CAP Steel Stall

Sadly, I am unable to test this team, since Kitsunoh's playtest is way over. I've been fiddling around with an all-steel team for a while, and it seems the natural strategy for an all-steel team is stall. Sadly, there are no steel spinblockers. I decided I'd make a team with Kitsunoh, the ghost/steel CAP from a while ago. This is my first real stall team, and it's largely untested, so expect it to be pretty rough. When you make suggestions, though, I would like it if you kept in mind the two themes of the team: all-steel and stall.

Bronzong @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/84 Atk/80 Def/92 SDef
Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion
- Payback
- Stealth Rock

My lead can usually set up a stealth rock or explode to start the game 5-5. Bronzong was partially chosen for Levitate, since over half my team is weak to ground. He can also use Payback to take out Rotom-A, which I have trouble with.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 240 HP/160 Def/32 Spd/76 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Wish
- Thunder Wave

Healing is important on a stall team, and since only one of my pokemon has a reliable recovery move, Wish support really helps me out. Jirachi also scouts for me after an Explosion, uses Thunder Wave to keep sweepers under control, and Thunder Wave/Iron Head hax to kill a couple of pokemon I have trouble with, the most important being Infernape.

Kitsunoh (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Limber
EVs: 16 HP/240 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- ShadowStrike
- Substitute
- Superpower
- Will-o-wisp

Kitsunoh is the only pokemon I've never even played with. Ideally, I'd bring it in on a Spinner and force them out. So... Starmie dies to ShadowStrike, Forretress is crippled by Will-o-Wisp. Don't know what I'd do against the rare Tentacruel or Donphan, though. Kitsunoh can also absorb Fighting attacks, which I had serious problems with before Kitsunoh appeared. And burning enemies is great when you're trying to whittle the enemy down slowly while reducing the damage you take. One last thing: ShadowStrike off of that great speed stat should let me kill slower ghost-types like Dusknoir and non-scarfed Rotom-A.

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/112 Atk/144 Def
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion
- Toxic Spikes

Emergency demolitionist, Dragonite counter (by way of Explosion), Toxic Spiker, and great Spinner. She often comes in on Scizors or after my Bronzong Explodes. Usually if the enemy has SR but no spikes and Forretress forces somebody out, I'll use Toxic Spikes instead of Rapid Spin, since most of my team resists SR and I don't want to waste a turn if they send in a spinblocker. I have thought about giving Forretress Spikes in addition to or replacing Toxic Spikes, allowing me to drop Skarmory.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Roar
- Earth Power

Heatran is pretty much a necessity on an all-steel team. Fire absorption is very important. This build allows me to counter enemy Heatrans pretty well, which is important because enemy Heatrans are especially good against steel-types. I was running a TormenTran with my non-stall All Steel team, but the Specially Defensive type can cause more switches, and force them with Roar.

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP/64 Atk/192 Def
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Skarmory is not a pokemon I have good experiences with, but I haven't found another reliable way to set up Spikes yet. Brave Bird gives me some neutral coverage that most of my other pokemon lack, Whirlwind helps to stack residual damage and eliminate boosters, and from what I've heard, Spikes are pretty much essential for a stall team. He's also immune to Earthquake - a big bonus. Before this team became stall, I had a SubPetaya Empoleon in this slot that performed quite nicely as a sweeper and could take fire attacks better than most my other guys.

So to recap:

My Shoddy Battle teams usually have multiple steels on them, and all of my favorite pokemon are steel-type. When there was a DPPt DS tournament in my town this summer, my team had three steels. I also won that tournament without losing a match. So yeah, I see the steel type as pretty much superior to all others. I know no type can stand on its own, though. This team is just an experiment in how well steel can do on its own. Thanks in advance for making it better.

A quick rate:

Why is Jirachi holding a Choice Scarf? Give it Leftovers.

5 Pokés out of 6 are weak to Fire type moves and Heatran/Infernape/Dragonite can OHKO every member of your team (except for your own Heatran which takes 77.9% - 92.5% from Earth Power) and only Kitsunoh can revenge kill them.

