Core Laddering Challenge [BH, Inh, 1v1]

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm a bit late with this due to not being able to ask for a new Monotype core. We'll get a new one next shift then! I know they have a semi-separate thing anyway so it shouldn't be too big of a problem. I'll update OP with winners quickly, and ask the winners to submit their teams with an explanation.

We'll switch from STABmons and Tier Shift to Almost Any Ability and Balanced Hackmons again! This one will be a little shorter than normal, but I'll extend the deadline till past the new month, which is a long one anyway. This way we can be up to date in April again. PU will stay, and the "permanent" Monotype will be gone for one session, because of the problems I addressed earlier.

Almost Any Ability

and

Balanced Hackmons

and

PU

and

E4 Flint

-inactive in BH due corrupt leader-
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
might give it a try as clc pvt ltd for bh and/or E4 bad team

Last edited:
Monotype:

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Return
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flamethrower

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Glare
- Dragon Dance

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Healing Wish
- Defog
- Energy Ball
- Roost

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Iron Head

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head
- Outrage
- Ice Beam

Basically I send out Zygarde first. Use Glare to paralyse a few Pokemon. If I have time, I set up and try sweeping. When that's done, I send out either Latios or Altaria, click the relevant attack. Latias is basically for defog, the occasional water/ground type and for Healing Wish in case something gets burned or paralyzed or something. Then I simply send out Kyurem-B. Unless my opponent has a fairy or steel type, I click Outrage. If they have a Fairy, Iron Head. For Steel I usually use Fusion Bolt. Garchomp is the same thing basically. Literally not strategy here tbh, send something out and spam Outrage. Basically it. Only teams I've had trouble with are Steel and really bulky Psychic. Garchomp/Zygarde can usually take care of steel once I get rid of the inevitable Skarmory. Fairies are surprisingly no problem at all. Bulky Psychic on the other hand is a real pain. Especially Mew. Damn thing burns all my Pokemon. But spamming Outrage usually solves the problem.

STABMons:

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Secret Sword
- Origin Pulse
- Icy Wind

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
Timid Nature
- Sing
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Boomburst

Snorlax @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fake Out
- Earthquake

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Precipice Blades
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Pin Missile
- Bullet Punch

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Transform
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
- Aromatherapy
The sets are pretty simple. Chansey for stopping special attacks and transforming into my opponent's sweepers. Landorus for setting up rocks and killing Diggers. I really like Snorlax though. It's much more bulky than most of the other Fakespeeders. Belly Drum is just ridiculous. EQ is for ghosts and steels, though to be fair, I should probably have replaced it with Fire Punch to hit Gengar. +6 Extremespeed OHKOs pretty much everything else anyway. The Scizor set is one of my favourites. Shift Gear is Shift Gear, Gear Grind is super powerful and is boosted by Technician. Pin Missile also gets a Technician boost and doesn't take Barbs damage from Ferrothorn. Bullet Punch is for prority, though I suppose it could be replaced with Roost/Heal Order. Keldeo is self explanatory. Scarf over Specs because I get outsped too easily. Pidgeot is the same. No Guard Sing + Boomburst/Hurricane. Heat Wave for Steel types.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Here's the pre-tier shift team that won last round's PU CLC. I've actually had this team for a long time, where Stunfisk is the only member that has changed. At first glance, it looks like stall and plays very similarly, but it's actually hazard stack, with Roselia and Stunfisk as hazard setters, Poliwrath and Avalugg as phazers, Purugly as defog absorb, and Haunter as a spin blocker.

