Volkraken

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
-Changed Modest to preferred nature on All-Out-Attacker (already was preferred on Scarf)
-Added more explanation regarding natures in set details
-Changed slash order for last slot on Scarf

Heya, a few quick comments. For team options under both sets, mention some examples of spinners/defoggers that can synergize well with it, such as Colossoil, Tomohawk, Zapdos, Skarmory, etc who cover some or all of Volkraken's weaknesses, and in turn have some of their weaknesses alleviated by Volkraken's unique Water/Fire typing. Under Choice Scarf's Usage tips, perhaps mention some of the faster Pokemon Cawmodore can revenge kill, such as Cawmodore, Syclant, and Stratagem, among others. And finally, although this is sort of a GP thing, the set names are required to match in both spots.

Looks good, great work on this!

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Under Choice Scarf's Usage tips, perhaps mention some of the faster Pokemon Cawmodore can revenge kill, such as Cawmodore, Syclant, and Stratagem, among others.
This line is already in Set Details: "Choice Scarf allows Volkraken to outspeed a lot. With a Modest nature, it still outspeeds even the likes of Mega Manectric and Mega Beedrill. With a Timid nature it can outspeed any Aurumoth even after it has a single dance up, as well as Choice Scarf Landorus-T or Mega Aerodactyl."

Seems like it would be partially redundant to mention the even slower mons that you listed in a blurb for usage tips...

Almost all defoggers share typing synergy with Volkraken since most defoggers are flying and thus immune to ground. However, I'll add in Colossoil as a good spin partner since he's particularly relevant.

As far as set names go, if they have to change then I'll wait until QC says to change... In the example for the format, the first Smeargle set is shown having two different names after all:
Hazard Lead
########
name: Entry Hazards Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Sticky Web / Spikes
move 3: Spore
move 4: Taunt / Memento / Endeavor
ability: Own Tempo
item: Focus Sash
evs: 80 HP / 96 Def / 80 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Of course, I'm not sure if QC follows the above example anymore, and you probably know better than I do I'll admit. However, I really do like my fun names :c

Last edited:
When I was GP checked, the GP guys told me the names had to match, but I think you should be able to keep the interesting names unless someone objects.

Flash Cannon is a viable alternative to Power Gem now, mainly due to how common Mega Altaria is (kraken is essentially setup bait otherwise. memento, but...). Choice Scarf Volkraken does ~70% to a +1 Mega Alt; enough to KO assuming it took some damage setting up, and the All-out attacker can one-shot it (or do upwards of 90% with Life Orb) if Mega Alt tries to set up on it.

It does miss out on the Mollux and Zard-Y coverage, but it's worth noting that Analytic Fire Blast still does a lot to these two (All-out-attacker 2HKOes both) due to Dry Skin and Drought respectively. Worth a slash at the very least.

Just noticed, U-turn should definitely be slashed on the count kraken set as well. It's super legit for pivoting on special walls and bringing in a strong physical attacker or a trapper to dispose of them, which allows this set (the best set imo) to wreck later in the game with its checks removed. On that note, some examples of strong physical attackers and trappers (namely Gothitelle but also pursuit trappers) would fit well in team options for both sets, as they're critical to kraken's success.

Very good work on this, QC 2/3

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
U-turn slashed and team options expanded a bit. Thanks for the QC, I'll try to write this up when I can!

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've given this the once-over, and here's what I had in mind.

- The overview needs to have much more information. State what Volk threatens, as well as what threatens it back, whether it's certain mons or playstyles. Also tell us what kind of teams it's most commonly found on (offensive in this case).
- Move the 4 EVs from HP to SpD. You want Volk to switch into SR 5 times instead of 4!
- For both sets, state when in the match Volk should be sent out. Late-game for Scarf, early- to mid-game for Specs.
- Offensive synergy needs to be emphasized as much as defensive synergy is. State mons that appreciate Volk's ability to break down threats such as Cawmodore and Ferrothorn. Also give mons that can take out the mons that threaten Volk offensively.
- In that vein, add offensive checks to Volk in C&C. Though Ground- and Electric-types often dislike switching into an Analytic-boosted attack, many can still beat Volk one-on-one.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Most of Snobalt's suggestions look sound, except for the thing about the HP EVs. Unless I'm mistaken, 4 EVs in HP wouldn't cause Volkraken to only be able to switch into Stealth Rock 4 times as 342, the HP number Volkraken hits with 4 HP EVs, is not divisible by 4. Physically Bulky partners just seems kind of vague to me. Should I run Mega Scizor? How about Tomohawk? You get what I mean, suggest stuff (maybe something that can help w/ Talonflame on the Scarf set and Lando on the Specs set). Mention how Volkraken is a hit n run attacker, and should be played conservatively if Stealth Rock is up.

