Project Break This Team (Week 42)

I've used this team before and one of the biggest threats is zardy pursuit. Zardy on its own dismantles 5/6ths of the team and pursuit beats latios. Literally the only counterplay is to double with latios into lando on the ttar switch and get up rocks, then make smart switches to prevent their starmie from spinning. Even so, each free switch into zardy is a dead mon.

I like that this a team that can utterly laugh off clefable. 3 mons that are unneffected by T-wave and Scizor whom can play around it. A pokemon that can punch wholes in teams and switch into non ice beam clef for free. Honestly I dont why why this team isn't played more because it give's the face of OU a run for her money. The same can also be said for virtually any fairy pokemon not named Diancie as most really cant find time to spam there favoured moves. Aside from beating fairies The team has a fair match against the ever present sand teams and Deals with in general stuff like Bird spam albiet its rare right now

1 Thing that surprise's me tho is the teams lack of a dark switch. Yes the team has bulky Zor but I just dont like being forced to use it everytime weavile shows up. This allows easy doubling into magnezone or Lure's and once scizors Gone much of the teams pressure goes down and its ability to beat other offensive becomes dimished as a result. The Team atleast on paper (If I'm wrong let me know) also seem's reliant on scizor to beat naturally faster mons like Mega Zam and Lop whom can run a razor through the team once its gone. Lando is worn down, Hazards are up and there is nothing to stop either spaming there stab.

As for direct weakness. Both Zards are annoying for the team. Zard Y only needs Latios worn down to start Getting Kill's and torn T cant even reliably revenge due to its accuracy issue. Zard X is similar Once its in it can click D,Dance and then click Stab for huge dmg. Lando can only check it once and then its game pretty much. Opposing Scizor also prove a problem but not as great as the Zards. I'll post more later when I've done some more teating but thats what I see right now

Sobi

Banned deucer.
i'm not the best team analyser out there but with nidoking / latios / landorus-t / tornadus-t forming over half of the team and being 2x Ice weak - landorus-t being 4x ice weak - isn't this team pressured by ice-types like Weavile and Ice-type coverage users like Starmie? The team /does/ have mega scizor to revenge kill weavile with bullet punch and rotom-w can cripple with will-o-wisp but i feel that the weakness to ice is still glaring.

Im available on thursday if anyone wants to test this team or just cores in general. Ice Moves + Zards definatly seem to be this teams Achilles heal. Not a guaranteed Win by any standard but HP ice lures would prove to be a massive issue. Ice Punch Lopunny also seems to have plently of fun. I need to do more testing but right now I'm definatly leaning on either Zards or Lop as a key to breaking this team.

I was kinda hoping for more discussion since I Think this team is really good. But alas I cant delay anymore its time for posting cores.

Post Cores Now

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
That is TDKs team, not McMeghans lol

I might contribute to this soon.
its mcms, tdk told us, at least this variant. I think they worked on it together (maybe forgot the chats) and I only know cause this was discussed when they were replacing teams for sample team thread.

Edit: the semantics i guess are w/e just thought I would bring that up.

Last edited:
Just a few announcements to make. First things first Sobi has Retired from most of his Smogon Duties and projects including This one. I Just want to thank him for the time and contributions he has made to the project and Wish him well where ever life takes him. Secondly as a result of said retirement we've began the search for another Co-host. If your interested PM me or send me a message on my Profile Page. I maybe fairly busy these days but I will respond.

Finally the Hall of Fame has been updated. Our ever dominent Break this team Queen Infernal has moved to 9 on the hall of the fame ladder. Me and my fairies will catch you oneday I swear. In other results I netted my second Team on the board and daddy's kisses joins the hall of fame. Congrats to all of you for your contributions thus far.

Hall of Fame Tally

9 Infernal
3 Matthewc20090, Random Passerby
2 Little Lucario, Bendiving, cfdba, FrozenCold, Sketch Up, Random Passerby, Creator of Chaos
1 Team Pokepals, AM, Docter Ciel, Luaral, Flygoner818, Bludz, Gamer Boy, Ethanlol, Phantom Me, Soldier, Yuruuu, King Sun, Paper Dreams, Daddys Kisses

I'm gonna reserve Thunderous + Zard X. I feel like this team can easily be overloaded by these 2 offensive giants. I'll be available for testing later

+

Sets
Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch / Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave / Nasty Plot

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 180 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Dragon Dance

Explanation: Not much to really Say. This team lacks speed control and is somewhat vulnerable to bolt beam. This core is designed to exploit that. Thundo can easily double in on Scizor or Lando and either predict the switch or go for Nasty plot to really build up the damage. Nothing on this team really wants to swtich in into Thundo as 4 mons are weak to ice and nothing wants to deal with 2+ Thundo. Zard X is in a similar boat and once set up can easily plow through the team. Theres no Dragon move Switch in and while neither are garanteed to win on there own Once they are in Something is going to die. The Only checks to both are Lando Which is shaky and Torn T clean switching which is not reliable either. Both can be worn down if they over extend

Not a perfect core tho as it needs anti hazard support usally from Starmie or a lati and will get worn down quickly without it. Against the general Meta The core also benefits from Support from Clefable, Klefki and Pursuit users

