Project Break This Team (Week 42)

Hall of Fame has been updated. 2 Weeks in a row Bendiving has won a hall of fame spot. Keep it up :).

Reserving Mega gardevoir + Raikou + Jirachi

Sets
Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt / Calm Mind

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Calm Mind

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Explanation: What can I say. Mega gardevoir can easily floor most of the team of her own with the set. Hyper voice's OHKOs or 2hkos anything that does not resist while taunt prevents status and recovery. The only thing that prevents her are Skarm at full and Talon which is where T-Bolt comes in luring in both birds to there death. If that nots enough Calm Mind Raikou Beats both birds and can easily finish off what remains of the team Should Garde go down. Finally Jirachi rounds out the core again cleaning should garde down, tricking Chansey or one of the birds and using healing wish to bring back garde

Last edited:
You only need one pokemon, but I guess I need to give 2.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Tyranitar is running a flames BW Spread that outpaces not invested Skarmory. Destroys stall without Dugtrio and Mega Scizor. No further explanation is needed, get this bad boy in safely and spam Stone Edge (Crunch for Quagsire). You don't even need the other 3 moves.

Did Tyranitar get burned in the process of killing Mega Sableye or Talonflame? Its okay, you have healing wish, and a flames Keldeo check. This set isn't focused on beating this stall team specifically, but Healing Wish Latias and Tyranitar work together as a battering ram vs offense as well.

Diffiucult team to beat I admit this weak but thats where the fun is. Anyway time for some cores

Voting Time:
Remember everyone gets 2 Votes.

Core 1 Manaphy + Torn-T
Core 2 Talonflame + Hoopa Unbound
Core 3 Diancie +Lucario
Core 4 Gardevoir + Raikou + Jirachi
Core 5 Tyranitar + Latias

Voting will end monday afternoon Australia time. Either myself or Random Passerby will post the next team. If any voters have a preference let us know when you vote.

Just a suggestion, I think it would be easier if you added the icons of the 6 team members of a team that was being broken to the archive. This way ppl like me who don't follow this thread regularly can look at the archive and understand it much more quickly. Furthermore, linking the original post that has an explanation of the core breaking the team would furthermore make it easier to get more information from the archive. Thanks, and nice job!

Thanks for the suggestion FlamingVictini I will update the hall of fame with your ideas as soon as I get to a pc to make the archive easier to understand. :)

While you're would you like to vote on this weeks core XD. Where kinda in a tie break

I vote for core 2 and core 3. These cores overall seem the most effective to me to break this team, and I would have voted for core 2 if I only had one vote.

Also to comment on the AM team that was broken last week, i have used a team with torn-t over gengar before in ost several times in fact, did pretty well but i think these kinds of builds kinda have a limit as to how well they can perform. Not really related but I wanted to just add that haha

Well I Dont believe this and unless I've miscounted It appears we have a 3 way tie for the Hall of Fame. Congrats to Infernal , Random Passerby and Laurel for all making it this week.

Vote Count
Core 1 - 1
Core 2 - 4
Core 3 - 4
Core 4 - 1
Core 5 - 4

Anyway Now that this done we shall move onto another stall Team. This one is the Infamous wonder trio team made by Branflakes325 and I'm kinda looking foward to this one as Stall has been troubling me lately. Yes the T-wave Cancer australian fairy king is having trouble with stall no need to inform the press's.

Dont Disappoint me otherwise next weeks team will be T-wave spam. Goodluck. BTW happy new year Smogon

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Rest

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Lonely Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
- Defog
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 20 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Roost

Explanation:

First off, I apologize for all of the suffering I've been causing on the ladder by introducing Shedinja-based fat teams. I understand that this strategy is stupid to face and only worsens the match-up issue we already deal with on a regular basis. That being said, I'm honestly surprised that it took over half a year for Shedinja to start seeing some use in ORAS OU. With the addition of the new ORAS mega evolutions, a few dominating forces were introduced to the OU metagame such as Metagross, Altaria, Lopunny and Diancie. On the defensive side of the mega evolution spectrum, we got Mega Sableye - a pokemon known for its ability to control the hazard game. In one way or another each of these new megas actually made Shedinja more viable than ever before. For what it's worth, Shedinja has always been one of my favorite pokemon and its unique type/stats/ability have always been intriguing to me.