I know you want to use a mono-steel team but in case you want to actually win some matches I'd really consider replacing your Jirachi with a Vaporeon.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 188 Hp/252 Def/68 Sp.Def
Nature: Bold
- Wish
- Protect
- Surf
- Ice Beam

This Vaporeon is probably the best wish-passer of the standard metagame. With Wish-Protect it is able to recover itself and other members of the team and can stall the opponent with Toxic Spikes. It can check the aformentioned threats with Surf and Dragon/Grass types with Ice Beam.

Good Luck

Bloo

Banned deucer.
This was originally posted in the RMT forum. Since this is a CAP team, I moved it here instead.

No you can playtest this. All the other caps will be thrown in though. Once voodoom/s playtest is over knock yourself out.(I think it is) If anything once skarmory is down you will have difficulty dealing with collosoil. Vaporeon could really help you out in that department.

6-0ed by DDoak. (who may or may not exist?)

Owned by Trick Room Clohm.

Offensive Dnite sweeps with some Spikes.

Conclusion=use Dialga.

...On the other wing, you could use some sort of Flygon, Banded or Scarfed or something.

Perhaps put forry in the lead and get rid of Zong to make room?

Dialga is uber. I hope that was sarcastic. Oak isn't walled by much at all anymore. It used to be walled by latias but now..... Your going to need revenge of some kind, and something resistant to fire (like flygon) could work well.

Kitsunoh is good times, I love it. Your team is going to have a ton of problems so long as you adhere to the 6 Steel idea, though. You really need some other coverage here, especially in the full CAP metagame. Standard Support Fidgit is the way to go over Forretress so you can actually check and beat Revenankh. Try the following set:

Fidgit @ Leftovers
Ability: Vital Spirit
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
~ Toxic Spikes
~ Rapid Spin
~ Encore
~ Earth Power

Also, the next most glaring issue with your team is the lead. Bronzong doesn't really fare that well against opposing Pokemon. You really need something that can take on Stratagem on your team, and you just don't. You also cannot take on DDOak in any way. Not much I can suggest without completely redoing your team. Anyway, you should definitely consider the following Pyroak lead.

Pyroak @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
~ Stealth Rock
~ Sleep Powder
~ Fire Punch
~ Leaf Blade

This variant of LeadOak will help you switch into Fire-type attacks with ease, catch some of the common Fire-type leads off guard, and having utility later on for helping with your DDOak problem if they run Earthquake for Heatran.

Other than this, you should probably consider making a more diverse team next time.

This team, since it is a steel team, is obviously not going to be perfect. However, as a stall team, I feel that it is VERY weak to set-up sweepers, like DDNite and DDGyara. They both 6-0 your team assuming they get one set-up (which isn't that hard, really). Therefore, I propose that you make Skarmory your lead and use ScarfLuc to check all of the set-up sweepers that you may face.

ever thought of Empoleon to get Fires?
Yes, he did. Didn't you read the first post?

On another note, using a team in which all 6 Pokemon share a type is just way too many kinds of stupid for me to comfortably count. If half the Pokemon on your team are weak to any given type, you should seriously redesign it. I can understand that you really like Steel-types (Me, I'm rather fond of Dragons,) but building an entire team using nothing but that is begging to be pwned by a Pokemon that can hit Steel-types for super-effective damage. So, to sum it all up... Variety is good. Monotony is bad. Mono-type teams will be pwned very, very easily.

I would suggest a revenge killer of high speed to have a chance at stopping, lets say, a Swords Dance Infernape from Flare Blitzing half your team and CC the rest. (Scarf Lucario comes to mind)

I know this goes against your all-Steel set-up, but a Hippowdon/Tyranitar's Sand Stream will be very helpful to your team. Not to mention, you could shift the style from Steel to sandstorm

How about physical Empoleon?
It can set up late game with Swords Dance, kill off threats like Infernape with Aqua Jet (assuming no Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave which are very rare), and generally help this team out a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)