For Checks and Counters, there absolutely needs to be mentions of Ground and Electric types, like Snobalt suggested. Its not going to be switching into their STABs, and stuff like Landorus and Mega Manectric can reliable revenge kill non Choice Scarf Set. Stratagem needs a mention as it can't switch in at all and Sash sets can reliably beat both sets. Talonflame should also be mentioned as while it can't switch in, CB Brave Bird can OHKO both sets with a single round of Stealth Rock damage.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
I've given this the once-over, and here's what I had in mind.

- The overview needs to have much more information. State what Volk threatens, as well as what threatens it back, whether it's certain mons or playstyles. Also tell us what kind of teams it's most commonly found on (offensive in this case).
- Move the 4 EVs from HP to SpD. You want Volk to switch into SR 5 times instead of 4!
- For both sets, state when in the match Volk should be sent out. Late-game for Scarf, early- to mid-game for Specs.
- Offensive synergy needs to be emphasized as much as defensive synergy is. State mons that appreciate Volk's ability to break down threats such as Cawmodore and Ferrothorn. Also give mons that can take out the mons that threaten Volk offensively.
- In that vein, add offensive checks to Volk in C&C. Though Ground- and Electric-types often dislike switching into an Analytic-boosted attack, many can still beat Volk one-on-one.
CB already debunked your HP issue.

You point about when Volkraken is supposed to come out for each set seems a little inaccurate. Saying that Scarf is late-game only is just false, as it's even a good lead. Scarf Kraken is supposed to come in and out throughout the match, unless you're super paranoid about pursuit or if you're a noob and don't have hazard support.

For Checks and Counters, there absolutely needs to be mentions of Ground and Electric types, like Snobalt suggested. Its not going to be switching into their STABs, and stuff like Landorus and Mega Manectric can reliable revenge kill non Choice Scarf Set. Stratagem needs a mention as it can't switch in at all and Sash sets can reliably beat both sets. Talonflame should also be mentioned as while it can't switch in, CB Brave Bird can OHKO both sets with a single round of Stealth Rock damage.
Talonflame seems like a pretty iffy check if it relies of SR for the KO. Strategem however seems very fair.

In terms of Ground types, the only relevant one is AV Colossoil (and here the real takeaway is AV itself, not the ground type). In terms of Electric types, there's Rotom-W (covered in Bulky Waters), and I guess maybe some Zapdos and Plasmanta.

Thanks for the feedback guys. However, I'm not really sure what to do about since the QCs have already been added... I'll probably implement the necessary fixes after it's in paragraph form.

Empress

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
CB already debunked your HP issue.

You point about when Volkraken is supposed to come out for each set seems a little inaccurate. Saying that Scarf is late-game only is just false, as it's even a good lead. Scarf Kraken is supposed to come in and out throughout the match, unless you're super paranoid about pursuit or if you're a noob and don't have hazard support.

Talonflame seems like a pretty iffy check if it relies of SR for the KO. Strategem however seems very fair.

In terms of Ground types, the only relevant one is AV Colossoil (and here the real takeaway is AV itself, not the ground type). In terms of Electric types, there's Rotom-W (covered in Bulky Waters), and I guess maybe some Zapdos and Plasmanta.

Thanks for the feedback guys. However, I'm not really sure what to do about since the QCs have already been added... I'll probably implement the necessary fixes after it's in paragraph form.
NP man! Also I shoulda been clearer- I meant that Volk CAN clean late game with a Scarf; i didn't mean it should only come in then.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have been extensively using Volkraken recently, and with that experience, the only thing I would really have to say here is that on the Specs set I would mention that running both Hydro Pump and Scald together on the same set is actually a very viable option, and possibly make it a slash on the last slot (if you can do that without making the slashes too ridiculous). None of the moves in the last slot are all that key to the set, while the ability to pack both a power and a reliable option is very nice. Personally, this is actually my favorite set up for that set, though I can see the value of the other options as well.