This team fares pretty well against all kinds of teams ranging from full stall to cancer pass to hyper offense, while being particularly effective against rain offense. Like any team it has a fair share of weaknesses and most likely has room for improvement, so rates and feedback are always appreciated. Even with the team's shortcomings, I've managed to top the ladder multiple times and get many accounts to top 10. I'd even go far enough to say that the combination of Shedinja, Sableye and Dugtrio is borderline broken, but that's a discussion for another time.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Energy Ball

With rocks in place, all Manaphy needs to do is set up one tail glow to outspeed and OHKO literally the entire team. Excadrill can sets stealth rock vs M-Sab thanks to mold breaker and forces out Togekiss thanks to STAB iron head, meaning it's free to easily keep rocks up throughout the match.

Last edited:

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Reserving Specs & Dual Dance Landorus-T

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind / Hidden Power Bug / Hidden Power Electric

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers / Soft Sand
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 56 HP / 220 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

Specs Keldeo does a huge number to this team, 2HKOing Seismitoad & Sableye with its STAB moves, while also eliminating Duggy with no problems whatsoever. Landorus-T can easily clean up should it get a Rock Polish up on Togekiss & can remove Shedinja and Talonflame, both of which are huge threats to Keldeo with a well timed Stone Edge.

Last edited:

Infernal

Banned deucer.
Gliscor
@ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 24 Def / 164 SpD / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Roost

Clefable
@ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

The team is heavily reliant on preventing SR for Shedinja to function. Clefable takes advantage of this by making it difficult for Mega Sableye to prevent SR. Togekiss can come in on Clefable and Defog away rocks rather easily, though. However, that's part of the strategy behind this core. Once Clefable brings Togekiss in, Gliscor can switch in freely and activate Toxic Orb safely, preventing itself from being burned by other teammates later. From there, you can SD with nothing to fear and proceed to single-handedly sweep the team between EQ, Rock Slide, and Roost. Gliscor's EV spread allows you to take Seismitoad's Scald and Mega Sableye's Foul Play comfortably, Roost the damage to stay healthy, and continue going to town. It's worth noting that you shouldn't mindlessly boost to +6 in front of Mega Sableye, as you don't want Foul Play doing too much damage. One SD is all you really need to take the whole team down. All in all, the core is effective at breaking this team down and is viable in general.
Replay #1

Turns 1-3 were done to replicate a situation where Glisc can SD for free. This can usually be done on either Dug, Toge, or Talon assuming Orb is already active. Turn 4 features Glisc grabbing a SD and Mega Sab directly switching in to begin the 1v1. Foul Play proceeds to do 42% (the calc ranges from 40.7 - 48.4%) on turn 5, and then Mega Sab is forced to Recover on turn 6. From there, Mega Sab has 58% health while Glisc has 83%. Because Foul Play does 61.1 - 72.2% after another SD, Glisc is free to power up again on turn 7 and kill Mega Sab afterwards. Glisc then has free reign from there, having enough bulk in SpD to tank Scald's from Seismitoad, regain enough health with Roost, and finish the sweep.
Replay #2

The same situation where Glisc can SD for free is replicated, followed by Mega Sab coming in to begin the 1v1. This time on turn 5, Foul Play rolls higher than in replay #1, doing 47% (near max) compared to 42%. Mega Sab is then sitting at 56% while Glisc is at 78%, enough health to avoid dying from Foul Play after +4. After killing Mega Sab, Glisc sits at 32%, which is enough to live Talon's BB and proceed from there. In this replay, Talon decides to Taunt rather than BB in an attempt to live an EQ with Seismitoad (68.8% chance to kill) and KO back with Scald. It's not necessary to risk this though, as you can just switch Glisc out and find another chance to come in on Shedinja, Dug, or Toge later.
As the replays show, a situation where Glisc has enough health to grab a second SD without fearing a KO from Foul Play while Mega Sab is slightly under 60% will usually arise. From there, sweeping is easy. Because EQ and Recover have the same PP, the other possible situation is Mega Sab continuously spamming Recover on EQ until its PP is gone. This should be avoidable by throwing out some EQs out at the start and then proceeding to use RS to save some PP as necessary/deplete theirs. From my experience though, most people go directly for Foul Play, so this situation doesn't happen much compared to the ones shown in the replays.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Core: Feint Mega Pinsir+Rocks Clef

