setting up an Agility isn't too hard either. Celebi can't touch you, while Skarm and Talon are forced to switch unless they are willing to risk dying. Some calcs:

Signal Beam vs Celebi: 89.1 - 105.9% - 37.5% chance to OHKO
Dragon Pulse vs Kyurem-B: 92.5 - 109.4% - 56.3% chance to OHKO
Thunderbolt vs Talonflame: 89.1 - 105.2% - 31.3% chance to OHKO
Thunderbolt vs Azumarill: 109.8 - 130.2%
Dragon Pulse vs Mega Manectric: 71.5 - 84.3%

Mega Manectric aside, every Pokemon can potentially be killed in one blow. Modest secures the KOs but makes you slower than Mega Manec, forcing you to take two HP Ices. This is better to avoid. SR is all you need to guarantee the needed KOs with Timid and that's where Terrakion comes in. Prior to Mega Manec evolving, Terrak is faster than the entire team and can secure SR well. Skarm's Defog attempts are Taunted. Should Skarm try killing you with Iron Head, Mega Amphy is free to come in afterwards. With Celebi, Terrak can Taunt to prevent any funny business and then go for SR. If it tries killing you with Giga Drain in the process, Mega Amphy can come in for an Agility and proceed to sweep. Talon and Kyurem-B dislike Terrak's STAB moves. Mega Manec and Azu also take a good chunk, and aren't able to stop SR. Overall, Terrak's ability to secure SR against this team allows Mega Amphy to sweep the team easily.

Two final things worth mentioning. Mega Ampharos resists both forms of priority on this team. With Mold Breaker, it's also able to KO Skarm through Sturdy and stop a potential WW. Even though Mega Amphy isn't the best Pokemon out there, all of these traits make it a big threat to the team. Even standard FB variants work paired with something to lure or weaken Celebi. Add Mega Amphy's fun and cute factor and you have yourself a good choice to break this team with :)

Last edited:

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 8 Atk / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb/ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot

So dis core basically terrarizes the team. If Thundurus sets up NP its basically G_G. If manectric didn't mega thundy has no problem sweeping. Tho if it did mega kyu-b works as a solid check to it and dents the team pretty well also. Also Thundy can't get killed by BB and Band AJ.

+2 252 SpA Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Manectric: 306-360 (108.8 - 128.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 72-85 (24 - 28.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 160-189 (53.5 - 63.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

No more time for posting cores. Yes thats right its voting time and if anyone has a problem with it you can speak to my lawyer (Who is really my thunder waving Clefable). We have 6 cores this week for breaking this well built team so get voting

Cores

Core 1 - Kyurem Black + Hoopa U
Core 2 - Charizard X + Serperior
Core 3 - Tytrantrum + Reuniclus
Core 4 - Gengar + Tyraniter
Core 5 - Mega Amphoras + Terrakion
Core 6 - Kyurem Black + Thundorous

As per usual everyone gets 2 votes and voting ends monday afternoon West Australia time (I work in the morning ROFL). May the best core Win

I'll be updating the team on monday as Random Passerby is busy with the lunar new year

King Sun Probably to late for you to enter voting but you can finish the core you started if you want

Last edited:
Reactions: Sun

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
sorry man,i forgot to fix the core 0_0
Core 4

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Core 4
Core 6

Kinda surprised no one mentioned Talonflame nor Bisharp (especially this one since it's the biggest threat by far).

Gengar is a pain like AM said, and Kyube is just painful to deal with in general.

Reactions: zbr
Alright Voting Time is over. Sorry for the delay, A little stress cause My parents still insist on trying to bring me into there affairs................ Anyway We have a winner and its core 4 by a whopping 7 Votes Congratulations to AM for making his 2nd hall of Fame with his Tyraniter + Genger core

Vote Count:
Core 1 - 1
Core 2 - 3
Core 3 - 1
Core 4 - 7
Core 5 - 0
Core 6 - 1

This Week we will be breaking -Magic- Mega Pinser Team. While pinser is not the nearly suspected all conquering powerhouse it was towards the end of XY in the days before T-wave Clef and electric spam. It is still a nuisence to switch into and with a little support can still 6-0 teams. Anyway Goodluck this weak and have fun breaking it

Sets
Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-Turn
- Healing Wish

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 228 Def / 32 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn
- Stealth Rock

Breloom @ Fist Plate
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Swords Dance

Explanation:
As gooda hyper offence Team as any This team is built around the combination of Mega Pinser, Kyurem and Jirachi. 3 Pokemon known for being extremly hard to swtich into. Mega Pinsir can beat almost anything, but in general it doesn't like bulky grounds or fast electrics as many today have ways to wear it down passively and offensively. So Kyurem-Black is a great partner for it since it at best soft checks most electrics and outright beat most grounds. Together they create a potent wallbreaking duo. Scarf Jirachi is pretty great in terms of utility such as healing up a teammate, revenge killing, and maintaining momentum which is greatly appreciated by these two. Everything else is dedicated to eliminating the few checks the core has

Starmie was added as it clears away Stealth Rocks and other hazards since Kyurem-Black and Mega Pinsir lose a great deal of HP upon switching into Stealth Rock. It also works as a valuable, yet shaky switch-in to Keldeo, but the original core still has ways to play around it itself. Next Landorous is added to set hazards and act as a physical catch all as well as pairing with jirachi to make a nice U-turn engine While Breloom patchs the weakness to darks and Cleans late game should the chance arise

Link to original Post http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/beauty-behind-the-madness-1k-rmt.3563238/

Thats the team. You have till Saturday morning Australia Time to post Cores. Goodluck

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch
Standard Dual Weather core. Charizard-Y has a pretty easy time against this team because 3 pokemon are outsped and OHKO'd by Fire Blast. Starmie can outspeed and hit Char-Y hard (doesn't OHKO though) but risks getting trapped by Tyranitar. Jirachi can outspeed and try to flinchspam Charizard-Y, but being locked into Heart Stamp means Tyranitar gets of a free Pursuit. Mega Pinsir is the only pokemon on the team that wins 1v1 against a 100% Charizard-Y, but it is outsped and OHKO'd by Scarf Tyranitar.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)