Other than that little thing though, I think this looks good. Lets go QC Approved 3/3.

Empress

Add
Remove
Comment

[OVERVIEW]

Volkraken swoops out of its underwater abyss and threatens the metagame with its fearsome Special Attack and its ability to punish switch-ins with Analytic. Its rare typing gives it powerful STAB moves that complement its Special Attacking bias Attack while simultaneously giving Volkraken good coverage. Collectively, these traits allow Volkraken to perform multiple offensive roles and allow it to either be a revenge killer or a wall(remove space)breaker.

However, one of the more dubious aspects about Volkraken is its odd Speed tier that leaves it somewhere between being an all-out sweeper and an Analytic abuser. As a result, Volkraken's item choice is a big factor in what role it can perform, often leading it into the role of a choiced Choice attacker. Unfortunately, being weak to Stealth Rock and susceptible to all other entry hazards somewhat reduces its own switch-in opportunities. Overall, Volkraken is a Pokemon that tries to control the switch game on the opponent's opposing side of the field, but simultaneously has some trouble gaining switches itself. That said, Volkraken still has the potential to dish out massive attacks damage and maybe even reveal a few surprises along the way, while and its access to sacrificial moves such as Memento helps to differentiate it from other powerful attackers.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf, I Choose You! (unless it's a notorious set, cool it with the funny names)
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Surf / Hydro Pump
move 3: Power Gem / Flash Cannon
move 4: U-turn / Memento / Destiny Bond
ability: Analytic / Infiltrator
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Modest / Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fire Blast is a fairly reliable Fire STAB move with more firepower (ba-dum-tss) than its alternatives. Surf or Hydro Pump rounds out Volkraken's STAB coverage. Scald is an alternative, but might miss KOs against Mega Charizard Y, Landorus-T, or and specially defensive Gliscor. Power Gem hits Flying-types and Mollux and can hit Mega Charizard Mega Y especially hard. Flash Cannon is pretty much only for Mega Altaria, (RC) should Volkraken's team need to hit it.

Destiny Bond can be used against some slower threats for a surprise kill KO; something this is particularly useful when Volkraken is blazingly fast thanks to scarf Choice Scarf. Memento can be used as a sacrificial move to help Volkraken's next teammate set up. U-turn allows Volkraken to keep momentum and lets it have more flexibility in the switch wars that it aims to control.

Set Details
========

Simply put, Choice Scarf allows Volkraken to outspeed a lot several Pokemon and its choice of nature comes down to a few threats. With a Modest nature, Volkraken still outspeeds even the likes of Mega Manectric and Mega Beedrill. With a Timid nature, (AC) it can outspeed any Aurumoth even after it has a single dance Speed boost up, as well as Mega Aerodactyl and (moved it here b/c I don't want it to sound like Mega Aero holds Scarf) Choice Scarf Landorus-T or Mega Aerodactyl. However, regardless of the choice of nature, the EVs are standard for a Special special sweeper.

The choice of ability is fairly subjective, though Volkraken normally appreciates Analytic to be able to punish the opponent foe for switching in and out. However, Infiltrator has the ability to bypass Substitute, Light Screen, and Reflect and screens, which can land a surprise blow hit against foes such as Substitute Tomohawk.

Usage Tips
========

For the most part, Choice Scarf Volkraken plays like a standard hit-(AH)and-(AH)run choice scarf revenge killer. However, what Volkraken lacks in coverage, (AC) it makes up for with a few niche tricks. While predicting obvious switches is always helpful, Analytic Volkraken shouldn't be be too afraid to use Hydro Pump or Fire Blast most of the time. That said, foes with immunity abilities that grant immunity to Fire or Water are usually a sign that trouble is on the way, and so risk-reward becomes important. However, Volkraken with U-turn can opt to play it safe and avoid these risky situations.

For those not opting for U-turn, at the start of the match, (AC) it is strongly advised to begin thinking about which threat is best for Volkraken to use Memento or Destiny Bond against (if any at all). These moves are highly conditional but can provide fantastic team support if used properly. That said, most of the time Volkraken would rather provide assistance by using its attacking options and staying alive.

