Project Break This Team (Week 42)

I ran a real similar team recently with AV Tang, Skarm > Lando and Bro > King, which I prefer to be honest. On that team I found typical stall cores like Chansey + Slowbro really difficult to break, so I think something like CB Terrakion > Lop and M-Venu > Tang would be worth a try.

In terms of offensive threats, three attacks Manaphy is obviously the biggest despite being rare right now. If it's max speed you can't really do anything besides saccing stuff to get damage on it. Keldeo or Volcanion are massive threats as well since they always come with Pursuit support.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just judging from the makeup of this team, the team has a TON of trouble with Surf Latios+BandTar, with the team having to rely on slowking coming in to beat Latios, and Bandtar obviously pursuit trapping that and making it very difficult to deal with.

Not Completly sure without testing but on paper this team looks somewhat weak to Clefable. Not to the point of being overly crippled but Hydreigon needs to lure it to beat it which is not reliable and being choice locked gives clef an easy T-wave/Calm mind. This leave's Slowking as the main answer who is very vulnerable to pursuit Trapping, status and just being worn down. Something like a Clefable + Dark Spam could prove a nightmare for this team.

Team also appears to struggle with Sableye Stall. I just cant see anything other them Slowking after a boost who could beat through and even then chansey/toxic is a thing.

Team is pretty well rounded overall tho and would do well vs more offensive teams since Lopunny + scarfer covers alot but Having weakness's to common mons and dragon dancers leaves a bit to be desired. If heatran had magma storm instead of Lava plume stuff like sableye and clefable would be less annoying but it is what it is.

Since it appears core-posting has begun, I'd like to give this a try if thats alright with you all. Never done this before so lets see how it goes :)

Really solid team daddy's kisses, I love the Tangrowth+Slowking core you've managed to fit in and Specs Hydreigon hits like a freight train. One core that I've come across that can destroy your team is the well-known Bisharp + Mega Gallade core.

Mega Gallade and Bisharp are able to handle the team very well, breaking down most of it consistently, with Mega Gallade being able to handle 3.5 out of the 6 Pokemon, and Bisharp handling Slowking well. Now I will admit that Mega Lopunny is decent against this core, but does not OHKO Mega Gallade with any of it's attacks, even after SR damage. Mega Gallade is also immune to Fake Out damage due to it's ability Inner Focus. Mega Gallade is able to OHKO Mega Lopunny with both Zen Headbutt and Drain Punch, OHKO Hydreigon with Drain Punch, OHKO Landorus-T with Ice Punch, is able to 2HKO Heatran with Drain Punch (while barely being 2HKOd by Magma Storm), and can deal large amounts of damage to Tangrowth (about 40% Max with Ice Punch) while only taking at most 33.4% from Giga Drain. Bisharp OHKOs Slowking with a LO Knock Off, and can do upwards of 37.6% to Tangrowth, the only Pokemon that Mega Gallade may struggle with. The only real threat the team has against this core is either Sleep-Powdering or Stun Sporing both of these Pokemon, or play Mega Lopunny extremely well. Overall, this core handles the team very well, and can easily beat it when played correctly.

Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

+

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Heart Stamp
- Healing Wish

Bulky teams typically hate Manaphy and this team isn't an exception to the rule. With its bulk, Manaphy can easily set up Tail Glow and dismantle the defensive backbone of the team. As mentioned in the Discussion stage, this team relies a lot on Scarf Lando and Mega Lop to revenge kill threats which is a problem when they cannot OHKO Manaphy and get KOed in return. Jirachi allows you to play recklessly with Manaphy while also serving as a check to Mega Lopunny.

1) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-426842385
Nothing much to say here but this shows how easily Manaphy boosts and threatens this team. Perhaps CoC could be a bit more aggressive with Mega Lop but bear in mind that it's the only thing stopping him from being 6-0ed so if it eats a Scald, it will be GG much earlier.

2) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-426850797
Pretty much the same as the previous replay except that I could have cleaned with Pinsir if it didn't get a burn from Scald. Jirachi's Healing Wish again proved clutch as it cleans up the Toxic and allows Manaphy to clean (I don't want to risk another Scald burn on Pinsir).

Last edited:

Infernal

Banned deucer.

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power Fire
- Protect
Between its coverage moves, Kyu-B can KO or 2HKO every member on the team and super effectively attack each Pokemon besides Mega Lop. The big reason Kyu-B does well here is because it's able to dismantle the team's defensive core of Heatran, Tangrowth, and Slowking. They can all be forced to switch in fear of dying to the appropriate coverage move, allowing you to Sub up and open some holes afterwards. In case they do stay in, Sub protects you from any possible status and can only be reliably broken by Heatran. The EVs and nature make Kyu-B faster than Hydreigon too, letting you kill with Ice Beam before it's able to strike back. The team has to rely on Lando-T and Mega Lop to keep Kyu-B in check. This isn't too reliable though. Lando-T is forced to break your Sub with EQ and die to Ice Beam afterwards (U-turn only does 22.7 - 26.9%, meaning it's unable to always break your Sub). Although Mega Lop is more problematic, it's still taking over half from Ice Beam after breaking your Sub, meaning it's dying the next time around. Having teammates capable of keeping Mega Lop in check is definitely still needed, though.