Description: This team doesn't have any flying resists, and its flying checks get worn down very quickly to say the least, so birdspam can easily overwhelm this team. Mega pinsir does a number to this team, 2hkoing every single member, and this is made worse because talonflame, a mon 4x weak to rocks is the team's only way of checking this bar dugtrio with its sash in tact, which is unreliable to say the least. If you can manage to get up rocks with how much this core pressures mega sableye, Clefable being one of the only rock setters that beat it, then you are definitely in the clear vs this team. All you need to do is get to +2 and watch feint pinsir do its work, ohkoing talonflame and duggie after rocks with feint and annihilating the rest of the team with return. Clefable can also lure in shedinja with flamethrower and freely spam moonblast when mega pinsir lures in talonflame and kills it with feint.
Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Close Combat
- Feint

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Last edited:
Ohh so I got to counter team Wheezer in an OU room tour when he was running this. We ended up agreeing to mirror metronome battle instead of stall v counterstall but I won so I think the counterteam was successful.

Generally I'd use a MB Exca core but Bendiving beat me to it (Exca+Energy ball Hoopla... yuck). So I'm going with something that I've been experimenting with.

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Wood Hammer
- Blizzard

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Wish
- Protect

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Psyshock

The beautiful thing about abomasnow is NO ONE prepares for him anymore even with his enormous Special Attack stats. More importantly, his stabs go unresisted on this team outside shedinja, who can never come in to play with him. After Aboma comes in, there's a five turn window that Shedinja just can't function. Clefable then is really hard to wall out outside of Talonflame, which the threat of CM will provoke an immediate response. I just included slowbro because he covers that off perfectly and forces back in Seismatoad, who Abomasnow can play with all day.

Basically every time abomasnow gets a free turn, something is eating a nice helping of snow. Nothing on the team walls him well, including mega Sableye:

252+ SpA Mega Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 178-210 (58.5 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
252+ SpA Mega Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 181-214 (50.4 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

His best two options are taking exorbitant amounts of damage and completely covered by the other pokes. Rocks are going up soon enough and talonflame no longer can come in until Toge gets in there. This has to occur when Slowbro is in, which only occurs if Talonflame comes in. It's a rough life.

+

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Description T-tar
Defensive T-tar has a decent time versus this team. Sand means that Shedinja is no longer a viable switch in for many things (As this shedinja lacks safety goggles), while Tyranitar's bulk and combination stab means he threatens all of this teams mons with the exceptions of M-Sableye and Seismitoed. Getting trapped by Dugtrio also is not a problem as long as you've managed to break its sash.

Relevant calcs:

252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 162-192 (40.1 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dugtrio: 202-238 (100.4 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk burned Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 368-434 (102.5 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Togekiss: 228-270 (61.1 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Mega Sableye Foul Play vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 45-53 (11.1 - 13.1%) -- possibly the worst move ever

0 SpA Seismitoad Scald vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 102-120 (25.3 - 29.7%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Description Clefable
HP-Ground Magic guard Clefable is an underused set that is splendid versus teams packing Spdef Heatran and it does reasonable damage to steels as well - it's also a decent switch in for Will-o spam. However, for this team I think it is quite decent. HP ground means you can hit Talonflame on a roost and deal tons of damage depending on how many Calm mind's you've set up (This is worst case scenario). With the Sand stream support from Tyranitar rendering Shedinja useless and Stone edge to take care of T-flame, Clefable can set up to its hearts content and solo the rest of the team (as this team lacks Thunder Wave)

Relevant Calcs
+3 0 SpA Clefable Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 188-222 (52.3 - 61.8%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 114-135 (28.9 - 34.2%) -- 99.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