Team Options
========

Physically bulky partners, especially those that can take ground, rock, and electric hits Ground-, Rock-, and Electric-type attacks, are great partners to Volkraken in terms of traditional type synergy. Cawmodore works surprisingly well, but both it and Volkraken are wrecked by Kyurem-B's Fusion Bolt due to Teravolt. However, Cawmodore gets a special mention for Memento sets. There's There are few things that would make it worth it for a Volkraken to sacrifice itself, but providing support to one of the most fearsome Belly Drummers sweepers in the metagame is arguably one of the more worthy causes available.

Spinners and defoggers Defoggers are helpful, (AC) if not mandatory, as Volkraken greatly appreciates hazard removal, especially with all of the switches involved on a choice Choice set. Colossoil in particular can be a great partner, as it is immune to the Electric-type attacks that Volkraken fears.

Trappers like such as Gothitelle or physical attackers like such as Colossoil can help rid the Special special walls that plague Volkraken. Generally, Volkraken should always be played with a teammate or two that can take out Chansey.

[SET]
name: Count Kraken and the Thirst for Power Special Wallbreaker (smfh...)
move 2: Hydro Pump / Scald
move 3: Power Gem
move 4: Memento / Destiny Bond / U-turn
item: Choice Specs / Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fire Blast is a Volkraken's reliable Fire-type STAB move with more firepower than its alternatives, and the extra power over Flamethrower really adds up when stacked with its item and a potential Analytic boost. Hydro Pump is Volkraken's most powerful Water-type STAB move. Scald is an option as well, but might miss KOs against Mega Charizard Y or Assault Vest Landorus-T. Hydro Pump and Scald can actually be used on the same set if you forego Volkraken's last moveslot, as together they provide both power and utility. Surf, however, is not recommended on this set due to the lack of things Pokemon that it can KO that Scald cannot. Power Gem hits Flying-types and Mollux and can hit Mega Charizard Mega Y especially hard.

Memento can be used as a sacrificial move to help Volkraken's next teammate set up. Destiny Bond can be used against some slower threats for a surprise kill KO. U-turn allows Volkraken to keep momentum and lets it have more flexibility in the switch wars that it aims to control. (Kinda surprised Flash Cannon isn't here; can you tell me why it's not recommended?)

Set Details
========

Choice Specs just makes Volkraken stupidly powerful, and while Life orb Orb gives it power and flexibility at the cost of health. Both items play quite differently in terms of switching, but in general both can be used to let Volkraken muscle through similar threats. A modest Modest nature is usually preferred for the extra power, though Timid lets Volkraken outspeed a few rare threats such as Jolly Excadrill. Even with a Life Orb and U-turn, Volkraken should still use an Attack lowering nature due to its pitiful base 45 (optional change) Attack. The EVs are standard for a Special special attacker.

The choice of ability can be a toss-up at times, though Volkraken normally appreciates Analytic to be able to punish the opponent foe for switching in and out, something that is especially handy when the boost stacks with your its item's boost. However, Infiltrator has the ability to bypass Substitute, Light Screen, and Reflect and screens, which can land a surprise blow hit against foes such as Substitute Tomohawk.

Usage Tips
========

This set plays as a typical wall(remove space)breaker for the most part. If using Analytic, Volkraken's Fire Blast and Hydro Pump will hit most things stupidly foes extremely hard on the switch, so they are the safest moves for prediction's sake. However, Volkraken must beware of potential Pokemon that can absorb its STABs STAB moves if choiced holding Choice Specs; having to switch out because you mispredicted eats up valuable momentum. In general, Life Orb Volkraken doesn't fear foes with Flash Fire foes as much, as and in the event of a misprediction it can just hit them hard with a Water-type move next turn.

At the start of the match, start thinking about which threat is best for Volkraken to use Memento or Destiny Bond against, if it is using either of those moves. Sacrificing Volkraken is a big decision, (RC) and should generally been done after Volkraken has expended much of its wall(remove space)breaking potential.

Team Options
========

Spinners and defoggers Defoggers are helpful, (AC) if not mandatory, as Volkraken greatly appreciates hazard removal, especially with all of the switches involved on a choice Choice set. Colossoil in particular can be a great partner, as it is immune to the Electric-type attacks that Volkraken fears. Due to its sometimes lackluster speed Speed, Volkraken also appreciates Sticky Web support from Necturna, but this hinders Analytic boosts except in instances of switching.