Mega Diancie is the partner of choice mainly because it's able to comfortably stop Heatran from setting SR, which would otherwise limit Kyurem-B's switch in opportunities versus the team. Aside from this, Mega Diancie does some other cool things, namely 1. keeping Hydreigon in check, 2. scouting whether Lando-T will use EQ or U-turn, and 3. forcing Mega Lop into mind games thanks to Protect. It's also able to do a good chunk of damage to every member between Moonblast and Diamond Storm, making Mega Diancie a great choice of partner overall alongside Kyurem-B.

Replay 1 | Replay 2
  • Two replays versus daddy's kisses, who made the team in question. Kyu-B ends up cleaning house in both games (grabbing 5 kills over the course of replay 1), with Lando-T being forced to break the Sub and die afterwards in each battle as described above. As the replays show, the main thing keeping Kyu-B from running through the team is Mega Lop, which Amoonguss did a nice job keeping in check for me. Mega Diancie's presence during both games was helpful in preventing Heatran from setting down SR and limiting Kyu-B's chances to come in.

Last edited:
Scarf keldeo + T-tar

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Toxic/HP w/e

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

Scarf keldeo puts in alot of work versus this team after Slowking has been killed by T-tar and Tangroth Isnt doing much to stop keldeo as it isnt Assault vest so it doesnt deal with the special attack to well also keldeo can Toxic it on the switch in or hit it with a Hidden power that is super effective I like to run Toxic or Hidden power Bug personally also T-tar can lure in tangrowth with Ice punch to help get rid of it if need be but like I said if its not AV it not the best keldeo counter. scarf Keldeo is very good at late game sweeping against this team as it out speed all the team members and OHKO most of them.

Its a tough one to pick honestly as all the cores do fairly well against the team But Honestly I think I'm going to with Core 2. The team just struggles with Manaphy as the replays show with an unheathly reliance on slowking who can be lured out and even with a reliable answer in Lop Jirachi + other team mates can easily whittle the rabbit down.

So yeah Core 2 is my vote

I'm going with Core 3.

Like Manaphy, this team struggles badly against Kyurem-B and lacks the means to reliably revenge it, especially if it's hiding behind a Substitute. Mega Diancie is also cool to discourage Rocks which will cut down Kyu-B's health to make more Substitutes.

Core 2

Watching the replays the team does quite struggle with Manaphy, especially when Slowking is lowered

Breezy

formerly Quaze
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Voting core 3 for obvious reasons.
Just look at the pressure that sub cube makes to that team,,

Been a longish week so its time to round things up. Thank you everyone for your contributions this week. 4 Good Core's for Daddy's kisses team. Only bad thing was the lack of fairies. If you guys keep this up then you'll be facing my team in week 40. You have all been warned hahaha. Anyway the winner is Infernal with Diancie + Kyurem Core thats actually rather potent right now. Might need to find a team featuring the pair in the next few.

Vote Count

1 - 0 sorry dude
2 - 2
3 - 3
4 - 0 Apoligizes

As for the announcement. We are scrapping the Discussion Phase. As good an idea as it was its fizzled in the last few weeks and has started to detract from the primary competent core posting, pushing thread times out and acheiving little. I know things are slow at the moment due to end of gen fatigue but by going back to basics hopefully we can so good debate going again and have more fun. That aside Posting standards will remain as they are however as I dont want people spamming Meme Cores.

I'll update the OP over the weekend.

Week 37

The team for this week shall be Omfuga/ABR's OLT team. As used in the recent Wcop. Hopefully I grabbed the right one but I've been busy lately so I apologise for any tardiness. Very solid Lopunny Spike stacking team also staring my lovechild clefable so it gets bonus points for not only forcing hazard dmging switch's but also infuriating steels with flame thrower.

Sets

Lopunny-Mega (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 160 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 15 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 20 SpA / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- U-turn

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Explanation: Not Much to say really. The Team is built around Lopunnies ability to blanket offence and force switch's. For this Lando and ferrothorn are natural partners who exploit this ability to not only double in on potential switch's but lay hazards to let lop break things easier. Lando also carries HP fire to lure Bulky Zor and Skarmory who would would otherwise trouble to offensive compenant. After that Tyrantier is used to trap Bulky Psychics and Threaten Stall as well as take chunks out of anything that dares switch in. Starmie and Clef round out the team by offering decent blanket checks vs the meta, Hazard removal, Speed Control and in this case an alternate win con in clef that lures steels.

