ORAS UU cold war

LilOu

PO poopyhead
cold war

team concept_
Although I really enjoy playing Hyper Offense, I'm not a complete fan of it and, while I do like the safety and less matchup dependence of defensive teams, I despise their slow pace. This team infuses hard hitting wallbreakers, bulky pivots, defensive stallbreakers, and offensive setup sweepers that will allow me to have a way to break through (pretty much) every possible matchup and not clicking x right off the bat when I see some combination of mons. This is where cold war is born, a representation of me and the way I play in the best possible way.

The main purpose of the team is to aid a Dragon Dance Salamence sweep. I attempt to fulfill this purpose through utilizing mixed Growth Mega Abomasnow – a set never seen before – as the main wallbreaker, as it is designed to weaken Steel-types and, consequently, to provide scenarios for a possible setup from Salamence. Lucario was then added not only to absorb Rock-type moves the main core struggled dealing against, but also to punch through walls with its strong Fighting stab. Afterward, Krookodile was added as the obligatory Stealth Rock setter while giving the team a neat check to Mega Aerodactyl and Crobat without having to ruin its offensive presence.

From there, the team looked like it couldn't take on strong Fighting-type attacks, as Salamence had to stay healthy for late-game. Therefore, Crobat was added to fix that problem and provide hazard control. Although the team was almost finished, there were still key Pokemon the team might struggle dealing against: Suicune and bulky Water-types in general were hard to deal with, as they pressure Abomasnow a lot especially there are rocks on my side. A well played Cobalion was also a threat, as Crobat is a meh check and no other Pokemon on my team liked to face it. Fire spam seemed annoying as well, especially early-game when Salamence is not ready for a sweep. Taking all these things into account, Jellicent, a Pokemon uncommonly seen in UU, came to mind. It was the perfect addition for the team, coming for free into all the bulky waters that infest the tier and walling a plethora of threats with its godlike typing while also being a deadly stall breaker through Will-O-Wisp and Taunt.

in depth_

Abomasnow @

Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 8 HP / 68 Atk / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Rash Nature
- Ice Shard
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Growth

To use this Mega Abomasnow is pretty simple: bring it early game on something that doesn't OHKO it and is most likely to switch out and just fire off Blizzards. It doesn't matter what mon your opponent has, just Blizzard. Plenty of Steel-types will be coming your way, which wall the standard SD set, but most of them aren't able to take 2 Blizzards + Hail damage, letting Mega Aboma be an amazing support for a DD Mence sweep. Nevertheless, its importance does not only reside on powerful wallbreaking, but as a key component of the defensive backbone. Mega Aboma is able to check, if not counter, major threats in this metagame, such as Mamoswine, Krookodile, Suicune, Heliolisk, Mega Swampert, Mega Sharpedo and Dragons in general, which would otherwise be huge nuisances for the team. All these mons, if played around correctly, give Aboma free turns to either recover a little bit of health or to nuke something. Moreover, once it has done its work, it can be sacked late game to Fire or Fighting mons, such as Entei or Heracross, letting Salamence come in for free and set DD, finishing off the game.

What really makes this set interesting, however, is Growth. Growth allows Aboma to transform from powerful nuke to god damn freaking powerful nuke. This is specially good vs. defensive teams, as it can set up for free on a switch and then walls that were supposed to take Blizzards, such as Umbreon, won't anymore (beware of Foul Play, though). It also works pretty cool to setup alongside opposing Suicune when they burned Aboma early game and think they can use it as setup fodder. Aside from this, it also boosts its physical attack stat, being a live saver sometimes when facing offensive teams, as +1 Ice Shard can clean weakened teams.

• Doublade likes to come a lot into Aboma. Just Blizzard it on the switch, doing 43% average. This + hail damage leaves it at half HP. Just switch out after that to Jelli and Willo whatever wants to come in.

• Once Aboma has been identified as a special variant, Florges will like to come in. Just Blizzard too LOL, it does 40% average and Florges' Synthesis will be pitiful because of Hail. If it is WishProtect, just Growth on the Protect and either Giga Drain or Blizzard, both will 2HKO at +1 with hail damage.
etc
  • Just Blizzard them. You just want to nuke them and get possible hail damage so that they slowly go down. Then switch out to Jelli the counter or whatever the situation requires.

Salamence @

Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail

DD Salamence is a huge threat in the current metagame. It sports an amazing typing that gives it plenty of resistances to find setup opportunities and win the game once Steel-types such as Forretress and Doublade have been weakened enough by Mega Abomasnow (which is amazingly easy to do). One way I like to use it also, is sending it mid game to force Fairy-types such as Whimsicott out and hit them with Iron Tail on the switch so that they are no longer a reliable answer to it later, this also works with steels, hitting them with Earthquake, but it's probably not recommendable as you will have to switchout immediately after, giving them free turns. Be sure to keep this healthy for late game, though.
  • Iron Tail as much as you can if there are still Fairies running around.