In terms of traditional typing type synergy, physically bulky partners that can take ground, rock, and electric hits, Ground-, Rock-, and Electric-type attacks are great partners to Volkraken. Cawmodore fills this niche surprisingly well, but both it and Volkraken can be defeated by Kyurem-B's Fusion Bolt due to Teravolt. However, Cawmodore gets a special mention for Memento sets. There's There are few things situations that would make it worth it for a Volkraken to sacrifice itself, but providing support to one of the most fearsome Belly Drummers sweepers in the metagame is arguably one of the more worthy causes available.

Trappers like such as Gothitelle or physical attackers like such as Colossoil can help rid the Special special walls that plague Volkraken. Generally, Volkraken should always be played with a teammate or two that can take out Chansey.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Flamethrower has better accuracy than Fire Blast, but the loss in power is noticeable. Assault Vest is handy for letting Volkraken take some special attacks, most notably Thunderbolts Thunderbolt ("With Assault Vest, anything is better."). In general, however, Volkraken appreciates extra Speed or power more. Hidden Power Grass is an option to hit the rare Water(space)/(space)Ground types such as Quagsire, whereas Hidden Power Ground allows Volkraken to hit Cyclohm and Mollux. Substitute can be used to avoid status, most notably paralysis. Finally, Red Card can be useful if a faster foe hits Volkraken; the foe will be forced to switch out, letting Volkraken get in land an Analytic boost against a new target. Though this is not reliable, it does allow for another opportunity for Volkraken to abuse Analytic.

Checks & and Counters
===================

**Bulky Waters Water-types**: With resistances to Volkraken's STABs STAB moves, bulky Water-types can usually come in safely and chip away with their Water STAB attacks. Arghonaut in particular likes to laugh at counters Volkraken, and while Krilowatt threatens Volkraken back with its Electric-type STAB moves. Though they are rarer, Kingdra absolutely tanks Volkraken's STAB(space) attacks and Gastrodon can potentially net a Storm Drain boost from Volkraken's Water-type moves.

**Chansey**: Taking neutral damage from all of Volkraken's hits moves and shrugging the blows off, Chansey can come in and Toxic stall Volkraken or whittle away its HP with Seismic Toss. Switching in on a Choice Specs + Analytic set cannot be done unless healthy, however. Once in, hits become softer thankfully due to Chansey's naturally lower Speed.

**Dragon-types**: Most Dragon-types will resist both of Volkraken's STABs. Latias can take multiple hits and recover the damage. Garchomp can go for the KO with Earthquake and doesn't have to worry about much other than a Scald burn. Cylclohm has Electric-type STAB attacks, but has to worry about taking multiple hits due to its weaker Special Defense.

**Bulky Electric-types**: Most of the bulkier Electric-(AH)types have the potential to tank a lot of Volkraken's moves, but they still don't really want to switch in. Rotom-W is a stand out for resisting both of Volkraken's STAB(space)moves, and while Plasmanta is notable for being immune to Volkraken's Water-type moves (but it doesn't want to take a Fire hit Blast at all).

**Powerful Neutral Priority**: Boosted or Banded Choice Band priority moves can be a thorn in Volkraken's side, potentially allowing it to be KO'ed before it can move. However, on the flip side, if Volkraken survives a priority move, (AC) then its Analytic will activate.

**Mollux**: Thanks to Dry Skin, Mollux can take hits well and can potentially regain HP if brought in on a Water-type move. It fears HP Ground, which is thankfully rare, and Power Gem, and thus so it should only be switching in once Volkraken is known to be choiced Choice-locked into a different move.

**Fast Rock-types Types**: Aerodactyl and Stratagem can generally take out non-Choice Scarf scarfed Volkraken, though they can't switch in directly. Focus Sash Stratagem can mess up even Scarfed Choice Scarf variants of Volkraken, however.

**Paralysis**: Being paralyzed hinders Volkraken's sweeping ability, but it also can make Analytic even deadlier.

Also, don't just state that Fire Blast and Hydro Pump are Volkraken's STAB moves. Be specific about what they hit.
GP 1/2

Last edited:
I agree with the point about Flash Cannon; I intended for it to be added to both sets when I gave the second QC check, as it's certainly viable in both cases and no objections were made.

I'm neutral on the standard vs. non-standard names for sets. As long as the set's role is still being accurately described, I feel that non-standard names are okay.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
GP implemented with a few exceptions.