Viability: Both have taken a modest hit as of late due to the Omni-presence of Lando T, Diancie and to a lesser extant clefable. Comeption from other megas does not help either It also needs anti hazard support but it still puts in work in the increasingly bulky meta and no team wants to be facing down either if there healthy late

Replays: Will get later

Last edited:
If anyone wants to try out cores, I'll be available tonight from 9.30 pm (GMT+7)

EDIT: I keep getting DC-ed for some reason. Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Last edited:
bisharp + mega lopunny

+

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch

SD bisharp does really well against this team as it can set up against many of it pokemon scizor rotom-w since it Lum SD lando-t gives it more attack and im pretty sure that bisharp live one heat wave from Torn-t if needs be also to speed is just enough speed to out speed lando-t and with lopunny the only switch is scizor which isnt a switch in if rocks are up also lopunny can weaken rotom-w for bisharp and can weaken lando-t for the bisharp sweep and is generally a pain for this team since it can nothing to out speed it.

E: still free to test cores/get replays sorry I missed last time :3

Last edited:
matthewc20090 please finish up.
I'll open voting in 3 hours. Sorry for the poor job this week. I don't have access to a computer rn.

EDIT: Voting is now open. Only 1 vote since we have only 2 completed cores.

Core 1: Thundurus + Zard X
Core 2: Bisharp + Mega Lopunny

Last edited:

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
I hope i am allowed to post my thoughts along my vote (Missed the discussion phase) :x

The team lacks speed (bar lati@s) and truly these two mons can cause havoc.Although I just saw that a Draco meteor can be threatening(Assuming Mega-char didnt got the attk and spe boost up yet). Scizor, although great in general can just become a set up fodder for both.

Anyways, voting for Core 1 :P

Core 2 - This team struggles against faster threats and Lop exploits this by hitting everything thats faster. Bisharp is in a similar postion and togethor the 2 can where down landorous so that 1 or the other can sweep

Not voting this time because as I said, I'm not familiar with how this team works. Just posting as a reminder to get your votes in before I close voting in 5 hours.

Reactions: Mq
Voting is now closed. Apologies for the delay, waiting for more activity but there's very few this week. Anyway, voting result is a win for Creator of Chaos who gets only 2 votes. Congrats to CoC!!

Anyway, I am delighted to announce that daddy's kisses has agreed to join the team and be a co-host for this project. This week, we'll be breaking his Mega Lopunny + Hydreigon bulky offense team. Good luck and have fun!!

Lopunny-Mega (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Hydreigon (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Fire Blast

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 20 SpA / 236 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- U-turn

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Tangrowth (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stun Spore
- Sleep Powder

Slowking (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

This build was based around the core of Lopunny and Specs Hydreigon, which aims to use Lop's anti-offense power and Hydra's balance breaking capability to cover each other's shortcomings. Lop and Hydreigon aren't exactly stellar at covering the metagame well in terms of simply checking stuff, so naturally the build would end up being quite defensive in nature. First major concern with the initial core was Clefable by far, and I looked to taunt + rocks Heatran to cover the build's issues there. From that point, I had several major roles to compress: sand check, Keld switch-in, speed control, and wincon. Since Keld switchins are fairly limited, I decided to evaluate how builds with each viable switchin would pan out, and the route with CM Slowking proved to be optimal. With Slowking, I could run Tang alongside Slowking and Heatran to complete an incredibly sturdy FWG core, which left me with a final slot that would need to fulfill the role of speed control in addition to checking huge threats like Mega-Pinsir and Mega-Heracross. HP Flying Scarf Lando fit well, as it provided a means of dealing with EQ Zard-X while checking the aforementioned threats decently.

EDIT: The team has been changed because it is very similar to Omfuga's OLT team.

Last edited:
OK, this is just my opinion from watching the replay. This team is fairly slow and relies a lot on Mega Lopunny and Scarf Landorus-T to avoid being overwhelmed by opposing sweepers. While it is normally not a problem, both Mega Lop and Scarf Landorus-T doesn't exactly enjoy taking hits so you might be pressured to sac one of your backbone defensive core just to get them in and pressure opposing Pokemon. Pokemon like Manaphy, Mega Charizard-Y, Weavile, Mega Pinsir and Tornadus-T generates a lot of pressure on this team because they outspeed 2/3 of the team and has the coverage to hit most of your Pokemon. In the case of Weavile and Mega Pinsir, they also have a priority move to KO 1 of your speed control (Scarf Lando / Mega Lop) so yeah, playing against those will prove to be annoying.

Offensively, Specs Hydreigon just slaughters anything slower than 98 Spe unless it is named Chansey or Azumarill. The FWG core of Heatran, Tangrowth and Slowking gives you solid answers to most fast Pokemon like Mega Diancie, Mega Alakazam and Talonflame.

I would think Speed boosters might be a problem but your team hardly gives it turns to set-up and most can be stopped by the team in an ideal situation. (Mega Gyara gets walled by Tangrowth, Zard checked by Lando and Heatran, etc.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)