+3 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Seismitoad: 211-250 (51 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Seismitoad Scald vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 69-82 (17.5 - 20.8%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

+3 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss: 217-256 (58.1 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
8 SpA Togekiss Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 87-103 (22 - 26.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

+3 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dugtrio: 397-468 (197.5 - 232.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 124-147 (31.4 - 37.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

+3 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 434-512 (142.7 - 168.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Mega Sableye Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 36-43 (9.1 - 10.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Last edited:

Talonflame + Diancie

Talonflame @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Atk / 16 Def / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Natural Gift

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Rock Polish

This Natural Gift Grass Talonflame set alone should 6-0 this team with relative ease. The only potential problem it might face is Stealth Rock damage, so I paired it with a Rock Polish Diancie who can prevent rocks while weakening Seismitoad should Talonflame lose its berry for whatever reason. Diancie also does extremely well versus this team, so it was a natural pairing. Branflake's team is far to passive to dish out legitimate damage to this Talonflame, giving it free reign to do whatever it wants. Bulk Up prevents Mega Sableye from punishing it with Foul Play, and the EV spread is designed to not only outspeed all of the team, but live any two hits it wants to throw out there. This bird is the ultimate answer to Branflake's team. All you need to do is break Dugtrio's sash and it's GG.

Here are some calcs.
228+ Atk Liechi Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Seismitoad: 432-512 (104.6 - 123.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
228+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Dugtrio: 384-453 (191 - 225.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Mega Sableye Foul Play vs. 248 HP / 16 Def Talonflame: 151-178 (42 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Togekiss Air Slash vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 127-151 (35.3 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 16 Def Talonflame: 141-166 (39.2 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Mega Gyarados + Gliscor
+

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Substitute

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roost

Mega Gyarados behind a sub can sweep the team itself, and the only problems would really be just Dugtrio outspeeding it or Talonflame burning it. Gliscor mitigates those problems as Dugtrio can't do squat against it, and Talonflame can go for Taunt, but die to Stone Edge. Sub protects Gyarados from everything, and Mold Breaker gets past Water Absorb and Wonder Guard (even though Crunch already kills it), so it's really the key move in order for it to sweep.

Last edited:
Togekiss + Gliscor

Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
- Roost

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 104 SpD / 160 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Roost

or

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Roost
Looking at the team I immediately noticed that Togekiss easily sweeps once it sets up a Nasty Plot. The only way to stop it is Talonflame, which loses against every variant of Gliscor anyway; Gliscor can also run Rock Slide for the opponent's Togekiss. The given Speed EVs allow it to outspeed TankChomp and other Pokemon that usually runs 265.

Last edited:

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Substitute Mega Sharpedo + Garchomp

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Garchomp (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Endure

How to Use Substitute Mega Sharpedo
Step 1: Use Substitute against Mega Sableye, Seismitoad or Shedinja since neither of them can break Substitute
Step 2: SPAM Crunch to do the most damage against the team
Step 3: If Togekiss comes in use Ice Fang (or Poison Jab)
Step 4: If Talonflame comes in use Waterfall
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit/EZ Win

Togekiss and Talonflame are the only major threats to Substitute Mega Sharpedo since they can either live or do massive damage to it. Shedninja can't do any damage because it doesn't have Bug Type moves, Seismitoad can't break Substitute with Scald and Knock Off, and Mega Sableye gets walled 100%. Garchomp doesn't really do too much against the team, but you can use it to lure some Pokemon being a supportive role when using this Core.

VS Branflakes325 http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-267021875

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
to be fair that team has a ton of weaknesses especially when compared to other successful teams.

Why post a whole core when there's pokemon that solo's?

I spent some time looking through the dex trying to find a single pokemon that hits a few bullet points:

• 2hkos phys defensive sableye and isn't too hurt by burn
  • hits shedinja somehow
  • is not trapped by dugtrio and is also not ohko'd by stone edge or eq
  • beats talonflame and isn't too hurt by burn
  • beats togekiss, preferably 1hko but 2hko is acceptable
  • beats seismitoad and isn't too hurt by scald burn or knock off
I added a few more qualifers in order to make sure that something too gimmicky didn't show up on the radar:

• Is useful against other OU threats and hopefully at least has enough speed to beat base 80s, preferably at least 100s
  • Has recovery. This point can be very important in order to not get worn down by status, hazards, and taking glancing hits
  • Unfortunately that only leaves you with 3 attacking moves. Is that really enough?