Under Set details on the Scarf Set, snobalt indicated to change "a lot" to "several Pokemon" but because choice scarf allows Volkraken to outspeed much, much more than only several Pokemon, I felt this was inaccurate so I opted for the phrase "many Pokemon" instead.

I changed the the name of the scarf set to simply Choice Scarf since I felt the old name wasn't very creative to begin with. However, unless creative names are banned, I choose to keep the second set's name (if anyone knows where I can view a thread on the rules for set names, that would be great). I've talked to multiple people about set names so far, and most people are neutral and don't know of any official rulings.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
HeaLnDeaL

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[OVERVIEW]

Volkraken swoops out of its underwater abyss and threatens the metagame with its fearsome Special Attack and its ability to punish switch-ins with Analytic. Its rare typing gives it powerful STAB moves that complement its Special Attack while simultaneously giving Volkraken good coverage. Collectively, these traits allow Volkraken to perform multiple offensive roles and allow it to either be a revenge killer or a wallbreaker.

However, one of the more dubious aspects about Volkraken is its odd Speed tier that leaves it somewhere between being an all-out sweeper and an Analytic abuser. As a result, Volkraken's item choice is a big factor in what role it can perform, often leading it into the role of a Choice attacker. Unfortunately, being weak to Stealth Rock and susceptible to all other entry hazards somewhat reduces its own switch-in opportunities to switch in. Overall, Volkraken tries to control the switch game on the opposing side of the field, but simultaneously has some trouble gaining switches itself. That said, Volkraken still has the potential to dish out massive damage and maybe even reveal a few surprises along the way, while its access to sacrificial moves such as Memento helps to differentiate it from other powerful attackers.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 2: Surf / Hydro Pump
move 4: U-turn / Memento / Destiny Bond
item: Choice Scarf

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fire Blast is a fairly reliable STAB move with more firepower than its alternatives. Surf or Hydro Pump rounds out Volkraken's STAB coverage. Scald is an alternative, but might miss KOs against Mega Charizard Y, Landorus-T, and specially defensive Gliscor. Power Gem hits Flying-types and Mollux and can hit Mega Charizard Y especially hard. Flash Cannon is only for Mega Altaria should Volkraken's team need to hit it.

Destiny Bond can be used against some slower threats for a surprise KO; this is particularly useful when Volkraken is blazingly fast thanks to Choice Scarf. Memento can be used as a sacrificial move to help Volkraken's next teammate set up. U-turn allows Volkraken to keep momentum and lets it have more flexibility in the switch wars that it aims to control.

Set Details
========

Choice Scarf allows Volkraken to outspeed most Pokemon and its choice of nature comes down to a few threats. With a Modest nature, Volkraken outspeeds the likes of Mega Manectric and Mega Beedrill. With a Timid nature, it can outspeed Aurumoth even after it has a single Speed boost up, as well as Mega Aerodactyl and Choice Scarf Landorus-T. spacing However, regardless of the choice of nature, the EVs are standard for a special sweeper.

The choice of ability is fairly subjective, though Volkraken normally appreciates Analytic to be able to punish the foe for switching in and out. However, Infiltrator has the ability to bypass Substitute, Light Screen, and Reflect, which can land a surprise hit against foes such as Substitute Tomohawk.

Usage Tips
========

For the most part, Choice Scarf Volkraken plays like a standard hit-and-run revenge killer. However, what Volkraken lacks in coverage, it makes up for with a few niche tricks. While predicting obvious switches is always helpful, Analytic Volkraken shouldn't be be too afraid to use Hydro Pump or Fire Blast most of the time. That said, foes with abilities that grant immunity to Fire or Water are usually a sign that trouble is on the way, so risk-reward decisions becomes important. However, Volkraken with U-turn can opt to play it safe and avoid these risky situations.

For those not opting for U-turn, at the start of the match, it is strongly advised to begin thinking about which threat is best for Volkraken to use Memento or Destiny Bond against (if any at all). These moves are highly conditional but can provide fantastic team support if used properly. That said, most of the time Volkraken would rather provide assistance by using its attacking options and staying alive.