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Stunfisk was often the lead on this team (depending on preview), and worked out well as glue for Avalugg, Poliwrath and Roselia. It takes flying spam like a champ for Roselia and Poliwrath, as well as Rock and Steel attacks aimed at Avalugg. Likewise, Stunfisk helped to remove Steel and Rock Types so that Purugly and Haunter had an easier time cleaning after hazard damage had accumulated. It was also able to come in on predicted Volt Switches aimed at Poliwrath very easily and get up a guaranteed Stealth Rock using its electric immunity. Though it's standard, Earth Power with Toxic is a nasty combo, as grounded Poison types / Steel types who are naturally immune to Toxic get hit SE by STAB Earth Power. The high chance for paralysis offered by Discharge + Static helped out a lot by letting Poliwrath use Rest before it was KO'd, Roselia get one more layer of Spikes up, etc.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Relaxed Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Circle Throw

Poliwrath is a staple on this team, as it was chosen for its phazing, its ability to counter physical threats with high usage like Sneasel, to take Knock Off spam (as Roselia and Haunter can't afford a Knock Off), and as a useful water immunity so shell smashers like Barb didn't walk all over the rest of the team. It worked especially well here, as it was able to protect Stunfisk from Water/Ice hits, Haunter from Dark, Roselia from Ice/Fire, and Avalugg from Rock/Steel/Fire. 4 EVs are placed in speed, despite a speed reducing nature for the purpose of outspeeding other RestTalk Poliwrath.

Roselia @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Spikes

Roselia laying Spikes in tandem with Stunfisk laying Stealth Rock exerted huge pressure on any sort of team I faced on the ladder, and almost always lured out my opponent's spinner or defogger. If a spinner was seen, Haunter was an easy switch-in. If a defogger was seen, Purugly was likewise an easy switch-in to gain +2 attack via Defiant. I sometimes used more speed EVs (to hit 193 speed total, to outspeed 64 spe Poliwrath by 1 point), or Sleep Powder over Synthesis, but this was its most reliable spread and moveset in working on hazard stack. The EVs in defense allow it to take a Knock Off from Leafeon, who the team has some issues with, and KO back with Sludge Bomb. In terms of resistances, it took Fairy/Electric/Grass hits for Poliwrath, specially based Fighting attacks for Avalugg and Purugly, and Grass/Water hits for Stunfisk, all while providing a secondary status absorb for the team.

Avalugg @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roar
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Avalanche

Avalugg was used here primarily for its ability to spin and accumulate entry hazard damage on the other team via Roar. I used Sturdy for a long time, but Own Tempo proved to be more useful due to both Chatot spam and the fact that entry hazard damage on Avalugg often negated Sturdy anyway (especially Tspikes, if Roselia wasn't available to absorb them). Avalugg sponges all kinds of hits for the team, and shares especially good synergy with Roselia, as it takes physically based ice hits from threats like Piloswine with no problem. Avalugg almost always lured out the other team's Ninetales, which could either be Roared out as it Nasty Plotted up (with my opponent assuming I would switch out) or, if it KO'd Avalugg with Fire Blast, Purugly was easily able to force it out or revenge it. Ridding the other team of Ninetales was often my win condition, as Ninetales' great coverage allowed it to punch some serious holes in this team.

Purugly @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Defiant
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Frustration

Purugly is great on this team for several reasons. It's here for the obvious defog absorb, its priority, the momentum it provides via U-Turn, Knock Off on Eviolite abusers, and for the ability to revenge threats to this team like Ninetales via its high speed stat. +2 Silk Scarf Purugly eats most unprepared teams alive, especially after Stealth Rock and Spikes damage.

Haunter @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave

Last, but not least, is Haunter. Haunter finishes out this potent hazard core by acting as my spin blocker. Not only that, but it forces tons of switches via Disable (and thus, more hazard damage). I also chose it for its ability to clean with its decent speed stat, as well as the resistances and immunities it provides for Stunfisk (Grass/Ground), Avalugg (Fighting), Purugly (Fighting) and Poliwrath (Fairy/Grass).

This team is obviously outdated now because of the recent tier shift, but the same general core can be used for stall, with Lickilicky (or Pawniard) over Purugly, and Misdreavus over Haunter. Hope you guys enjoy the team! :-)
Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Relaxed Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Circle Throw

Avalugg @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roar
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Avalanche

Roselia @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Spikes

Purugly @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Defiant
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Frustration

Haunter @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)