Krookodile @

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock

Ahh, good CB Krook. I decided to go with Choice Band because of the incredible power it offers even vs. mons that were supposed to be checks. It does not only hit incredible hard with STABs backed up by a Choice Band, but also is a key component on the defensive spectrum of the team, being able to check Mega Aerodactyl and forcing mind games that my opponent is more likely to lose, as Pursuit has a 50% chance to OHKO after rocks, which is enough for me because Mega Aero is not a problem once it's low in health. Krook is also my best way to deal with fat Psychic-types such as Cresselia and Reuniclus, which otherwise would be pretty annoying for this team to face, as they can sponge every move I have to throw at them. Also I realized when I finished the team that I had no rocks, so I just gave this rocks and I haven't had a single problem with it until now. You just need to be cautious about when you will set up rocks, as you don't want to give your opponent free opportunities to destroy the team.

• Pursuit is probably your best play most of the time as it puts it into Bullet Punch/Ice Shard range if they stay and kills after rocks if it switches.

• Pretty much the same as Aero.

Lucario @

Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch

Lucario is an incredible mon in the meta right now. Its incredible typing and ability makes up for the frail defenses it has, making your opponent think twice before clicking Knock Off or a Dragon-type move, as it will most probably give Luke a shot at sweeping. Lucario works as a revenge killer, wallbreaker and sweeper for the team. Depending on team matchup, it works either on midgame by playing it recklessly and softening up physical walls or can be used more conservatively and save it for lategame, where, given a free turn after something like opposing Hydreigon has dropped a Draco, it can set up a SD and proceed to sweep. One thing that I really, really like of this set is the use of Bullet Punch. It nullifies Mega Aerodactyl as a check (lol at Christo's Aerolyn, which just gets completely destroyed by this), while OHKOing Bold Florges at +2. Metagame trends also are making people use Cobalion as Luke check, which is something I like to take advantage of, as after Luke has died to it, Mence has a free setup.
Just nuke everything.

Crobat @

Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 120 HP / 176 Atk / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost

At this point, the team was pretty weak to Stealth Rock and Fighting-type moves, so Crobat was a no-brainer. With its high speed and amazing support movepool, it is a great mon in general, capable of fulfilling a number of roles. In this case, I wanted it to be able to remove hazards reliably while still maintaining offensive presence and being able to shut down setup sweepers that my team pee'd against, such as CM Florges, so I gave it Taunt over U-turn, which also is incredibly useful in a plethora of scenarios, not only preventing defensive mons from recovering, but also preventing offensive mons like opposing DD Mence to set up in a pinch.

• Just Taunt it. Don't let it CM.

• This one is hard. If it's Mixed, then probably switch to Jelli is your best choice (needs to be healthy). However, if you can't go to Jelli for whatever reason, Roost to take the Draco and then start some mindgames between BB/Roost and Taunt on their own Roost. Be careful of Earthquake on your Roost, though. Freaking Mence.

TheRealMightyThirsty (M) @

Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Hex

IT'S THIRSTY
IT'S MIGHTY
IT IS FUCKING THIRSTY
SO IT'S GONNA FUCKING DRINK

shouts to Ice Tea for reminding me of this
| 82 | Jellicent | 1.23933% ????????????? taken from 1730s stats for October
Care telling me what this means? Jellicent is simply incredible in the current metagame, seeing how bulky waters such as Suicune and Swampert are everywhere and how mons such as Cobalion, Lucario, Forretress and CM Florges have risen in usage a lot. Jellicent just rounds up the team perfectly, alleviating Crobat and Krookodile from their duties as Fighting check and Mega Aero + fat Psychic-types check respectively. It also wins vs. stall alone with the combination of WoW and Taunt, outspeeding almost anything you find on stall teams up to 8 speed Florges. A faster spread could be used to outrun Suicune, but it needs Timid and the loss of bulk is something I'm not fan of, at least not for this team.

• Since it will be outspeeding, Willo and force to it to rest, then Taunt and switch to something that would appreciate it being asleep. Don't be silly and let it outstall you.

• WILLO TAUNT WILLO TAUNT WILLO TAUNT FUCK STALL

threat list_

• Since this team is pre Zapdos era, I don't really have anything to deal with LO 3 atks. I'll just try to not give it free turns and keep Krook healthy so that it doesn't die to HP Grass. Watch replays section to see how I deal with it.

• NP Azelf just rushes through oml, I don't even know how I deal with this. Maybe BB with bat and bring into priority range sigh.

• I know this is sad, but defensive Rotom-H is a pain to deal with.

• Draco Meteorers in general are annoying, since all I can do is take advantage of them with Luke or sack something to get damage on them so that they're easier to deal with.

achievements_

I started with the alt at 0-1, so this actually is a 30-0 record

Also, this team is the perfect counter for Aerolyn. Everytime you gotta battle Christo, just bring it and ez win.

shoutouts_
I'd list a lot of people that are close friends to me, but I don't want to turn this into a wall of tags.