Team Options
========

Physically bulky partners, especially those that can take Ground-, Rock-, and Electric-type attacks, are great partners to Volkraken in terms of type synergy. Cawmodore works surprisingly well, but both it and Volkraken are wrecked by Kyurem-B's Fusion Bolt due to Teravolt. However, Cawmodore gets a special mention for Memento sets. There are few things that would make it worth it for Volkraken to sacrifice itself, but providing support to one of the most fearsome Belly Drum sweepers in the metagame is arguably one of the more worthy causes available.

Spinners and Defoggers are helpful, if not mandatory, as Volkraken greatly appreciates entry hazard removal support, especially with all of the switches involved on a Choice set. Colossoil in particular can be a great partner, as it is immune to the Electric-type attacks that Volkraken fears.

Trappers such as Gothitelle or physical attackers such as Colossoil can help get rid of the special walls that plague Volkraken. Generally, Volkraken should always be played with a teammate or two that can take out Chansey.

[SET]
name: Count Kraken and the Thirst for Power (non-joke name goes here in parenthesis)
move 2: Hydro Pump / Scald
move 4: Memento / Destiny Bond / U-turn
item: Choice Specs / Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fire Blast is a Volkraken's reliable Fire-type STAB move with more firepower than its alternatives, and the extra power over Flamethrower really adds up when stacked with its Volkraken's item and a potential Analytic boost. Hydro Pump is Volkraken's most powerful Water-type STAB move. Scald is an option as well, but might miss KOs against Mega Charizard Y or Assault Vest Landorus-T. Hydro Pump and Scald can actually be used on the same set if you forego Volkraken's last moveslot, as together they provide both power and utility. Surf, however, is not recommended on this set due to the lack of Pokemon that it can KO that Scald cannot. Power Gem hits Flying-types and Mollux and can hit Mega Charizard Y especially hard, while Flash Cannon hits Mega Altaria.

Memento can be used as a sacrificial move to help Volkraken's next teammate set up. Destiny Bond can be used against some slower threats for a surprise KO. U-turn allows Volkraken to keep momentum and lets it have more flexibility in the switch wars that it aims to control.

Set Details
========

Choice Specs makes Volkraken stupidly powerful, while Life Orb gives it power and flexibility at the cost of health. Both items play quite differently in terms of switching, but both either can be used to let Volkraken muscle through similar threats. A Modest nature is usually preferred for the extra power, though Timid lets Volkraken outspeed a few rare threats such as Jolly Excadrill. Even with Life Orb and U-turn, Volkraken should still use an Attack-lowering nature due to its pitiful base Attack. The EVs are standard for a special attacker.

The choice of ability can be a toss-up at times, though Volkraken normally appreciates Analytic to be able to punish the foe for switching in and out, something that is especially handy when the boost stacks with its Volkraken's item's boost. However, Infiltrator has the ability to bypass Substitute, Light Screen, and Reflect, which can land a surprise hit against foes such as Substitute Tomohawk.

Usage Tips
========

This set plays as a typical wallbreaker for the most part. If using Analytic, Volkraken's Fire Blast and Hydro Pump will hit most foes extremely hard on the switch, so they are the safest moves for prediction's sake. However, Volkraken must beware of potential Pokemon that can absorb its STAB moves if holding Choice Specs; having to switch out because you mispredicted eats up valuable momentum. In general, Life Orb Volkraken doesn't fear foes with Flash Fire as much, as in the event of a misprediction it can just hit them hard with a Water-type move next turn.

At the start of the match, start thinking about which threat is best for Volkraken to use Memento or Destiny Bond against, if it is using either of those moves. Sacrificing Volkraken is a big decision and should generally been done after Volkraken has expended much of its wallbreaking potential.

Team Options
========

Spinners and Defoggers are helpful, if not mandatory, as Volkraken greatly appreciates entry hazard removal, especially with all of the switches involved on a Choice set. Colossoil in particular can be a great partner, as it is immune to the Electric-type attacks that Volkraken fears. Due to its sometimes lackluster Speed, Volkraken also appreciates Sticky Web support from Necturna, but this hinders Analytic boosts except in instances of switching.

In terms of type synergy, physically bulky partners that can take Ground-, Rock-, and Electric-type attacks are great partners to Volkraken. Cawmodore fills this niche surprisingly well, but both it and Volkraken can be defeated by Kyurem-B's Fusion Bolt due to Teravolt. However, Cawmodore gets a special mention for Memento sets. There are few situations that would make it worth it for Volkraken to sacrifice itself, but providing support to one of the most fearsome Belly Drum sweepers in the metagame is arguably one of the more worthy causes available.