Feel free to post cores. Just remember Make sure everything is explained, Is in general viable and replays are strongly encouraged (But not mandatory). Have fun.[/Hide]

I'll be available thursday Night for anyone who wants to test Core's. Personally at quick this team actually seems week to opposing Lopunny and Clefable which is rather Ironic tho I could be wrong. T-wave Klefki also seems like a nuisence's but none are auto win buttons.

Hmm, looking at the team structure, it seems like it's going to be difficult to fight Mega Venusaur. Mega Alakazam, Breloom and Lum Berry Volcarona also look to be giving the team some trouble from a glance.

Last edited:
Biggest weakness imo is bulky grass types, ie Tang, Amoonguss and Venu, especially the former two due to regen making up for any damage taken from spikes and a lack of moves that can really hurt them outside of Clef. HP Fire Mega Diancie also looks like a huge problem for the team.

Fire set up mons look problematic along with water set up mons like B-drum azu and HP fire manaphy LO volc can do works as there is no thunder wave an clefable and it OHKO all other mons (LO make it so +1 bug buzz kills T-tar from full) and zard x can be a problem if lando-t takes too many hits and although HP fire is on lando-t and Flame thrower is on clefable id still say mega scizor is threatening as well.

mega pinsir eats besides twave spam + fake out, manaphy is super annoying once ferro gets burned/weakened (hp fire can also eat if it has it), and mega lopunny is also a big threat, but im picking excadrill + tangrowth as the team cant do much to this combo at all (unless you play bad), as drill blows back everything except lando, and tangy walls it.

e: im on comp now instead of mobile now so I can flesh it out a bit

This core is one of my favorites on sand teams because of how tangy is able to check so much that can annoy excadrill, like waters (azu and craw for jet spammers and fat stuff like rotom-w and non cm slowbro), grounds (lando, opposing drill), and breloom to name a few, while drill eliminates fire and ice types and can check things like mega pinsir and talonflame.
if u see this cinnamon toast crunch is good as fuck almost as good as eating ass

Looking at this team, you can see that Excadrill is a pretty big threat to it. Being able to a ton to all 6 members (lando checks it but it can get worn down so fast + if its Air Balloon, it has to either have another member of the crew pop the balloon or waste a turn itself popping it and preserving the balloon is smart anyway) is definitely annoying. Meanwhile, Tangrowth checks Starmie, LandoT, and Lopunny (more relevant when Excadrill is out of sand ), while being a nuisance in general, being able to spam Sleep Powder and Knock Off without too much difficulties. Listed below are my recommended sets for this core, and the ones in bold are the ones I prefer against this team, however change them the way you see fit for your team.
Excadrill @ Air Balloon / Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance / Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers (RH is definitely preferred to annoy lop more tho)
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 240 HP / 220 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Stun Spore

Last edited:
It appears that Serperior can eliminate enemies on this team with more ease than usual, given the lack of a Fire- or a Flying-type. At least in theory, it appears that Serperior has the possiblity to put some smiles on the enemy. If by smile you mean making them bleed to death with leaves.
+
+

I would leave it at that, but rules mandate 2 or 3 friendlies to work together. Reexamining the enemies, I found that the enemy Mega Lopunny could neutralize Serperior given that some of its homies injured Serperior earlier, so I added some friends of my own. Allow me to introduce Garchomp the Human Humon Shield and Klefki the Sadistic Spike Setter. These two aim at forcing the enemy Mega Lopunny to kill itself, specifically by making its hands/feet bleed via indirect damage. Garchomp absorbs the enemy Lopunny's attacks, and can even directly damage its enemy with an Earthquake. Klefki, though it may make me feel incredibly guilty for inflicting such inhumane pain on the enemy (even for my standards, and in a game like Pokémon where you try to make the enemy bleed to death), has the responsibility of setting Spikes for more indirect damage on the enemy Mega Lopunny (damaging, beyond repair, its feet it likes to kick its enemies with) and confining it to a wheelchair with Thunder Wave, allowing Serperior to prey on its enemy who can't even defend itself. Chople Berry Ferrothorn can work as a more humane substitute for Klefki, though it cannot administer self-healing without Leech Seed, and having 2 Grass-types isn't a great idea unless you're trying to go for a Monotype Grass team. Landorus-T can work as a more mainstream method of neutralizing the enemy Mega Lopunny.

Movesets can be whatever, but I used my preferred loadout here.
Serpercilious (Serperior) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Fire
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Chompski (Garchomp) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

K9 of Pain (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

BloomNDoom (Ferrothorn) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave

Fairy Painful (Klefki) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Play Rough

Keldeo @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

SubCM Keldeo wins. If a single Pokemon can't count as a submission then take this as a comment. Clefable, Starmie and Ferrothorn are all set-up fodder with the listed moves; everything else is outsped and KO'd. You could pair it with something like a Magma Storm Heatran or a Healing Wish user but it just isn't necessary.

Mega Venusaur, Serperior and Nidoking are some more things which mostly auto-win off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)