Bulbasaur (QC 3/3 WIP)

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Overview
########
  • Will write this up in a bit
  • Faces a lot of competition from Sprout / Oddish
  • Fastest Chlorophyll Sweeper in LC
  • It is also Bulkier than Bellsprout
  • Its bulk makes it somewhat difficult to switch in
  • Has Growth over oddish

Life Orb Sun Sweeper
########
name: Life Orb Sun Sweeper
move 1: Sludge Bomb
move 2: Solar Beam / Giga Drain
move 3: Sleep Powder
move 4: Hidden Power Fire
ability: Chlorophyll
item: Life Orb
evs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe
ivs: 0 HP
nature: Modest

Moves
========
  • Sludge Bomb is a powerful STAB with a decent chance to poison
  • Solar Beam is Bulbasaur's most powerful STAB
  • Giga Drain can be used cause it is more reliable and doesn't rely on Sun
  • Sleep Powder allows Bulbasaur to cripple something that it can not OHKO
  • HP Fire is powered up in the sun and has really good coverage with the other moves

Set Details
========
  • The given EV spread Maximizes Bulbasaur's Speed and Special attack accounting for IV changes from HP fire
  • Modest Nature allows Bulbasaur to be the same speed, but more powerful than timid Bellsprout
  • LO is used to give it more power

Usage Tips
========
  • Bulbasaur is Fairly simple to use, set up sun and find a place to switch it in
  • It has decent special bulk so neutral or resisted Special attacks are your best bet
  • Water types are the best moves to switch into, because in the sun bulbasaur 4x resists them
  • Once in the battle, use your strongest move if it is a OHKO or if you can survive one of their attacks
  • If something you can't take out switches in, cripple it with Sleep powder

Team Options
========
  • Vulpix is the Obvious choice for Bulba as it should be on dedicated sun teams
  • Pairs well with other Chloro sweepers as they can break walls allowing bulba to clean up late
  • Birds are a huge threat to Bulba, so things like Chinchou or Archen that can take on birds are good options (especially Fletchinder)
  • Stuff that can provide a slower u turn or volt switch like Mienfoo, Vullaby and Chinchou
Eviolite Growth
########
name: Eviolite Growth
move 1: Growth
move 2: Sleep Powder
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Sludge Bomb
ability: Chlorophyll
item: Eviolite
evs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========
  • Growth is a great set up move for Bulbasaur, allowing it to hit 32 SpA after a boost in the sun
  • Sleep powder gives you more opportunities to set up and can let you whittle down hard to kill opponents
  • Giga Drain allows Bulbasaur to keep the sweep going outside of the sun and allows bulba to regain health
  • HP fire hits opposing grass types and steel types

Set Details
========
  • EV spread maximizes Speed and Special attack when taking into account the IVs from HP Fire
  • Timid Nature hits 15 speed, letting Bulbasaur outspeed or speed tie all scarfed threats in the sun
  • The timid nature also gives it the speed edge over opposing sun sweepers such as Bellsprout
  • Eviolite give Bulbasaur more opportunities to switch in and set up Growth, and can allow the sweep to continue outside the sun

Usage Tips
========
  • This set is a lot easier to switch in due to Eviolite supported Bulk
  • Want to switch in on a neutral or resisted hit (in the sun)
  • Sleep powder something if you can't take two hits or use growth on set up bait or a forced switch
  • Once you have set up, attempt to punch as many hole in the opponents team as possible using sleep powder if you need and if the sleep clause hasn't been activated
  • This set is best used after an opponents fire type has been removed

Team Options
========
  • Vulpix is an obvious choice, but Heat Rock is nice, as it provides more set up / sweep time
  • This set has trouble with Fire Types such as Ponyta, Vulpix, and Growlithe so stuff that can take them on is appreciated (Archen, Diglet)
  • Stealth Rock shorten's a fire-types life span (see the two above)
  • Archen is also nice for taking on Fletchinder and other birds

Other Options
########
  • HP Ice is a decent option allowing you to take on Flying types like Doduo
  • HP Rock is also an option to hit Fire types, but leaves you walled by steel types
  • A defensive set with Leech Seed, double powder, and a STAB But is easily walled by Grass or Steel types and are better defensive grass types
  • A Scarf set can be used out of the sun, but it lacks power and is inferior to many other scarfers

Checks & Counters
########
  • Vulpix is a really good Counter to Bulbasaur really only being annoyed by Sleep Powder
  • Other Fire Types such as Larvesta, Ponyta, and Growlithe are also good responses once something has been put to sleep
  • Specially defensive Vullaby with overcoat is an amazing counter
  • Rest Talk Munchlax doesn't really care about bulbasaur unless it has multiple growth boosts
  • Koffing can take any hit from Bulba after sleep powder has been used and OHKO with Fire Blast
  • Scarf Snover can switch into growth or sleep powder and revenge kill while changing the weather
  • Fletchling can switch into any move barring sludge bomb and KO with priority acrobatics

Last edited:
[Both Sets]
  • Do you really need Timid now that Swirlix is gone? 28 Speed should be plenty fast enough under sun, and without sun, Bulbasaur is bad anyways. I would go with Modest for the extra power.
Life Orb Sweeper:

[Set Details]
  • The example of OHKO'ing Swirlix with Sludge Bomb should be removed.
[Usage Tips]
  • Mention Water-type attacks are the best to switch into as you 4x resist them with sun.
[Checks and Counters]
  • Mention Insomnia Murkrow as a revenge killer / switchin to Sleep Powder or Growth. Spams Sucker Punch without concern of being taken advantage of. If Bulbasaur uses Growth to try and setup, Bulbasaur will only be wasting its own sun turns.
  • Mention Choice Scarf Snover as a revenge killer and check. Switches into Sleep Powder / Growth / Grass-type move and blasts Bulbasaur with Blizzard, also removing sun.
  • Also note Fletchling as another check. Can switch into pretty much everything aside from Sludge Bomb and kills Bulba with priority Acrobatics.

Looks good otherwise. Make these changes and QC 1/3.

Last edited:

atomicllamas

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Implemented the above, thanks DTC, left timid on growth bulba cause it has growth and 15 speed isn't to bad if sun runs out, will change if people think it is necessary

I agree with leaving Timid, Bulbasaur is actually a relatively effective wallbreaker in turns without Sun and 15 Speed helps it hit things like Adamant Scraggy and whatever the fuck else. I like max Speed Timid, the power doesn't actually come too much in handy.

However, I would definitely give Leaf Storm some huge mentions on the Life Orb set. I have used Leaf Storm Bulbasaur in teams without Heat Rock Vulpix (I prefer Choice Scarf / Specs) and having Leaf Storm as an effective OHKO button was really useful.

atomicllamas

Updated this by removing all mentions of Murkrow, can we pls finish this analysis (QC me you butts)

atomicllamas

Yeah, I'm not gonna have time to write this up, and I haven't played LC since XY RU started, if someone else would like to take this, I believe this is semi up to date.

sorry :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)