Trappers such as Gothitelle or physical attackers such as Colossoil can help rid the special walls that plague Volkraken. Generally, Volkraken should always be played with a teammate or two that can take out Chansey.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Flamethrower has better accuracy than Fire Blast, but the loss in power is noticeable. Assault Vest is handy for letting Volkraken take some special attacks, most notably Thunderbolt. In general, however, Volkraken appreciates extra Speed or power more. Hidden Power Grass is an option to hit the rare Water / Ground types such as Quagsire, whereas Hidden Power Ground allows Volkraken to hit Cyclohm and Mollux. Substitute can be used to avoid status, most notably paralysis. Red Card can be useful if a faster foe hits Volkraken; the foe will be forced to switch out, letting Volkraken land an Analytic boost against a new target. Though this is not reliable, it does allow for another opportunity for Volkraken to abuse Analytic.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Water-types**: With resistances to Volkraken's STAB moves, bulky Water-types can usually come in safely and chip away with their STAB attacks. Arghonaut in particular counters Volkraken, while Krilowatt threatens Volkraken back with its Electric-type STAB moves. Though they are rarer, Kingdra absolutely tanks Volkraken's STAB attacks and Gastrodon can potentially net a Storm Drain boost from Volkraken's Water-type moves.

**Chansey**: Taking neutral damage from all of Volkraken's moves and shrugging the blows off, Chansey can come in and Toxic stall Volkraken or whittle away its HP with Seismic Toss. Switching in on a Choice Specs + Analytic set cannot be done unless healthy, however. Once in, hits become softer due to Chansey's naturally lower Speed.

**Dragon-types**: Most Dragon-types will resist both of Volkraken's STAB moves. Latias can take multiple hits and recover the damage. Garchomp can KO with Earthquake and doesn't have to worry about much other than a Scald burn. Cylclohm has Electric-type STAB attacks, but has to worry about taking multiple hits due to its weaker Special Defense.

**Bulky Electric-types**: Most of the bulkier Electric-types have the potential to tank a lot of Volkraken's moves, but they still don't want to switch in. Rotom-W is a stands out for resisting both of Volkraken's STAB moves, while Plasmanta is notable for being immune to Volkraken's Water-type moves (but it doesn't want to take a Fire Blast at all).

**Powerful Neutral Priority**: Boosted or Choice Band priority moves can be a thorn in Volkraken's side, potentially allowing it to be KOed before it can move. However, if Volkraken survives a priority move, then its Analytic will activate.

**Mollux**: Thanks to Dry Skin, Mollux can take hits well and can potentially regain HP if brought in on a Water-type move. It fears Hidden Power Ground, which is thankfully rare, and Power Gem, so it should only be switching in once Volkraken is known to be Choice-locked into a different move.

**Fast Rock-types**: Aerodactyl and Stratagem can generally take out non-Choice Scarf Volkraken, though they can't switch in directly. Focus Sash Stratagem can mess up even Choice Scarf variants of Volkraken, however.

**Paralysis**: Being paralyzed hinders Volkraken's sweeping ability, but it also can make Analytic even deadlier.

2/2

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Implemented all changes. However, I do have one question, since you offered two different wordings for a single line that was repeated between the two sets in team options.

"Spinners and Defoggers are helpful, if not mandatory, as Volkraken greatly appreciates entry hazard removal support, especially with all of the switches involved on a Choice set."

"Spinners and Defoggers are helpful, if not mandatory, as Volkraken greatly appreciates entry hazard removal, especially with all of the switches involved on a Choice set."

In first instance, you included the move support, but not in the second. Which is correct, or does it even matter? GatoDelFuego

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Implemented all changes. However, I do have one question, since you offered two different wordings for a single line that was repeated between the two sets in team options.

"Spinners and Defoggers are helpful, if not mandatory, as Volkraken greatly appreciates entry hazard removal support, especially with all of the switches involved on a Choice set."

"Spinners and Defoggers are helpful, if not mandatory, as Volkraken greatly appreciates entry hazard removal, especially with all of the switches involved on a Choice set."

In first instance, you included the move support, but not in the second. Which is correct, or does it even matter? GatoDelFuego
ah, my bad. Both with support is probably the technically better option

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)