NananaBatman - I love you but don't tell mush, he'll get jealous. PO (BAN ME PLEASE) 5ever.
Christo The Gr8 - Thanks a lot for the test battles in which you get mad because I'm too good LOL. Also thanks for helping with the RMT.
teal6 - Also thanks for the test battles. It's always cool to battle with people that know what they're doing and help you to get better.
Euphonos - Your sportsmanship and attitude actually inspire me (and your gimmicks oml)
Hogg - Thanks for helping me with the doubts I had regarding this, you're cool
R0ady - You're the w0rst.
IronBullet - I'm aligning left, I swear.
Sacri' - It's always fun to build with you, our teams are always heat :]

Thank you all guys for helping me finish this RMT and encouraging me once in a while so I don't push this off til eternity. I know that there are a LOT of people I'm missing here, and that's not because I didn't think of you, but because as I said, I don't want to tag the whole world. However, I'd like to mention the UU room, Pokemon Offline, SusieLou's lounge and the other Skype groups we have, you all are cool people and mons wouldn't be the same without you :toast:

replays_

Overall, I love this team; I hope you do to. Catch this importable.

Code:
Krookodile @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 8 HP / 68 Atk / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Rash Nature
- Growth
- Ice Shard
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 120 HP / 176 Atk / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Hex

Last edited:

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey, LilOu! This is one of the most solid teams I've seen. I'm pretty sure my gimmicks inspired you to build such a good team like this!

Anyway, I have some minor suggestions that can help fine-tune this team.
  • As you might notice, Mega Abomasnow's base Special Attack is not divisible by 5 (most Pokemon's base stats are divisible by 5 and 216 EVs grant you the highest jump point, and that wouldn't be too optimal); therefore, you can lower Mega Abomasnow's Special Attack EV's to 240. That is a very minor reduction to the overall damage output of Mega Abomasnow's STAB Blizzards and Giga Drains; as such, you can transfer the remaining 12 EV's to Speed to outrun other Mega Abomasnow variants.
  • If you wish to outrun Adamant Mega Beedrill through Crobat, you should run 236 Speed EV's in its Jolly nature to do so. You can do either of the following EV spreads to fulfill your needs: 168 HP / 104 Atk / 236 Spe or 104 HP / 168 Atk / 236 Spe. These EV's are designed to reach Black Sludge numbers for Crobat while maintaining its offensive presence.
Along with the threats you've noted, I find Entei giving a very annoying presence to your team. Though I can sense that your team can manage to handle it just fine, the possible Sacred Fire burn chance would give Jellicent a hard time to Recover. Other than that, I liked this team so much. Good luck reaching to new heights with this team!

Last edited:

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Also, this team is the perfect counter for Aerolyn. Everytime you gotta battle Christo, just bring it and ez win.
[[[[[[[[[[[:

Overall really solid team, I love your use of Jellicent and may just steal this because of that alone.

The only changes I would ask you to consider is first, to change Krookodile from CB to Dread Plate. Judging by your description it seems you rely more on Krook's Dark STAB and so Dread Plate still gives those moves a considerable boost. I've just personally never been a fan of Choiced Rocks and by the looks of your team, getting up Rocks as reliably as possible should be a priority to clutch KOes with your sweepers (particularly Luke and Mence).
I get the appeal of Band but against teams with reliable hazard removal the ability to not be locked into Rocks if you have to set them back up is much appreciated.

The other change I wanted to recommend is making Lucario Adamant. You can't touch Chandelure anyway, you OHKO Jolly Swine with +2 BP, you have a Jellicent so opposing Lucario shouldn't be an issue (you also have Bat for Heracross), and Modest/Mild Hydreigon and Adamant Krook aren't common. Considering 2 of your 3 attacking moves are priority moves then unless I've missed something why Jolly?

Hope I helped!

LilOu

PO poopyhead
[[[[[[[[[[[:

Overall really solid team, I love your use of Jellicent and may just steal this because of that alone.

The only changes I would ask you to consider is first, to change Krookodile from CB to Dread Plate. Judging by your description it seems you rely more on Krook's Dark STAB and so Dread Plate still gives those moves a considerable boost. I've just personally never been a fan of Choiced Rocks and by the looks of your team, getting up Rocks as reliably as possible should be a priority to clutch KOes with your sweepers (particularly Luke and Mence).
I get the appeal of Band but against teams with reliable hazard removal the ability to not be locked into Rocks if you have to set them back up is much appreciated.

The other change I wanted to recommend is making Lucario Adamant. You can't touch Chandelure anyway, you OHKO Jolly Swine with +2 BP, you have a Jellicent so opposing Lucario shouldn't be an issue (you also have Bat for Heracross), and Modest/Mild Hydreigon and Adamant Krook aren't common. Considering 2 of your 3 attacking moves are priority moves then unless I've missed something why Jolly?

Hope I helped!
I've been also considering to take out the CB from Krook, as it often prevents me to setup Rocks, but the power it provides to the team has been clutch in so much scenarios that I've always ended up ditching that idea. Sometimes I even prefer to hit something hard rather than to set rocks up, but I still manage to find moments like when there's an incoming Tang/Chesnaught to set them up without fear.

Regarding the nature on Lucario, I've been told that before and I'm definitely changing it to Adamant as the power increase is pretty noticeable vs. things like Florges, as it lets Luke have a much better chance at OHKOing it at +2 and the speed is not really needed considering that Mamoswines are running Adamant themselves more often than before.

Thanks for the rate :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)