So besides hidden power [rock] clefable here's what I found...

Zapdos @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Modest Nature / Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Roost

Due to its speed tier Zapdos may seem like a dissapointing recover + 3 attacks pokemon. Surely something like kyurem, hydreigon, charizard, etc fullfill this role better? Hitting hard and recovering later. Well perhaps, and perhaps not. You have to be the judge. Offensive zapdos was used in an OU room tour recently and helped the guy win. It really can be quite useful: revenge killing charizard-y and manaphy, hitting steels with fire, and having quite a strong stab. On the other hand it is exploitable by many dragons and spdef walls, who can use it as set up fodder or a chance to cleric.

Nevertheless, it in fact solos the entire team and here are the calcs and notes:

SABLEYE
252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mega Sableye: (54.4 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 144+ SpD Mega Sableye: (48.1 - 57%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: (45.8 - 54.4%) -- 52.3% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Mega Sableye Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Zapdos: (29.9 - 35.5%) -- 23% chance to 3HKO
The decision between modest and timid has important implications whether you run into a phys or spdef leaning sableye.
The team in question has phys def sableye, so, timid is sufficient to 2hko. Spdef sableye is another beast altogether.
The fight obviously gets hairy and Zapdos will probably be low afterwards from foul play and LO recoil, but zapdos DOES win.

TOGEKISS
252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Togekiss: (88.4 - 104.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
Drops like a rock and can't even paralyze Zapdos if you run into a different variant.
Modest 252 Zapdos also outspeeds Timid 252 Togekiss (and all other +nature base 80s)

DUGTRIO
252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Hidden Power Grass vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dugtrio: (134.3 - 159.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Dugtrio Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Zapdos: (56 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Zapdos can either switch out, spam roost, or kill it if the sash was broken. Stone edge will not ohko you unless you were worn down by something earlier.

TALONFLAME
252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: (94.1 - 111.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Zapdos: (19.3 - 22.7%) -- possible 5HKO
Zapdos is the clear winner.
Of note, 252 speed neutral nature Zapdos outspeed these spdef talonflames, even if they have significant speed creep. Talon needs at least 48 speed EVs to taunt zapdos but spdef variants usually only have 8 or 16. You can roost freely if in need of HP. Also, if they try to burn you on turn 1, you'll actually just ohko them without getting statused.

SEISMITOAD
252+ SpA Life Orb Zapdos Hidden Power Grass vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Seismitoad: (76.7 - 90.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Unfortunately even modest doesn't quite OHKO this so zapdos has to take a hit. However, if you are modest, then even if you get your life orb knocked off you can still 2HKO the sableye.

SHEDINJA
2hko'd by heat wave

So there you have it. What does zapdos have over something similar like Grass Knot Thundurus? One word: recovery.
Zapdos can sweep through the entire team on turn 1 except for the pesky dugtrio that can kill you with Stone Edge at the right time. You do have to find a time to roost. But recovering in that way is not something that any other electrics can boast.

The great thing about this Zapdos is the teammates don't matter. It completely counter teams wonder trio and your other 5 teammates really don't need to do anything except perhaps provide a breather against sableye or dugtrio. They should instead be focused on dealing with the rest of the metagame because Zapdos, while a useable UU mon, isn't the greatest electric to be using, and needs a solid team around it.

But is offensive Zapdos actually USELESS against common OU threats? No, it isn't deadweight.

It has very useful ground immunity, flying resist, and decent speed. It will get some sort of hits off even against offense, and while not as useful as thundurus in that scenario, thundurus in turn is not as useful against sableye stall. It isn't weak. It can check common threats such as pinsir, scizor, manaphy, talonflame, keldeo locked in certain moves, and many steels and ground types. Surely it has a niche on some teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)